Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

Berahino also looks interesting

I would like us to sign him, but this is what I got told about Berahino in early July:

Re Saints and Saido - I would be surprised. Good striker though he is, I've been told he doesn't fit the bill for Les Reed considering his off-field baggage etc. This could obviously change, especially if targets fall through, but I don't think he's a priority at this stage.

Surely you dont believe we would go for him? His sulky and unsettling behavior would make the Black Box flash red

Remember Puncheon's behaviour? He rehabilitated himself ok, so it can happen. Then again you have Osvaldo who when given fresh starts, just couldn't change.

Boufal could be the player that Guan 2.0 referred to having an 'entourage' around him that was getting silly?

Re: Seri, seems a bit obvious as Puel has worked with him before. Puel seems to want to play Tadic behind the striker/s as a 10. Could be a squad player but would he be happy with that. Nice wouldn't be selling him for £4.67m either at PL prices!

Either way, despite the bluffing from the club about Redmond being only new front player recruit and happy with the squad, I think we'll definitely be adding a couple of signings (ITK comments on board 'being aware of the team's needs' or we'll finish bottom half (12-15th) with what we have and the extra EL games which I can't see the board being happy with. The ITKs are also super-quiet so that also suggests there is quite a bit of activity ongoing.

Transfer window has been a joke this summer across the board, loads of blockages and more chains than the average housing ladder. That's probably why first or second choice attacking players - at the mid-higher end where the club wants to shop - must be very tricky to get over line on.

If we could get berahino and boufal we'd have a stronger attacking options than last season IMO.

Those 2 signings would be fantastic.

I'm not sure what to make of the Diamond formation yet, but I'm fairly sure one of the striker roles would be perfect for Berahino.

I'm not convinced he can play a lone striker role & he doesn't like playing on the wing, so one of the 2 striker roles in our team would suit him down to the ground.

He's young, English and if we can bring the best out of him, would probably be worth a fortune in re-sale value.

Fingers crossed, if we sign someone IMO it's gonna be someone as good/ better than tadic eg. boufal in which case tadic won't be getting as much game time as he'd want cause we obvs can't play him as a striker or a box to box mid, only spot for him is the tip of the diamond. So having just signed a new deal, we wouldn't want him on the bench so IMHO we have to practically sign another mane. I.e. someone who can play as a right forward, left forward, CF and AM so that he can compete with not only tadic but all the forwards so we don't have to sacrifice tadic to accommodate the new guy. Now that will have to surpass the Osvaldo fee which BTW is some measly coin in today's market.

You'd think if we signed someone like Boufal, the 4-4-2 diamond would make even less sense as a formation that made best use of our best players... 4-2-3-1 with [Romeu/Hojbjerg - Tadic/Boufal/Redmond - Austin] would have good balance (assuming that Hoj's size and strength translate into decent defensive capability) and plenty of creativity.

Theres a lot of talk of strikers on here and agree with Austin and Jay Rod with question marks over their fitness (maybe harshly on Austin) we need a Mane replacement. And generally picking dream team strikers is more "exciting"

But i personally think we need a decent CB signing. Every time Yoshida has to step in he plods along ok until he drops an absolute clanger, there are very few games where he hasnt put an opposition striker through 1 on 1 with our keeper, made a reckless challenge when it wasn't needed or some other "unforced error".

If we lost Fonte on a last minute transfer or a 6 week injury, a month or two of Yoshida gifting a golden chance each game to the opposition is pretty damaging. Even if Fonte stays (and i hope he does) hes what.. 31/32 now. Probably one more top season out of him. Strikers come and go but you need to plan long term for that spine of the team i think and seems its very thin once you get past the starters.

You'd think if we signed someone like Boufal, the 4-4-2 diamond would make even less sense as a formation that made best use of our best players... 4-2-3-1 with [Romeu/Hojbjerg - Tadic/Boufal/Redmond - Austin] would have good balance (assuming that Hoj's size and strength translate into decent defensive capability) and plenty of creativity.

