Ollie Lancashire

saint_stevo

13 minutes ago, SKD said:

Who’s going to give up playing in the premier league or Championship to receive a relatively small wage and to play / train only with the u23 team. 

Yes, Lancashire isn’t a great player but he’s not really been signed to be a good player. 

I don’t know how could I but could think of a few Wes Morgan from Leicester that type?

I guess I am swayed by his awful games for us but get it we had to get someone cheap. I think it’s a great idea 

Edited by Give it to Ron

47 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

I don’t think it’s that but the person they hired’s quality and ability

There are a few on this thread who have made themselves look silly, and clearly don't understand the context of this move.

Its not about finding the best player, its about the best person. One who can be a good role model, approachable, passionate about doing this very specific role and having high standards to set a good example.

Olly Lancashire isn't the greatest centre back the world has ever seen but he has come through the Saints Academy and forged a pro career that has seen him chosen as a captain, certainly at Swindon. That suggests that he was seen to have most of the attributes mentioned above. He is of an age and experience level that is relatable to our players and he has seen the highs and lows of pro football that some of them will experience.

If they wanted a coach then Chris Perry aged 48 might be good.

If they want someone to actually play then I don't see that there would be many better options than a player who was playing in L1 last season, his experience is very relevant and they obviously think he is the best person for the role, which is more important than his ability IMO.

• Like 12

5 minutes ago, Dusic said:

There are a few on this thread who have made themselves look silly, and clearly don't understand the context of this move.

Its not about finding the best player, its about the best person. One who can be a good role model, approachable, passionate about doing this very specific role and having high standards to set a good example.

Olly Lancashire isn't the greatest centre back the world has ever seen but he has come through the Saints Academy and forged a pro career that has seen him chosen as a captain, certainly at Swindon. That suggests that he was seen to have most of the attributes mentioned above. He is of an age and experience level that is relatable to our players and he has seen the highs and lows of pro football that some of them will experience.

If they want someone to actually play then I don't see that there would be many better options than a player who was playing in L1 last season, his experience is very relevant and they obviously think he is the best person for the role, which is more important than his ability IMO.

Far too sensible.

There will be players who will go on to be far better than him & there will be some that don’t make it as professionals, but I imagine they will all get something from him if he has an aptitude for coaching and teaching them.  It’s a win-win for me.

The only negative is he takes a playing spot, but I can’t imagine he’ll play every minute.

I think this is a really good idea.

10 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Far too sensible.

There will be players who will go on to be far better than him & there will be some that don’t make it as professionals, but I imagine they will all get something from him if he has an aptitude for coaching and teaching them.  It’s a win-win for me.

The only negative is he takes a playing spot, but I can’t imagine he’ll play every minute.

Has anyone said it’s not a good idea?

1 hour ago, suewhistle said:

Nah, it doesn't work like that. We've all known some brilliant professors/coders/subject expert in something random/etc. who have been absolutely awful at teaching and imparting knowledge.

Remember it's show and not tell. In his case showing that you can make a decent living in football but if you want to get the best rewards  you have to ally work to your talent. "This is a mistake I made earlier".. 😉

The risk with experts is you end up with something like this (to be fair Hoddle was a good manager)

55 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Strangely bringing in a player like this at CB is probably the best position to use. Progressing CBs through the Academy is notoriously difficult, and it won't block too many youngsters' paths (can see him working well alongside the new lad from Chelsea for example), it is also a position where you are in the heart of what is going on on the pitch, why very often CBs are skippers (along with CMs). It helps too that Lancashire has some affinity with the Club (being "almost local" and a past Academy product, even though he came to us from Palace). I thought Drew Surman might have been a good shout, but think that Lancashire's position may trump Surman's. I wouldn't be averse to seeing another of this type of player, a goalkeeper perhaps where we have no record/history of bringing academy players through. Sometimes you have to look at it objectively and say, why do we bother training players in certain positions when we know pretty well that they are never going to make it, lets concentrate our resources in areas where we have proven to be successful. 

• Like 2

For those of us lucky to have known Ollie for years, we know exactly why the club have brought him in albeit this is quite an unexpected move. Despite never being the best centre back he's incredibly smart, articulate, kind and will be a brilliant head to have around the youngsters.

Edited by niceandfriendly
  • Like 8

People calling for Svensson or Perry don't get the concept. As others, I read the post earlier this week and it's quite clear what the intention is.

