Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

Totally underwhelmed in what could have been our most exciting season in years.

That said, the window hasn't shut yet. I'll be underwhelmed for definite if he window shuts and we haven't strengthened the areas we so desperately need to by then, though.

Tick tock goes the transfer window clock

This!

Totally underwhelmed in what could have been our most exciting season in years.

That said, the window hasn't shut yet. I'll be underwhelmed for definite if he window shuts and we haven't strengthened the areas we so desperately need to by then, though.

Tick tock goes the transfer window clock

I will reserve judgement until the seasons been going a couple of months and those we have brought in, whether that includes more incomings or not) have had a chance to settle in and show what they are capable of. I'd be happier if we brought in one or two more (an attacking midfield player and a defensive midfielder would be on my wishlist as I neither want Tadic to be tasked with doing it all himself creatively, nor do I believe Romeu is good enough to be a first choice DM).

Is anyone else feeling a bit underwhelmed at the present?

To think it was 50 years ago when we signed the greatest centre-forward the world has ever seen.

I think it's hard not to be - not many had heard of Puel and when Pellegrini was linked it was a disappointment to me when overlooked.

I understand why but if we wanted a training ground manager put someone in with him like Rowett.

Once again we lose good players and replaced by promising ones and fed ridiculous PR and put unnecessary pressure on young shoulders.

I watched every preseason game in Holland and at SMS and the players looked uncertain and not playing to strengths.

Having said all that the club are in credit and deserve until window closes to strengthen where we are weak.

We all want Puel to succeed.

Don't understand how Palace are able to spend £27 million on Benteke but we aren't willing to shell out on anyone. Shame, he'd be excellent for us.

It is 18th August... the window hasn't closed!

We signed important players late on in the last two summers...

Mane - 1st September 2014

Alderweireld - 1st September 2014

van Dijk - 1st September 2015

Of course it would be nice if the club were able to sign them earlier. But it is in the interests of some selling clubs & agents to wait out the window to get the best possible deal.

Are Palace 60m in debt?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't have their accounts to hand but given they've been in administration more recently than us I'd be surprised if their books were much better than ours.

If what you're saying is right, one has to wonder how we've allowed ourselves into a situation were we have to sell £50m worth of talent every year to service our debts...

Of course it would be nice if the club were able to sign them earlier. But it is in the interests of some selling clubs & agents to wait out the window to get the best possible deal.

No rumours, constant guff about how amazing Redmond is and a manager who consistently says he's happy with the squad. Looks promising doesn't it?

Don't have their accounts to hand but given they've been in administration more recently than us I'd be surprised if their books were much better than ours.

If what you're saying is right, one has to wonder how we've allowed ourselves into a situation were we have to sell £50m worth of talent every year to service our debts...

I believe they also have new owners who lumped in some funds.

I understand your frustration but you only have to look at West Ham new buy to see how spending all we have on one player is a risk.

The training ground , a wasteful ex CEO and 2 failed high cost transfers mean we are.

No rumours, constant guff about how amazing Redmond is and a manager who consistently says he's happy with the squad. Looks promising doesn't it?

I think its a good thing there aren't rumours. Shows the club is being professional, unlike West Ham for example who are media whores for transfer rumours.

Like hypochondriac said above, I'd be surprised if we didn't sign one (possibly two) good signing before the window closes.

Just so I'm up with the latest movements on here, are we at the stage where we're jealous of palace again?

Wouldn't ever say I was jealous of Palace (horrible little club IMO) but they've arguably got a more potent attack than we have. Benteke will score many more goals than any of our forwards.

I think its a good thing there aren't rumours. Shows the club is being professional, unlike West Ham for example who are media whores for transfer rumours.

Like hypochondriac said above, I'd be surprised if we didn't sign one (possibly two) good signing before the window closes.

Or it means we aren't signing anyone. I have to say I cannot see a significant incoming before the end of the window. After what Guan said earlier in the week I don't see how anyone can confidently say otherwise. The blind faith that we've got a significant attacking signing in our back pocket is admirable but I fear it's misguided.

Do you wish we were Palace this year?

I wish I was Palace every year.

Stand in the rain and stand in the sun,

We are South London's number one,

We are South London's number one.

