• Leave Before - Leave Now
    • Leave Before - Remain Now
    • Leave Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Remain Before - Remain Now
    • Remain Before - Leave Now
    • Remain Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Leave Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Remain Now
    • I've never been bothered - Why am I on this Thread?
    • No second Ref - 2016 was Definitive and Binding

55 minutes ago, ecuk268 said:

Had to get up early this morning and was listening to Farming Today.

They were speaking with pig farmer has about 3000 pigs. He would like send 300 of them for slaughter but can't because the meat processing company can't take them because most of their workers have gone back home to the EU. Overall he reckons that there are about 100000 pigs waiting for processing.

He's running out of space and the only solution is to slaughter them on the farm. It's illegal for him to do it and he can't find a vet to do it.

He must be imagining it because Boris said that there wasn't a problem in pig farming. 

Sadly it's another industry that has relied heavily on the exploitation of foreign workers for minimum wage to keep our sausages cheap.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/sep/28/the-whole-system-is-rotten-life-inside-europes-meat-industry

It shouldn't come as any surprise that the industry has a shortage of workers, the British Meat Processors Association even highlighted what the issues would be post Brexit :

https://britishmeatindustry.org/industry/workforce/

Another factor affecting the industry’s ability to attract workers is the ready availability of other jobs in places like Amazon warehouses that can offer a similar wage but with less challenging working conditions.

It is a dilemma that is currently being mitigated by the ability of the industry to employ migrant workers. However, after Brexit, the ability to fill roles may be seriously compromised resulting in lower production, reduced competitiveness and higher prices for the UK consumer.

The whole industry looks like it was way too greedy to put in place an effective strategy to mitigate the fact that it would not be able to attract new foreign labour after Brexit, probably driven by the big supermarkets wanting to keep the prices down.

In farming parlance, you reap what you sow.

1 hour ago, Weston Super Saint said:

But when the Remain camp warned of labour shortages they were accused of scare-mongering. Now they're being criticised for not preparing for something that they were told would not happen.

Edited by ecuk268
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Sadly it's another industry that has relied heavily on the exploitation of foreign workers for minimum wage to keep our sausages cheap.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/sep/28/the-whole-system-is-rotten-life-inside-europes-meat-industry

It shouldn't come as any surprise that the industry has a shortage of workers, the British Meat Processors Association even highlighted what the issues would be post Brexit :

The whole industry looks like it was way too greedy to put in place an effective strategy to mitigate the fact that it would not be able to attract new foreign labour after Brexit, probably driven by the big supermarkets wanting to keep the prices down.

Boris showed his true colours over this. He has done a lot of damage to the Boris brand

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ecuk268 said:

But when the Remain camp warned of labour shortages they were accused of scare-mongering. Now they're being criticised for not preparing for something that they were told would not happen.

Some of the 'leave' camp also felt that restricting the movement of labour was also not a great idea, but accepted that Brexit was a full package and that there was no chance of cherry picking what stayed and didn't.

A mate of mine runs a large decorating business that had a lot  of Eastern European’s working for him as well as some English guys and a couple of sweaties.  He paid them roughly £150 a day and they worked all the hours god sent. A mixture of Covid & Brexit meant a lot went home and don’t look like coming back. The remaining blokes are now getting over £200 a day and being poached by other firms, and he’s had to enter a bidding war to get more blokes to come onboard. He reckons by the end of the year he’ll have to pay at least £250 a day just to fulfil his current work schedule. Is that good or bad? I guess Brexiters will say good (the workers earn more money), Remainers will say bad (he could go bust or have to delay completion of some work). I can see both sides of the argument , so I  guess it just shows that it’s not as black and white as picking winners and losers. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

A mate of mine runs a large decorating business that had a lot  of Eastern European’s working for him as well as some English guys and a couple of sweaties.  He paid them roughly £150 a day and they worked all the hours god sent. A mixture of Covid & Brexit meant a lot went home and don’t look like coming back. The remaining blokes are now getting over £200 a day and being poached by other firms, and he’s had to enter a bidding war to get more blokes to come onboard. He reckons by the end of the year he’ll have to pay at least £250 a day just to fulfil his current work schedule. Is that good or bad? I guess Brexiters will say good (the workers earn more money), Remainers will say bad (he could go bust or have to delay completion of some work). I can see both sides of the argument , so I  guess it just shows that it’s not as black and white as picking winners and losers. 

