More New Contracts?

Katalinic

This is the sort of post that I find intriguing.

They shouldn't underestimate his impact as a player, and as a captain.

Is this impact just something that the supporters can see and that the PROFESSIONALS at the club are oblivious too? (rhetorical) Not trying to have a go or anything, but there are so many posts by us amateurs, during the closed season especially, that treat the professionals at the club like rank amateurs. I am sure that they are more aware than you and I of the situation, impact and any other course of action that is needed and is likely to happen. We might disagree with decisions made, but this is questioning the club's professionalism.

It's all up there with "why don't we do our business early" and "why didn't we just tie him down to a longer contract last year" and all the other assorted drivel that people seriously think have never occurred to anyone working at the club and that they've just come up with as an original thought.

It's all up there with "why don't we do our business early" and "why didn't we just tie him down to a longer contract last year" and all the other assorted drivel that people seriously think have never occurred to anyone working at the club and that they've just come up with as an original thought.

You're right. The club get everything right and nobody there ever makes mistakes. MY BAD

This is the sort of post that I find intriguing.

They shouldn't underestimate his impact as a player, and as a captain.

Is this impact just something that the supporters can see and that the PROFESSIONALS at the club are oblivious too? (rhetorical) Not trying to have a go or anything, but there are so many posts by us amateurs, during the closed season especially, that treat the professionals at the club like rank amateurs. I am sure that they are more aware than you and I of the situation, impact and any other course of action that is needed and is likely to happen. We might disagree with decisions made, but this is questioning the club's professionalism.

No, it isn't. It's hoping they value him more than any big figure sum (within reason)

not moaning about it, but dont see it as 'ambition' like what is being spun by the club.

Pretty much my thoughts batman, I dont always agree but IMO its a difficult year, on the one hand Im very happy about the fact that we have tied down some of our big players, but on the other very dissapointed at the lack of any real reinforcements despite a bumper TV deal and over 50m incoming for player sales

There is no guarantee that ANY approach will continue to work - outside of hurling vast sums of money to get the best manager and buy the best players - and even that is no guarantee as we saw last year.

Exactly. The more times the Club goes with this risky strategy, the higher the probability that it will not succeed the next time. We've been "fortunate" for three seasons, maybe we will be fortunate again this season, then again maybe we won't. But offering new contracts (and they are only offers, nothing has been accepted) is not a sign of ambition in any real world.

Exactly. The more times the Club goes with this risky strategy, the higher the probability that it will not succeed the next time. We've been "fortunate" for three seasons, maybe we will be fortunate again this season, then again maybe we won't. But offering new contracts (and they are only offers, nothing has been accepted) is not a sign of ambition in any real world.

What less risky strategy do you suggest the club pursue?

Batman has a point. It would be unacceptable to sell those players and not reinvest to strengthen and improve the first team and squad. The team is currently weaker, that is what Batman is getting at I think. And whilst saints will do fine, most fans outside of the saintsweb bubble want to see them keep pushing onwards rather than banking shed loads of profit year after year whilst they sell the team's stars and sit pretty with the 7th lowest wages in the league. Our fanbase is very like Arsenal's tbh, we like to sit here on our high horses banging on about how fantastically well run we are... whilst at the same time not wanting to make hypocrites of ourselves by asking where the money goes each summer. Clubs where the fans that don't keep asking questions and keeping the boards on their toes have no right to expect anything from the club and ultimately end up in a direction rather like Pompey, bolton, villa etc. In my opinion our fans should be disappointed with the summer so far and should be expecting extra players to come in and strengthen the team. That thought should be voiced and it is more harmful to tell "dissenting voices" to "go and support another team" just because supposed grown adults can't stand them saying something bad, than it is for our fans to constantly expect the club to be looking for improvement. That said, we should all have faith that the club will reinvest the money as their track record has been fair on this point in recent years. Whilst the club can always do better, we can also do a hell of a lot worse. I think some do lose sight of that.

A very interesting post and much more persuasive than the posts of those who make sarcastic remarks and hurl personal insults at anyone who has a different point of view to theirs.

No justification in giving either Cedric or Fonte a new contract, the latter only got an improved deal last october. Cedric, well hes hot and cold and hasnt proved hes worth an improved contract. So i think the club shouldnt be offering new contracts to either.

No justification in giving either Cedric or Fonte a new contract, the latter only got an improved deal last october. Cedric, well hes hot and cold and hasnt proved hes worth an improved contract. So i think the club shouldnt be offering new contracts to either.

Yeah, but it will give you something else to whinge about, as the last game of the season being a Cat A is a bit limiting.

There could be some justification i think. If Jose is offered a top deal by somewhere like utd or everton (who knows if true, just lets suppose) then we have three options - stick with what we have, let him go or improve so he may as well stay. The results of those are probably a grumpy club captain who would rather be elsewhere and feels undervalued - not great, lose him and try and replace him with 9m - very hard to replace so really not great, happy Jose on the money he deserves after proving at the euros that he is not only worth the value of himself but has teh ability to improve who he plays alongside as a partnership. Know which option id take.

