Can we PAY Arsenal/Tottenham to take Wanyama away from us?

Singapore Saint

Just glad Clattenburg was also crap when it came to giving the absolutely bolted on penalty against Yoshida for tripping the West Ham striker near the goal-line in the first half. And also didn't give the penalty for handball they appealed for late on, too. Didn't think it was a red, stupid tackle, probably a yellow, the rolling over and 3 West Ham players running up to him caused it as much as the tackle.

No way mate. That was never a pen. Valencia flung his foot into Yoshida and fell like he'd been shot. He was looking for it. Even the victim playing West Ham fans didn't think it was a penalty. Fair play to Clattenburg for that. I honestly don't think he like Saints and he could've quite easily used that as an excuse to take points from us but he didn't.

Needs to see a Sports Physico pdq. A good player but lets himself and the Team down too many times now. Chasing after an opponent simply to bring him down on the half way line is madness especially as Clattenburg had allowed him so leeway beforehand. Five games out now so could cost us our Europe place.

Needs to see a Sports Physico pdq. A good player but lets himself and the Team down too many times now. Chasing after an opponent simply to bring him down on the half way line is madness especially as Clattenburg had allowed him so leeway beforehand. Five games out now so could cost us our Europe place.

He's already done that once this season!

No way mate. That was never a pen. Valencia flung his foot into Yoshida and fell like he'd been shot. He was looking for it. Even the victim playing West Ham fans didn't think it was a penalty. Fair play to Clattenburg for that. I honestly don't think he like Saints and he could've quite easily used that as an excuse to take points from us but he didn't.

Throw in the games he missed because of his early season hissy fit and it's a huge chunk of the season he will my be unavailable for.

He's probably a bit unlucky this time round as Clattenburg over reacted and allowed himself to be influenced by the reactions of their players, but his time with us is beginning to unravel.

A stern talking to from RK, a new contract and a change in attitude required quickly or ship him out.

Edited by um pahars

West Ham get a yellow for worse tackle

Forster for England no 1

Byram committed 5 or 6 fouls in his short spell on the pitch, more than one with an edge. Looks just like a product of "dirty Leeds" though is way too young to remember them. Perhaps they show them the films in the academy up there.

He's also building an unwanted reputation and becoming a marked man amongst refs which doesn't help.

He's a good player and players of his type are always going to pick up bookings but with all these suspensions he's tipping the balance into the 'liability' end of things.

If someone could work on his head and teach him be able to pick and choose his on pitch battles he'd be a hell of a player.

If someone could work on his head and teach him be able to pick and choose his on pitch battles he'd be a hell of a player.

Problem is that I think his head has not been in the right place all season.

Could be a cracking player who destroys opponents attacking prowess, but he's been hot and cold all season, and seems distracted or somewhat piffed off.

He needs someone with his real interests at heart to have a sit down and decent chat with him. Keep hearing that his current close confidants are perhaps not the most positive influence on him.

Theres a reason why Wanyama has played in the majority of games where Saints finished in a European place last season and look to be heading the same way this season...it's cos he's a damn fine player. I think we'd miss him more than some people on here think.

Yes but not when you've already been sent off twice this season, this is his 3rd red card. cEach one gets you an extra match, last time it was 4 this time it should be 5.

His first 2 were both for 2 yellow cards. This was his first straight red. His last suspension was therefore, only 2 games. Palace in the cup and Watford.

I'd like to have seen the reaction had Fonte or Bertrand made that challenge last night. VW was brilliant until his dismissal, as he has been on this 5 game run, and the red looked ridiculously harsh from where I was sat and nothing I've seen on TV has made me change my mind. I feel like he's now paying the price for upsetting some of our fans and quick becoming a bit of a whipping boy when things don't go to plan. I get that it was an unnecessary tackle to make, and he 'shouldn't have given the ref the decision to make' but that is just excusing an extremely poor decision during an extremely pathetic refereeing performance (very much a performance).

Manyama's tackle looked borderline yellow /red - could easily have got either - but it was a stupid tackle. Given that it is his third red card this season, all for similar tackles, he clearly doesn't learn. I was at the other two - we could have held on with 9 players against Bournemouth - they were never going to score, but he cost us three points at Norwich as we were well on top when he was sent off. On form he is brilliant, but we haven't seen too many of those this season. I think that he will go in the summer.

Agree about Byram on Bertrand. That should also have been a red card.

Yoshida clipped their forward. Would have been a harsh penalty

Watch the replays - see how Valencia initially plants his foot sideways into Yoshida before he gets clipped. Both Gary Monk and Jamie Redknapp pointed this out and said it should have counted against Valencia - never mind the rights and wrongs of the clip.

But hey, anything to salvage something from your dip**** sweepstake, right?

Edited by shurlock

I thought vic played well tbh. That was never a red card. He didn't tackle from behind and didn't even touch the guy. He shouldn't have made that tackle but it was a harsh red. There was a far worse tackle on Pelle from behind. And the one where Long got studs down his ankle.

I thought vic played well tbh. That was never a red card. He didn't tackle from behind and didn't even touch the guy. He shouldn't have made that tackle but it was a harsh red. There was a far worse tackle on Pelle from behind. And the one where Long got studs down his ankle.

Wanyama played very well - Payet hardly got a sniff, though he didn't that much more after the sending off. The challenge was the proverbial "forward's tackle" - sloppy and ungainly perhaps but not violent and reckless.

If Clattenburg had made the correct decision and not allowed himself to be influenced by the whinging and play-acting from the WHU players, would we still have had this thread?

... and would we have won without ten men behind the goal?

I suspect the club will appeal.

Although the FA will uphold the red card it may review the length of ban. On that basis I think he might get revised 3 games total, 1 for the red and 2 for the previous sending offs.

Maybe be wishful thinking but let's every party 'exit with honour'.

I'd like to have seen the reaction had Fonte or Bertrand made that challenge last night. VW was brilliant until his dismissal, as he has been on this 5 game run, and the red looked ridiculously harsh from where I was sat and nothing I've seen on TV has made me change my mind. I feel like he's now paying the price for upsetting some of our fans and quick becoming a bit of a whipping boy when things don't go to plan. I get that it was an unnecessary tackle to make, and he 'shouldn't have given the ref the decision to make' but that is just excusing an extremely poor decision during an extremely pathetic refereeing performance (very much a performance).

Very well summed up. The Club really must appeal the decision.

He tripped him in the box (ended up sliding off on all fours I think) when there was no reason to be anywhere near him as the ball was going off the pitch.

Are we talking about the same incident?

https://streamable.com/812m

There was no reason to be anywhere near him?? The ball was going off?? Valencia had caught up with the ball already. He only didn't touch it because he planted his foot under Yoshida's (he clearly went out of his way to do it while Maya was running straight) and then fell to the floor. And "sliding off on all fours" is just another way of saying he fell over, so carries no importance.

Defo no pen for me, and Maya was absolutely right to be covering the play.

If we were total idiots, we could do that, and Man. United could have given away Roy Keane and Arsenal could have given away Patrick Vieira when they got far more red cards than Wanyama, but amazingly they weren't idiots so they didn't. As long as most of his games are not refereed by Clattenburg, Wanyama will get no more red cards than any other top defensive midfielder.