Presumably he'll put his prices up which will fuel inflation.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

The food industry is completely driven by the supermarkets keeping prices down, Tescos and Lidl and all, say to the food producer we will give you x amount for your sausages, potatos, milk, whatever and they have to like it or lump it. They then need to keep the labour costs down to make it work. I'm sure there are the odd greedy tory farmer taking advantage, but most need the cheaper labour to make it work or they go under.

As a country we are addicted to cheap food and cheap foreign goods because our housing costs are too high and our economy needs us to spend so much on other stuff, like phones, tv, broadband, gyms, streaming services. They've got to keep the ponzi scheme going, but really it all needs rebalancing again.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

The food industry is completely driven by the supermarkets keeping prices down, Tescos and Lidl and all, say to the food producer we will give you x amount for your sausages, potatos, milk, whatever and they have to like it or lump it. They then need to keep the labour costs down to make it work. I'm sure there are the odd greedy tory farmer taking advantage, but most need the cheaper labour to make it work or they go under.

As a country we are addicted to cheap food and cheap foreign goods because our housing costs are too high and our economy needs us to spend so much on other stuff, like phones, tv, broadband, gyms, streaming services. They've got to keep the ponzi scheme going, but really it all needs rebalancing again.

Housing is the real killer of living standards. Our housing stock is mostly cramped, low quality, energy inefficient and outdated. There is no real reason , apart from profiteering based on planning permission that you can’t build a good quality spacious house that currently costs £500k for only only £200k

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Fan The Flames said:

....and those supermarkets will source far more meat products from Denmark or France or Poland to cover volumes if the price of UK products is at a premium.

They'll use British when they can charge consumers a premium for it, but it will be a volume drain from farmers and processors who will just lose out to EU competitors, whose products continue to be waved through our borders far more easily than British producers can move stuff out other way.

Lose/lose.

But it didn’t take long for the mugs to hoover up the "it's all their own fault" narrative, so well done Boris. You reap what you sow indeed.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Fan The Flames said:

Rebalancing is the key.  Our supply chains are too large and too complicated.  We have far too much 'stuff' on the shelves of supermarkets that we really don't need (43 different types of pasta & 109 types of rice on the Morrisons website this morning).

Supply chains will adapt, innovate and overcome, but choices will reduce which won't be such a bad thing.  'Service' options will reduce as well with the onus moving more and more to the customer which will save on staff costs to protect profit lines, so the big supermarkets will be fine.  

Farming will still be affected, but has always been at the behest of supply and demand price variations.  We'll see more and more technological innovations in this sector which will massively increase yields and ultimately profitability, but this will probably end up with large scale farms being owned by big corporations squeezing out the 'family run' businesses. 

12 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Its mixed good and bad. What is wholly bad is that successive governments have taken no action to address long standing skills shortages in industries like building and that governments since the referendum have taken no steps to deal with totally forseeable problems associated with ending freedom of movement and the loss of that cheap labour.

It was obvious we needed some kind of 20 year plan of phased changes. But as we all know - that was well beyond Boris, Vote Leave and the ERG. What we got was crowd pleasing populist crap and empty assurances.

The consequences of Brexit were always going to be mostly negative, but that doesn't mean the positives couldn't have been maximised and the negatives mitigated. Just do it - it will all work out fine - maybe, had never been a form of government until now.  It was, and is, negligent and reckless and most worrying of all long term in terms of both influence and trade. Despite what befuddled GM says the City has already lost top spot to New York and is only just hovering above dropping down to 4th. Brexit has cut a vein.                

Edited by buctootim
  • Like 6

11 hours ago, buctootim said:

Housing is the real killer of living standards. Our housing stock is mostly cramped, low quality, energy inefficient and outdated. There is no real reason , apart from profiteering based on planning permission that you can’t build a good quality spacious house that currently costs £500k for only only £200k

Cost of land is the problem.

19 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Cost of land is the problem.

That was my point. Agricultural land is c£4-10,000 per acre, enough for 8 good sized houses. Land with planning permission can be well over £2m million per acre - £250,000 per house. There are a number of mechanism by which farmers could get, say, double what their land is worth as farmland without somebody, usually land banks, gaining millions from the process of a council authorising house building.   

Edited by buctootim
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Rebalancing is the key.  Our supply chains are too large and too complicated.  We have far too much 'stuff' on the shelves of supermarkets that we really don't need (43 different types of pasta & 109 types of rice on the Morrisons website this morning).

Supply chains will adapt, innovate and overcome, but choices will reduce which won't be such a bad thing.  'Service' options will reduce as well with the onus moving more and more to the customer which will save on staff costs to protect profit lines, so the big supermarkets will be fine.  

