Liverpool Build Up

Saint Charlie

I know exactly what Koeman said, its called reading between the lines. Koeman also said Fonte would be available for tomorrow. You need to understand that every word any manager says is not gospel. There is a reason he didn't make the squad, its better not to tell everyone the real reason, as they can then target it next time (though I think everyone knows that Cedric has had a serious and worsening eye issue for a few weeks now, exacerbated last week (Stoke) and requiring more stitches again. He is perfectly fit but playing him and risking further damage to the eye injury was something that it was probably considered "dropping" him to allow further healing time.

Ready between the lines he was rested.

When he said Fonte was available that was straight after the game so he obviously thought he was going to be ok.

Once we had played City there is no reason for him not to mention Cedric being unavilable to him (for whatever reason). In fact after the howler from Maya it would have been in Koeman's interests to make it seem like he had no choice but to select Maya.

I expect Cedric to play tomorrow after being rested to be fully fresh for this game.

Edited by Saint Charlie

saying that cedric was not fully fit to play is hardly damning, is it.

RK could have said that he was not fit to play and that would have been that

No it wouldn't, but its the modern way, and to say he's not fit would not be true. He is perfectly fit, but some medical problems are lessened if more recovery time is given, and this is a case in point.

By the way have just read the OS and Koeman quoted "There are no other updates about injuries – the same team, the same squad probably for tomorrow's game.”

suggests Cedric will remain "dropped".

No it wouldn't, but its the modern way, and to say he's not fit would not be true. He is perfectly fit, but some medical problems are lessened if more recovery time is given, and this is a case in point.

By the way have just read the OS and Koeman quoted "There are no other updates about injuries – the same team, the same squad probably for tomorrow's game.”

Well he's obviously confused himself again because Pelle will be returning to be sure.

Once we had played City there is no reason for him not to mention Cedric being unavilable to him (for whatever reason). In fact after the howler from Maya it would have been in Koeman's interests to make it seem like he had no choice but to select Maya.

So you're suggesting that after the game Koeman should have come out and retracted his statement and told everyone in fact that Cedric was not fit. Interesting notion. Unless of course Koeman was sure that Yoshida would have a howler or two.

Well he's obviously confused himself again because Pelle will be returning to be sure.

Very true, just shows you have to take anything Koeman (or any other manager) says with a Rick Stein sized pinch of salt. As in "Cedric is dropped". Not a criticism of Ronald, just the way of the crazy football world.

So you're suggesting that after the game Koeman should have come out and retracted his statement and told everyone in fact that Cedric was not fit. Interesting notion. Unless of course Koeman was sure that Yoshida would have a howler or two.

I'm saying Koeman said he wasn't selected but wasn't injured. So he was rested and comes back tomorrow.

If Koeman couldn't pick Cedric for medical reasons they he would have said after the game when asked. He usually does. He didnt to my knowlwdge comment on it beforehand so wouldnt be any backtracking.

And even more so after his decision to play Yoshida seemingly backfired. He had a ready made excuse if needed but didn't use it.

So I assume Cedric was rested or Maya preferred, as Koeman inferred.

Your assumption is perfectly valid even if it is difficult to understand from a logical point of view. Trying to add some perspective or reasoning behind Ron's rather illogical comment is more interesting, and ultimately usually provides a more realistic answer. Trying to understand Cedric's on-going medical issues and how resting him may be the prudent thing to do in the longer term is a reasonable hypothesis given the clear evidence of the injuries, the stitches, the condition of his eye and the propensity for the scar tissue to open up again at the slightest touch, all clear from seeing the guy on the pitch and looking at photos and video from training etc. Its not rocket science, there is a serious issue which has not been resolved and the only way to resolve it is to "rest" him, even though he is perfectly fit to play. There is an alternative hypothesis, that there is some sort of disciplinary issue, but there really is no evidence for this as far as I can tell.

Fair enough. I'm sure his eye is sore and a danger area but if it was the reason Koeman couldn't select him then he would probably have said, as is pretty open with stuff like that, Mane's ankle etc.

Hopefully he benefitted from his rest and is on form tomorrow because he was poor all game versus Stoke and his non selection backfired on Saturday.

Edited by Saint Charlie

There are a heap of reasons the squad won't be the same, that's absolutely a throwaway comment. Even Cedric aside, Pelle is available, Fonte apparently is not - plus whether we play with the 2 defensive mids who started against Man City (and didn't play well) must be a consideration too. About the only thing I'm sure of is that Reed and Seager won't feature even on the bench as they played yesterday.

As has been said Benteke always gets the better if Fonte, hopefully Caulker plays but I have a feeling RK will go with Yoshida !

I have a feeling he won't. Caulker is a right sided CB, Yoshida left sided, so Caulker is the natural replacement for Fonte.

Comfortable Liverpool win here. No Fonte for us is a nightmare and Liverpool are hitting a bit of form, whereas our confidence is shot.

Take a respectable 1-0 loss, and here's hoping Adz gets a decent reception after all he did for us.

Comfortable Liverpool win here. No Fonte for us is a nightmare and Liverpool are hitting a bit of form, whereas our confidence is shot.

Take a respectable 1-0 loss, and here's hoping Adz gets a decent reception after all he did for us.

