Post-Match Reaction: SAINTS 3-0 Vitesse Arnhem - Europa League R3

Saint-Armstrong

MotM vs Vitesse Arnhem (Europa League QR3 Home Leg 2015/16)  

397 members have voted

1. 1. MotM vs Vitesse Arnhem (Europa League QR3 Home Leg 2015/16)

• Stekelenburg
    • Targett
    • Soares
    • Yoshida
    • Fonte
    • Clasie
    • Wanyama
    • Davis, S
    • Mané
    • Tadic
    • Pellè
    • Juanmi
    • Long
    • Reed

No no no and no. If we did that and lost there would be hell on this board demanding Koeman is sacked for incompetence.

Not enough no's there. The qualification games are the most important games of the season. They must be won to make all the effort to qualify last season not be wasted. Also, a failure to qualify would be very bad for England's coefficient.

Good performance from everyone. Fonte, Wanyama and Mane were absolutely amazing. Special mention for Vitesse fans, they were quality throughout.

I wouldn't mind seeing Koeman rest a couple of players in the away leg but not lots. I'd go for...

Stekelenburg

Cedric - Caulker -Yoshida - Targett

Reed - Wanyama - JWP

Long - Pelle - Jaunmi

As good as it could have gone, made our home advantage fully count. A composed and confident performance, albiet a slightly nervy opening from us. A few of the new lads clearly still finding their feet, but I thought Soares looked an exciting outlet on the right side. Junami came on and made an impact, was impressed by his composure and control (and a bit of bite...!)

Wanyama was the standout. Clasie didn't really show up, so he had to do the work of 2...and boy, he did that. Big save from Stek at a crucial moment, and we look in good shape.

Mane was different class tonight, was taking p1ss at times and his speed terrified Vitesse. Vic was a brick wall and immense and I was impressed with Cedric for his first professional game for us. We weren't in top gear but eased to a win. Great stuff.

Boring first half and a gripping 2nd one.

Wanyama was shocking while Claisie was class.

Thought our new Dutch keeper was poor while the ref did not let the game flow at all.

Oh, and it was great to see Hodgson back at St Mary's again.

Probably explains why RK decided to leave J-Rod out of the squad.

I was watching a dodgy picture from a bar near Malaga , but I thought we were pretty good. First half excellent , second a bit so -so but the result is everything . Mane looked class but I thought classie ( spelling) struggled . I'm a bit polluted so won't try and spell his name , but the locals I spoke to here reckon the little spainiah fella is class , and the set up for long was special . Let's hope we've got a diamond on our hands .

Can't see us failing to score in the away leg what with Vitesse having to go all-out gung-ho to turn that score around (if indeed their ambition isn't limited to just trying to win on the night in their home stadium).

Means we can go with more-or-less a second string with a few of the first-teamers on the bench if things get hairy.

Something like:

Gazza

McCarthy - Turnbull - Caulker - Martina

Reed - JWP - Wanyama

Davis

Long - Juanmi

No reserve team please. We do want to progress, without taking needless risks, surely

Second half we looked a bit tired, hopefully we're still getting up to speed. Mane in particular went from being the main danger man to being a bit sloppy.

I really think an in form Tadic is crucial to this team, his creativity and willingness to create are invaluable and different to others (perhaps Juanmi can offer this too, his composure for the third goal was superb). However, in the second half Tadic showed the other side of his game - looking for a free kick rather than getting the ball under control, dwelling on the ball for too long etc.

In hindsight it was a mistake to put on Juanmi for Clasie - not because of the individuals, but because we completely lost control of the midfield. Some people around me were clamouring to "go for it a bit more", but actually having four forwards on the pitch counts for nothing if you can't build attacks. As soon as Reed came on we looked assured again. Clasie didn't really DO much of note, but he tends to take up good positions and plug gaps - it's like his main role was to shoo players into the path of Vic - a fate I wouldn't wish on anyone!

Wanyama was brilliant, Fonte oozed class. Targett grows in confidence with each game. Thought Soares looked encouraging first half but lost his edge second, looked symptomatic of lacking fitness.

Absolutely delighted with the score, although feels like it flattered us a little. Thoroughly enjoyable evening, the points above are more of a critique rather than being negative. First half we really played with confidence at times which gives me hope for the season ahead.

Not a vintage performance but it didn't have to be against a meek Vitesse side. Vic, Mané and Cedric all very good while the GK came through when it mattered. Clasie was a concern, some very underhit passes and Vitesse played around him with ease. This should have been a gentle induction for him, against a familiar side that largely stood off us. The pace and power of the premier league is a whole other matter.

Edited by shurlock

Just back from the game. Cracking day. Great atmosphere. Bossed the first half. Took our foot off the pedal in the second, understandable though. MotM goes to Wanyama - a majestic performance. Special mention to the sometimes maligned steve Davis - thought he had a great game. We march on!

P.s. add another quality CB and Wanyama clone to the squad and we'll be invincible!

I thought Vic & Davis were superb,

Have a feeling Mane & Cedric will be our star performers this season,we will struggle to keep Mane if he keeps getting better,not many wingers in the PL have the speed and footballing brain he does throw in the ability to score goals and you have yourself a superb player,not saying he is as good as but he is very much in the mould of Hazard.

