Ollie Lancashire

saint_stevo

Lancashire had a good game... apart from giving O'Shea a five yard headstart on their first goal.... apart from numerous sliced clearances..... apart from letting Wellbeck get the run on him and then fouling him on the edge of the box for the second goal.

FFS what game were some of you watching?! I feel sorry for the guy, he's been thrust into a poor team and gets little protection but he patently isn't up to the job and had an absolute shocker yesterday - although not the only one to be fair to him.

forget about what the defenders do the reason we are bad defensively is because we don't defend as a team. against man u gillett was the only midfielder/striker defending further up the pitch. jan proved yet more tactical ineptitude by not getting his whole team defending. if he was watching the preston liverpool game yesterday he should have noticed that as soon as liverpool had the ball preston got 2 banks of 4 and the strikers were trying to make sure the defenders didnt get too much time on the ball. yesterday they attacked with their whole team and we defended with 4 defenders and a keeper. yes lancashire was made to look bad but he had 90 minutes of pretty much having to deal with wellbeck and then rooney on his own not to mention the runs from midfield from the likes of giggs and carrick that no-one else had picked up.

• 12 years later...
6 minutes ago, niceandfriendly said:

Well who saw this one coming

Tom Leach did.... he's been talking about Brighton doing this for a couple of days.

Tom Leach on Twitter: "A brilliant article. I have heard whispers that #SaintsFC have been considering doing something similar. It would be interesting to see how it would work and who they were/are looking at." / Twitter

Edited by Nolan
  • Like 2

Good theory behind the concept, the more realism and experience of what it means to be a pro can only help these U23 players, especially someone who was playing in L1 last season.

Will be interesting to see whether he ends up registered in our 25man squad, presumably if like usual we don't have 25 then he would be automatically added?

Would imagine on the pitch when he plays it would help a lot as the U23 league, esp Div 2 is definitely not L1 level and we surely will want to get promoted as being in div2 must make signing young talents a lot harder.

Will be interesting to see how often he plays.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, niceandfriendly said:

Well who saw this one coming

It's something that's been pioneered by a few clubs like Brighton.  Bring in an experienced pro in their mid-30s with the promise only that they'd play a few games but will get the chance to earn coaching badges, get coaching experience etc.  As a player he then essentially mentors on the pitch.  Brighton and others claim it speeds up young player development.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Nolan said:

Yes, that's right. Andrew Crofts has been guiding their U23 team as an overage player for the past few seasons.

I get the concept behind it but ffs of all the players we could have picked. Bring back Wayne Thomas, Chris Perry, Danny Butterfield, Michael Svensson, so many brilliant defensive players for us over the years. 

I think it shows a lack of belief and ambition from himself as well that at 32 - not especially old for a centreback - he'd rather play the odd game in our reserves than be an experienced leader for a lower league team.

• Confused 2

12 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

I get the concept behind it but ffs of all the players we could have picked. Bring back Wayne Thomas, Chris Perry, Danny Butterfield, Michael Svensson, so many brilliant defensive players for us over the years. 

I think it shows a lack of belief and ambition from himself as well that at 32 - not especially old for a centreback - he'd rather play the odd game in our reserves than be an experienced leader for a lower league team.

Perry would have been my shout, an exceptional reader of the game but perhaps we needed someone younger who’s still fit enough to play regular games at that level.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

You do realise that all those players you've mentioned retired years ago and couldn't compete even at this level. The idea is that you find a player that can still play and can demonstrate coaching and leadership on the pitch. 

You need to find a player coming to the end of their career that's happy with just playing U23 football and learning coaching.

I admit that I wouldn't have personally chosen Olly, but looking at his career stats he's played almost 350 games (admittedly mostly at League 1 & 2 level). That's a good chunk of experience to pass onto the young lads coming through.

15 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

None of these are still playing. They’d be coming in as a coach; which OL isn’t doing.  

I wouldn’t think too much in to it, Lancashire may be a shit player but he’s experienced making the transition from Kids to men’s football. That’s pretty much his only job, as I understand, he won’t be coaching, more of a mentor and leader in the dressing room. 

Given u23 teams now compete in men’s competitions, I’m surprised we haven’t seen it sooner. I suspect we’ll see more of these types coming in and eventually a return to reserve football (or even worse, u23 teams joining the Football league). 

46 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

You have not got the concept at all. The concept is for an experienced player to play in the B team. All the players you listed retired ages ago.

Chris Perry is 48 years old and last played a professional game 11 years ago! Perry and the others you suggested would not be capable of playing at PL2 standard in 2021.

Although Lancashire has been a League 1 and League 2 player throughout his career, he is still capable of playing at the standard of the academy teams.

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 2

You've all convinced me. I am now very excited that Ollie Lancashire is the shining beacon of hope to lead our youth players into careers of diving into tackles too early, getting turned easily and misjudging the flights of crosses as they sail over his head. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Which of their youth team players who were shit, got dumped early on and spent a career in the lower leagues have they hired then? 