Farming will still be affected, but has always been at the behest of supply and demand price variations.  We'll see more and more technological innovations in this sector which will massively increase yields and ultimately profitability, but this will probably end up with large scale farms being owned by big corporations squeezing out the 'family run' businesses. 

I mean rebalancing in a big way. I don't know what but house prices need to be cut, owning numerous homes banned or severe rent controls, the country to own all the land. Something, so we can then pay the true cost of food and for decent goods that have a far longer lifespan. People then can get a decent wage and we can put less chinese shit into landfill.

None of this will happen, democracy can only fiddle at the edges.

• Like 2

As someone who has become something of a Brexit agnostic over the last few years I am still a little puzzled a to when the 'sunlit upland' of a high skill economy and the unicorn of a 'high wage economy' was first proposed as a key Brexit win for the UK. Or are the Tories just making it all up as they go along to cover up their incompetence and poor governance. Also leaving the EU is one thing which I'm sure in time we will either get used to or put up with, but I do struggle with the  barely concealed hostility to anything European as portrayed by the government and most of its supporting media. I suppose the rhetoric has been maintained to keep certain elements of the Tory party in check, but were hardly on a war footing with the EU, are we?

• Like 2

If Labour had any bollocks they would have voted against the Brexit Bill and now could be challenging the current incompetents. There are enough Brexit voters now realising their folly. Fickle voters will soon turn on a party when they think they have been conned by their condescending masters. But alas have to keep quiet about Brexit shitness.

1 hour ago, Winnersaint said:

As someone who has become something of a Brexit agnostic over the last few years I am still a little puzzled a to when the 'sunlit upland' of a high skill economy and the unicorn of a 'high wage economy' was first proposed as a key Brexit win for the UK. Or are the Tories just making it all up as they go along to cover up their incompetence and poor governance. Also leaving the EU is one thing which I'm sure in time we will either get used to or put up with, but I do struggle with the  barely concealed hostility to anything European as portrayed by the government and most of its supporting media. I suppose the rhetoric has been maintained to keep certain elements of the Tory party in check, but were hardly on a war footing with the EU, are we?

Yep the latest 3-word bollocks being bandied ‘high wage economy’. Are they banking on voters too thick to see through it -wages go up and lose it to tax rises (that they promised never to increase)and everything going up in price. You really didn’t ever want cheap stuff did you?

• Like 1

Saw Jonathon Pie on Saturday at the Lowry. He couldn’t even find the humour in Brexit.

Its a sad state of affairs what this country has come to. 

The brexiters must be so happy with how this has all turned out. Its what they all wanted but don’t see many of them crowing about it.

Edited by Warriorsaint

31 minutes ago, Warriorsaint said:

Saw Jonathon Pie on Saturday at the Lowry. He couldn’t even find the humour in Brexit.

Its a sad state of affairs what this country has come to. 

The brexiters must be so happy with how this has all turned out. Its what they all wanted but don’t see many of them crowing about it.

believe what you want.. i blame the pandemic plus companys neglecting the future by chasing quick profits instead of thinking for the future eg recruiting and training new hgv drivers for over 20 years........

2 hours ago, Mosin said:

believe what you want.. i blame the pandemic plus companys neglecting the future by chasing quick profits instead of thinking for the future eg recruiting and training new hgv drivers for over 20 years........

Profits? There are precious few of those around. What should any company do except try to make a profit? You have a funny idea about business and businesses.

17 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Profits? There are precious few of those around. What should any company do except try to make a profit? You have a funny idea about business and businesses.

2 hours ago, Mosin said:

I wonder if you have any idea how thin the profit margins are which most companies have to work on?

They are generally very low, especially if companies are working for the big supermarket and other consumer related trades.

There used to be quite a number of small, often family owned haulage companies, who could make a living using second hand trucks and not giving too much notice o  compliance etc etc..

Up until the recent issues haulage companies could not justify giving large increases to drivers as the additional cost could not be recovered from the end user.

And, of course, there were very few younger people coming into the haulage business which is predominantly white, middle aged, with an occasional sprinkling of women but very few (if any) drivers from ethnic backgrounds.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, spyinthesky said:

I wonder if you have any idea how thin the profit margins are which most companies have to work on?

They are generally very low, especially if companies are working for the big supermarket and other consumer related trades.

There used to be quite a number of small, often family owned haulage companies, who could make a living using second hand trucks and not giving too much notice o  compliance etc etc..

