Villa 2 - 4 Saints - Reactions

Lighthouse

MotM vs Aston Villa (Away 2015/16)  

268 members have voted

1. 1. MotM vs Aston Villa (Away 2015/16)

• Forster
    • Bertrand
    • Soares
    • van Dijk
    • Fonte
    • Romeu
    • Wanyama
    • Davis
    • Rodriguez
    • Tadić
    • Long
    • Clasie
    • Mané

We all know Long is a poor finisher,and yet despite that is in double figures and runs centre halves ragged when played as a centre forward. If he was a half decent finisher he'd be getting 20+ a season and be comparable to Vardy, and probably wouldn't be playing for us

We all know Long is a poor finisher,and yet despite that is in double figures and runs centre halves ragged when played as a centre forward. If he was a half decent finisher he'd be getting 20+ a season and be comparable to Vardy, and probably wouldn't be playing for us

Why's Vardy at Leicester then?

Why's Vardy at Leicester then?

Because Vardy has only hit this form relatively recently and there has been little opportunity for the big sides to buy him. He wasn't going to leave in January given Leicester's position and his age will also potentially put people off.

Thought we were one paced & bang average today.

Tadic got 2 goals, but was not at all interested in helping the defence. Whoever is playing behind him is left 2 against 1 very often. Personally surprised people have voted him MOTM. For me it was Romeo. He worked tirelessly & has a far better range of passing than Wanyama, who I have to say was not in the slightest bit interested. If he wants to go, stop playing him.

Thought Bertrand kept pushing forward & pressing hard.

Jay Rod was a bit rusty, but certainly put the effort in.

Long could have scored 5, easily!!

Take the 3 points, but you could see RK was far from happy on the sidelines.

You must have been watching a different game as I thought tadic was excellent today. Was the best player last week aswell. Credit where credits due.

Last time Vardy was this prolific he was playing in the Vanarama National League......his form this season is completely out of the blue.

So the point is that players can improve. Who's to say Long wouldn't have got 20 this season and we'd be up there with Leicester. Long would still be at Saints just like Vardy is still at Leicester.

Clearly you don't have the same view as the bbc pundits http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36061070

Long in particular was made to look like a world-beater, finding acres of space to convert Ryan Bertrand's superb left-wing cross, then scorching past Lescott after Bacuna's error before rolling the ball across to Tadic.

Yeah, that's the Long I love to watch every week.

So the point is that players can improve. Who's to say Long wouldn't have got 20 this season and we'd be up there with Leicester. Long would still be at Saints just like Vardy is still at Leicester.

So what you seem to be saying is if Shane Long was better at scoring goals he would have scored more goals?

Clearly you don't have the same view as the bbc pundits http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36061070

Yeah, that's the Long I love to watch every week.

Don't really follow. Everyone knows Long isn't a natural finisher but I'd have him leading the line every week ahead of Pelle. Criticising his finishing doesn't mean I don't think he's an asset

I have never seen so many negative posts/tweets after an away win scoring four goals in the process; would you all rather we won one nil then we would have spent all game crapping ourselves when Villa got near the box?/

What a bunch of miserable sods, go support a posy team in League 2 and have a proper moan!

look what happens when we play long up top....think Koeman is realising this now....

I'm not sure this game can be used as a yardstick for anything TBH. We were playing the worst team the Premier League has seen since Derby came up 10 years ago, it's very rare that you come up against a team that poor (although Newcastle seem to manage it at St Mary's every season).

I have never seen so many negative posts/tweets after an away win scoring four goals in the process; would you all rather we won one nil then we would have spent all game crapping ourselves when Villa got near the box?

What a bunch of miserable sods, go support a posy team in League 2 and have a proper moan!

People are annoyed by how we failed to convert so much possession around the Villa box and that for most of the game it was finely balanced on a 1 goal advantage. We had a 2-0 lead for all of 6 minutes and a 3-1 lead for 14 minutes. We were sloppy, gave away cheap goals, wasted chances and would have lost to a better team.

Long, Mane, Pelle, Austin, Jay Rod.

Waaah waah waah why can't we be Leicester.

No the comment was that if Long was a 20 goal a season striker he wouldn't be at Saints. I'm saying not necessarily.

It's a simple point. I hope you can understand it now without getting into your usual high and mighty rants.

Weird game. Should have scored more and been comfortably out of sight but let them back in the game twice and at 3-2 we looked nervous.

Happy for Tadic that he got a couple and thought Romeu was good too.

Rubbish atmosphere in our end. I don't understand how 3000 of us can make such little noise.

No the comment was that if Long was a 20 goal a season striker he wouldn't be at Saints. I'm saying not necessarily.

It's a simple point. I hope you can understand it now without getting into your usual high and mighty rants.

You seem to be confusing a "20 goal a season striker" with "a striker that scores 20 goals in a season".

Those two things are not the same.

It's a simple point. I hope you can understand it now without resorting to your usual drivel.

Weird game. Should have scored more and been comfortably out of sight but let them back in the game twice and at 3-2 we looked nervous.

Rubbish atmosphere in our end. I don't understand how 3000 of us can make such little noise.