I'm sure Adz will get a reception ! Whether it is decent I have some doubt !!

Is our confidence shot? And AL will get the reception he deserves from those he loved before big bucks and Nivea came on the scene.

No Fonte for us is a nightmare

Why is this a nightmare? Caulker showed on Saturday that he is perfectly able to fill in. It could even be argued that we played much better after he replaced Jose who some claim was having a poor game (didn't see why myself but I only watched the game live and haven't seen any highlights etc) though equally this could be because City took their foot off of the gas after they went 2 up.

I'm saying Koeman said he wasn't selected but wasn't injured. So he was rested and comes back tomorrow.

If Koeman couldn't pick Cedric for medical reasons they he would have said after the game when asked. He usually does. He didnt to my knowlwdge comment on it beforehand so wouldnt be any backtracking.

And even more so after his decision to play Yoshida seemingly backfired. He had a ready made excuse if needed but didn't use it.

I presumed because he had had a second nasty head injury in the space of a few weeks, they erred on the side of caution.

Haven't felt so pessimistic about a game for ages, just don't see us winning.

I'm certainly refusing to get carried away. But, in a weird way, I am more comfortable with a quarter final where there would be no shame in losing, unlike the Sunderland and Sheffield United debacles of the last two seasons.

Biggest game of the season tomorrow, after the long forgotten Midgetland match, so let's effing go for it.

Coming up from Devon with the next door neighbour, a Liverpool fan, he's pretty confident and excited tonight. Living with hope cos last time he saw Saints they won at Anfield when Lovren scored. An OG winner from him tomorrow night would be sweet.

Last years drive home alone after the league game was a miserable one, don't want tomorrow's to be worse...

Coming up from Devon with the next door neighbour, a Liverpool fan, he's pretty confident and excited tonight. Living with hope cos last time he saw Saints they won at Anfield when Lovren scored. An OG winner from him tomorrow night would be sweet.

Last years drive home alone after the league game was a miserable one, don't want tomorrow's to be worse...

I do hope he's got an away end ticket.

Why is this a nightmare? Caulker showed on Saturday that he is perfectly able to fill in. It could even be argued that we played much better after he replaced Jose who some claim was having a poor game (didn't see why myself but I only watched the game live and haven't seen any highlights etc) though equally this could be because City took their foot off of the gas after they went 2 up.

City absolutely stopped playing at 2 up until just after we scored. They were more than happy to sit and defend.

Even if we get past Liverpool we are facing PL team in the semis all three of which have beaten us already this season :( the draw in the last round really didn't work out to well.

Nothing to worry about with Everton or Stoke, even though they've both beaten us at home the Stoke game is always close home and away, and Everton faced a side which wasn't close to our best team when they beat us 3-0 at St Mary's (Stekelenburg; Cedric, Fonte, Yoshida, Targett; Wanyama, Davis; Tadic, Mane, Long; Pelle). Beating City of course would be quite the ask. Let's get to where that's an issue first!

I am sorry but these press conferences need to be managed properly!!!

I am sick and tired if the majority of questions being not about Saints .

Saints should bann these wallies who come to our press conferences and talk about other teams....

I would make a condition of entry - ask questions about Southampton or be banned. Simple because the pressers are now verging on farcical .....

I am sorry but these press conferences need to be managed properly!!!

I am sick and tired if the majority of questions being not about Saints .

Saints should bann these wallies who come to our press conferences and talk about other teams....

I would make a condition of entry - ask questions about Southampton or be banned. Simple because the pressers are now verging on farcical .....

Its largely the fault of Sky and their "question/topic of the day" which they ask each of their reporters to ask at all the press conferences that week. They can then use clips of multiple managers talking about the same topic on SSN.

Ronald said in the part of yesterday's press conference that was carried out off-camera, that he has told Steven Caulker that he will be replacing José tonight.

Its on the Saints YT now as well.

No mention of RB and obviously the journos weren't bothered to ask as they were interested in who we are selling etc. Plus Klopp, obviously.

We will lose this - they simply have a better squad and history does us few favours. Plus they have some top players coming back from injury who will need game time. Don't think there are enough players in our team who will want the cup experience enough - the passion is just not there. 1-3 to Pool.

I think our so called big players need to step up to the plate tonight.

They have not performed recently and if they think big clubs are going to whisk them away

in Jan or the summer then they need to start showing it.

I have had enough of these OS after game interviews where the players take it in turns to say

we will learn from our mistakes because they bloody don't.

This is a cup quarter final and they should all be right up for it and the same goes for the fans as well.

We will lose this - they simply have a better squad and history does us few favours. Plus they have some top players coming back from injury who will need game time. Don't think there are enough players in our team who will want the cup experience enough - the passion is just not there. 1-3 to Pool.

This - don't think we have the players to cope with their quality. I've also got a bad feeling that Stokes name is on the cup as well, which would annoy the crap out of me, but they look pretty solid right now and difficult to play against. Hey ho - there's always next year.

I think he will. I get the impression that's why Koeman openly said Caulker will start, I.e. He's fourth choice CB but Fonte is injured and we need Yoshida at RB. Hope I'm wrong obviously

Is Cedric injured? I watched the City game in Florida at the weekend and Yoshida was a liability. I never want to see him in a Saints shirt again. Would rather Martina played.