Puel

9-3

We were worse in the first three games of last season imo.

Newcastle 2-2 - They dominated large amounts of the match, we came to life after Long got the equaliser. We got lucky they were so poor that they couldn't kill the game off at 2-1.

Everton 0-3 - A walk in the park, one of the worst league performances at home we've had since our return to the Premier League.

Watford 0-0 - A dull game, we created nothing and Ighalo somehow missed two sitters.

Obviously another poor home performance against FC Midtjylland to throw into the middle of that lot.

Again I disagree. I watched the Newcastle game abroad and thought it was very even. Newcastle were inconsistent last year and we had a clear goal threat. I thought we played well. Everton we were utter rubbish I agree but they were also very good in that game if memory serves me correctly with their pace abd power being too much to handle. Watford was a very meh performance. The main problem this year is that teams have not had to get out of third gear to challenge us. United were very average and coasted to an easy victory whereas Sunderland were awful and still got a pretty easy draw which would have been a win without a goalkeeping error.

We were worse in the first three games of last season imo.

Newcastle 2-2 - They dominated large amounts of the match, we came to life after Long got the equaliser. We got lucky they were so poor that they couldn't kill the game off at 2-1.

Everton 0-3 - A walk in the park, one of the worst league performances at home we've had since our return to the Premier League.

Watford 0-0 - A dull game, we created nothing and Ighalo somehow missed two sitters.

Obviously another poor home performance against FC Midtjylland to throw into the middle of that lot.

Apples and Oranges, Koeman had a season's good grace. Compare this season to Koemans 1st season.

Liverpool A lost 2-1 played really well, unlucky not to get something.

West Brom H drew 0-0 shocking game i'll admit.

West Ham A W 1-3 could and should have been more.

We also beat Milwall away 0-2 in the Lge Cup and the game after West Ham we destroyed Newcastle at home 4-0.

Both managers in 1st season. That's comparing apples and apples.

You keep repeating this but I'm afraid I have to disagree. We've been much less of a threat than last year. Of course there is room for improvement but in my opinion our performances have been worse.

Talk us through the Newcastle (relegated), Everton and Watford games, where we scored two goals in total, the same as this season. The forum is all yours......

Apples and Oranges, Koeman had a season's good grace. Compare this season to Koemans 1st season.

Liverpool A lost 2-1 played really well, unlucky not to get something.

West Brom H drew 0-0 shocking game i'll admit.

West Ham A W 1-3 could and should have been more.

We also beat Milwall away 0-2 in the Lge Cup and the game after West Ham we destroyed Newcastle at home 4-0.

Both managers in 1st season. That's comparing apples and apples.

And maybe there are not enough apples to compare pal.

Again I disagree. I watched the Newcastle game abroad and thought it was very even. Newcastle were inconsistent last year and we had a clear goal threat. I thought we played well. Everton we were utter rubbish I agree but they were also very good in that game if memory serves me correctly with their pace abd power being too much to handle. Watford was a very meh performance. The main problem this year is that teams have not had to get out of third gear to challenge us. United were very average and coasted to an easy victory whereas Sunderland were awful and still got a pretty easy draw which would have been a win without a goalkeeping error.
So the same as this year you simpleton :lol:

And maybe there are not enough apples to compare pal.

Then don't compare at all mate. Should I compare with Koeman's last 3 games for the club? How about Puel's 1st 3 games for Nice? The point i'm trying to make is that having seen what a manager is capable of gives you confidence he can turn it round. No one would have sacked Sir Alex after Utd won the treble if they'd lost their 1st 3 games of the following season but Moyes was under pressure as soon as results went south. Whether that's fair or correct is a different matter, that's football.

You've already been shown up once pal; yet seem to have turned a blind eye to your disingenuous revisionism. As you persist, let me just remind you (again) what you said after last season's game at Watford:

Yet another abject performance this season bereft of entertainment. We seem to have lost our identity.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who is worried about the direction our transfer dealings are taking us. You can't stand still in the prem, you should be looking to improve all the time and better teams than us have seen the wheels fall off in the past. It seems to me that not only have we not stood still, we have gone backwards from last year and we haven't used the transfer income nearly as well this season as we did last.

It's just not as satisfying to watch anymore. That team that came up was ours and we could be rightly proud of them. A group who came up through the leagues together and who I think all saints fans felt close to. It may just be me but I struggle to have the same affinity with some of the mediocrity we have bought in. The likes of Tadic just do not have the same potential as some of those.

Other than the European games which have been great, I've struggled to watch the first three games of this season and that's partly due to what I've already outlined (abd because our okay has been dire).

