Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

I thought the deal was pretty much done and close to being announced last week, if they had not even accepted our offer then we were miles from done so where did this deadline come from? People are being fed rubbish and no one knows anything in my opinion.

"Put out there we are buying someone, will be a massive deal, break our records..."

a few days later - "Ahh no, it never happened, tut, oh well, we'll keep looking"

Hard to believe anything until the signing has been announced.

I'm not all that convinced about the credentials of any of our 'ITKers'. An awful lot of cryptic nothing get's posted. Maybe I'm just a cynic.

I dont know how old you are, but all this punching above our weight and only just been promoted stuff does my head in.

There was life before the PL and we were seen as a side that was bigish and many fans favourite 2nd team.

We were in the top flight for 27 years on the trot before we had a blip. I have seen Man Utd, Chelsea , Man City relegated at least once and just before I was watching football Liverpool were in the old Division 2 when Shankley took over.

Therefore my view of Saints is a lot higher than perhaps yours and so I am not quite so patient and forgiving

I've got plenty of miles on the clock and remember fondly us finishing runners up. The fact that were a favourite underdog in the past doesn't mean that in this big money era it's sensible or reasonable for fans to expect us to be top 6 consistently and/or try to compete with the big hitters on wages or transfer fees.

With as many years of supporting us I'm realistic about who we are and where we are.

Layer cake etc.

Ziyech 15 million big ones

Decent def mid 10 million smackers

Bas dost 10 million

That gives a total of 35 million stop signing journeymen / bargin basement buys. Give the fans something back last three seasons now we have seen the best players sold..... Get some talent in pronto and show a bit of ambition even boro have signed some decent talent..... Where is all our money going? Serious question.

First time in a while I've found myself questioning the club. I'm never normally pessimistic but I think it takes someone extremely positive to not see that this summer has been sh*t. We need to spend more money as we are significantly weaker than last season. Not asking for us to spend huge amounts but I think it's realistic to expect us to spend what we have brought in from transfer fees at the very minimum.

Reluctantly, I agree. Hence my totally apathetic feeling to the start of the season.

I thought the deal was pretty much done and close to being announced last week, if they had not even accepted our offer then we were miles from done so where did this deadline come from? People are being fed rubbish and no one knows anything in my opinion.

"Put out there we are buying someone, will be a massive deal, break our records..."

a few days later - "Ahh no, it never happened, tut, oh well, we'll keep looking"

Hard to believe anything until the signing has been announced.

I suppose that there's a chance we approached the player first, sounded him out and then approached the club simultaneously/after.

My hope is now that the club take this 11th hour experience of being knocked back (OK, still two weeks to go but 11th hour in the sense that its not obvious we have begun to approach other clubs, though I guess it can be a quick process when it needs to be) to really make headway with 2-3 other targets and that one of them will be a Saints player by the 1st September.

Bas dost 10 million

That gives a total of 35 million stop signing journeymen / bargin basement buys. Give the fans something back last three seasons now we have seen the best players sold..... Get some talent in pronto and show a bit of ambition even boro have signed some decent talent..... Where is all our money going? Serious question.

Who are all these journeymen/bargain basement buys?

You seem to like the word talent.

I would not consider spunking 35m on some "talent" giving me something back. I'm not even sure why the club would need to give something back.

I'm not all that convinced about the credentials of any of our 'ITKers'. An awful lot of cryptic nothing get's posted. Maybe I'm just a cynic.

No, not cynical...but standing back a little.....

Must say it does seem a tad bizarre for our/any club to deliberately put out a 'failure' message as a forum leak such as Guan has just done, onto a forum that at best likely has 3% of a St Mary's worth of supporters looking at it. Same applies to positive leaks too. Audience is too small to justify it?

Not only is it 'bad press' but, if accurate/correct, it just gives way too much information to other clubs who would likely think "ahh, when SFC come a-calling for [playersname] add on a few mill, they'll be desperate". It was even a 'secret' approach so why publicise it?

Now, rather than just an exercise in feeding us suicidal sheep on SWF a few data-slops to slay our hunger for any news, if it is more a case of disinformation (but who knows for what purpose) then that would seem more credible and our ITKers then become mere SFC tools (in the nicest way) and players in the game.

Still don't see why we'd leak an actual fail......

...unless it's a smoke screen......?

Who are all these journeymen/bargain basement buys?

You seem to like the word talent.

I would not consider spunking 35m on some "talent" giving me something back. I'm not even sure why the club would need to give something back.

Yeah does seem odd i assume suggesting Redmond/Hojberg are bargain basement whilst suggesting spending the same amount on 3 new players who apparently wouldn't be. I'd be amazed if we signed 3 players as that would leave us with a rather bloated squad.

Hojbjerg and Redmond are not "bargain basement", they're good promising young players, but we've lost two experienced pros in Wanyama and Pelle, and not replaced either yet.

We've also lost our best player and "replaced" him with Redmond, which is fine if Redmond is going to score and assist 10 a season however its a big gamble.

