More New Contracts?

Katalinic

anyone think this leak means 1 of the 3 mentioned is actually on the way out?

I do. Generally I kowtow to the current board but not confident when renewals are trailled/leaked like this. Announce it when it's done, which is what we did with VVD and Shane and JWP and Forster. We've either done it or we haven't, I don't need hints.

There's a "look, we tried" air to this stuff.

Tadic is definitely being renewed.

Be a few announcements both in and out.

Not sure there is really anything new in this statement......I think most would expect Tadic to stay and sign an improved contract, especially now RK has gone!

We all know we need probably a minimum of 3 signings.....even Puel has hinted at that!

After a week in Holland i'm sure Puel now knows who is not up to it and will be loaned out....or possibly moved on.

Fonte being sold???.....the only way i can see this happening is if we have had a silly bid and he really wants the move that will secure his and his families future.

Contract extensions usually offered up as the great cure-all by the assorted geniuses on this forum...why didn't we tie him down earlier...why didn't we offer 5 years/6 years/infinity...why didn't we extend last summer.....why do we let them run down etc etc....

Will be interesting if we have an agreement, formal or otherwise but part of his last renewal with Fonte that gets him out of the door quickly if an offer triggers it. It may be the the much vaunted tie-down really is worth diddly.

He's still going on the forum banner, right guys?

that is not the point I am making

just saying it is a new age when giving players who have signed in the last 12 months new deals is seen as 'ambition'

neither of them are within the last year of their current deals like those you mention....any of them would be sold if we got a mane type of offer.

good news, yes. Ambition. err, no

Can you tell me what ambition to you is? Spending more money?

Saying 'because redmond replaced mane' is also bollo*ks.

If Redmond was foreign none of us would be saying it. Yes granted atm squad is weaker but why not wait until 1st Sep.

When contract offers and talks are leaked to the media it usually means that someone is probably off. So I can see one of these leaving.

PR spin from the club to say to the fans ' we tried to keep him honest' we offered a new or improved contract.

No one knew about Long,Bertrand and the other recent contract renewals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd saying buying proven quality and not just good potential.

That is at least an answer, but I am not convinced it is realistic. What proven quality can we buy that would actually improve our squad given that we cannot win a bidding war with the richer clubs either in terms of transfer fees or player salaries. For that matter, I am not even sure that it is possible to reliably identify proven quality in a way that makes it a good buy when compared to good potential. I suspect that Austin is the closest we can come to buying proven quality.

http://metro.co.uk/2016/07/31/manchester-united-weighing-up-transfer-move-for-jose-fonte-6040739/

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/1531887/everton-boss-ronald-koeman-wants-to-reunite-with-jose-fonte-but-manchester-united-are-also-interested/

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2016/07/31/report-mourinho-considers-raid-for-southampton-star-jose-fonte-a/

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/manchester-united-transfer-target-jose-8535608#1dXqFCfGrVK0Rbzq.97

The only one that quotes a price is 9m offered by Everton. That seems too low to be worth accepting. It would make more sense to let the contract run out and keep him for two more years. Also, I am not sure what benefit it is to Fonte to skip Europe to play for Everton this year.

On the other hand, crazy Manchester United money might be worth accepting. Fonte would get a big raise and we would get more than enough money to replace him. Of course, there is a big risk in losing the defensive leader, but he was the leader under Koeman who is gone. Given his age, we have probably seen the best of Fonte (and Puel has not really seen anything of Fonte) so if we want to sell him for good money now is the time. He would sell for virtually nothing next year. Who knows, maybe VVD is lined up to be the new captain already.

That's his instagram, which is still up with plenty of saints pictures on (luckily!)

Okay .... I'm an absolute twonk when it comes to things computer literate so bear with me!!

I don't have an Instagram Account. Does Instagram contain messages or just photos? Would I see messages on Twitter from him even though I don't have an Instagram Account?

Somebody else may have to answer before his 3 posts limit is reached!!

I do. Generally I kowtow to the current board but not confident when renewals are trailled/leaked like this. Announce it when it's done, which is what we did with VVD and Shane and JWP and Forster. We've either done it or we haven't, I don't need hints.

There's a "look, we tried" air to this stuff.

That was my first thoughts, and think earlier poster on this thread said something similar.

The ones where the contract extensions went smoothly were all hush hush and announced to much fanfare and pen signing, whereas these 3 have been leaked (similar to Clyne, Wanyama etc).