I'm sure we could find room for Steven Davis in there somewhere ;)

Based on Saturday alone I saw more of a 4-3-3 formation than a diamond (compared to the diamond that Adkins used in the Championship). Tadic, Redmond and Long were rotating all game so I didn't really see one player playing at the tip of a midfield 4. Agreed that 4-2-3-1 makes a lot of sense with the players that we have. To play 4-3-3 we are going to need at least one more attacking player to provide enough strength in depth.

Based on Saturday alone I saw more of a 4-3-3 formation than a diamond (compared to the diamond that Adkins used in the Championship). Tadic, Redmond and Long were rotating all game so I didn't really see one player playing at the tip of a midfield 4. Agreed that 4-2-3-1 makes a lot of sense with the players that we have. To play 4-3-3 we are going to need at least one more attacking player to provide enough strength in depth.

Don't forget a diamond can actually be more of a 4-3-3 than it is 4-4-2, with the front three made of the two strikers and attacking mid and then the other three miss sitting more.

This one holding mid worries me, Romeu was skinned on numerous occasions on Saturday by Capoue and broke right through the middle.... What's going to happen when we play a good team, suppose we will find out Friday

This one holding mid worries me, Romeu was skinned on numerous occasions on Saturday by Capoue and broke right through the middle.... What's going to happen when we play a good team, suppose we will find out Friday

If you want to know watch the video from the Spurs game last season where Wanyama couldn't be arsed and Dembele strolled around unchallenged

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So Romeu has half a bad game and you would swap him .....Romeu was very good last season covering for the often missing Wanyama.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just don't think he's that great at shielding the defence like Wanyama was when he decided to put an effort in last season. Doesn't necessarily mean I think he's a bad player, that role isn't for him.

I just don't think he's that great at shielding the defence like Wanyama was when he decided to put an effort in last season. Doesn't necessarily mean I think he's a bad player, that role isn't for him.

Agree. He's built like a defensive midfielder but I've always thought he's better alongside a shield player, sitting deep alongside them. Plus he's a bit clumsy and rash and if he was DM or given those responsibilities, he'd see a few cards over the course of the season... Like Wanyama, but without the defensive robustness he offers.

If only we'd go balls out for Schneiderlin.

How many chances did Watford create .? Oh and Capoeu the one who put it in row zz 50 yards wide was impressive?

Romeu was one of the better players preseason.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't forget a diamond can actually be more of a 4-3-3 than it is 4-4-2, with the front three made of the two strikers and attacking mid and then the other three miss sitting more.

Bingo!! We actually did just this against Watford.. a lot...if people watched the match

How many chances did Watford create .? Oh and Capoeu the one who put it in row zz 50 yards wide was impressive?

Romeu was one of the better players preseason.

Watford not creating enough chances wasn't down to Romeu being solid, the one they did create and take was his doing. Capoue got the better of him anytime he faced him on Saturday and was pretty impressive for Watford last season.

Like I said, I don't think he's a bad player, he just isn't that shield in front of a defence. I'm with Crab Lungs, he would be better alongside someone like that but even then Hojbjerg looks like he's going to be that guy.

Get off your high horse mate.

Watford not creating enough chances wasn't down to Romeu being solid, the one they did create and take was his doing. Capoue got the better of him anytime he faced him on Saturday and was pretty impressive for Watford last season.

Like I said, I don't think he's a bad player, he just isn't that shield in front of a defence. I'm with Crab Lungs, he would be better alongside someone like that but even then Hojbjerg looks like he's going to be that guy.

What high horse it's a discussion forum or do I have to agree with you even though I think your wrong?

If Romeu had Hojbjerg alongside him first half instead of the poor Davis and JWP then maybe we wouldn't have this chat mate.

Anyway gone off on a tangent back to signings?

As long as there are three teams weaker than Saints and wit a bit of luck we should achieve the boards main objective of staying up.

It will be made easier by an early exit from Europe and avoiding any wasteful Cup runs.

Lol at least other 12 teams main objective is staying up! That's not something to be ashamed of! We will be fine...now if we were Palace I would be worriedly!

