Ron Koeman

Saint Fan CaM

Whether he signs a new contract or not he will be here next season - I really dont understand why people think the club will get rid of him if he doesnt - it makes no sense whats so ever - he will be as professional next year as the last two years so what is the problem

People seem convinced that Ronald and the payers will just take it easy if they know he is leaving. On the other hand if ronald is leaving next summer he'll want next season to be a good one to give him better job options at the end.

From the interview with him on YouTube, seems like his brother (who he clearly loves working with) and their wives will have quite a big say on whether they continue with Saints further than 3 seasons or not. Regardless, getting 3 seasons out of a manager is not bad in 2016.

I think the issue here is more complex than we make out.

He said he will be here for another year an I believe he will. I don't think they will replace him, because why should they? He isn't doping too bad and iut is his team.

I think it is like thia:

- He doesn't want a new contract yet, but wants to agree how we are to proceed from this point on to improve.

- If the board are going to contionue to sell the team from ben eath him he'll go at the end of his contract

-If the baord don't back up their commitment by giving new contracts to the team, he'll go again at the end

-If they don't get his choices for strengthening the squad he'll go

- If they don't at least try to keep Mane he'll go. I don't think he's too bothered with Wanyama.

- If he's not convinced that the club will put their money where there mouth is, he'll go.

If all of these con ditions are met, he'll stay....for another year, until they are no longer being met, or he's got a more interesting job, and he will continue to do this until he goes.

So this thread will be a sticky as he'll do the same each year until he's off.

So nothign to see at the moment. Next seasons end is the crunch time. And in Rons mind, what he is doing is no big deal, is perfectly acceptable, it's the way he has always doen it, and what's the matter with the fans and media in this country, just have a coke and a smoke and shut the f*** up, it's business as usual.

I am very disturbed to read that Ronald is doping the team. Clearly statements like this prove the age old Southampton fan ethos that something will go wrong.

6th placed team in the EPL get there by Doping.

With the current global focus on Drugs use in sport, I am not sure we should even be considering negotiating anything but a severance and possible lifetime ban.

Whether he signs a new contract or not he will be here next season - I really dont understand why people think the club will get rid of him if he doesnt - it makes no sense whats so ever - he will be as professional next year as the last two years so what is the problem

But will the board give him the transfer kitty that he's after if he's only staying to the end of the season? I would have thought that they may want a longer term commitment if they are to spend a substantial sum.

How does a club try to convince a top player, mane for example, to sign a new contract when the manager won't? If the managers on the fence then either the players you want to keep will follow suit or look to move. The manager signs a new contract and you've got a much stronger argument to pitch to the players.

How does a club try to convince a top player, mane for example, to sign a new contract when the manager won't? If the managers on the fence then either the players you want to keep will follow suit or look to move. The manager signs a new contract and you've got a much stronger argument to pitch to the players.

Errr VVD, Forster and JWP....

If he doesn't sign jog him on and get a new man in, No team does well knowing their manager is leaving at the end of the season !

Who runs this club? manager or the people put in charge my the owner!

koeman is a great manager BUT he should be blessed to be apart of southampton not southampton blessed to have koeman.

the club have shown ambition for 7 years!

should be on our demands not his.

#wemarchon

Its not him, but the players I'm worried about. I remember Ferguson announcing his retirement, his side went down the pan. He later retracted his retirement plans and got them back again.

I'm not sure how Ron sells the club, when it can't be sold to him.

The club should move heaven and earth to keep him.

Its not him, but the players I'm worried about. I remember Ferguson announcing his retirement, his side went down the pan. He later retracted his retirement plans and got them back again.

I'm not sure how Ron sells the club, when it can't be sold to him.

The club should move heaven and earth to keep him.

Spot on.

Why would he want to overhaul the squad? Really can't see that happening in any scenario.

I think he just meant replacing who we lose and adding a couple more. Maybe overhaul wasn't the right word. That's the impression I got anyway.

How do you know that RK will not sign a new contract. If he doesn't why does that mean that Mane wouldn't sign a new contract?

If he doesn't sign jog him on and get a new man in, No team does well knowing their manager is leaving at the end of the season !

Just because he doesn't sign an extension doesn't mean he's necessarily leaving at the end of next season. There's nothing to stop him and the club extending the contract just before it expires. Unless we are in a Pellegrini situation (and I doubt Saints would do that), or RK announces he's leaving, it should be business as usual next season. WGS announced it was his last season, and that did make a difference.

And of course it's different to the last year of a player's contract, where we could lose significant transfer fees if it runs down (e.g. why Clyne was sold).

But will the board give him the transfer kitty that he's after if he's only staying to the end of the season? I would have thought that they may want a longer term commitment if they are to spend a substantial sum.

Exactly this. If the board think he will not extend then do they want to spend up big buying "Koeman players" this summer when those players may not suit a new manager in one years time? Ronald's strategy may work in Holland but the PL is a different beast and the board need to decide which manager will get the benefit of, most likely, substantial transfer funds to take the club forward. Also the media would make next season very uncomfortable if no commitment and the attitude of the players is an unknown quantity with a lame duck manager. I hope they are burning the midnight oil at St Mary's to find a solution to all of this.

Exactly this. If the board think he will not extend then do they want to spend up big buying "Koeman players" this summer when those players may not suit a new manager in one years time? Ronald's strategy may work in Holland but the PL is a different beast and the board need to decide which manager will get the benefit of, most likely, substantial transfer funds to take the club forward. Also the media would make next season very uncomfortable if no commitment and the attitude of the players is an unknown quantity with a lame duck manager. I hope they are burning the midnight oil at St Mary's to find a solution to all of this.

Maybe a new Dutch manager would help?;)

Any news on the contract extension? Whether it's happening or not..

I think we need to replace him ASAP if he won't sign.. Another season and the players will have their heads turned and there will be uncertainly meaning another mass exodus. Let's hope it doesn't get to that and the club shows the ambition he wants to see.

Any news on the contract extension? Whether it's happening or not..

I think we need to replace him ASAP if he won't sign.. Another season and the players will have their heads turned and there will be uncertainly meaning another mass exodus. Let's hope it doesn't get to that and the club shows the ambition he wants to see.

Guessing they've had talks and Ron's gone away on holiday to think about it.

Guessing they've had talks and Ron's gone away on holiday to think about it.

He did say if the talk went well his decision could be quickly taken. With every passing day now the inference grows that there will be no extension signed. The question now is how the board will react. Stick or twist?

He did say if the talk went well his decision could be quickly taken. With every passing day now the inference grows that there will be no extension signed. The question now is how the board will react. Stick or twist?

More likely will they stick or stick? Do you really think that the Board will sack Ronald? Because that's the option to not sticking. It won't happen.

Ronald has a contract agreed with the Board to continue until 2017 and that's what will happen. If Ronald does sign an extension great, but if he doesn't i really don't believe anything will change, certainly the Club would not go down the route of replacing him and then having to fork out compensation, and also making themselves look completely foolish for sacking a manager who has just delivered our most successful season for 21 years and European football.

More likely will they stick or stick? Do you really think that the Board will sack Ronald? Because that's the option to not sticking. It won't happen.

Ronald has a contract agreed with the Board to continue until 2017 and that's what will happen. If Ronald does sign an extension great, but if he doesn't i really don't believe anything will change, certainly the Club would not go down the route of replacing him and then having to fork out compensation, and also making themselves look completely foolish for sacking a manager who has just delivered our most successful season for 21 years and European football.

You are probably right but they won't be happy - Cortese might have been more ruthless of course, but there is a different hand on the tiller these days. Of course if they have someone lined up things could be interesting.

This all comes down to contract length. If we sign a contract for a job for three years it means we work for that company for three years. Why should three years mean two years in football? I get it when it comes to players because it effects their value in the transfer market but why should it make a difference to a manager? We know that the job is precarious and that they can be sacked at any point determined by results. You can even be sacked after winning the FA Cup. Seems odd that there is so much consternation if a manager says he is happy to work out his contract if he is doing a good job. If the club knows that Ron is going next year they can make plans well in advance and hopefully he will continue to build the club up and leave it in a better shape than he found it. That is his job. That is what we pay him for. He still has 33.3% of his time with is left to run. Why get rid when things are going well just because he might not sign an extension to his contract?

You are probably right but they won't be happy - Cortese might have been more ruthless of course, but there is a different hand on the tiller these days. Of course if they have someone lined up things could be interesting.