If there is a commonality in the method, then reckon one or two may be off!

Fonte is not going.

He is a family man, a settled situation, a son happy in a local school, and a wife and younger child happy at home.

He can't really believe the 'luck' that has come his way so late in his career, and he is more than content with his life here in Wiltshire, ( and work life in Hampshire).

He has a career available to him at Staplewood when he hangs his boots up.

Of course money changes everything, but, Money ISN'T everything.

Fonte is not going.

He is a family man, a settled situation, a son happy in a local school, and a wife and younger child happy at home.

He can't really believe the 'luck' that has come his way so late in his career, and he is more than content with his life here in Wiltshire, ( and work life in Hampshire).

I sincerely hope you are right.

I believe he is truly happy here, but the temptation to secure his families future will be great.

He would go up even further in my extremely high estimation of him if he stays, but I wouldn't begrudge him a move to Man U if he chose it.

But Everton would be a completely different kettle of fish!!

Definitely 1 or more of them going with us leaking contracts. Instead of Fonte, could it be Cedric? We've apparently been in the market for a new RB this past month..

Tadic has been interviewed on the youtube channel so won't be him.

I was expecting a Fonte interview to congratulate him on the euro's but there's been no mention of him from the club so he might be out too.

Fonte is not going.

.... not to mention he's just won the biggest prize available in European football

.... not to mention he's just won the biggest prize available in European football

That only netted him 250k in bonuses. Fonte knows his stock has never been higher, he could probably sign for United and earn 130k a week or something equally obscene and sit on the bench because he has already achieved a major trophy win.

This has a very ominous feel and I will be quite annoyed if we shift out anymore first teamers. Ralph/Les said it would never happen again after the huge sellout 3 years ago which we have almost equaled btw.

Edited by farawaysaint

Again... What was the thinking in putting Romeu in the CB position at half time on Saturday for 23 minutes?

Experimenting to see what options you have. There is no point playing these friendlies and using your starting XI. If you know that X, Y and Z are going to be starters, isn't it best to see how others might fit into your plans, especially the young ones?

Again... What was the thinking in putting Romeu in the CB position at half time on Saturday for 23 minutes?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Seemed a bit weird at the time, especially on a booking and a card happy ref not giving a damn that it was only a friendly match.

But surely that can have absolutely nothing to do with this scenario. If Jose was to go, a new man has to come in.

its a new age when only selling 3 players and keeping the rest is a sign of ambition

Sorry you got a bit of stick for your post yesterday. It's just that supporting the club from a pessimistic standpoint is a painful way of doing it. There are two ends to every telescope and in this case, you can rightly point to three players sold, but each of those sales makes good sense in different ways, and of course, the club can't move forward with the squad if it never creates any vacancies. The same facts can be looked at with optimism:-

Wanyama - a good player certainly, but also a liability for giving away free kicks and earning cards, yellow and red meaning he only played for about two thirds of last season's games. Prepared to run his contract down until he could leave for nothing at the end of next season.

Mané, also prepared to run his contract down but with two years to go the club were able to get a massive fee for him. Far more than many think he's worth with a poor attitude at times and long periods when he contributed less to the team than could have been expected.

Pellé - brilliant servant for two years but age catching up with him so instead of watching him slowly decline over one more season, the club have banked a large profit against his purchase price.

Bearing in mind that Charlie Austin was bought in Jan to replace Pellé, the club has three new players in the squad for the coming season and still has upwards of £40m available for further strengthening.

The new long contracts for the core of the team and prospect of bringing one or two talented Academy products into the squad all look like a clear sign of ambition, which isn't just about buying expensive players, some of whom turn out to be flops.

Edited by Professor

I can't imagine we're going to let an inspirational figure leave for any amount of money really.

Lots of the players have been in a similar boat to Jose, just on the outskirts of the national team and now getting a chance. He really should stay past his playing career as an example of what is possible here - if we want any chance of players not jumping at the first chance to go to Liverpool/Arsenal/UTD etc...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

No idea but I'm damn sure if Jose left the club aren't going to play Romeu as a CB all season they will bring in a new CB. Maybe the manager was assessing emergency options similar to Koeman playing Toby as CDM a couple of times when we short of options.

Ballocks

This is not the kind of news I was wanting to hear. At best 2 new additions at the back (keeper/RB) would have been nice, depending on the signings, but a minimum of what we expect as fans.