Never as simple as all that but dont think its too ludicrous if true at all

Cedric not so sure b

Never seen what the issue is with Cedric, I think we were spoiled previously by an excellent RB in Clyne. However, as far as Ive seen he is very able, of course he gets caught out from time to time but overall he is IMO pretty good. And showed his value in the euros aswell.

Not that I am a particular fan of stats but Im sure I read somewhere that he scored pretty high on a sqwaka list of fullbacks.

All in all Im very happy if we are doing what we can to keep our top players. If we are indeed 'ambitious' enough to retain our status as top 6 contenders (a very difficult ask this year with the reinforcement of liverpool/utd/city etc) then we need to pay the going rate. And hopefully we will see some incoming improvements, especially from a striking point of view.

Cedric needs a consistent run in the side, he was dropped at times last year for no reason what so ever. I don't think Koeman fancied him for whatever reason, and Martina was obviously a Koeman favorite. (albeit Ewin) What he lacks in height, he makes up for in tenacity and effort - he gives us a great attacking outlet too.

Cedric needs a consistent run in the side, he was dropped at times last year for no reason what so ever. I don't think Koeman fancied him for whatever reason, and Martina was obviously a Koeman favorite. (albeit Ewin) What he lacks in height, he makes up for in tenacity and effort - he gives us a great attacking outlet too.

I think it is quite clear that Koeman did not like the idea of having Mane and Cedric down the right hand side last season because the former didn't have the best instincts to track back and Cedric would have up and down games defensively which meant we had a weak spot that teams could target.

Cedric is ok defensively - his aggression in the tackle suits him against some players but others will use it against him. He is tenacious as you say, but at times you'd rather not want a player to have that as a trait when someone who had better positioning and tackling would never put themselves in the position he finds himself at times.

He has a lot of potential though.

Any right back is hold and cold when they are in and out the team. Especially one that is clearly better than the alternative (Martina). It is going to confuse any player, and hit their confidence, if they aren't getting picked over a player they are clearly better than. Martina only got games from being a favourite of Koeman and being dutch. I'd suggest that Martina has absolutely no chance of getting picked over Cedric this season. Martina has no chance of ever playing for Holland, no chance at all. Cedric is another class of player altogether.

You also seem to be forgetting Cedric and Fonte were the real reason Portugal won the Euro's. Portugal's fortunes completely changed when they entered the equation. Their defence went from being wide open to conceding one goal in over 400 minutes of football. Fonte in particular was key to that, he was a rock. He is also our captain and leader, it's really important we keep him.

Any right back is hold and cold when they are in and out the team. Especially one that is clearly better than the alternative (Martina). It is going to confuse any player, and hit their confidence, if they aren't getting picked over a player they are clearly better than. Martina only got games from being a favourite of Koeman and being dutch. I'd suggest that Martina has absolutely no chance of getting picked over Cedric this season. Martina has no chance of ever playing for Holland, no chance at all. Cedric is another class of player altogether.

You also seem to be forgetting Cedric and Fonte were the real reason Portugal won the Euro's. Portugal's fortunes completely changed when they entered the equation. Their defence went from being wide open to conceding one goal in over 400 minutes of football. Fonte in particular was key to that, he was a rock. He is also our captain and leader, it's really important we keep him.

Have I missed Cuco getting Dutch citizenship or something?

Have I missed Cuco getting Dutch citizenship or something?

to be fair, he does have no chance of playing for holland, no chance at all...

Ditto Cedric - he has zero chance, I say ZERO chance of ever getting picked for Spain.

and Schlong has no chance of being picked for Northern Ireland.

and so on.

Curaçao is part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands, and people born on Curaçao autmatically get Dutch citizenship. On top of that, Cuco was born in the Netherlands (but that doesn't really matter in this case).

So he's Dutch and could play for Holland ?

So he's Dutch and could play for Holland ?

Well he can't now, as he's captain of Curaçao. But he could have waited to try and be called up for Holland if he had wanted.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Bloody good job that you're not running the football club then chum, or we we'd have sod all players left to make up XI.

Sorry but that is the equivalent of sayiing that because you got five heads in five tosses that the next is most likely to be tails. The chance is still only 50:50

I wonder if these contract extensions help us in some way towards FFP - i know you are only allowed to increase your wage bill each year by x% and if you increase profit you can increase it further. So is this just all future planning to get the most value from our players and then say we sell 2 people next year give us the opportunity to sign some bigger names/fees to replace them as their wages won't break FFP?

Sorry but that is the equivalent of saying that because you got five heads in five tosses that the next is most likely to be tails. The chance is still only 50:50

Sorry, but that is just plain stupid. You are quite right about the 50:50 chance with a coin toss, because that is a random event with previous events having no bearing on the outcome. But the level of risk in adopting the strategy (that some claim we do, personally I think it is not much more than lucking out) is not a random event and is heavily influenced by the changes made in the previous season. The chance that the strategy will eventually fail gets larger each year (if you believe it is a strategy).