Up until the recent issues haulage companies could not justify giving large increases to drivers as the additional cost could not be recovered from the end user.

And, of course, there were very few younger people coming into the haulage business which is predominantly white, middle aged, with an occasional sprinkling of women but very few (if any) drivers from ethnic backgrounds.

the driver shortage is because no company wanted to invested in any new drivers, giving out 0 apprentiships for over 20 years, dropping wages lower and lower. employing people from the far reaches of europe who took smaller wages driving down wages even more. more and more drivers leave to new jobs as wages srink more and more, work conditions getting worst and worst, chances for new drivers shrinking and shrinking, funny enough, it started when freedom of movement started, now wages in the east europe have come up and europe pays more than the UK, no one wants to work here, but you keep telling your self its because of brexit.

cassue we all know, if poland are 120 k + short, germany are 40 k plus short and expected to be 180 k short in just 5 more years, and france  are short and so on and so on, one can clearly see it is not brexit that has caused the world to have a driver shortage, and to think any one from europe is going to come for less wages than is on offer in the mainland is just being silly...

3 hours ago, Mosin said:

So it's not Brexit's fault, is business fault for wanting profits. Brilliant!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Are you allowed to comment on Brexit if you didn't muster enough courage to vote? (in the same way you can't comment on a police force if you don't live in their catchment area).

It takes courage to vote?

Where do you live, Baghdad :lol:

Edited by aintforever

46 minutes ago, Mosin said:

the driver shortage is because no company wanted to invested in any new drivers, giving out 0 apprentiships for over 20 years, dropping wages lower and lower. employing people from the far reaches of europe who took smaller wages driving down wages even more. more and more drivers leave to new jobs as wages srink more and more, work conditions getting worst and worst, chances for new drivers shrinking and shrinking, funny enough, it started when freedom of movement started, now wages in the east europe have come up and europe pays more than the UK, no one wants to work here, but you keep telling your self its because of brexit.

cassue we all know, if poland are 120 k + short, germany are 40 k plus short and expected to be 180 k short in just 5 more years, and france  are short and so on and so on, one can clearly see it is not brexit that has caused the world to have a driver shortage, and to think any one from europe is going to come for less wages than is on offer in the mainland is just being silly...

You have demonstrated again that you know nothing about business. What you choose to  call investment is just another overhead. An investment has to be repaid in extra income and that extra income has to more than ofset the outlay.

Did I say it was because of Brexit? 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

You have demonstrated again that you know nothing about business. What you choose to  call investment is just another overhead. An investment has to be repaid in extra income and that extra income has to more than ofset the outlay.

Did I say it was because of Brexit? 

so the best busines model for say tesco, parcel force and dhl and co is to never train any new hgv drivers even though they need them cause it might cut into tescos 2 billion + profits and dhls and so on............
so making sure your company has workers for its self is bad busines? am i getting this right, making sure your staff can do the job required is bad busines......... you do know 10 - 15 years ago tesco and co all did in house training for hgv drivers right?.

8 minutes ago, Mosin said:

so the best busines model for say tesco, parcel force and dhl and co is to never train any new hgv drivers even though they need them cause it might cut into tescos 2 billion + profits and dhls and so on............
so making sure your company has workers for its self is bad busines? am i getting this right, making sure your staff can do the job required is bad busines......... you do know 10 - 15 years ago tesco and co all did in house training for hgv drivers right?.

I was tempted to use the same sort of phrasing as you but the HGV industry in the UK is far, far more than just the big companies such as Tesco and the other large operators.  These companies will of curse make sure that they have sufficient drivers wherever possible. So do I take it that you are now saying that these companies have made an investment in new drivers?

I suggest that you take some time and research the HGV business and see how many registered drivers there are now and why there are many fewer now than there once were. It takes up to £5000 to train as an HGV driver and if you don't pass your test thne there is another big lump on top of that. For a small haulage operator to finance a potential employee to that amount without guarantee of reimbursement is money that is in scarce supply. Self-employment is another big factor in that many companies don't have full-time paid employess on their books for obvous reasons.

Another factor is that the DVLA has fallen short of providing over 40,000 tests during the pandemic so even if you wanted to become a licensed driver you were up against it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mosin said:

Apropos nothing of course, but listening to people trying to justify the many downsides of Brexit makes them sound like someone trying to convince an A&E doctor that there's a perfectly good reason for their cock to be stuck in a hoover.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

56 minutes ago, Verbal said:

Apropos nothing of course, but listening to people trying to justify the many downsides of Brexit makes them sound like someone trying to convince an A&E doctor that there's a perfectly good reason for their cock to be stuck in a hoover.

