Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

I dont know is the answer. I do know we were an entertaining club for many seasons and finished 2nd in that time and so exceeded the present regime.

Me neither, and I agree - yes we were. But was that 2nd placed finish not us punching above our weight?

How can people not get this....

We sell players for so we have money to reinvest in the club. If we didn't, right now we would be trying to replace Lallana for free. How good a replacement do you think we'd find on a Bosman? Good news though, we wouldn't have sold Mané because without selling Lallana we couldn't have bought him in the first place.

People genuinely can't see to realise why players leave us for Liverpool and Man Utd. They have more money than us, it's that simple. If Everton offered Tony Pulis or Aitor Karanka £7m a year, they'd have gone to. The just didn't because Koeman is better. It's the same with players.

We aren't the only club either

Everton sold Rooney, Lescott, Fellaini, Stones, Arteta, Gravesen and Peinaar

West Ham sold Defoe, Carrick, Ferdinand, Tevez, Mascherano and Lampard

Spurs sold Bale, Robbie Keane, Modric, Berbatov, Carrick and Sol Campbell (who buggered off on a Bosman)

I doubt it, most reports about Tello said he heavily favoured returning to Fiorentina.. The mystery man Guan has been hinting at is meant to be keen to join us.

It isn't Tello. But i do have some bad news. The player's club have rejected our last offer, so the move looks dead. Guess they actually wanted to keep him, and weren't just jacking up the price. I regret I don't have better tidings, as I know it's not exactly happy on here at the moment.

It isn't Tello. But i do have some bad news. The player's club have rejected our last offer, so the move looks dead. Guess they actually wanted to keep him, and weren't just jacking up the price. I regret I don't have better tidings, as I know it's not exactly happy on here at the moment.

Can you tell us or give us a firmer clue who it is?

I think the frustration comes from the fact after a great last season we were all hoping that we would not have to go through another depressing pre-season. I don't care what you post on here, if you were told after the Man City game what was going to happen next it would have wiped the smile of your face. Just hope we get a player in we can all get excited about.

The top 4 or 5 threads on the forum all seem to be the same at the moment. Can we keep this one for transfer targets and keep the bickering to another thread?

Hopefully we get some solid leads and get in a forward in the next couple of weeks or so. With the Europa campaign we look a bit light up front.

First time in a while I've found myself questioning the club. I'm never normally pessimistic but I think it takes someone extremely positive to not see that this summer has been sh*t. We need to spend more money as we are significantly weaker than last season. Not asking for us to spend huge amounts but I think it's realistic to expect us to spend what we have brought in from transfer fees at the very minimum.

Pretty much this.

Me neither, and I agree - yes we were. But was that 2nd placed finish not us punching above our weight?
Its hard to say as at that time we had a squad of superb players and team good enough to do so. Is that punching above your weight? The UK olympic team is aabove China Germany ,Russia is that punching above our weight or just that we have invested in the squad and nurtured a team.

Interesting. I wonder whether we'll go back in with an increased deadline day bid if nothing else materialises - it may not be the Southampton Way, but sometimes you've got to throw caution to the wind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hope we weren't putting all our eggs in one basket and can get someone else in before the window shuts. Doesn't really matter when as it won't be done pre Man U and hopefully we have enough about us to get something out of Sunderland at home without reinforcements.

It's ok. The black box constantly monitors 3 or 3 players for each position for any eventuality

Look at this way when we had Mane, Pelle if we had any sort of ambition then? When we were 6th why didnt we lay down another 30 million sign two more decent players and go for the top 4?

To me that was the best oppurtunity to go for Champions League we will not see a similar postion / opportunity.

We are small time easily posched that is the Southampton way

I dont know why I wasnt suprised with this.

Can you tell us when Puel was interviewed if it went like this

Name ?

Claude

Do we need to buy anyone?

No

You've got the job

Its hard to say as at that time we had a squad of superb players and team good enough to do so. Is that punching above your weight? The UK olympic team is aabove China Germany ,Russia is that punching above our weight or just that we have invested in the squad and nurtured a team.

Difficult to say isn't it? I once got my paws on Caroline in sixth form. I didn't think I was punching above my weight, but others seemed to think so... :(

Interesting. I wonder whether we'll go back in with an increased deadline day bid if nothing else materialises - it may not be the Southampton Way, but sometimes you've got to throw caution to the wind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if the club really didnt want to sell, why ddint we pick up on that quicker and not waste our time?