That's right - if the board feel he won't extend and the person top of the list to replace him is available now the board would almost be forced to twist

I just hope Ronald gets back from holiday and extends his deal

Why do you think Jose hasn't signed The Stadium Of Prawn Sarnies Contract yet? He'd much rather come to us, and is watching the situation closely.

(I could be making this up, but sounds as likely as any other rumours doing the rounds about Ron and our players!!)

With each passing day without news of a contract extension, the likelihood of that happening diminishes. The rumour on here was that the Board would not want to enter into a new season with a manager that wasn't committed to beyond one season - it never seems to work well and there are likely some significant squad decisions to be made this summer to push on.

The club do have an excellent chance now to gain ground via the Europa contest providing there is enough money to maintain more than 12-14 players of high Prem quality - having Championship level players to rotate into the first team is not moving forwards - this is key I think. Much work to be done by Les & Co - past summers have shown they know what they're doing - let's hope they can do it again.

This all comes down to contract length. If we sign a contract for a job for three years it means we work for that company for three years. Why should three years mean two years in football? I get it when it comes to players because it effects their value in the transfer market but why should it make a difference to a manager? We know that the job is precarious and that they can be sacked at any point determined by results. You can even be sacked after winning the FA Cup. Seems odd that there is so much consternation if a manager says he is happy to work out his contract if he is doing a good job. If the club knows that Ron is going next year they can make plans well in advance and hopefully he will continue to build the club up and leave it in a better shape than he found it. That is his job. That is what we pay him for. He still has 33.3% of his time with is left to run. Why get rid when things are going well just because he might not sign an extension to his contract?

I think it matters because going into a season knowing it may be your Managers last never ends well. It affects the club and it affects the players. I can't think of any time in England where speculation over a Managers future when he has a year left on his deal has not negatively impacted a club. I have no doubts that Koeman would try has hard in Year 3 as he did in Year 1 and 2 of his contract. But it is not a healthy situation to be in - which is why the club and Koeman are sitting down to discuss it.

I think it matters because going into a season knowing it may be your Managers last never ends well. It affects the club and it affects the players. I can't think of any time in England where speculation over a Managers future when he has a year left on his deal has not negatively impacted a club. I have no doubts that Koeman would try has hard in Year 3 as he did in Year 1 and 2 of his contract. But it is not a healthy situation to be in - which is why the club and Koeman are sitting down to discuss it.

Exactly. We've seen how the issue has been brought up time and time again in press conferences even this season and it will only intensify as next season progresses. It is disruptive, no one can get away from that fact.

With each passing day without news of a contract extension, the likelihood of that happening diminishes. The rumour on here was that the Board would not want to enter into a new season with a manager that wasn't committed to beyond one season - it never seems to work well and there are likely some significant squad decisions to be made this summer to push on.

The club do have an excellent chance now to gain ground via the Europa contest providing there is enough money to maintain more than 12-14 players of high Prem quality - having Championship level players to rotate into the first team is not moving forwards - this is key I think. Much work to be done by Les & Co - past summers have shown they know what they're doing - let's hope they can do it again.

Behave it's been one week since the end of the season. Complex discussions take time. And even if it's good news, we'll invariably be the last to know.

Is the guy not entitled to a couple of weeks holiday ?

Nobody knows if they did or didnt agree a deal before he went and the paperwork is being drawn up ready for him to sign upon his return.

If the club and Ronald are both happy, both know the situation, then why should he fly back from his holiday to sign a contract extension ?

Of course we all hoped for an announcement before he went away but that hasn't happened. Its niether good news or bad news, we just dont know at this point.

Is the guy not entitled to a couple of weeks holiday ?

Nobody knows if they did or didnt agree a deal before he went and the paperwork is being drawn up ready for him to sign upon his return.

If the club and Ronald are both happy, both know the situation, then why should he fly back from his holiday to sign a contract extension ?

Of course we all hoped for an announcement before he went away but that hasn't happened. Its niether good news or bad news, we just dont know at this point.

Sensible; let's wait and see what happens. I trust the club either way. Can't help thinking about Guan's 'new direction' post a few weeks back though.

if NC was still in charge Koeman probably wouldn't have survived the mid season dip around Christmas and this would all be moot.

Sensible; let's wait and see what happens. I trust the club either way. Can't help thinking about Guan's 'new direction' post a few weeks back though.