Fonte touted to leave feels like a slap in the face, even for my optimistic self.

Not sure whether I should spend energy fighting it or whether this is just the state of the game now.

That only netted him 250k in bonuses. Fonte knows his stock has never been higher, he could probably sign for United and earn 130k a week or something equally obscene and sit on the bench because he has already achieved a major trophy win.

This has a very ominous feel and I will be quite annoyed if we shift out anymore first teamers. Ralph/Les said it would never happen again after the huge sellout 3 years ago which we have almost equaled btw.

Fonte certainly wouldn't be sitting on the bench. He'd be the first choice central defender wherever he went, including Manchester United. As we saw in the European Champoinship finals, central defenders are at their peak in their early 30s, and Fonte is currently one of the best in Europe. Admittedly, the only thing that isn't at its peak at that age is the transfer fee so let's hope we don't decide to cash in for a paltry 10 million. His value to our team is worth much more than that.

This might help...

Having Ambition;

1 eagerly desirous of achieving or obtaining success, power, wealth, a specific goal, etc.:

2. showing or caused by ambition or an earnest desire for achievement or distinction:

3. strongly desirous; eager:

4. requiring exceptional effort, ability, etc.:

Worried Fonte is off now. Will be huge loss. They shouldn't underestimate his impact as a player, and as a captain.

This is the sort of post that I find intriguing.

They shouldn't underestimate his impact as a player, and as a captain.

Is this impact just something that the supporters can see and that the PROFESSIONALS at the club are oblivious too? (rhetorical) Not trying to have a go or anything, but there are so many posts by us amateurs, during the closed season especially, that treat the professionals at the club like rank amateurs. I am sure that they are more aware than you and I of the situation, impact and any other course of action that is needed and is likely to happen. We might disagree with decisions made, but this is questioning the club's professionalism.

Batman may be a tool, but to consider what we have done is a sign of ambition is just plain stupid. Selling 4 players (Juanmi was forgotten but we had already signed Pelle's replacement), losing 2 keepers (one through loan and one through retirement), losing one other squad player due to his contract running down, losing a successful manager and coaching team, signing 2 players and getting others to sign replacement contracts is hardly the mark of an ambitious club is it. Take off the rose tinted spectacles, we are working to a model that has worked so far, but no gaurantee that it will continue. We no longer have a player that puts bums on seats (or these days gets bums off of seats). There is still a month to go until the transfer window closes, but to make out we are clearly showing ambition is just laughable to anyone who does not kowtow to the current board and think the sun shines out of their arses.

There is no guarantee that ANY approach will continue to work - outside of hurling vast sums of money to get the best manager and buy the best players - and even that is no guarantee as we saw last year.

Batman - you truly are a piece of work. Don't you wish we were Everton or Stoke......in fact, why don't you bugger off and support them?

So what would you class as a sign of ambition? Keeping Wanyama and letting him go on a free next season? Keeping Mane and getting a low value next year when he clearly would not sign a new contract? Keep your mate Pelle who is at the tail end of his career and not got almost double what we paid for him (not to mention him getting a 260K per year contract)?

Every time you post trash like this it makes you look like a complete tool.

Batman has a point. It would be unacceptable to sell those players and not reinvest to strengthen and improve the first team and squad. The team is currently weaker, that is what Batman is getting at I think. And whilst saints will do fine, most fans outside of the saintsweb bubble want to see them keep pushing onwards rather than banking shed loads of profit year after year whilst they sell the team's stars and sit pretty with the 7th lowest wages in the league. Our fanbase is very like Arsenal's tbh, we like to sit here on our high horses banging on about how fantastically well run we are... whilst at the same time not wanting to make hypocrites of ourselves by asking where the money goes each summer. Clubs where the fans that don't keep asking questions and keeping the boards on their toes have no right to expect anything from the club and ultimately end up in a direction rather like Pompey, bolton, villa etc. In my opinion our fans should be disappointed with the summer so far and should be expecting extra players to come in and strengthen the team. That thought should be voiced and it is more harmful to tell "dissenting voices" to "go and support another team" just because supposed grown adults can't stand them saying something bad, than it is for our fans to constantly expect the club to be looking for improvement. That said, we should all have faith that the club will reinvest the money as their track record has been fair on this point in recent years. Whilst the club can always do better, we can also do a hell of a lot worse. I think some do lose sight of that.