Ronald Koeman Joins Everton - CONFIRMED

Jimmy_D

Just been pondering the topics of ambition, investment and success: in the context of the EPL.

Which of the non-traditional 'top' teams have 'spent' their way to success in recent years? Man City most recently perhaps...and.....ummmmm, I'm struggling. Chelsea going back some few years of course.

And in the same timeframe, which clubs have overspent and imploded? It's a far longer list I'm sure.

A half-sensible Evertonian would be quietly excited; and with a healthy slice of cynicism thrown in.

It's going to be interesting how things play out for them.

I appreciate what he did for us here but I won't wish him luck. I can understand wanting to make more money, we all want to do that. But the way he has decided to leave and have two agents playing the field is very disrespectful to us. Nothing more than a money grabber and shows what he said was nothing but sound bites. I won't do the whole "he will be sacked by xmas" like some did with Mopo as i dont think he will.

It is now over to Ralph and Les to sort it out and show we are ambitious. That the talk of wanting to get into the top 4 was not a load of ********. We need someone in who commands respect, has experience at the top level and is a proven success. Not someone like Howe who currently isnt.

Glad that's over.

On a side note, I've never in all my life known a set of fans sign up to another clubs main board to tell them just how big they are etc etc. It's really sad to see and it's reminiscent of a club that is firmly in the shadow of it's nearest rival, a rival that cares more about a team that play up the m62 than them.

Don't think we had one liverpool, Utd or Spurs fan join to tell how massive they were. As mad is it may sound, Everton fans seem worse than West Ham fans now. :lol:

This. It's quite pathetic really.

I do find the desire to sign up to other team's forums a bit bizarre, it was momentous (and hassle) enough for me joining this one!

Perhaps the most farcicle thing I will take away from this though is the willingness of people (at the current time, Everton fans, but by no means limited to them), to link ambition to money or wealth. If the owners of Rochdale aren't throwing millions at new facilities, players and managers, that doesn't mean they aren't ambitious for what they can achieve, it just means they either don't have millions to spend, or they don't think it is the way to go about things.

It's laughable that a club can become ambitious through the presence of a wealthy backer. All that's changed is the relative ease with which it can achieve those ambitions, and it certainly shouldn't belittle the aims and targets that more budget-constrained clubs have. It's not just condescending, it's damn right illogical.

No. An unverified story in the papers is not a sign of ambition, taking your manager is though.

If you want to pay a manager who will not commit to more than one year 6m per annum and pay us 5 m to take away what is effectively a lame manager who was going in 12 months anyway, I call that stupidity not ambition.

Let's hope he stays more than a year with you. The problem is he will only stay if he fails at your place not really ideal for an ambitious club s it?

Edited by Saint Without a Halo

Sideways move at best purely because they've thrown money at him, that's what over £13 million for one year of a manager.

And people thought Shane Long was over priced.

Those Everton fans are frankly laughable, big club? big clubs win trophies, play champions league football and play in front of 50-60k every week. Everton are none of those, they are middling club that's been going nowhere for 20 years.

That's probably why they are all on here being all condescending, nothing else worth shouting about their club, so their greatest achievement in about 10 years is poaching another clubs manager. Feel sorry for them to be honest, but I'll enjoy finishing above them AGAIN next year.

I think if either is offered terms that are appealing to them they'll force a move. As I said, I think we'll have other targets but if they don't work out we might move for one or two of your lads. Haven't seen much of Ward-Prowse but he might also be of interest.

I think cloud and cuckoo come to mind. Spurs thought that and nobody was allowed to go to Spurs. It will be the same for Everton. Anybody but Everton. Of course there could be exceptions £30m for Ward Prowse would just compensate us and maybe £20m for Pelle would be good value. They are really vital parts of our team and if they need a lift I'll drive them up myself.

How on earth did we get them to fork out £5m when he is only paid £2.5m a year? Footballers can buy themselves out of their contracts once in the last year (for the amount they would have been paid), you'd think managers would be able to do that as well. That has perked me up a bit. Hope we have someone who isn't on the short list knocking around the interweb (as it doesn't inspire me much) that will inspire players to stay and join the continued route upwards...

It seems Everton are celebrating taking our manager. Something they can now do with their investment. I think that really sums up how far we've come, that a reasonably big, you know, top 10 sort of club like Everton celebrate taking our manager, when very recently we were in league 1 and the championship. Amazing really, long may it continue.

Next season will be amazing. Man Utd, City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs and apparently even Everton all desperate to improve substantially. They can't all do it, they can't all sign everyone, they can't all beat everyone, and there still won't be any easy games. So we're guaranteed some hilarious failure and I bet one of Saints or West Ham or Leicester gatecrash that top 6 again.

West Ham fans are just as gobby as Everton ones but at least they have European football to shout about.

