Post-Match Reaction: SAINTS 3-0 Vitesse Arnhem - Europa League R3

Saint-Armstrong

MotM vs Vitesse Arnhem (Europa League QR3 Home Leg 2015/16)  

397 members have voted

1. 1. MotM vs Vitesse Arnhem (Europa League QR3 Home Leg 2015/16)

• Stekelenburg
    • Targett
    • Soares
    • Yoshida
    • Fonte
    • Clasie
    • Wanyama
    • Davis, S
    • Mané
    • Tadic
    • Pellè
    • Juanmi
    • Long
    • Reed

Apparently the problems with Caulker are that he makes bad decisions (e.g. passes to someone in his own area rather than hoofs it out to safety) and loses concentration occasionally (so his attacker gets away and gets a chance on goal). As I see it, Yoshida is no different (possibly worse - I do remember Caulker being good with the ball at his feet) but I agree he has improved. I don't consider him good enough to be anything other than 4th/5th, however, if Saints are a team with aspirations. It was apparent that Vitesse did seem to want to attack the Targett/Yoshida partnership as they saw it as the weak area and I think that was the case. Possibly the knew of Yoshida because of his time in Holland, but either way I think he's now the equivalent of Jos and should drop down the pecking order.

It was interesting to note how many times Clasie showed for the ball and didn't receive it from others, especially the centre backs which was another annoying thing: just going to the wings and not mixing it up enough. It was an ok performance at best but in the fury of the PL isn't likely to be good enough to achieve anything other than mid-table obscurity.

So in summary: Yoshida's not good enough and the team have played well in very little spells only so far.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jul/31/maarten-stekelenburg-southampton-holland

Stekelenberg very impressed with the attitude at the club.

Stekelenburg has been impressed by his new team-mates in pre-season, particularly their fierce work ethic. “I think they can achieve a lot,” he said. “The mentality of this team is really good, if I compare with other teams I have played for. They work their ******** off for every second of the game, and also in training. ”

Good to hear :)

What game were you watching? It's not like Yoshida hit a ball into the middle, leaving us open. He also took a look before clearing. The ball was cut out near the touchline - an area of the pitch where things are usually dealt with (do you actually believe in analytics or are you happy to reason backwards and fit the data when it suits yoy?). Frankly, Davis (already on a silly yellow iirc) should have been stronger - his challenge had hallmarks of Leicester's opener and Fonte should have been quicker to sense the danger as he got turned way too easily. Numerous things, including Yoshida's initial clearance, can be identified and picked apart; then again, you don't see the whole picture.

Actually his yellow was a "one for the team" type. Targett went to press the same player as Davis and left a big gap in behind himself that the Arnhem players exploited. The Arnhem player was on his bike and Davis realised the break was on a pulled him back in a rather cynical tug to stop the counter attack.

Other than that post is spot on I reckon.

Edited by doddisalegend

Apparently the problems with Caulker are that he makes bad decisions (e.g. passes to someone in his own area rather than hoofs it out to safety) and loses concentration occasionally (so his attacker gets away and gets a chance on goal). As I see it, Yoshida is no different (possibly worse - I do remember Caulker being good with the ball at his feet) but I agree he has improved. I don't consider him good enough to be anything other than 4th/5th, however, if Saints are a team with aspirations. It was apparent that Vitesse did seem to want to attack the Targett/Yoshida partnership as they saw it as the weak area and I think that was the case. Possibly the knew of Yoshida because of his time in Holland, but either way I think he's now the equivalent of Jos and should drop down the pecking order.

It was interesting to note how many times Clasie showed for the ball and didn't receive it from others, especially the centre backs which was another annoying thing: just going to the wings and not mixing it up enough. It was an ok performance at best but in the fury of the PL isn't likely to be good enough to achieve anything other than mid-table obscurity.

So in summary: Yoshida's not good enough and the team have played well in very little spells only so far.

and got no joy from it Yoshida was more than a match for Arnhem's attack. People do now we kept a clean sheet last night don't they?

I think the logic is that we can't afford the kind of creative player that wins games (at best we can sign cheaper options to develop into that player, like Mane), so we sign hard-working players with some creativity to contribute at both ends instead.

There are cheap options like Hakim Ziyech from Twente, a left and right footed midfielder who is up for grabs as Twente is in financial problems. 5 or 6 million will do at the moment but Saints would have to hurry...