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?54958-Watford-0-0-Saints-Post-Match&highlight=watford+build#.V8q1qvkrJhE

There is more from you from that thread and others but I'm feeling merciful :lol:

You've already been shown up once pal; yet seem to have turned a blind eye to your disingenuous revisionism. As you persist, let me just remind you (again) what you said after last season's game at Watford:

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?54958-Watford-0-0-Saints-Post-Match&highlight=watford+build#.V8q1qvkrJhE

There is more from you from that thread and others but I'm feeling merciful :lol:

:lol: F*****g hell, harsh.

as are Juventus and Dortmund...

If only people read more about the diamond the would realise it isn't really massively hard to implement, maybe the issue is that we just have some players who are struggling to learn it ie the UK ones.

"This works both offensively and defensively, and it demands tactical intuition and smarts from the players."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2432605-breaking-down-footballs-in-vogue-formation-the-midfield-diamond

It can be a very good system although I think Puel uses it in a slightly unorthodox manner. We do not have good enough players, especially when it comes to the physical demands. Hojbjerg, possibly yes, Davis/Clasie/JWP possibly not.

As an aside, this graph is interesting. Nicked it off an Arsenal forum. Based on this I expect us to dominate world football.

Age%20density%20graph.jpg?dl=0

I agree - we seem easy to play against, i.e. let us have the ball up to final third and then put the pressure on with a very good chance of hitting us on the break. Last season we started off badly but we knew we had a good side and a manager that would get results. I just can't see it this year.

It can be a very good system although I think Puel uses it in a slightly unorthodox manner. We do not have good enough players, especially when it comes to the physical demands. Hojbjerg, possibly yes, Davis/Clasie/JWP possibly not.

As an aside, this graph is interesting. Nicked it off an Arsenal forum. Based on this I expect us to dominate world football.

Age%20density%20graph.jpg?dl=0

Can't see graph what's it say ?

This forum really is becoming a bit of a joke. If people don't agree with an opinion they just start dishing the insults. Completely unnecessary.

I agree the personal insults are getting out of hand. If it carries on it will kill open discussion which can be about strong opinions. Some posters seem to think that having well considered strong opinions are akin to trolling. Ironically when they resort to personal insults and venom they are the ones breaking the site rules.

I agree the personal insults are getting out of hand. If it carries on it will kill open discussion which can be about strong opinions. Some posters seem to think that having well considered strong opinions are akin to trolling. Ironically when they resort to personal insults and venom they are the ones breaking the site rules.

Don't be a c*nt all the time.

The way people disrespect each other when an opinion is posted is ridiculous. The post written by Farahaji is controversial, but well considered and well written.

It is open to discussion. This is a football site open to football discussion. If you just want the basic facts go to something like the BBC site or the official club site. Why the do people have to insert venom into their posts directed at the poster ? It is no wonder that people are discouraged from posting.

One of the worst to suffer is Alpine, yet he makes some very good points that are often direct and very much intended to start a debate.

This post shows how disjointed the fanbase is . Any differing opinion ends up with vitriol and aggression. Fans turn on each other to vent their frustration.

The forum mods do a terrible job of enforcing the rules .

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

This forum really is becoming a bit of a joke. If people don't agree with an opinion they just start dishing the insults. Completely unnecessary.

Probably because every time Saints don't win a game, the "opinion" is really tedious trolling by the same boring posters. I have loads on block now for being tangibly delighted when things aren't going perfectly and endlessly banging the same dull drum, only appearing when the team doesn't win and never around when they do. They're obvious trolls and not worth the time or effort of even reading their posts, and the occasional quoting by people who do shows me I'm not missing anything.

Some of them are calculated wums, others are just a bit stupid though and they're even less worth engaging with.

I think it's funny that people chose to downplay last year as an excuse for Puels performance so far. It's early days for him but slating last year as evidence that he is great makes no sense? The two aren't related at all?

Actually looking at last years home record...we only drew three...against the champions, Sunderland and Villa I think? Ok last two were games we would expect to win.

We had five defeats..Man U, Chelsea, Spurs...well even then teams worth hundreds of millions of pounds (and we beat all three away)...Everton (yes that game-no VVD and hit on the break like we had never played football before) and Stoke. OK the last two you would hope to be winning.

So really out of all the games at home we had five (IF we include Leicester) where in reality we should have done better...that's not bad is it? Especially when we beat arsenal Liverpool and City as well at home..

This season we have already dropped points in two home games that we would expect to do better in so we need some turn around to perform anywhere near last years home performance already!

I think it's funny that people chose to downplay last year as an excuse for Puels performance so far. It's early days for him but slating last year as evidence that he is great makes no sense? The two aren't related at all?

Well they are really, they're certainly comparable. People cite last years opening games as evidence that three poor results don't make for a crisis, unless you have the mind of a small child.

also ...... Bad Ludwig !!

Edited by New Forest Steve

This post shows how disjointed the fanbase is . Any differing opinion ends up with vitriol and aggression. Fans turn on each other to vent their frustration.