Sign a 'current' professional football player to play for the B Team. I'd say in the context we've done well to get Ollie in, someone who played quite regular in L1 last season - and this is just a B team player.

That 'team' needed some added experience to it, the concept of 'reserve' football has been lost and I think there needs to be more of a hybrid model between experienced and 'up and coming' players in these 'B' teams.

Otherwise you get in the mess we did last year. A squad full of underage players, 16's, 17 year olds, absolutely out of their depth with no experience around them.

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

People calling for Svensson or Perry don't get the concept. As others, I read the post earlier this week and it's quite clear what the intention is.

Sign a 'current' professional football player to play for the B Team. I'd say in the context we've done well to get Ollie in, someone who played quite regular in L1 last season - and this is just a B team player.

That 'team' needed some added experience to it, the concept of 'reserve' football has been lost and I think there needs to be more of a hybrid model between experienced and 'up and coming' players in these 'B' teams.

Otherwise you get in the mess we did last year. A squad full of underage players, 16's, 17 year olds, absolutely out of their depth with no experience around them.

Agreed. The concept is a good one. Last years B team was very young, and it looks like it'll be even younger this season. Those kids need experience around them from someone who's still got 90 mins in his legs. Ollie has that and having him on the pitch will help out boys massively. 

The role is also ideal for someone who's an aspiring coach. I suspect that Ollie has aspirations in that department, and can keep playing (to a fashion) whilst learning his trade. 

Very good move for me. 

• Like 2

Even though the thought of Lancashire in a Saints shirt still gives me nightmares I do like the concept. It makes sense for the players coming through to play alongside and learn from seasoned professionals to aid that transition to the first team.

Crazy to think there’s a generation of fans now that never knew what it was like to have a reserve side, where the up and coming academy talent would play alongside fringe first team players  as well as those returning from injury.

Edited by bpsaint

I think this is a very clever move by the club. Bringing back an academy graduate who understands the pathway to the first team and brings with him a wealth of experience in the football league. This can only be good for the younger players to learn from. He knows Matt Crocker from before so there's a clear link there. Welcome back Ollie :)

• Like 3

22 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

I’d be interested to know what @Monk makes of this.

Wouldn't surprise me if it's Matt Crockers/Dan Ashworths brain child back from at The FA. It looks to me that the individuals getting employed are academy graduates that fit the 'seasoned pros' that have played across multiple divisions rather than just PL players. I imagine their personal profile and coaching aspirations are a big consideration and almost a placement opportunity to complete their UEFA A/PRO licences. 

Personally, it's just a more structured and rationalised process of having a reserve team. 

Edited by Monk

On 27/07/2021 at 15:04, Give it to Ron said:

Why League 1/2 level shouldn’t we be aiming higher?

If you were to hire someone in your job to train others wouldn’t you want an expert or someone better than below average quality to teach others?

I'm always careful of the word " expert" , once defined as someone.... who knows more and more ..about less and less.

Since our "B  side has been invited to play against  L1/L2 clubs in the  " whatever it's called this season "  Cup competition, they have hardly

covered themselves with glory which goes to show that at that level they are scarcely "good enough" to play against those clubs.

This season's  " B squad " will be one of the youngest we've ever had as quite a few of them were playing in U18 last season.

Olly Lancashire is a previous Academy guy who didn't make the cut, when better players came in (example Fonte and Jaidi in 2009)

after which his Saints days were numbered. However, he made a journeyman career in a number of clubs and probably knows as much about

" that level of football " than many others.  Good coaches cannot be categorized by their own playing careers and the list of those who 

have done well as managers often had a less-than-average personal career, whilst many " top players " fall at their first management hurdle.

You can start a  list with Arsene Wenger ....and  Jose, Pep and Jurgen Klopp who hardly set the football world alight in their own playing days.

We can hope that Olly's experience brings something positive to the B side (many of whom are still teenagers), and get a few points under their belt 

and perhaps even a few wins in Cup games, it may prove to be a good move in employing someone who has gone through that stage and knows our club.

Statistically, very few Academy graduates make it to top level football, and the  Walcott, Bale's and Shaw's are are rare examples, but on my count  

...more than 30  former Saints Academy graduates have made reasonable careers in the game, albeit (like Olly) at a lower level.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, david in sweden said:

Good coaches cannot be categorized by their own playing careers and the list of those who 

have done well as managers often had a less-than-average personal career, whilst many " top players " fall at their first management hurdle.