Like the team, I think we felt a bit sorry for Villa and went easy on them. It was a strange, sad atmosphere and away fans can't help being affected by it.

Our away support has been s**te for a couple of years, wasn't going to change today. Mad that we've taken biggest numbers in years to Villa for a game that doesn't mean anything.

You seem to be confusing a "20 goal a season striker" with "a striker that scores 20 goals in a season".

Those two things are not the same.

It's a simple point. I hope you can understand it now without resorting to your usual drivel.

Missing the point again. Give your fingers a rest.

Missing the point again. Give your fingers a rest.

Here's the original post. He's spot on.

You got dug out by about five posters for your Vardy comment in seconds and now have got nowhere to go except retreat. We all make mistakes.

Give your fingers a rest.

Like the team, I think we felt a bit sorry for Villa and went easy on them. It was a strange, sad atmosphere and away fans can't help being affected by it.

I was quietly pleased we didn't resort to loads of "going down" songs. We've been in that position and it's bad enough without the opposition fans needlessly rubbing it in. It's not like we have any real history with them to feel the need to be pleased about them being in such a mess.

Our presence was of no importance to the Villa fans at all which probably affected our atmosphere as there was no real needle between the fans. It's quite a strange sight to see the opposition fans celebrating our goals and not really caring when they scored.

Long was frustrating, but aside from the very first chance I don't remember too many of those opportunities being absolute should have scored chances. He probably should have had at least one more goal, but they were mostly half-glimpses and reflex reaction shots. Mind you his first touch - as it often is - was generally really bad, which makes it harder for himself.

Wasted chances are one thing, but I am more concerned about the ****-poor defending that led to two easy goals for them. City and Spurs will demolish us if that continues.

Long was frustrating, but aside from the very first chance I don't remember too many of those opportunities being absolute should have scored chances. He probably should have had at least one more goal, but they were mostly half-glimpses and reflex reaction shots. Mind you his first touch - as it often is - was generally really bad, which makes it harder for himself.

Wasted chances are one thing, but I am more concerned about the ****-poor defending that led to two easy goals for them. City and Spurs will demolish us if that continues.

I doubt we'll be as gung-ho in our attack as we were today against a piss poor Villa team. Also, we had a record run of minutes without conceding, so the ability is there. Plus big Vic will be putting in a shop window performance in front of the back four. We may lose but I doubt it'll be by many.

Yes, what did you make of that - thumped the badge too, maybe he's staying.

yes, maybe he is staying?

He has struggled to fit in at times, despite his many excellent performances.

Perhaps the fire at his (Senegal) home has brought him down to Earth and he wants to get some stability somewhere in his life.(?)

Hopefully he will stay and what a strike force that would give us next season........

well someone was singing loudly. I watched the game on the net and I could hear WTSGMI time and time again, not much from Villa fans - except booing.

I was quietly pleased we didn't resort to loads of "going down" songs. We've been in that position and it's bad enough without the opposition fans needlessly rubbing it in. It's not like we have any real history with them to feel the need to be pleased about them being in such a mess.

Our presence was of no importance to the Villa fans at all which probably affected our atmosphere as there was no real needle between the fans. It's quite a strange sight to see the opposition fans celebrating our goals and not really caring when they scored.

watching it on TV reminded me of the bad days when our club was tearing itself apart.

They have to be careful or they could end up going straight down again.

Our away support has been s**te for a couple of years, wasn't going to change today. Mad that we've taken biggest numbers in years to Villa for a game that doesn't mean anything.

Really? Three points don't mean anything anymore? Look at the league table and see how close we are.One point last week rather than three means we still have to win the next three games.

well someone was singing loudly. I watched the game on the net and I could hear WTSGMI time and time again, not much from Villa fans - except booing.

Good riddance to bad rubbish IMO..their fans sing about empty seats everywhere they go yet never fill their own ground.

Bad season and they desert their club in droves..they should be going to see the premier league teams whilst they can as they have a decade of Rotherham, MK Dons and Carlisle to look forward to.

Empty seats me Lord, empty seats ohhh oh empty seats...

Your grounds too big for you and will be forever more!

Lol

watching it on TV reminded me of the bad days when our club was tearing itself apart.

They have to be careful or they could end up going straight down again.

They are in such a mess that I can see them going straight through to league 1. Villa might even have to go through what we went through - i.e. be pushed to the edge - before they recover.

That club looks a train wreck from top to bottom.

From our perspective it was a welcome win, probably made more difficult than it should have been. I don't see us getting into Europe but whilst it's still mathematically possible we need to keep going.

Hopefully next season with Austin up and running we'll have a bit more goals about us, IMO it's been our biggest problem this season.

They are in such a mess that I can see them going straight through to league 1. Villa might even have to go through what we went through - i.e. be pushed to the edge - before they recover.

That club looks a train wreck from top to bottom.

From our perspective it was a welcome win, probably made more difficult than it should have been. I don't see us getting into Europe but whilst it's still mathematically possible we need to keep going.

Hopefully next season with Austin up and running we'll have a bit more goals about us, IMO it's been our biggest problem this season.

yes, it is a shame Austin has not been fit for us