Ronald Koeman Joins Everton - CONFIRMED

Jimmy_D

5 million compensation......

Hark! Listen to that! That's the sound of a football club refusing to bend over and get shafted by another club!

Bye then Ron, it was fun while it lasted. Thanks for getting us to 6th.

Right looking forward to the new manager, as long as it's not Moyes we'll be fine

It's the sound of a club with ambition coming along and taking what it wants in order to progress, if we have to pay a premium for that then so be it, that's the cost of ambition.

Glad that's over.

On a side note, I've never in all my life known a set of fans sign up to another clubs main board to tell them just how big they are etc etc. It's really sad to see and it's reminiscent of a club that is firmly in the shadow of it's nearest rival, a rival that cares more about a team that play up the m62 than them.

Don't think we had one liverpool, Utd or Spurs fan join to tell how massive they were. As mad is it may sound, Everton fans seem worse than West Ham fans now. :lol:

I think if either is offered terms that are appealing to them they'll force a move. As I said, I think we'll have other targets but if they don't work out we might move for one or two of your lads. Haven't seen much of Ward-Prowse but he might also be of interest.

You failed to answer my question..

Can you name any example in football where a player has signed a 6 year contract extension (van Dijk & Ward-Prowse) or 5 year extension (Forster) in May and been sold the same summer?

Saints with those three are in a position where they can refuse a transfer, like we did with Schneiderlin & Wanyama and kept them. You also fail to release just how much any player Koeman would want of ours would cost. It would be huge amounts, that would quickly eat up his "£100m" budget. Perhaps why the Liverpool Echo is linking you with players of the quality of Scott Dann for £15m+.

Your condescending and patronising attitude is pathetic.

People said we'd lose players when Pochettino went to Spurs two years ago, they haven't signed any of our players since.

I'd guess Saints would have been keen to put in a clause in the agreement limiting Koeman from attempting from signing our players for a signicant period. Even if we didn't, any of the players he'd want would cost a huge amount or we'd outright refuse to sell.

I have seen nothing but condescension from Everton supporters. Ignoring the trolls that all teams have, I think that the rest really are not aware that they are being condescending, even if there is no malice involved. Hopefully they will all þugger off now that they have got their man.

Spent the weekend in Liverpool on a stag do recently. All friendly folk, but some of the most patronising / condescending football chat I've experienced.

It's the sound of a club with ambition coming along and taking what it wants in order to progress, if we have to pay a premium for that then so be it, that's the cost of ambition.

is £15m for Scott Dann the sign of 'ambition'?

amazing stuff

Remember Venky's at Blackburn? Vincent Tan at Cardiff? Tony Fernandes at QPR?

They all had loads of ambition...

Why not wait a while before you get too excited?

Blue in peace here lads.

Koeman will be confirmed tomorrow by all reliable accounts. Talks have been held up due to your end dragging their heels. It seems you were confident Ron would stay in spite of our interest and have spent the last few days approaching managerial targets and working out compensation terms, which is understandable given the narrative that Everton couldn't take Southampton's manager.

Preventing player poaching might not be a great concern for you. Granted, there are one or two that Koeman might want to take along, but the appointment of a DoF and the new owner's own targets mean it's unlikely you'll loose too many. I suppose your biggest concern could be Forster. It's unlikely we'll take VvD unless we sell Stones, which we'll only do if there's an offer significantly in excess of £40m.

Hopefully this won't sour relations between the two clubs too much in the future. I think it's natural that Koeman would want to take the next step and, like at Feyenoord, he will hopefully be remembered as doing great stabilising work with your club as you transition from feeder club to a solid PL outfit. Great progress, really, and your board should be commended.

Good luck on achieving your destiny as the northern Aston Villa.

So taking your manager isn't a sign of ambition ? lol, you've got no counter argument whatsoever to that.

Does anyone know what this magical 'ambition' actually is? What is the ambition of Everton? no one ever follows on from just saying 'ambition'. Is making the manager of the 6th placed team in the Premier League, the 6th highest paid manager in the world ambition? or just stupid?. A real big club would've gotten a real big club manager.

So taking your manager isn't a sign of ambition ? lol, you've got no counter argument whatsoever to that.

Well thank **** you've used up your 3 posts.

Ambition is rather sad if it is just how much money you can throw at things. If that is what you mean by ambition then good for you. I guess it is the way football has gone. Me, I want to grow the academy, see players come through from there. Sell some to fund other parts and do it that way. All I ever see is people trotting out "ambition" with reference to how much a club will spend on other club's developments. Hardly ambitious that, at least not in my eyes. It has become the excuse that players and managers use when they have acted like a ****, as if it absolves them from said ****ish behaviour.

But then me and football are nearing the end of the road. I love Saints, don't get me wrong, but I can't abide the monetary side of it and that is what will ultimately drive me away from the "game".