Am I the only one worried that we are seriously light in defensive midfield? :uhoh:

No... Ive been seriously thinking this too

Id love an AM to replace Manè but if Im honest my pressing concern would be a DM (romeu isnt the answer) and a top(ish) level striker, a hold the line type, Benteke or Bony types if their wages weren't so restrictive

That, IMO, was what we missed last year, Pellè was ok, but I honestly believe that extra 15-20m would have got us through our winter slump and into a CL place potentially.

This year just feels the start of a decline really, an admitance that we can't compete, we are, imo significantly weaker then before, partly due to the investment around us

I like Romeu. I think he has the potential to be a very good player. He's intelligent and, despite making some rash challenges, has been rewarded with a starting spot so, in a sense, has justified the faith of Puel et al.

However, I don't believe that he will be given the chance to shine this year owing to the formation change - as the sole DM in front of the back four, he does not have a like-minded partner to rely upon. The Diamond formation is more attacking, and will leave Romeu a lot more exposed. It is my opinion that he will do just as well as Wanyama would do in the same position (that is, not as well as he would with a partner).

With regards to incoming transfers, my point is that, on the basis of the above, I don't think buying a new DM will help the defence to a degree substantial enough to garner necessary funding. Romeu will be doing a sufficient enough job as is. Whether the formation change is a good thing or not is another debate altogether (although my opinion is that, as of yet, it is an unconvincing switch - not least of all because the majority of players have been using the old system for two or more years, but also because I believe we are leaving the full-backs too exposed).

If we really must invest funds into a new player (all the evidence suggests that we may bring in one more player at best), then I think it is likely that we'll bring in a young player who is flexible in playing across the attacking line. Such a player would prove a good investment for the future, and could provide immediate support in reinforcement on the pitch.

I like Romeu. I think he has the potential to be a very good player. He's intelligent and, despite making some rash challenges, has been rewarded with a starting spot so, in a sense, has justified the faith of Puel et al.

However, I don't believe that he will be given the chance to shine this year owing to the formation change - as the sole DM in front of the back four, he does not have a like-minded partner to rely upon. The Diamond formation is more attacking, and will leave Romeu a lot more exposed. It is my opinion that he will do just as well as Wanyama would do in the same position (that is, not as well as he would with a partner).

With regards to incoming transfers, my point is that, on the basis of the above, I don't think buying a new DM will help the defence to a degree substantial enough to garner necessary funding. Romeu will be doing a sufficient enough job as is. Whether the formation change is a good thing or not is another debate altogether (although my opinion is that, as of yet, it is an unconvincing switch - not least of all because the majority of players have been using the old system for two or more years, but also because I believe we are leaving the full-backs too exposed).

If we really must invest funds into a new player (all the evidence suggests that we may bring in one more player at best), then I think it is likely that we'll bring in a young player who is flexible in playing across the attacking line. Such a player would prove a good investment for the future, and could provide immediate support in reinforcement on the pitch.

Agree. Unless the two wider midfielders compress space and/or drop behind Rom if he gets pulled forward/out of position we're exposing the defence. And not just the wings. That's why I made the comment about us being 'Arsenal-lite'.

There are a number of things in that goal that make it happen. Targett got wrong footed with a body feint but still had time to recover to get closer than he did to prevent the cross (he had cover immediately behind him), Cedric got out jumped by Deaney at the far post, at that point, JWP is the closest to Capoue, but both he and Romeu watch the ball and Capoue reacts quickest. Even then, he hits it off the side of his boot, with FF going the way a clean strike would go. It's not as easy as saying Romeu lost his man,IMO (see highlights from 17 seconds in,

)

Oh ffs!! Be glad when this transfer window is shut.

More rumours for more out than in and we simply can't lose anymore players.

I would love to know what % reed gets on player sales? Simply can't understand the obsession and ease at which we sell players each summer...... BIG Les must be a rich guy.

Oh ffs!! Be glad when this transfer window is shut.

More rumours for more out than in and we simply can't lose anymore players.

I would love to know what % reed gets on player sales? Simply can't understand the obsession and ease at which we sell players each summer...... BIG Les must be a rich guy.

Like the incentive scheme that rewarded Poch for finishing 8th at the expense of the FA Cup? That's so 2013 pal.