One line that he has completely failed to embellish on. Unless he wants to add a bit more meat to the bones is hardly worth speculating on.

Behave it's been one week since the end of the season. Complex discussions take time. And even if it's good news, we'll invariably be the last to know.

I don't think anything I've said indicates I expect more than has already been mentioned by Ronald himself - i.e. he said he would be discussing the situation with the club last week. Perhaps there's a delay because of the FA Cup result affecting Europe - who knows? There's no need to panic, however thinking that discussions have not been on-going in some form for some time is naïve.

Except Koeman himself said it wasn't complex and hinted if the club said what he wanted to hear then it could get sorted quickly.

Except Koeman himself said it wasn't complex and hinted if the club said what he wanted to hear then it could get sorted quickly.

And for all we know something has been agreed in principle and a contract is being drawn up while RK goes on holiday. By the same token, Im not saying you're wrong. All Im saying is that it's hard to infer much after only one week. Any number of scenarios and possibilities is still feasible at this stage.

I assume what he wants to hear from Les Reed is that he is not planning to sell a couple of our best players every year. Mane will be the real test as his contract runs until September 2018 and he seems happy enough to stay so there is no need to sell him this summer unless it's all about cashing in on him as soon as possible, and Koeman knows that.

I assume what he wants to hear from Les Reed is that he is not planning to sell a couple of our best players every year. Mane will be the real test as his contract runs until September 2018 and he seems happy enough to stay so there is no need to sell him this summer unless it's all about cashing in on him as soon as possible, and Koeman knows that.

Long term English football contract are generally until 30th June of a year. It isn't set to coincide with the same date the player signed.

When was the last time we sold a player that didn't want to leave?

We don't need to sell Mané for any other reason, if we can keep hold of him for longer, we will.

When was the last time we sold a player that didn't want to leave?

We don't need to sell Mané for any other reason, if we can keep hold of him for longer, we will.

Don't agree. Mané might be quite willing to spend another year at the club (never mind our contractual rights); but be unwilling to sign a new contract. If so, the club has obvious incentives to sell him now before he enters the final year of his contract. The difference with Wanyama is opportunity cost: we're likely to forego more money by letting Mané run down his contract than we have done with Wanyama.

Ultimately these outcomes reflect the tensions embedded in our business model (notwithstanding its strengths) as much as players desire to leave: we're much more reliant on players capital appreciation as a source of investment (as opposed to owners investing new money), so our room for manoeuvre will always be more limited in cases like this.

Edited by shurlock

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3603690/Manuel-Pellegrini-talks-Everton-job-Toffees-step-search-new-manager.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

This report seems to indicate that Everton will "meet" with Koeman this week.

Seems unlikely to be true to me seeing as he is under contract with another club.

Sorry, where does it indicate that exactly? Evidently I've left my reading glasses at home.

Sorry, where does it indicate that exactly? Evidently I've left my reading glasses at home.

It is far from certain, though, that Pellegrini will be chosen to oversee the project Moshiri has in mind for Everton and a number of other candidates will be met this week.

They include the bookmakers’ favourite, Southampton’s Ronald Koeman, and Frank De Boer, who has just left his position at Ajax. Both men share the same agent, Guido Albers.

It is far from certain, though, that Pellegrini will be chosen to oversee the project Moshiri has in mind for Everton and a number of other candidates will be met this week.

They include the bookmakers’ favourite, Southampton’s Ronald Koeman, and Frank De Boer, who has just left his position at Ajax. Both men share the same agent, Guido Albers.

Ta\Thanks. Got lost in all the pictures/advertisements.

Well assuming there *any* shred of truth in those whispers that we might look to replace Ronald if he is being non-committal about extending his stay, then I wouldn't have thought we'd stand in his way if Everton ask to talk to him.

RK is only 4th favourite according to Oddschecker

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3603690/Manuel-Pellegrini-talks-Everton-job-Toffees-step-search-new-manager.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

Seems unlikely to be true to me seeing as he is under contract with another club.

Thought RK was on holiday, no doubt at his Villa in Portugal. So Everton fly out to meet him? Sure Mrs Koeman will be happy with that. Sounds like crap to me.

Ive read it twice and it indicates nothing of the sort.....you love a negative slant dont you? but in this case you have made it up....why do you do that?