We could go and take Sam Allardyce for 7M... and then spend ages gloating about it. So no its not ambition its pretty tin-pot. So much so that I'm actually deeply suspicious you are Evertonian and more likely from the ****ehole down the road. You sound like someone who has lived in the shadow of your closest neighbour for years and after years of misery have to hold onto the slightest shred of a chance to make yourself feel less insecure. Actually yes I guess you could be either club...never really noticed the similarity before. You don't **** fish up there as well do you?

Edited by Mallagroth

N

We're a big club historically, I don't think that's in doubt. We have had two poor seasons in a row and, longer, gone almost thirty years without a league title. That's the reality, although one determined by poor owners. We now have an owner who identified Koeman as his preferred managerial appointment and quietly went ahead and got him in spite of many saying it wouldn't happen.

As you'll be aware from your recent history in the lowerthe leagues, things change. We at Everton honestly wish you all the best. No hostility intended at all.

A big club in the same way as Wolves Burnley Huddersfield etc are historically big clubs...

With the #Ambition of other, bigger, teams in the PL, I cannot see any likelihood of Everton finishing better than sixth next year. So this mega season of spending will likely see them as high as....err....us. (Potentially with no European football, again.)

I'm struggling to decide whether Ron is brave or cowardly.

Is he brave because he's risking a great reputation that he has recently built himself in order to take on a challenge of making a really ****, ageing squad better whereas if he had sat tight he may have had a big club calling, so his career really depends on how this job goes you'd imagine.

Or is he cowardly because he thinks he can't get us any higher than 6th and it'll be a lot easier to take the 12th place team higher up the table (even if only by a place or two) than it would be the 6th placed team, whereas taking us backwards may have made his stock lower. Interesting to see how it goes, but two things I do know after this affair is that Everton are really, really annoying, and that I hate Merseyside as a whole, not just Liverpool.

Exciting summer for us ahead though, under Poch we really never knew for sure where we would head, now we've been there before and we're a far more attractive proposition you'd like to think this time round it's going to be good fun.

Blue in peace here lads.

Koeman will be confirmed tomorrow by all reliable accounts. Talks have been held up due to your end dragging their heels. It seems you were confident Ron would stay in spite of our interest and have spent the last few days approaching managerial targets and working out compensation terms, which is understandable given the narrative that Everton couldn't take Southampton's manager.

Preventing player poaching might not be a great concern for you. Granted, there are one or two that Koeman might want to take along, but the appointment of a DoF and the new owner's own targets mean it's unlikely you'll loose too many. I suppose your biggest concern could be Forster. It's unlikely we'll take VvD unless we sell Stones, which we'll only do if there's an offer significantly in excess of £40m.

Hopefully this won't sour relations between the two clubs too much in the future. I think it's natural that Koeman would want to take the next step and, like at Feyenoord, he will hopefully be remembered as doing great stabilising work with your club as you transition from feeder club to a solid PL outfit. Great progress, really, and your board should be commended.

What a load of patronising rubbish. Personally I'm relieved now he's gone we can get on with replacing him. £5m compensation for a manager we may have had to sack is great business. Everton have been pretty mediocre of late and I wish them well. I think we may have dodged a bullet with one more season maybe being one too many.

Southampton is ridiculously stable with a multi billionaire owner, far richer than Moshiri, who with her father have proved to be superb owners. I think Promotion Div 1, Promotion Championship, 14th, 8th, 7th, 6th is pretty spectacular in successive seasons.

Most clubs including Saints are pretty rich now but too sensible to throw their money away. Everton may find it harder to use their cash effectively than they think. There are lots of clubs salivating at the possibility of unloading players they can do without and taking a share of their money. Saints are pretty good at getting maximum value for overpriced players and even better at replacing them. We have a number of Koeman favourites ourselves that I'm sure we can spare to allow Everton to improve their side for a lot more than they are worth. The players we value and want to keep won't be going to Everton. I'd sooner start from our position and strengthen than have to submit to major surgery and replace a major part of a mediocre underperforming team. Best of luck with that.

I am looking forward to the impetus we will get from bringing in a new manager and increasing the strength of our squad yet again.

Edited by derry

Well done Everton, for giving us such a lovely lump of money for a manager that cost us nothing, and who has his limitations. Don't get me wrong, I quite liked Koeman as a bloke, more likeable than Pochettino, and he is better than some managers out there, but nowhere near the managerial nous of someone like Pochettino, Klopp etc. He has an eye for a player though, although some of that can be accredited to our 'black box'. Which isn't going anywhere! Enjoy all this delusion that your new money will suddenly make you world beaters. It won't. You might do better than last season, but as you can see from the picking of Leicester players by the "big boys", any success you do get and they come for your players. Koeman himself won't be with you long, he's after bigger and better things.

Weirdly I'm not depressed that he's going. If anything the only reason I'd rather he'd have stayed is that we'd have maintained the status quo and had a quiet summer. Well now he's proved he's a money grabber, I'm quite glad to be seeing the back of him. Let us appoint someone that wants to be here, and can see that we're a well maintained club with decent facilities and good players, with the prospect of European football ahead of us. For me, de Boer is a decent fit. Decent managerial credentials at Ajax, fairly young, a name in the game to attract players, and wants to manage in the Premier League. Oh, and as he's out of work, he'd cost us nothing. But whoever we appoint will be welcomed, and I have confidence in the club to pick the right man.