We do look like we need another CM though,that polish dude from Sevilla and Van Dijk and we can start to get excited

Brian Mcdermott was at the game apparently. Probably watching Wanyama or Mane. ****** picked a good game!

Pretty sure Arsenal have already got one eye on Vic reading media reports. Those two (and a pre-injury form JRod) could be the ones we struggle to keep next summer.

Thought our new Dutch keeper was poor while the ref did not let the game flow at all.

This is a joke right....

Mane was different class tonight, was taking p1ss at times and his speed terrified Vitesse. Vic was a brick wall and immense and I was impressed with Cedric for his first professional game for us. We weren't in top gear but eased to a win. Great stuff.

agree with you. I hope clasie is just not up to speed/fully fit as there was a huge Schneiderlin shaped hole in midfield.

Mane was brilliant 1st half and then lost (again) when out wide.

Vic was just brilliant. a massive part of us keeping a clean sheet.

soares looks pretty handy and though Targett did well. Thought his yellow was very soft.

Pelle still moves very little and at times, just wanders around. Then scored a lovely goal

Juanmi with a nice assist too

I thought their Number 20 was mustered when he came on. Dont think he gave the ball away once

Edited by Batman

Not a vintage performance but it didn't have to be against a meek Vitesse side. Vic, Mané and Cedric all very good while the GK came through when it mattered. Clasie was a concern, some very underhit passes and Vitesse played around him with ease. This should have been a gentle induction for him, against a familiar side that largely stood off us. The pace and power of the premier league is a whole other matter.

Nice summary......

I would only add that Tadic is a very poor footballer indeed.... He was carried all game by his team mates....did nothing but stand and watch the game...oh and fall over a lot...

Our worse player by a mile.

Wanyama was totally outstanding as was Mane....

Have a feeling Mane & Cedric will be our star performers this season,we will struggle to keep Mane if he keeps getting better,not many wingers in the PL have the speed and footballing brain he does throw in the ability to score goals and you have yourself a superb player,not saying he is as good as but he is very much in the mould of Hazard.

We do look like we need another CM though, that polish dude from Sevilla and Van Dijk and we can start to get excited

Just casually throwing in there 'that Polish dude' who happens to be worth about 25 million. Unless saints pull one out the biggest, most unforseen bag in the history of football, that ain't gonna happen bruv

Just casually throwing in there 'that Polish dude' who happens to be worth about 25 million. Unless saints pull one out the biggest, most unforseen bag in the history of football, that ain't gonna happen bruv

Only said the polish dude because I have no idea on how you spell it....We have been linked with him,and just because his release clause is £22m doesn't mean that's what he is worth/will go for

We can all live in hope though

Only said the polish dude because I have no idea on how you spell it....We have been linked with him,and just because his release clause is £22m doesn't mean that's what he is worth/will go for

We can all live in hope though

To be fair mate, I reckon you're not alone with the spelling. He must have had an absolute nightmare trying to learn how to spell that beast of a surname in primary school

Wanyama and Mane were a cut above. Clasie seemed to be rushing his passing and gave the ball away several times - presumably just nerves though, as he can clearly pass. Juanmi didn't get involved much, but that little chip for the goal was sublime, so he's definitely got good technique. Stekelenburg did everything asked of him. As for the rest, Targett and Cedric both got involved plenty, with the latter maybe a bit more of a threat, but also a bit less accurate off-loading it. Davis was his usual mediocre self, as was Pelle, though he garnished his usual showing of flicks-that-don't-quite-come-off with a brilliant finish. Tadic looked full of energy, so hopefully he's over whatever injury issue it was that hobbled him for the latter half of last season.

Really? I thought he had a good game closing down constantly like a little terrier and some nice passing nothing flashy but kept things ticking in midfield nicely. A far better performance tonight than the ones he was giving at the end of last season.

Really? I thought he had a good game closing down constantly like a little terrier and some nice passing nothing flashy but kept things ticking in midfield nicely. A far better performance tonight than the ones he was giving at the end of last season.

Don't pay any attention to his Davis views, he's got some very odd issue with him. Just have a look at his post history.

Good game from Davis I thought, tidy, skillful and hard working.

Respectfully disagree, Thought Clasie contributed very little whilst Wanyama was very competitive in the midfield (whilst not at his best). Although it is worth noting that one Clasie went off we seemed to lose control of the midfield (could be related).

Respectfully disagree, Thought Clasie contributed very little whilst Wanyama was very competitive in the midfield (whilst not at his best). Although it is worth noting that one Clasie went off we seemed to lose control of the midfield (could be related).

Just realised how much of a **** I look thinking this was serious.. my bad

We do look like we need another CM though,that polish dude from Sevilla and Van Dijk and we can start to get excited

I thought Mane was unplayable at times with the ball at his feet he is scarily good. Needs to work on other aspects of his game though put his team mates in trouble several times tonight with some truly horrible passing.

Please tell me I'm not the only one picking up on this blatant sarcasm?