37 year old Andrew Crofts and 35 year old Paul McShane both hired as player/coaches for Brighton and Man Utd under 23s.

Edited by Matthew Le God

5 minutes ago, Hatch said:

I'm more impressed with a 12 year bump,   than this actual signing itself.

Cheers.

6 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

37 year old Andrew Crofts and 35 year old Paul McShane both hired as player/coaches for Brighton and Man Utd under 23s.

Indeed. Crofts is now head U23 coach and they’ve restarted the process with Gary Dicker as player coach.

1 hour ago, SKD said:

None of these are still playing. They’d be coming in as a coach; which OL isn’t doing.  

I wouldn’t think too much in to it, Lancashire may be a shit player but he’s experienced making the transition from Kids to men’s football. That’s pretty much his only job, as I understand, he won’t be coaching, more of a mentor and leader in the dressing room. 

Given u23 teams now compete in men’s competitions, I’m surprised we haven’t seen it sooner. I suspect we’ll see more of these types coming in and eventually a return to reserve football (or even worse, u23 teams joining the Football league). 

Some clarity needed here, wasn't Kelvin Davis supposed to be our "transition mentor" to help the young players step up to the fist team and also to deal with their social concerns? 

Perhaps he is on his way out the door. I mean how much is the job of putting out the cones before a match worth?

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

You have not got the concept at all. The concept is for an experienced player to play in the B team. All the players you listed retired ages ago.

Chris Perry is 48 years old and last played a professional game 11 years ago! Perry and the others you suggested would not be capable of playing at PL2 standard in 2021.

Although Lancashire has been a League 1 and League 2 player throughout his career, he is still capable of playing at the standard of the academy teams.

Jack Stevens would have been the better, cheaper and more appropriate choice and dare one say the more obvious one.

9 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Jack Stevens would have been the better, cheaper and more appropriate choice and dare one say the more obvious one.

Do you mean 27 year old Jack Stephens who will be playing and training for our first team next season? He can't also regularly play for and train with the B team. So it isn't more obvious at all as it would make no sense what so ever.

The role is for an experienced pro in their 30s who has no more 1st team ambitions and is looking for a player/coach/mentor role to transition into coaching. Not for 27 year old 1st team players like Stephens.

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 1

Personally don't see the issue with this. Not all experience has to be of top level success. Look's like he's been hired as he knows the club, can help prepare those players for what they'll experience in trying to break into senior teams (the pitfalls along the way), and help prepare those who don't make it.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Do you mean 27 year old Jack Stephens who will be playing and training for our first team next season? He can't also regularly play for and train with the B team. So it isn't more obvious at all as it would make no sense what so ever.

The role is for an experienced pro in their 30s who has no more 1st team ambitions and is looking for a player/coach/mentor role to transition into coaching. Not for 27 year old 1st team players like Stephens.

Maybe the point is that Stephens shouldn’t be first team? 

5 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Maybe the point is that Stephens shouldn’t be first team? 

It wouldn't be a very good point. Stephens isn't good enough to be a first team starter for us in the PL, but as 3rd or 4th choice he is fine.

He certainly shouldn't be banished to B team football player/coach/mentor. Nor would that be remotely appealing to him, he still has 5/6+ years left at least as a footballer and the wages that come with it compared to what Saints will be paying Lancashire for his role. 

Edited by Matthew Le God

18 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

No he wouldn't. It requires someone capable of playing at League 1 or 2 level in the 2021/22 season. Lancashire was doing that last season. Hammond has not played a professional game for 6 years! 

Why League 1/2 level shouldn’t we be aiming higher?

If you were to hire someone in your job to train others wouldn’t you want an expert or someone better than below average quality to teach others?

Just now, Give it to Ron said:

If you were to hire someone in your job to train others wouldn’t you want an expert or someone better than below average quality to teach others?

A player still capable of playing at a higher level than League 1 will still want wages of Championship level and may aswell continue their career in a club's 1st team.

The role is for an experienced pro to mentor young players and play no part in our 1st team. It doesn't need to be an exceptional player, PL under 23 teams are all around the level of a League 1 or League 2 team in ability.

2 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Who’s going to give up playing in the premier league or Championship to receive a relatively small wage and to play / train only with the u23 team. 

Yes, Lancashire isn’t a great player but he’s not really been signed to be a good player. 

1 minute ago, Give it to Ron said:

Nah, it doesn't work like that. We've all known some brilliant professors/coders/subject expert in something random/etc. who have been absolutely awful at teaching and imparting knowledge.

Remember it's show and not tell. In his case showing that you can make a decent living in football but if you want to get the best rewards  you have to ally work to your talent. "This is a mistake I made earlier".. 😉

• Like 1