More New Contracts?

Katalinic

Sorry but that is the equivalent of sayiing that because you got five heads in five tosses that the next is most likely to be tails. The chance is still only 50:50

The chance of 6 consecutive heads is something like 1.56%... not the first strategy I'd approach.

Fortunately there is rather more to it than tossing a coin.

;)

Batman has a point. It would be unacceptable to sell those players and not reinvest to strengthen and improve the first team and squad. The team is currently weaker, that is what Batman is getting at I think.

What, that is the bedwetter's mantra! Surely not Bats.

The chance of 6 consecutive heads is something like 1.56%... not the first strategy I'd approach.

Fortunately there is rather more to it than tossing a coin.

;)

The chances of 5 heads and a tail is exactly the same

The chances of 5 heads and a tail is exactly the same

Only if you mean to keep it in the order written (which is not implied by what you said).

"The chances of 5 heads and THEN a tail is exactly the same."

Otherwise there is 6 times as much chance.

Only if you mean to keep it in the order written (which is not implied by what you said).

"The chances of 5 heads and THEN a tail is exactly the same."

Otherwise there is 6 times as much chance.

Yes but we have had the 5 heads already so it is the same.

Think this is a case of gamblers fallacy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gambler%27s_fallacy

p.s. Sorry to be a nerd but found it quite interesting.

Gambler's fallacy is that if a coin came up heads 5 times in a row that it would be more likely to come up heads next. If you have pre-described what will happen - that it will be 5 heads then a tail you can work out the probability as the events haven't happened yet.

The same thing happens with roulette and other table games - people sit down waiting for loads of of 1 thing and then get convinced it happens in patterns. Then they normally apply a martingale strategy - basically they wait for 5 reds before betting black and doubling when they lose as 'it can't come up red 10 times in a row or whatever is required to bankrupt them' and then they make a small amount of money till eventually they lose everything.

lots of morons out there.

To be fair, you don't know it hasn't happened! Club maybe preparing a big announcement behind scenes! Big opportunity for our club with our Captain winning Euro's, big PR opportunity I would say

Exactly this!! OUR captain Euro winner commits rest of career to Southampton FC. Very rare headline!! I'm sure our excellent media department are all over this!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly this!! OUR captain Euro winner commits rest of career to Southampton FC. Very rare headline!! I'm sure our excellent media department are all over this!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wouldn't be surprised if it's ready for the Programme on the opening day of the season or maybe for this Sunday.

I've long through that if probably was effectively taught as its own subject in schools, the gambling industry would collapse.

Not so sure - people deceive themselves about a lot of things in their day to day lives - so i see no reason gambling would be different.

In the states most people have a certain % of their salary they are happy to lose gambling for fun - which certainly would be the case for people in the UK too. Chopra etc.

Gambler's fallacy is that if a coin came up heads 5 times in a row that it would be more likely to come up heads next. If you have pre-described what will happen - that it will be 5 heads then a tail you can work out the probability as the events haven't happened yet.

The same thing happens with roulette and other table games - people sit down waiting for loads of of 1 thing and then get convinced it happens in patterns. Then they normally apply a martingale strategy - basically they wait for 5 reds before betting black and doubling when they lose as 'it can't come up red 10 times in a row or whatever is required to bankrupt them' and then they make a small amount of money till eventually they lose everything.

lots of morons out there.

Tails actually. You're describing reverse fallacy. (not that it matters, point is the same)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gambler%27s_fallacy#Reverse_fallacy

There is actually some logic to the Reverse Fallacy in a Bayesian world. You would say "I don't know what the true probability is [nobody does] but my starting assumption is it's 50%/50%". You would then keep track of actual observations to update that prior assumption until you fine tune it around the (hopefully) "true" answer. A string of heads in a row would then lead you to think that there was greater than 50% probability of heads.

I guess the problem is people are making that calculation but placing too much importance on the observation when it's not truly statistically significant. Not enough samples are observed or they have cherry-picked only the "interesting" sequences.

What the **** does that mean?

Explaining gambling is a mugs game would mean the kids would never gamble.

So flawed though. Like the retired army major in Surrey not understanding how any fool could get addicted to heroin as no basic understanding of psyches and fulfilment.

There is far more to it than statistically thinking you will win.

Best way to describe gambling is 'an exciting way to become depressed'

As a genuine ITK I can vouch for essruu as he must have the same source as me as I was told this was being signed late last night.

New club policy .... take player out for a drink, spike his drink, get him completely trollied, get a few compromising photos and ask him to sign on the dotted line?

They tried the same with Clyne but Boots took 2 years to process the photos .... :lol: