Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

:lol: It doesn't matter what I think of Redmond you muppet. The club clearly see him as Mane's replacement so what I think of Redmond has got **** all to do with it.

Nice try with the internet warrior thing though still needs work but keep trying:lol:

Redmond? You mean Mané? You seem a bit flustered pal.

He is. He's at roughly the same level that Mané was when he arrived, and that was to be expected. We were never going to go out and buy the finished product for £30m plus. Just have to trust that Redmond will develop and improve as Mané did.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Mane tore up the Austrian league, was an established full international and also starred in the Olympics.

In no way is Redmond roughly at the same level (although I do think he's a promising player).

Interesting thanks. L'equipe is usually on the money and they reported the story only today. Seems like it's just us and Schalke interested in boufal, though Schalke are targeting a different player which would put us in pole position.

Summary:

Only us and Schalke are actually interested in Boufal, but Schalke are prioritising Diego Rolan so as it stands now Saints are the only option for him unless he stays.

It's funny, I very nearly asked earlier what was going on with Boufal as its gone so quiet.

He still fits the profile we want - Plus we know he's injured, so it makes sense that it's taking a while.

What about Watford who had a bid rejected ?

Signing Roberto Pereyra from Juventus.

So, skipping half of the comments on this thread, can we speculate that Guan is on about Boetius and AR-10 is on about Boufal?

That would be OK with me.

Then we are keeping Berahino a secret until deadline day ;)

http://www.butfootballclub.fr/ligue-1/lille/losc-mercato-un-nouveau-coup-dur-se-dessine-pour-boufal/

Might just be the terrible translation but this article makes it sound like he's had a six month injury setback and is gaining weight?

Basically saying he might not leave now but leave in the January window, a theory, articulated in the last few days, that is gaining currency.

Edited by shurlock

Personally from what I have heard it's boufel

Hoberg has the potential to be world class if he can build a partnership with Davis and tadic and we have redmond who with a bit of focused coaching has huge potential playing in front of them and maybe the guile of boufel we will have a potent attack

Personally from what I have heard it's boufel

Hoberg has the potential to be world class if he can build a partnership with Davis and tadic and we have redmond who with a bit of focused coaching has huge potential playing in front of them and maybe the guile of boufel we will have a potent attack

If we buy someone of the quality of Boufal to play in attacking midfield, Davis will be on the bench more often than not.

tbf to Glasgow when he posted his level system he did say us and Stoke were a level 4, his level thing, whether we like it or not is correct in this moment in time.

BUT, what the 'level' system shows is we are punching above our weight, and long may it continue.

If we buy someone of the quality of Boufal to play in attacking midfield, Davis will be on the bench more often than not.

Davis doesn't play as an AM in Puel's formation. Tadic does at the tip of the diamond. Davis is one of the outside central midfielders (shuttlers). In a way that suits him better as it places as much emphasis on defending as well as attacking. If there's one criticism its that he's not athletic or physical enough for the role, but he partly compensates for this through his workrate.

Edited by shurlock

tbf to Glasgow when he posted his level system he did say us and Stoke were a level 4, his level thing, whether we like it or not is correct in this moment in time.

BUT, what the 'level' system shows is we are punching above our weight, and long may it continue.

The first published draft of the Heisenberg Level System has been filed with the British Library just this morning.

Davis doesn't play as an AM in Puel's formation. Tadic does at the tip of the diamond. Davis is one of the outside central midfielders (shuttlers). In a way that suits him better as it places as much emphasis on defending as well as attacking. If there's one criticism its that he's not athletic or physical enough for the role, but he partly compensates for this through his workrate.

Correct although I think the key to our season with this formation is tadic and Hoberg getting an understanding I see Hoberg as our inesta dictating and conducting the play in midfield maybe

Correct although I think the key to our season with this formation is tadic and Hoberg getting an understanding I see Hoberg as our inesta dictating and conducting the play in midfield maybe

The midfield after JWP went off. Hojberg played slightly on the right. What he did bring was a willingness to carry the ball forward and drive into space, closing the space between the midfield and the forwards.

------------Tadic-----------

Davis-----------------------Hojbjerg

------------Romeu----------

Edited by shurlock

The midfield after JWP went off. Hojberg played slightly on the right. What he did bring was a willingness to carry the ball forward and drive into space, closing the space between the midfield and the forwards.

------------Tadic-----------

Davis-----------------------Hojbjerg

------------Romeu----------

Assuming Boufal/Another at the tip of the diamond, would you rather have Davis or Tadic on the left there?

Assuming Boufal/Another at the tip of the diamond, would you rather have Davis or Tadic on the left there?

It depends on the opposition. But probably Davis, especially with Bertrand given licence to bomb on. The position requires quite a bit of defensive discipline.

Fingers crossed, if we sign someone IMO it's gonna be someone as good/ better than tadic eg. boufal in which case tadic won't be getting as much game time as he'd want cause we obvs can't play him as a striker or a box to box mid, only spot for him is the tip of the diamond. So having just signed a new deal, we wouldn't want him on the bench so IMHO we have to practically sign another mane. I.e. someone who can play as a right forward, left forward, CF and AM so that he can compete with not only tadic but all the forwards so we don't have to sacrifice tadic to accommodate the new guy. Now that will have to surpass the Osvaldo fee which BTW is some measly coin in today's market.

Fingers crossed, if we sign someone IMO it's gonna be someone as good/ better than tadic eg. boufal in which case tadic won't be getting as much game time as he'd want cause we obvs can't play him as a striker or a box to box mid, only spot for him is the tip of the diamond. So having just signed a new deal, we wouldn't want him on the bench so IMHO we have to practically sign another mane. I.e. someone who can play as a right forward, left forward, CF and AM so that he can compete with not only tadic but all the forwards so we don't have to sacrifice tadic to accommodate the new guy. Now that will have to surpass the Osvaldo fee which BTW is some measly coin in today's market.

Agree that would make the most sense.

Gut feeling is that Redmond has been so massively overhyped recently (don't get me wrong I think he will be a solid signing for us) because we aren't getting anyone else in and that was supposed to be the signing to wet the fans lips with anticipation and the club misjudged its weight with fans. Clubs PR is very cynical in the way it behaves, evidence of the Alderweireld, Koeman, Poch style dealings.

I really, really hope that my instinct is wrong but got a feeling this season will be the one where we don't quite achieve what we have recently come to expect (which has been awesome so far) and we end up in that scrappy mid lower table but yet ultimately safe scrap that Everton have found themselves in recent years. Unfortunately this will doubly suck for the Koeman comparisons (who let's be honest really isn't that special) and the media story of Saints... Finally a Sale too far etc...

P.S Hope I'm wrong but I've come pretty close in recent seasons, gave us seventh last season and ninth before. Reckon 12th at moment. If Fonte leaves 15th, if we sign Boufal who has felt like our target of choice a la Mane in that particular season then maybe 8th again. On the other hand at the start of the transfer doom after Mane and Pelle left I think we are only two signings short of top 6....

Courtesy of Mystic Mug

If Boufal comes, I will cream myself. He is such a talent that would really help our attaking options no end.

Sign him and it will have been a good summer.

Is he ? The youtube clip shows some trickery, and a lot of falling/being fouled.

Of course Puel and our Black Box will have a far better idea, and I'll bow to their superior knowledge if we sign him.

Gut feeling is that Redmond has been so massively overhyped recently (don't get me wrong I think he will be a solid signing for us) because we aren't getting anyone else in and that was supposed to be the signing to wet the fans lips with anticipation and the club misjudged its weight with fans. Clubs PR is very cynical in the way it behaves, evidence of the Alderweireld, Koeman, Poch style dealings.

I really, really hope that my instinct is wrong but got a feeling this season will be the one where we don't quite achieve what we have recently come to expect (which has been awesome so far) and we end up in that scrappy mid lower table but yet ultimately safe scrap that Everton have found themselves in recent years. Unfortunately this will doubly suck for the Koeman comparisons (who let's be honest really isn't that special) and the media story of Saints... Finally a Sale too far etc...