TBF they are overrun with so many cnts posting.

Every fan base in every club is disjointed, but there are other Saints message boards where the aggression is lower. There is something about this board (and I'm sure it's not isolated to this site) that makes everyone a bit touchy.

Every fan base in every club is disjointed, but there are other Saints message boards where the aggression is lower. There is something about this board (and I'm sure it's not isolated to this site) that makes everyone a bit touchy.

Not so sure about this. The forum over on the other place is equally squalid and illiterate. Sadly many of the worst offenders on here inhabit the other place as well.

Well they are really, they're certainly comparable. People cite last years opening games as evidence that three poor results don't make for a crisis, unless you have the mind of a small child.

also ...... Bad Ludwig !!

As a point to show three games don't make a crises I do get but comparing performances, shots on target etc? In my mind I can't see the relevance of that.

Two of those games last year were away so again it's not comparing eggs with eggs... Some people are going to be worried, some will be waiting to see how it unfolds and some will be extremely optimistic about the next few games...however what happened last year after the first three games will not have any bearing on which of the three sets of views is correct! - so again as an example of it not being a crises it's good but as a prediction of what happens next it's a waste of time?

I am disappointed with the start, the results and the way we are playing now compared to the way we finished last season. The two home games were a major disappointment as both the sides we played were poor yet we really didn't perform well and scraped a point in each. Hojbjerg is a big plus but the blend of the team a major factor last term has been non- existent.

I feel like we are going somewhere, it's just that it hasn't clicked yet for us and the start of the season hasn't been easy. I have faith in Puel, but he needs to start getting some wins because this year's Premier league is tough all over the table. The Championship is getting tougher by the year and if we don't start going forward, we're going to get trampled by teams which might have less quality but actually work.

We played very, very well at times today. There were periods where we moved the ball faster and more accurately than last season. However the striker situation is a problem. I am willing to give Redmond a chance to adapt, Puel has vast experience developing players and if he thinks he can do it I trust him. But in the meantime we need a goalscorer. Long has all the attributes except clinical finishing, and Austin has none of the attributes except it. My conclusion is that Austin is never going to be successful for us.

Leaves us with Jay Rod, who lets face it hasn't looked good enough now for two years (mostly out injured, I know). We can't put our eggs in that basket.

So we need a striker in january, even if only on loan, to play alongside Redmond while he learns the role. Ship out Austin and keep Jay Rod, Long as back up.

We played very, very well at times today. There were periods where we moved the ball faster and more accurately than last season. However the striker situation is a problem. I am willing to give Redmond a chance to adapt, Puel has vast experience developing players and if he thinks he can do it I trust him. But in the meantime we need a goalscorer. Long has all the attributes except clinical finishing, and Austin has none of the attributes except it. My conclusion is that Austin is never going to be successful for us.

Leaves us with Jay Rod, who lets face it hasn't looked good enough now for two years (mostly out injured, I know). We can't put our eggs in that basket.

So we need a striker in january, even if only on loan, to play alongside Redmond while he learns the role. Ship out Austin and keep Jay Rod, Long as back up.

I agree with this. If Puel is not going to change the system to accommodate what we have, then this makes sense. Austin can do well in certain systems, not this one. Frankly he should ask to go. JRod is now 2 years (or so) from playing well, so you can't consider him an option. Plus, as with Austin, I'm not sure he fits either. Long will be good in this system eventually. I still have issues with Redmond upfront though, he looks much better away from the goal to me. This Puel system really needs midfielders acting as forwards. No of course if we changed to a more traditional scheme then the players we have will look much better.

Don't want to sound negative, just worried we are in a relegation fight already.

Puel just does not come over with any passion in his interviews, see post match today. Very dull.

He does not know his forward line up, Long, Redmond, Austin, Jay?

Don't want to sound negative, just worried we are in a relegation fight already.

Puel just does not come over with any passion in his interviews, see post match today. Very dull.

Of course you don't sound too negative by saying we're in a relegation fight after four games. You just sound like a mentally subnormal c*ck.

Puel will come good if the fans give him and the players time. Led Reed on the other hand has a lot to answer for this summer. He's been very quick to take all the credit for our rise and past successes where frankly he deserves little pre koeman. But now he is in the firing line. The team is weaker, we aren't playing kids, and he has hired a manager who goes against his "4-3-3" throughout all age groups. The club looks disjointed atm, departments aren't performing and it stems from Reed's need to be the centres of attention, in charge of everything and taking all the credit. Koeman was too strong willed and let jumped at the chance to get paid to lose him.... Now he must live with the consequences because this summers frankly appalling window is all on led reed.

Agreed, but why wasn't this addressed over the summer. By January we might be in deep **** !

I wouldn't say we are in a relegation fight yet, but if we lose to Swansea we could be heading for a battle to stay up.

Fair enough Charlie.