What do you mean? I thought that it had nothing to do with the selling club what happens... So long as the buying club wants a player, and said player wants to leave, I thought it was nailed on...

What do you mean? I thought that it had nothing to do with the selling club what happens... So long as the buying club wants a player, and said player wants to leave, I thought it was nailed on...
Lol......the player must have had 2 years left on his contract....oh

We sell players for so we have money to reinvest in the club. If we didn't, right now we would be trying to replace Lallana for free. How good a replacement do you think we'd find on a Bosman? Good news though, we wouldn't have sold Mané because without selling Lallana we couldn't have bought him in the first place.

People genuinely can't see to realise why players leave us for Liverpool and Man Utd. They have more money than us, it's that simple. If Everton offered Tony Pulis or Aitor Karanka £7m a year, they'd have gone to. The just didn't because Koeman is better. It's the same with players.

Spurs sold Bale, Robbie Keane, Modric, Berbatov, Carrick and Sol Campbell (who buggered off on a Bosman)

Maybe the reason why someone would join Everton or West Ham would be because of more money. However I don't think that's the only (although of course it is a big one) why players go to Arsenal, Liverpool or Manchester United. You're performing on one of the biggest stages of world football every week, alongside superstars of the game (maybe not quite so much for Liverpool, but close). A trip to the Emirates or Old Trafford, even if they are notoriously quiet, and you realise what a step up it is from St Mary's.

If I was a professional, I'd want to play for Southampton. But if I played for years and had an opportunity to play for Manchester United at some point, even I'd consider it (maybe a 1 season loan, ha).

Difference is these were all over a number of years, we've lost a more players in 3 consecutive summers....with a good chance to push on at the end of each of those seasons, and we've decided not to do it. I will rate the squad when the transfer window is closed, however at the moment we are lacking and not sure you'll find one Saints fan who will say it's currently been a successful window...!

If it's dead can we know who it is/was?!

No, because this is obviously a tactic by Saints to get the player's club to accept our 'final' bid....

Senior SFC bod: Hey, Guan

Guan: Yes boss?

SFC: have turned down our final offer for

Guan: That's a bugger. Anything you'd like me to do?

SFC: Sure. If you could post on the SaintsWeb Forum that we've made our final offer. That way, the news will filter through to that we're not going to raise our bid and that the deal is dead, at which point they'll come crawling back to us to accept our current offer.

Guan: Ah, nice one boss. Leave it with me...

[yes, you're right. Utter nonsense from trousers yet again]

:)

Difference is these were all over a number of years, we've lost a more players in 3 consecutive summers....with a good chance to push on at the end of each of those seasons, and we've decided not to do it. I will rate the squad when the transfer window is closed, however at the moment we are lacking and not sure you'll find one Saints fan who will say it's currently been a successful window...!

At the start of each recent season it has appeared like we've taken two steps back and one forward, whereas it's probably been the opposite. Would you agree? My issue with this season is that we haven't even tried to replace all the players we've lost - I'll give the club the benefit of the doubt on whether they've made a good signing, but they have to at least sign someone in the first place!

That doesn't even factor in the extra Europa League exertion. Or the new formation which depends on players adapting well to positions they've never played previously. It could be a masterstroke but feels a little like a house of cards.

If the deal is dead, you can tell us who it was.

I thought the deal was pretty much done and close to being announced last week, if they had not even accepted our offer then we were miles from done so where did this deadline come from? People are being fed rubbish and no one knows anything in my opinion.

"Put out there we are buying someone, will be a massive deal, break our records..."

a few days later - "Ahh no, it never happened, tut, oh well, we'll keep looking"

Hard to believe anything until the signing has been announced.

I thought the deal was pretty much done and close to being announced last week, if they had not even accepted our offer then we were miles from done so where did this deadline come from? People are being fed rubbish and no one knows anything in my opinion.

"Put out there we are buying someone, will be a massive deal, break our records..."

a few days later - "Ahh no, it never happened, tut, oh well, we'll keep looking"

get us disappointed and then when an underwhelming signing comes in, it makes it seem a lot better lol

Ricordo Fuller at 90k would be greeted in cwelebration at the mo :lol::lol:

It's much the best position to take.