Liverpool Build Up

Saint Charlie

He always seems to play well against us so that will be a shame.

Liverpool home game was a low point last season, having those clear penalties turned down by Kevin Friend, seeing us lose against w&nker ex-players but most of all having a load of spanners in front of me decked out in half and half scarves ffs :xx :mcinnes:

Wanyama appeared awful but maybe that's because he was constantly having to fill in for an utterly useless Romeu and JWP while also trying to get Yoshida out of the **** countless times.

I think this is the context for Vic's dip in performance, not a lack of motivation but a flimsy set of midfielder around him, especially with Clasie absent.

An interesting theory, but it doesn't in any way explain or excuse his seemingly total inability to control the ball or make a simple 10-yard pass when under no pressure.

He's been gash all season so far, and it has nothing to do with the quality of players around him. I guess his head just isn't in it any more, but if he thinks that his performances this season are going to earn him a big-money move to a CL club next summer then he is seriously deluded.

Bring in Harrry Reed and tell him to stick to coutinho like glue. It might give Wanyama a gee up to be dropped, he's been awful for a while now, same with Bertrand since he's been in the England team.

If Liverpool are going to press us, we will need to work on our passing with pace and accuracy and getting the ball forward quickly.

Really want to win this one, don't want to have to share a train home with a load of jubilant scousers. Arrogant is an understatement for that lot.

probably just Mahrez. I think all the top teams would be, wrongly, ridiculed for signing Vardy by there fans so it kind of only leaves Tottenham or Liverpool who may bite.

Probably right just wouldn't mind a summer where I can just sit back and watch some other clubs fans having a meltdown ( a proper meltdown rather than a top 6 team "oh god we've only spent 50 million" meltdown) ?

People are being retards with this one. Liverpool aren't that great, people are just lapping up the pressing (just as they did with saints under poch... and we finished 8th and 7th and beat it last year)...

Say what you want, but they have had a lot of matches recently, are not better than us on paper, and managed only 2 shots (1 a lucky penalty) vs a very poor swansea team.

If we turn up we'll beat these.

People who predict a 3-0 defeat at home are just being numpties... Every pundit has slammed there performance on the weekend. On top of that, they played Sunday afternoon and have had a very short rest. We will want to do the bounce after two negative results...

Saints win!

People are being retards with this one. Liverpool aren't that great, people are just lapping up the pressing (just as they did with saints under poch... and we finished 8th and 7th and beat it last year)...

Say what you want, but they have had a lot of matches recently, are not better than us on paper, and managed only 2 shots (1 a lucky penalty) vs a very poor swansea team.

People who predict a 3-0 defeat at home are just being numpties... Every pundit has slammed there performance on the weekend. On top of that, they played Sunday afternoon and have had a very short rest. We will want to do the bounce after two negative results...

Saints win!

they kinda are. when was the last time we were better than them over a season?

Say what you want, but they... are not better than us on paper

Their best players are better than our best players, and their mediocre players are as good if not better than our mediocre players. The only area of our respective best XIs where we're better is that our weak links are probably less of a liability than theirs.

Saints win!

I'd happily take Benteke, Clyne and Coutinho off their hands and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't want any of our players ( I bet they will steer well clear of buying any players off us for a long time :lol:) other than perhaps VVD.

I'd happily take Benteke, Clyne and Coutinho off their hands and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't want any of our players ( I bet they will steer well clear of buying any players off us for a long time :lol:) other than perhaps VVD.

i'm prepared to bet they would want Mane, Bertrand, Van Dyke , plus the fact they have purchased four players from us in the last couple of years they are not Real Madrid, we should stop building them up as such. Looked poor yesterday against Swansea.

we should be approaching this game a one we can win and give it everything. Just 150 tickets left now should be a cracking atmosphere.

i'm prepared to bet they would want Mane, Bertrand, Van Dyke , plus the fact they have purchased four players from us in the last couple of years they are not Real Madrid, we should stop building them up as such. Looked poor yesterday against Swansea.

we should be approaching this game a one we can win and give it everything. Just 150 tickets left now should be a cracking atmosphere.

dont think anyone what so ever has bigged them up as a real madrid.

just saying how it is.

we have been dire as an attacking threat of late.

Very poor defensively in the last game and pretty poor in the game before that

they have been winning and at times, with a very good style

if their top players turn it on, we have to be a lot better than we have been

to suggest (as someone actually has a few posts up) we just need to turn up to beat them is utterly ridiculous

dont think anyone what so ever has bigged them up as a real madrid.

just saying how it is.

we have been dire as an attacking threat of late.

Very poor defensively in the last game and pretty poor in the game before that

they have been winning and at times, with a very good style

if their top players turn it on, we have to be a lot better than we have been

to suggest (as someone actually has a few posts up) we just need to turn up to beat them is utterly ridiculous

Which games have we been dire as an attacking threat?

If our support can't get up for this on Wednesday then I lose all hope. The place should be bouncing. Huge game.