We have our bumps every summer, we have had for over a decade, and yet we keep coming back from them over and over again. Two of our key players just signed long term contracts, and the players that were at times disgruntled playing under Koeman now have a new lease of life. The likes of Liverpool, Spurs and now Everton can keep throwing money at us, but they'll never get our club. I'm excited now for the rest of the summer. My one and only wish now from Reed, Krueger and Kat is they don't procrastinate when appointing the new manager. Get him in ASAP and we can plan for the future.

Those of us of a certain age will remember Alan Ball (RIP) going to Man City (pre huge investment). Very similar to RK if you ask me

In the sense of disappointment, or possibly being ushered to the door ?

Liverpool stealing a load of players from the eight place team in the division was not ambition..it took them to 8th place surprisingly enough.

Taking a manager from the sixth best team isn't ambition unless your ambition is to finish sixth?

Liverpool getting Klopp is ambition...Man city getting pep that's ambition...Man Utd get Jose that's ambition! (Sorry is that still a sore point as he really wanted to be Everton manager but you choose RK instead? )

Happy days and good riddance - onwards and upwards

Here is a new twist, supposing we are actually wanting him to leave? With the Dutch wanting a decent manager going in to the next World cup it was a possibility that he would go at some stage. So as my late father would say 'everything is for sale at the right price', so SFC decided somehow to cash in on RK before he reaches his sell by date. It is probably better he goes now than mid-season when the choice of replacements and the opportunity for pre-season are gone. All we trust is that a replacement is not far behind.

So onwards and upwards!

You are so naive. You should learn the lesson from your neighbour. It is not about taking one manager or a few players. You will still be below us even after you have taken whole of our team.

Funny, if Manchester City weren't in the CL semis and played their strongest team at St Mary's, where they would have likely beaten us, and say, we had dropped another one point and finished in 8th place, with no Europe... Would Koeman still be here- most probably.

I'm looking forward to the new chapter if anything now, this is modern football.

In the sense of disappointment, or possibly being ushered to the door ?

With Alan Ball I felt Initial disappointment, then pleased when it all went tits up for him, then later sadness that such a great player made such poor decisions as a manager.

I think RK is following the same path

Now he's F****d off i can tell you that the reason for our slump before xmas was that Koeman took the opportunity (no cup games) to book a holiday and sack off training. In fact he constantly sacked off training to go and play golf in Portugal whenever he could. He gave the players that time off as well. The staff raised an eyebrow and were not v happy with that kind of discipline. Poch would have had them doing triple sessions and remaining focused in our most important fixture pile up. No wonder he left when we got European football...lacks ambition

Love it if true... so i've chosen to believe it as gospel. :lol:

I do not believe I was arguing, I don't really care to be honest.

Managers and players come and go, Majority of Southampton supporters would have expected this to happen at the end of next season its just come a season earlier.

If clubs do not want our manager and players then we are doing something wrong

And I would also suggest most Saints fans don't care about Everton's "ambition".

Enjoy the new manager but how about you just enjoy it with like minded Everton fans?

Edited by saints1988

Now he's F****d off i can tell you that the reason for our slump before xmas was that Koeman took the opportunity (no cup games) to book a holiday and sack off training. In fact he constantly sacked off training to go and play golf in Portugal whenever he could. He gave the players that time off as well. The staff raised an eyebrow and were not v happy with that kind of discipline. Poch would have had them doing triple sessions and remaining focused in our most important fixture pile up. No wonder he left when we got European football...lacks ambition

Interesting.

Is this a genuine ITK snippet?

Blue in peace here lads.

Saints fan in peace here....

It must feel good entering your new, exciting chapter where you may finally step out of the shadow of your neighbours and all their global fame. To get a manager of Ron's class is a major coup for a club at your level, perhaps as it was for us, and it is a major disappointment that he's gone. Granted you had a really good team about 30 years ago but I guess the financial temptation was clearly too great, it is a widely known fact that he wouldn't have gone otherwise. I must say I admire the way your new owner skillfully offered £7m for his services, there aren't many with that much guile so I can only imagine what else he will buy you.

For a 'big' club you've been distinctly average and non-descript for so long this must feel completely exhilarating.

LOL at you believing we'll be interested in Dann, let alone for £15m.

Anyhow no hard feelings aye? All the best for the upcoming season.

You can recruit our manager, possibly even sign a couple of our players.

Not much consolation for having to go through life with an accent like the majority of your fans though.

Ta-ra .

Liverpool stealing a load of players from the eight place team in the division was not ambition..it took them to 8th place surprisingly enough.

Taking a manager from the sixth best team isn't ambition unless your ambition is to finish sixth?

Liverpool getting Klopp is ambition...Man city getting pep that's ambition...Man Utd get Jose that's ambition! (Sorry is that still a sore point as he really wanted to be Everton manager but you choose RK instead? )

I like this

LOVE this!