We're obviously going to sign atleast 1 maybe 2 more, just need them asap and they need to hit the ground going.

I must admit to being slightly disillusioned to the start of the season and our dealings in the transfer market but will wait and see where we are when the window closes. We are in a tricky position that we have possibly over achieved the past couple of seasons and fans now expect us to kick on and spend a great deal to break into the top 5 or even 4. Unfortunately, the players who get us to these dizzy heights get given the opportunity of a big time move and we all we can do is get the best deal. What option do the club have? They can't hold them to their contract as they would have an unhappy player and no transfer fee. Until the players, as many have recently, buy in for the longer haul we are going to keep having the same summer misery. Admittedly, the lack of activity this summer has been disappointing but we don't need more squad depth, we need greater first team quality. There is no point spending £15 million on a player to appease the fans if he doesn't buy into the club and also if there is no potential value to be added.

I think that the squad as it is will comfortably finish mid table.

The club want to be "CL ready" by 2020. It's in the 5 year plan. We are still going to spend some pretty big money this window but we are putting some away as well. Have a think about what would make us CL ready that needs saving up for...

As fans we want it all now. Now now now, spend spend spend. We're expanding our fan base. We're building something great.

has to be circa 10k extra seats. I do not believe for a second the club are saving up for that. expanding SMS gets roundly dismissed by anyone asked at the club

100% right

There are quite a few people who'd want you to think they are ITK

Many of us go along with the game for a laugh, and there's probably a good psychology thesis in it for someone, but best not take it too seriously

By the way, I have it on good authority - thats all I can say

Almost definitely a different player.

Because the player I said we are trying to get over line, I know that the bid was ACCEPTED and the response

from the player was a green light and but it's not done, likely wrangling over terms. Presumably.

The poster above (Guan) could be talking about the 2nd player, as we are definitely in for 2, but I don't

expect that to exceed the fee paid for Dani Osvaldo, but this is football and we are in the closing stages

of the window and he may have different information.

Bas dost 10 million

This question has come up a few times ....in the dark distant past a decision was made within the club that if a player was signed for say 5 million and the cost of the players contract per year was 1 million and the contract length was 5 years then the cost on the books was written in at 10 million , this figure was then written or amortised of the 5 year contract length .

Basically this would mean that the club was never left with a wage black hole in the event of relegation, protects the clubs future , it would annoy ,managers who thought they had 10 million to spend and had only spent 5 and were told it was all done.

Not saying they use this at the club now but if you apply this principle to the 5 and 6 year extensions signed up recently you can see where the money has gone , VDD is on what ?? 250 per month ? 3 million a year for six years ? thats 18 Million gone !

The club want to be "CL ready" by 2020. It's in the 5 year plan. We are still going to spend some pretty big money this window but we are putting some away as well. Have a think about what would make us CL ready that needs saving up for...

As fans we want it all now. Now now now, spend spend spend. We're expanding our fan base. We're building something great.

Oh goody, another 5 year plan!, any case I hope your right about the signings.

Glad 'Le Goddard' is on here. Along with the other ITKs of course.

I see CP as Arsene Wenger mark IV and thus SFC as Arsenal mark IV so we'll be attractive to watch with a soft underbelly and I don't really care about a 'big name' as such. Just that we win everything.

What I am interested in is the 'new direction'. Something like setting up 'partnerships' with other clubs, moving the U23s as they are now along if they're not good enough (Turnbull/Mugabi, etc), abroad (Gazza, possibly Stephens) or on loan in this country and what else?

That's much more interesting. Assuming anyone is 'allowed' to say anything that isn't PR-nonsense as seems to be the case, what can you tell us about how SFC now see themselves and how they intend to break into the big league of clubs?

I see CP as Arsene Wenger mark IV and thus SFC as Arsenal mark IV so we'll be attractive to watch with a soft underbelly and I don't really care about a 'big name' as such. Just that we win everything.

What I am interested in is the 'new direction'. Something like setting up 'partnerships' with other clubs, moving the U23s as they are now along if they're not good enough (Turnbull/Mugabi, etc), abroad (Gazza, possibly Stephens) or on loan in this country and what else?

That's much more interesting. Assuming anyone is 'allowed' to say anything that isn't PR-nonsense as seems to be the case, what can you tell us about how SFC now see themselves and how they intend to break into the big league of clubs?

I don't understand this, sorry!

A ground expansion would be class, but to have that ready for 2020 we'd need to be commissioning designs and planning apps now and 10k seats doesn't actually make us much more or less "ready" for Champs League. Nice idea though.

I dont know why I wasnt suprised with this.

Can you tell us when Puel was interviewed if it went like this

Name ?

Claude

Do we need to buy anyone?

No

You've got the job

I think it is more likely that he was one of the only ones that saw value in playing our youth, which, to an extent, I don't have an issue with, but they need to be good enough.