You already know it won't be. Premier League support just isn't like that anymore, unless you want Palace style ultras or give everyone a clapper? Even for Cup games the atmospheres are awful

You already know it won't be. Premier League support just isn't like that anymore, unless you want Palace style ultras or give everyone a clapper? Even for Cup games the atmospheres are awful
Plenty of Premier League clubs would have a good atmosphere for such a fixture, without clappers or ultras. 1/4 cup game, under lights, against a side/club that is pretty heavily disliked, it should be decent.

Plenty of Premier League clubs would have a good atmosphere for such a fixture, without clappers or ultras. 1/4 cup game, under lights, against a side/club that is pretty heavily disliked, it should be decent.

There are only 2 grounds in the league where there is anything resembling an atmosphere. Palace and Leicester. And even then it's hardly every game, and a lot of supporters wouldn't want that type of atmosphere anyway. Every other ground in the league is absolutely shocking week in week out

There are only 2 grounds in the league where there is anything resembling an atmosphere. Palace and Leicester. And even then it's hardly every game, and a lot of supporters wouldn't want that type of atmosphere anyway. Every other ground in the league is absolutely shocking week in week out
No its not. Did you watch Spurs v West Ham for example? West Ham for a London derby or against Man Utd? Swansea for their big games? Norwich sounded decent against Arsenal yesterday. Stoke and Everton for big games make a proper bit of noise.

Leicester giving their fans those stupid paper clapper thingies doesn't make them have a good atmosphere, it's just irritating.

Imagine we will probably start with Targett tomorrow. Has played most of the cup games since Koeman joined.

Liverpool Echo saying Klopp will pick a very strong team (obviously).

Sure Koeman will too, possibly only Targett away from the strongest available side if he decides to give him a game.

Edited by Saint Charlie

Okay, so you'd take 3 players? Sturridge, hendo and coutinhio are injured (or have been out)... I'd take stek or forster no doubt, and virgil and Fonte. I'd also take bertrand.

Then I'd have one of Mane and Tadic and keep Pelle over Benteke...

Its like the Klopp mania has infested everyone... They managed 2 shots on target vs Swansea, and one was a very lucky penalty... Swansea the team being tipped for a relegation battle..

This game is there for saints to win and we should be favourites. Amazed by the negativity on this forum tbh.

I can see us struggling to move the ball through midfield and reverting to long balls to Pelle pretty early on. Could be like the Midtjylland away game all over again. Then again, if we start like we have done in a lot of recent home games we could be a couple of goals ahead and Liverpool might decide to focus on a different competition... they can't keep the pressing game up indefinitely, we all saw under Pochettino how teams who use it too much fade with multi-match weekly schedules.

yeah, Caulker for me too, despite him not looking brilliant when he has played. Yoshida will be low on confidence after the City game and Caulker's muscle will be needed against Benteke if he plays.

A fair chunk of my confidence has been dented with Fonte missing this one, i'd now put myself in the hopeful category given Liverpool's upturn in form too.

Yep. He has swelling around the cut he got against City.

Yoshida or Caulker? Probably the later for me, especially if Benteke plays. Plus Caulker a threat from attacking set plays.

Would be odd if it was not Caulker who is backup for Fonte and played there effectively Saturday. Besides, Yoshida will be needef as RB :-) Does mean potentially we will have no cb cover if Cedric remains unavailable, I guess Martina is considered that cover. Interested to ses who gets the armband, Wanyama took it Saturday, was surprised as usually Davis is backup.

Caulker did alright on Saturday, best game for Saints by some distance. First time he's looked like anything other than a panicked hoof-merchant, looks like the indoctrination and time spent away from QPR's relegation side has done him some good. Which is not to say I'd prefer him to a fit Fonte.

Would be odd if it was not Caulker who is backup for Fonte and played there effectively Saturday. Besides, Yoshida will be needef as RB :-) Does mean potentially we will have no cb cover if Cedric remains unavailable, I guess Martina is considered that cover. Interested to ses who gets the armband, Wanyama took it Saturday, was surprised as usually Davis is backup.

Cedric was available for City. Koeman just said he didnt make the squad.

Hopefully he slots in tomorrow.

Cedric was available for City. Koeman just said he didnt make the squad.

I know exactly what Koeman said, its called reading between the lines. Koeman also said Fonte would be available for tomorrow. You need to understand that every word any manager says is not gospel. There is a reason he didn't make the squad, its better not to tell everyone the real reason, as they can then target it next time (though I think everyone knows that Cedric has had a serious and worsening eye issue for a few weeks now, exacerbated last week (Stoke) and requiring more stitches again. He is perfectly fit but playing him and risking further damage to the eye injury was something that it was probably considered "dropping" him to allow further healing time.

I know exactly what Koeman said, its called reading between the lines. Koeman also said Fonte would be available for tomorrow. You need to understand that every word any manager says is not gospel. There is a reason he didn't make the squad, its better not to tell everyone the real reason, as they can then target it next time (though I think everyone knows that Cedric has had a serious and worsening eye issue for a few weeks now, exacerbated last week (Stoke) and requiring more stitches again. He is perfectly fit but playing him and risking further damage to the eye injury was something that it was probably considered "dropping" him to allow further healing time.

saying that cedric was not fully fit to play is hardly damning, is it.

RK could have said that he was not fit to play and that would have been that