Actually his yellow was a "one for the team" type. Targett went to press the same player as Davis and left a big gap in behind himself that the Arnhem players exploited. The Arnhem player was on his bike and Davis realised the break was on a pulled him back in a rather cynical tug to stop the counter attack.

Other than that post is spot on I reckon.

Can definitely see why Davis did it. Vitesse were breaking but play seemed pretty far out (iirc) for Davis to have to take the player out.

really nice long write up on NBCsports.com. They have always been very pro-Saints, particularly Joe Prince-Wright, the last few years and seem to always highlight "our story".

After 12-year absence, Southampton wholeheartedly embrace European return

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/31/after-12-year-absence-southampton-wholeheartedly-embrace-european-return/#comments

great article and cannot wait to see Saints in action against Everton. First time back in the UK for several years.

What a great 'feel good' factor around the club there appears to be and we should really give the Europa a great shot. A couple more signings and we will have the strength in depth to compete on all fronts I think.

heady times to be a Saints fan!

really nice long write up on NBCsports.com. They have always been very pro-Saints, particularly Joe Prince-Wright, the last few years and seem to always highlight "our story".

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/31/after-12-year-absence-southampton-wholeheartedly-embrace-european-return/#comments

Thanks! Nice article.

great article and cannot wait to see Saints in action against Everton. First time back in the UK for several years.

Packed to the rafters, crowd over 32000. Actual crowd was 30850, there were plenty of empty seats, and of course Vitesse did not sell out their area.

"Sadly, Liebherr passed away in 2010 and hasn’t been around for much of their rise" - what a very odd thing to write, of course he has not been around much, at least not in body.

Otherwise nice piece.

Did we get any info on Rodriguez?

Would be good to know what happened. It was quite clear he was going to play (be on the bench) as all the PR was about it, I only heard on Solent when I left the car to walk to the ground. Bit concerned something must have happened late on.

Would be good to know what happened. It was quite clear he was going to play (be on the bench) as all the PR was about it, I only heard on Solent when I left the car to walk to the ground. Bit concerned something must have happened late on.

Adam Blackmore 22 hours ago

#saintsfc debutant Jordy Clasie came off with a tight hamstring & Jay Rodriguez not risked but will play v Espanyol on Sunday

More good stuff from NBC.

That would be because JPW is a saints fan. Used to play footy with him, nice lad.

Thanks for that. Good to get a second look at some of the action.

Would anyone be able to point out the parts where Yoshida makes the mistakes i've seen referred to? At 5:00 mins into the first half video he does a headed clearance while going backwards and the second ball isn't dealt with by Clasie. He then helps push the attacker out wide to reduce the angle for the shot which goes wide but as this wasn't on target I don't think this is the one people are talking about.

The other chance I remembered occurs at about 25:00 mins into the second half video where Yoshi goes to clear a ball to the sideline and it's nodded back in by Brown (I think). Davis then let's his man go past him and Fontes man goes the other side of him resulting in the shot on target. Is this the one that is apparently all Yoshida's fault or am I missing another one?

Video is all right there if anyone wants to check. Personally I didn't see an awful lot wrong from him in either case is all.

Honestly I do believe Jayrod was held back because European football may not suit him at the moment.

The tackles were flying in without the official blowin up Which surprised me. To be honest I prefer this than the nancy officials in the EPL.

Well, that was fun to watch. Can't believe all the dicks streaming out of the ground at 89 minutes though. Shame on you.

Well I was one of the dicks that left as the added time board went up! I usually stay to clap the players off then have a leisurely stroll to the train station but as there were no trains, my van was parked 2 miles from the ground, I live 2 hours away and had to be up at 5.30am, leaving 3 minutes early probably meant I was in bed at 12 rather than 12.30, is that ok with you?!

The ticket office also managed to sell 2 tickets for one seat by us. Add the delays getting in meant we had 4 people & a Steward arguing it all out for the 1st 10 minutes of the game. They were moved to other sold seats that were no shows. (They seemed to have a terminal down the front to check stuff like this)

Pedant note. The official attendance is always the number of tickets sold. Never deducts those stuck in Eurotunnel or incapable of walking from the pub. ;)

Thought I'd share this short vid of the Vitesse fans from last Thursday's match at St.Mary's. I thought the majority of them were superb, particularly given how the game went:

Hope those going to the game tomorrow night have a great time and do us all proud! Gutted to not be out there, I enjoyed the jaunt to Bucharest back in 2003!

(apologies I don't know how to embed the video into this thread, please feel free to do so if you know how)