P.S Hope I'm wrong but I've come pretty close in recent seasons, gave us seventh last season and ninth before. Reckon 12th at moment. If Fonte leaves 15th, if we sign Boufal who has felt like our target of choice a la Mane in that particular season then maybe 8th again. On the other hand at the start of the transfer doom after Mane and Pelle left I think we are only two signings short of top 6....

Courtesy of Mystic Mug

Your instincts are not wrong, we are being conned left, right and centre by Reed no doubt in full accord with the owner and her board.

Your analysis of Redmond's acquisition seems spot on. No way would we have got hold of him had the reality matched the hype, playing for England U21's clearly means nothing at all these days.

As a footnote, how come we are so good at all the Olympic sports but crap at football?

Your instincts are not wrong, we are being conned left, right and centre by Reed no doubt in full accord with the owner and her board.

Your analysis of Redmond's acquisition seems spot on. No way would we have got hold of him had the reality matched the hype, playing for England U21's clearly means nothing at all these days.

As a footnote, how come we are so good at all the Olympic sports but crap at football?

Complete and utter rubbish !!!:mcinnes:

Consistent national policy well funded with a clear goal and consistent leadership oh and when the going gets tough two years before the next Olympics you can't dip into the transfer market and bring in a few dozen cheap foreigners! Footballs national strategy is too messed up and the governing body has little to no control over what happens to young players, too many prospects spend the vital years of there mid-late teens rotting unnoticed and un challenged at big clubs. They earn too much money to young without really achieving anything the whole system just isn't geared to deliver in the right way.

Consistent national policy well funded with a clear goal and consistent leadership oh and when the going gets tough two years before the next Olympics you can't dip into the transfer market and bring in a few dozen cheap foreigners! Footballs national strategy is too messed up and the governing body has little to no control over what happens to young players, too many prospects spend the vital years of there mid-late teens rotting unnoticed and un challenged at big clubs. They earn too much money to young without really achieving anything the whole system just isn't geared to deliver in the right way.

Well that abd the fact that most Olympic sports are minority ones so statistically you're competing with a tiny percentage of the population. It's going to be easier to get to the top in rowing for example than it is in football.

States in the article that Boufal's only exit seems like saints...

Nice to talk about incoming again.

I'd never heard of him until we were linked with him. I just looked him up on Wiki. Apparently he's got 2 caps for Morocco. It reminds me of the hype that surrounded Clasie just before we signed him, when people who'd probably never heard of him before and had certainly never seen him play started saying what a fantastic signing he'd be. To be fair, I'd never heard of Hojbjerg before either and he looks pretty good, although he has 21 caps for Denmark and is a year younger than Boufal.

Hope the ITKs are right.

All I want to know is that the club recognise we need more quality (at least two), the areas we need that quality (attack) and are willing to spend if the right player is available.

The ITK's seem to support that, but he official noises from the club do not, they are saying they are happy with the squad, look how good Redmond is etc.

Fundamentally us sitting on £30 million transfer profit and being happy with our current attack is not good enough for me and would be a failure to build on our recent success.

Good to see rumours though at least and I'd reckon Bouffal would just what we need so hope there are legs in this one.

I'd never heard of him until we were linked with him. I just looked him up on Wiki. Apparently he's got 2 caps for Morocco. It reminds me of the hype that surrounded Clasie just before we signed him, when people who'd probably never heard of him before and had certainly never seen him play started saying what a fantastic signing he'd be. To be fair, I'd never heard of Hojbjerg before either and he looks pretty good, although he has 21 caps for Denmark and is a year younger than Boufal.

Boufal would be an excellent signing IMO. Naturally very talented and exciting. A real technical player. Take your point about Clasie but his start with Saints was blighted by injury as was proven Premiership player Charlie Austin. Many factors go into whether a player is going to be a success or not and it doesn't come down to whether we've heard of them or not. No-one had really heard of Kante, Mahrez or Dele Ali at the start of last season and everyone was expecting Hazard to tear it up again.

No guarantees on any player but Boufal is one that would definitely get me excited.