For all Everton's so called history they are just another mid table team. They're the Liverpool version of West Brom.

I think if either is offered terms that are appealing to them they'll force a move. As I said, I think we'll have other targets but if they don't work out we might move for one or two of your lads. Haven't seen much of Ward-Prowse but he might also be of interest.

I think cloud and cuckoo come to mind. Spurs thought that and nobody was allowed to go to Spurs. It will be the same for Everton. Anybody but Everton. Of course there could be exceptions £30m for Ward Prowse would just compensate us and maybe £20m for Pelle would be good value. They are really vital parts of our team and if they need a lift I'll drive them up myself.

Also Spurs are actually a step up, our players might have wanted to go there but we wouldn't let them! Might change now it's been a couple of years and Wanyama has 1 year left. Be shocked if any of our players would want to join Everton without European football, if they did want to it's for the money and would show them for who they are.

I don't think I'll ever encounter a group of fans with a greater superiority complex and who still feed off glories people under 30 weren't even born to witness. Patronising, deluded, cluster****s of a fanbase.

All they have on us is a bloody expensive crystal ball. Sincerely hope I can troll the hell out of their forum throughout the next twelve months. Over entitled, arrogant morons.

And breathe.

Onwards and upwards.

Seen loads of managers that I like come and go; Koeman certainly won't be the last! No hard feelings from me. Common isn't an elite manager by any stretch. He's a solid manager but absolutely nothing that we can't find elsewhere. Everton have paid us (laughably) handsomely for a guy that was gunna be leaving in the next 12 months. In a strange way, I think this could prove to be good for us as now we can attract a really good (perhaps better?) replacement as our stock is as high as it has ever been.

For Koeman it's an interesting move. He was clearly backed into a corner by saints here. "Sign a contract or walk" was probably the nature of the conversation. Tough city to live in though. I'd say he will get a shock when he swaps his penthouse Ocean Village flat for Liverpool's equivalent. Oh and he better get his Hillsborough routine in check. His attendance will be required at the memorial service which appears to occur every other month in the city.

Thanks for getting us into Europe, Ron. Now enjoy counting your cash.
good luck to him,i would have been the same if they offered stupid money,we had 2 good years with him and before that ponchtino..the modern game no manager is going to stay at any club in the premier league more than a few years... i,m just suprised he chose everton thow despite their history.... i thought he would have chosen one of the big boys has his next move and i expected him to leave anyway in a years time . the only good thing cortese put in a system which keeps the club in the direction they want to go and i expect they already have a short list at saints identifing the next manager who fits the club system. Edited by solentstars

Now he's F****d off i can tell you that the reason for our slump before xmas was that Koeman took the opportunity (no cup games) to book a holiday and sack off training. In fact he constantly sacked off training to go and play golf in Portugal whenever he could. He gave the players that time off as well. The staff raised an eyebrow and were not v happy with that kind of discipline. Poch would have had them doing triple sessions and remaining focused in our most important fixture pile up. No wonder he left when we got European football...lacks ambition

And yet Mané was dropped for being late for lunch or whatever it was.

Seen loads of managers that I like come and go; Koeman certainly won't be the last! No hard feelings from me. Common isn't an elite manager by any stretch. He's a solid manager but absolutely nothing that we can't find elsewhere. Everton have paid us (laughably) handsomely for a guy that was gunna be leaving in the next 12 months. In a strange way, I think this could prove to be good for us as now we can attract a really good (perhaps better?) replacement as our stock is as high as it has ever been.

For Koeman it's an interesting move. He was clearly backed into a corner by saints here. "Sign a contract or walk" was probably the nature of the conversation. Tough city to live in though. I'd say he will get a shock when he swaps his penthouse Ocean Village flat for Liverpool's equivalent. Oh and he better get his Hillsborough routine in check. His attendance will be required at the memorial service which appears to occur every other month in the city.

i thought he would have stayed for one year before taking over at arsenal but good luck to him and liverpool is a great modern city and have lovely apartments facing the sea unlike the image people down south like to potray it as a wasteland.

We're a big club historically, I don't think that's in doubt. We have had two poor seasons in a row and, longer, gone almost thirty years without a league title. That's the reality, although one determined by poor owners. We now have an owner who identified Koeman as his preferred managerial appointment and quietly went ahead and got him in spite of many saying it wouldn't happen.

As you'll be aware from your recent history in the lower leagues, things change. We at Everton honestly wish you all the best. No hostility intended at all.

It was out in the papers as soon as Martinez had gone so how on earth is that "quietly". He uses the same dirty tactics as Levy...No class.

Jeremy Wilson ‏@JWTelegraph

Ronald Koeman talks still expected to go on for a few days but he does have permission from Southampton to speak with Everton

^ Well that shouldn't take too long!

Really? I love the pretence that we have now given him permission to talk to Everton. As if him an Everton talking through his agent isn't like real speaking...