We hate the Brighton and Millwall scum,

We are South London's number one

I wish I was Palace every year.

Stand in the rain and stand in the sun,

We are South London's number one.

We hate the Brighton and Millwall scum,

We are South London's number one

One of my favourite away days when Ricky scored twice oh and Fonte nearly getting decapitated by that eagle

Don't understand how Palace are able to spend £27 million on Benteke but we aren't willing to shell out on anyone. Shame, he'd be excellent for us.

Think you answered your own question.

Palace are able to, as are we, it's just that (at the moment) were not willing to

Then why don't we wait out the window to get the best possible deal when it comes to selling our stars?

Think you answered your own question.

Palace are able to, as are we, it's just that (at the moment) were not willing to

Begs the question as to why, given where we finished last season, we haven't seen fit to show a bit of ambition in the market. A signing like this would, IMO, show ambition. As it is, we haven't done anything to dispel our reputation in the market.

Most on here would have gone ballistic if we'd bought Tomkins and Townsend

Would honestly prefer Townsend to Redmond.

Tomkins is also a better player than either Yoshida or Gardos so would have been a decent player to have in the squad.

Would honestly prefer Townsend to Redmond.

Tomkins is also a better player than either Yoshida or Gardos so would have been a decent player to have in the squad.

But (most) don't want squad players it seems. Pied for a free is a good signing, but drew criticism.

The one thing that does really need to change though is the transfer window timings. The season really shouldn't be starting with the window open. Hopefully this will be rectified if a winter break comes into our league as the season start time may alter to come in line with the rest of europe.

Can see the problem, not just for us. You want to improve a position but the prices are getting mental. Same for Arsenal, do they throw 60m at a striker they value at 30m?

I'd take Benteke for 12-15m, but throwing 30m at him seems ridiculous. Yet Palace just received a massive fee for Bolasie who rarely scored, have been desperate for a striker and now have one. Townsend, Benteke, Zaha will be a pretty decent front 3 you'd imagine. If it keeps them up and doing well then it's worth the money. But as more and more clubs do it, they can't all succeed. We're going to see bigger fortunes than ever wasted.

Benteke is only 25 and has a proven record in the Premier League - 42 in 89 for Villa and 9 in 29 for a Liverpool side he probably should never have joined. £30m is good value for a 1 in 2 striker yet to enter the prime of his career.

Or it means we aren't signing anyone. I have to say I cannot see a significant incoming before the end of the window. After what Guan said earlier in the week I don't see how anyone can confidently say otherwise. The blind faith that we've got a significant attacking signing in our back pocket is admirable but I fear it's misguided.

I think you have blind faith that our club is being run by idiots who don't know what they are doing.

We will obviously be signing at least one more this window, and likely this will be our biggest signing.

But (most) don't want squad players it seems. Pied for a free is a good signing, but drew criticism.

One does wonder though whether he drew more criticism in the context of the rest of the window. In a window where we've only signed four players (one of which being a sub keeper, so only three who have a realistic chance of actually improving our first team) signing a player on a free when we aren't spending cash in the bank is always going to draw criticism. For what it's worth I agree he's a decent signing but he's not one that's going to get the fans excited.

One does wonder though whether he drew more criticism in the context of the rest of the window. In a window where we've only signed four players (one of which being a sub keeper, so only three who have a realistic chance of actually improving our first team) signing a player on a free when we aren't spending cash in the bank is always going to draw criticism. For what it's worth I agree he's a decent signing but he's not one that's going to get the fans excited.

That's another good point: the keeper situation.

Almost everyone one here bar none have said that Gazza wasn't good enough to be relied upon should Forster get injured. The club go out and buy a very good reserve keeper, and are criticised.

I think you have blind faith that our club is being run by idiots who don't know what they are doing.

We will obviously be signing at least one more this window, and likely this will be our biggest signing.

I most certainly don't have blind faith that we are being run by idiots. I think our board have done an absolutely wonderful job but I do think they've missed an opportunity to capitalise on a strong position following the end of last season.

Please do explain how it's "obvious" we will make a big signing in the next week.

Just because someone doesn't agree with your view (which I might add, lacks any evidence to back it up) doesn't mean you can put words in their mouth.