It certainly put pay to Pellegrini's interest if the rumours are to be believed, no real investment in the playing squad, players leaving and a push to field youth players, yet still attempt an upwardly mobile trend is not just a tough ask but bordering madness

Good point but tv income stream has risen by about another 50 mill per prem club so far out ways the new contract cost plus good return if a player is sold at market value good assets to have

[/b]

This question has come up a few times ....in the dark distant past a decision was made within the club that if a player was signed for say 5 million and the cost of the players contract per year was 1 million and the contract length was 5 years then the cost on the books was written in at 10 million , this figure was then written or amortised of the 5 year contract length .

Basically this would mean that the club was never left with a wage black hole in the event of relegation, protects the clubs future , it would annoy ,managers who thought they had 10 million to spend and had only spent 5 and were told it was all done.

Not saying they use this at the club now but if you apply this principle to the 5 and 6 year extensions signed up recently you can see where the money has gone , VDD is on what ?? 250 per month ? 3 million a year for six years ? thats 18 Million gone !

A ground expansion would be class, but to have that ready for 2020 we'd need to be commissioning designs and planning apps now and 10k seats doesn't actually make us much more or less "ready" for Champs League. Nice idea though.

Not to mention capitilalising on last years successes, we could have potentially opened up a market to new fans and players that would not be there if we fall down the table.

There is little chance we are 'saving' for a stadium increase IMO

And it will only take a small bump in our road to stifle our upward momentum for a significant time

Havent seen it mentioned on here before, but the Italian website Tuttosport (dont know if its reliable) had us linked to Stefano Sturaro. Sturaro is a midfielder who can

be used as a box to box or defensive midfielder.

Is that a recent link? He's been linked before.

selling the players who get you off your seat due to excitement is not the way to expand the fanbase. It has been said that the fans in the Asian market are nt loyal and will happily change the club they follow

Excellent post.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Much as I love the excitement of a new signing I really fail to get why people are so uptight at the current state of the squad. If you accept that the club are attempting to allow those youngsters that the manager feels are good enough, the chance to break into the squad, there really ain't many spaces left to fill.

In goal we've just brought in a new keeper as back-up to Forster. At right back we have Cedric and have just brought in Pied. At left back we have Bertie and Targett. Those at the club obviously feel the latter is good enough as back-up to the former. Then we have Cuco as extra cover for both positions. At CB we have a great first choice pair, with OK back-up in Yoshi. Who knows what's going to happen with Gardos, but for a club like ours I can't see us buying another starter CB and then you're wondering what quality would be happy to sit on the bench every week. I suspect the club are happy for one of the youngsters to step in if needed. Alright, if Fonte buggers off that's another matter, but I can't believe we're ignoring that.

We have more central mids than you can shake a stick at so I don't see any more coming in there. Besides, we've just bough Hjobjerg and I can't see he was only one for the future. Sure we'll miss Wanyama's strength but there ain't many like him out there. The club obviously want JWP and Reed to be given a chance and any more signings here would block that. Sure JWP has done little to justify the faith, but we should still have enough quality here to manage.

Up front I understand the fitness concerns over JRod and Austin, but we would not have signed the latter or given the former a new contract if we did not feel they could play regularly. Long may not be prolific but he was our player of the season last season ffs. Then we're playing Redmond up front, another new signing. So I can't see the club buying another striker.

The only place we're light is attacking mid. I don't doubt we're trying to strengthen here as the ITKs seem to be indicating.

People say we haven't replaced Mane but seem to forget that he was much maligned on here when he was first signed. We don't buy top players at the peak of their powers, we're not that level club. We buy those, like Mane and Redmond that we hope to improve. There will be those like Mane that use us as a stepping stone, then others like Bertrand that know the grass isn't always greener at the top clubs and so stay for longer. Get used to it.

A sensible 5 year plan would be to push the wage bill up as much as possible within FP rules, year on year, and try to put some space between us and the teams below.

That would consolidate our position just below the top six.

Because the last 5-year plan went atrociously didn't it :-/

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I remember Cortese having a 5 year plan, was there one after him? Is this a new one? that makes alot of 5 year plans.

As for the last few years, they have been excellent, just not sure what 5 year plan we are in!.

A sensible 5 year plan would be to push the wage bill up as much as possible within FP rules, year on year, and try to put some space between us and the teams below.

That would consolidate our position just below the top six.

But what's that get you? It doesn't get you much more money. To get big money you have to be looking at top 4, so unfortunately your approach just ain't sustainable.

What do you mean? I thought that it had nothing to do with the selling club what happens... So long as the buying club wants a player, and said player wants to leave, I thought it was nailed on...

Only if they offer above and beyond. We clearly haven't.

The "ITKs" on here are hilarious :lol:

I really like Heisenberg.

His trolling though not expert, hooks loads of 'fish'.

His tongue in cheek comments bring loads of indignant replies.

Keep it up Heisenberg, I for one appreciate the humour you bring to this board.

As an aside, Is your handle Heisenberg taken from 'Breaking Bad' or the quantum mechanic physicist.