Unlikely you'll take VVD? Koeman gets more money and lots to spend, fair enough. But VVD wouldn't leave for Everton, he's probably already too good for us, let alone Everton.

If he goes, and I imagine it'll be next summer not this, it'll be for big money and a much bigger club.

We all said that about the manager and we have been touting him for Arsenal and Barcelona.:blush:

i thought he would have stayed for one year before taking over at arsenal but good luck to him and liverpool is a great modern city and have lovely apartments facing the sea unlike the image people down south like to potray it as a wasteland.

TBH I think he thought he had taken saints as far as he could. I think even he was surprised how we finished this season. With his stock high and some club prepared to throw cash it him he probably decided to take it while it was on offer.

N

A big club in the same way as Wolves Burnley Huddersfield etc are historically big clubs...

I'm Sorry, I feel I have to reply on behalf of my Everton friend. You clearly don't understand the history of our club. Let me enlighten you with a few of the many facts about Everton.

* Founder members of the Football League in 1888

* Founder members of the Premier League in 1992

* First club presented with the League Championship trophy

* First club to be presented with League winners medals

* First club to stage an FA Cup Final in 1894

* First English club to go on an overseas tour in 1905

* First club to build a purpose-built football stadium

* First club to have a four-side stadium with two-tier stands

* First club to have a stadium with a three-tier stand

* First club to issue a regular match programme

* First club to have a player score 60 league goals

* First club to wear numbered shirts, 1-11 in 1933

* First club to install dugouts

* First club to install floodlights

* First club to install under soil heating

* First club to play 4,000 top-flight games

* First club to amass 5,000 league points

* First club to play 100 seasons in the top flight

* First British club to stage a World Cup semi-final

* Have been in the top division of English football longer than ANY other side

There are more trivial ones I could quote and I haven't mentioned titles or cups but you get the picture. This club has more History than any other club in the country and Everton fans are rightly proud of this fact. So to compare us to the likes of Wolves and Burnley is misguided and foolish.

I will admit that the love of that history combined with 30 years of frustration and over excitement has led to some ill advised, condescending and downright nasty comments by some of my fellow supporters, but I am sure you will agree there has been an equal amount of vitriol on behalf of some of the Southampton fans.

We all love our clubs and we want what's best for them but there is no need to turn it into a hate campaign.

To clear up some other points made on this forum regarding the so called "ambition" of the club. As I see it, a site on the Mersey waterfront has been identified for a 55/60,000 seater stadium which with Everton's large fan base it will fill, together with a massive improvement in corporate revenue (which is nearly non existent at Goodison) and stadium naming rights will massively increase revenue for the club to be able to compete at a much higher level financially. Obviously the biggest resource is the fan-base and the new stadium.

As for poaching managers, that's football. It happens. Personally I hope he doesn't go back for any of your players, Its not that they aren't any good but just that we would have to pay vastly over inflated prices.

finally, before you say it, no I don't have a job as I am retired after working for the same company for 30 years. I went to my first match in 1971.

I'm Sorry, I feel I have to reply on behalf of my Everton friend. You clearly don't understand the history of our club. Let me enlighten you with a few of the many facts about Everton.

There are more trivial ones I could quote and I haven't mentioned titles or cups but you get the picture. This club has more History than any other club in the country and Everton fans are rightly proud of this fact. So to compare us to the likes of Wolves and Burnley is misguided and foolish.

I will admit that the love of that history combined with 30 years of frustration and over excitement has led to some ill advised, condescending and downright nasty comments by some of my fellow supporters, but I am sure you will agree there has been an equal amount of vitriol on behalf of some of the Southampton fans.

We all love our clubs and we want what's best for them but there is no need to turn it into a hate campaign.

To clear up some other points made on this forum regarding the so called "ambition" of the club. As I see it, a site on the Mersey waterfront has been identified for a 55/60,000 seater stadium which with Everton's large fan base it will fill, together with a massive improvement in corporate revenue (which is nearly non existent at Goodison) and stadium naming rights will massively increase revenue for the club to be able to compete at a much higher level financially. Obviously the biggest resource is the fan-base and the new stadium.

As for poaching managers, that's football. It happens. Personally I hope he doesn't go back for any of your players, Its not that they aren't any good but just that we would have to pay vastly over inflated prices.

finally, before you say it, no I don't have a job as I am retired after working for the same company for 30 years. I went to my first match in 1971.

:poundit:

You forgot "and have done eff all for 30 years"

Given Saints have extracted £5 million compensation out of Everton, I doubt they had previously told RK "sign a contract extension or walk". But if they did, RK had every right to say "OK, I'll walk then".

I suppose someone in Liverpool has to work for the job centre......

Why are you on this forum?

First club to issue regular club programme......Jesus wept