You can start a  list with Arsene Wenger ....and  Jose, Pep and Jurgen Klopp who hardly set the football world alight in their own playing days.

You might want to think about taking Guardiola out of that list.

8 hours ago, david in sweden said:

I'm always careful of the word " expert" , once defined as someone.... who knows more and more ..about less and less.

Since our "B  side has been invited to play against  L1/L2 clubs in the  " whatever it's called this season "  Cup competition, they have hardly

covered themselves with glory which goes to show that at that level they are scarcely "good enough" to play against those clubs.

This season's  " B squad " will be one of the youngest we've ever had as quite a few of them were playing in U18 last season.

Olly Lancashire is a previous Academy guy who didn't make the cut, when better players came in (example Fonte and Jaidi in 2009)

after which his Saints days were numbered. However, he made a journeyman career in a number of clubs and probably knows as much about

" that level of football " than many others.  Good coaches cannot be categorized by their own playing careers and the list of those who 

We can hope that Olly's experience brings something positive to the B side (many of whom are still teenagers), and get a few points under their belt 

and perhaps even a few wins in Cup games, it may prove to be a good move in employing someone who has gone through that stage and knows our club.

Statistically, very few Academy graduates make it to top level football, and the  Walcott, Bale's and Shaw's are are rare examples, but on my count  

...more than 30  former Saints Academy graduates have made reasonable careers in the game, albeit (like Olly) at a lower level.  

Pep was a Spanish international who was an absolute star for Barcelona and won the European Cup (champions league). 

9 hours ago, david in sweden said:

Which Pep are you talking about?

Surely it is not the Man City manager who had a playing career like this...

- 261 games for Barcelona

- 47 caps for Spain

- 6 La Liga wins

- 1 European Cup 

- 1 European Cup winners Cup

- 2 European Super Cups

- An Olympic Gold medal

- In the Euro 2000 team of the tournament

Pep Guardiola has mixed memories of the Champions League semi-finals... but  he will talk a good game ahead of Atletico clash | Daily Mail Online

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

- 47 caps for Spain

- 6 La Liga wins

- 1 European Cup 

- 2 European Super Cups

- An Olympic Gold medal

Pep Guardiola has mixed memories of the Champions League semi-finals... but  he will talk a good game ahead of Atletico clash | Daily Mail Online

MLG is a legend 🤣🤣

3 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

- 47 caps for Spain

- 6 La Liga wins

- 1 European Cup 

- 2 European Super Cups

- An Olympic Gold medal

Slight tangent, but isn't that 'Woy' bottom right above the Barcelona players ?  

Another example of a manager without a distinguished playing career, although he obviously later moved in some more elevated circles.

On 31/07/2021 at 20:51, Matthew Le God said:

- 47 caps for Spain

- 6 La Liga wins

- 1 European Cup 

- 2 European Super Cups

- An Olympic Gold medal

Oops... I stand corrected (about Pep).... but the others mentioned did succeed without a top class career behind them.

Many fans think that former "top players " will automatically become  good managers...."but the list of those who failed at that task is longer

than anyone can  recall.    Several of the 1966 World Cup players are good examples of " wannabe managers " who failed ingloriously.

• 1 month later...
On 27/07/2021 at 15:04, Dusic said:

He's been named in Saints' official Premier League squad squad for this season.  Watch out for him, he's one for the future.

Southampton's Premier League squad confirmed after summer window with two notable inclusions - HampshireLive

39 minutes ago, Nordic Saint said:

He's been named in Saints' official Premier League squad squad for this season.  Watch out for him, he's one for the future.

Southampton's Premier League squad confirmed after summer window with two notable inclusions - HampshireLive

He wasn't bought to play any part in the PL team. For registered pros at a club aged 21 or over (I think) they HAVE to be registered to the PL, it's a rule.

He will not play for us. He is there for the u23's and to aid experience, albeit it's not exactly helping.

5 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

He wasn't bought to play any part in the PL team. For registered pros at a club aged 21 or over (I think) they HAVE to be registered to the PL, it's a rule.

He will not play for us. He is there for the u23's and to aid experience, albeit it's not exactly helping.

I read this yesterday that it was a rule, but I'm sure it never used to be. There have been instances in the past not just at Saints where pros have not been registered, I think Sam McQueen was omitted recently for example. My only thought is that perhaps you can do it if you have more than 25 senior pros, and then have to make a choice who is registered. Still it does no harm and I suppose in a dire emergency dear old Ollie could make a return 😂

• 2 weeks later...