When I worked at a hospital in London we had a guy in with two dead hamsters stuck up up his ass. Claimed to not know how they got there. 

• Like 1

Feel free to take your own conclusion from this comment by Dominic Cummins concerning the NI Protocol;

"What I've said does NOT mean 'the PM was lying in General Election 2019', he never had a scoobydoo what the deal he signed meant.

"He never understood what leaving Customs Union meant until November 2020."

When the prime minister did finally comprehend, said Mr Cummings, "he was babbling 'I'd never have signed it if I'd understood it' (but that WAS a lie)".

4 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Feel free to take your own conclusion from this comment by Dominic Cummins concerning the NI Protocol;

"What I've said does NOT mean 'the PM was lying in General Election 2019', he never had a scoobydoo what the deal he signed meant.

"He never understood what leaving Customs Union meant until November 2020."

When the prime minister did finally comprehend, said Mr Cummings, "he was babbling 'I'd never have signed it if I'd understood it' (but that WAS a lie)".

Lover scourned?

1 hour ago, badgerx16 said:

Feel free to take your own conclusion from this comment by Dominic Cummins

My take.... either Cummings was a rubbish advisor or he's lying. (I believe he has a track record of both?)

Edited by trousers

On 12/10/2021 at 13:36, Warriorsaint said:

Brexit going great eh?

It's all going rather well:

Pre-Brexit: An article from Express.co.uk, published on March 21, 2017, reads: “Idea that farming will collapse after Brexit is absurd.”

Post-Brexit: Another headline from Express.co.uk published on June 22, 2021, reads: “Farming disaster: Brexiteer admits many farmers will go out of business due to EU exit.”

Pre-Brexit: An Express.co.uk headline from 2016 read: “More reason to leave: Brexit Britain to take back control of its fishing waters.”

Post-Brexit: An Express.co.uk headline from March 2021 reads: “We didn’t vote for this! Fishing collapse as UK firms go bust and exporters flee to EU.”

Pre-Brexit: An Express.co.uk headline from October 2016 reads: “Cheaper food after EU exit: Consumer boost as experts now say that prices will come down.”

Post-Brexit: Another Express.co.uk headline from March 2021 reads: “Food shop alert as your supermarket bill set to soar due to EU red tape.”

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ecuk268 said:

It's all going rather well:

Pre-Brexit: An article from Express.co.uk, published on March 21, 2017, reads: “Idea that farming will collapse after Brexit is absurd.”

Post-Brexit: Another headline from Express.co.uk published on June 22, 2021, reads: “Farming disaster: Brexiteer admits many farmers will go out of business due to EU exit.”

Pre-Brexit: An Express.co.uk headline from 2016 read: “More reason to leave: Brexit Britain to take back control of its fishing waters.”

Post-Brexit: An Express.co.uk headline from March 2021 reads: “We didn’t vote for this! Fishing collapse as UK firms go bust and exporters flee to EU.”

Pre-Brexit: An Express.co.uk headline from October 2016 reads: “Cheaper food after EU exit: Consumer boost as experts now say that prices will come down.”

Post-Brexit: Another Express.co.uk headline from March 2021 reads: “Food shop alert as your supermarket bill set to soar due to EU red tape.”

I wonder if Brexiteers are still so gullible as to believe the Brexit crap.

Edited by Tamesaint

11 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

Problem is it's too late, and the schadenfreude of 'We told you so" is a bit hollow as we are all suffering the consequences.

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 2

Seems to be causing quite a lot of issues over in France.  Who knew that an industry that was reportedly worth the square root of fuck all and contributed next to nothing to our economy could be used for political agendas and point scoring?

Not sure what all the fuss is about really, after all, haven't we been told that fish, you know, swim?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-58894876

14 hours ago, Tamesaint said:

Not moralising as I am guilty as charged on here and other social media in the past. Do references to Brexiteer gullibility and 'Brexit crap help to improve things? Do we need to move on from what is effectively a slanging match across the divide. Out there are people who for many years had the square root of 'sod all'. Local economies hollowed out, opportunity restricted, aspiration quashed. Faced with that for many years the opportunity to reject the status-quo at the ballot box seems perversely logical given that populism tends to rely on the emotive  rather than what is factual, logical and rational. Should those of us who voted remain better understand what we experience and what information is tailored towards us is very different that which the 'other side' experience?

Edited by Winnersaint