Puel

9-3

Got to give huge credit to Puel.

Firstly the way he has utilised the squad in such a packed season of games has been brilliant.

Secondly when it all ticks we are an very attractive team to watch. I feel we lost that slightly under Koeman.

Thirdly our identity of bringing young players through is well and truly back which must send confidence to all involved at younger levels at Saints. McQueen, Reed and now Sims look more than comfortable at this level.

Fourthly the improvement in VVD, JWP, Cedric and Austin (to name a few) under him.

Finally we are one win away from being in the knock out stages of Europa and in our first semi final in 13 years.

What the guy may lack in an interview he sure makes up for in everything else. No that Pochettino was/is any better in an interview.

Have we got a song yet for him?

Delighted with Arsenals

Ours was disappointing but had enough - Boufal was excellent

Jeez you must be running out of toddlers to smash on FIFA 2000and whatever year we are in............ Or supporting the wrong team, there was bugger all wrong with our squad tonight.

There you go you got a bite!

If we can reach a cup final and beat HBS next week and finish mid table or above I would be convinced.

This time last week he was a dud (Prague display) week later he is a hero (Everton and Arsenal reserves)

It's a rollercoaster season for him so far, hoping he can prove us all wrong and deliver for us this season - it's all finely balanced and could quickly go either way

If we can reach a cup final and beat HBS next week and finish mid table or above I would be convinced.

This time last week he was a dud (Prague display) week later he is a hero (Everton and Arsenal reserves)

It's a rollercoaster season for him so far, hoping he can prove us all wrong and deliver for us this season - it's all finely balanced and could quickly go either way

2b7dabd1399794528f4b686620dcb1fe.jpg

"prove us all wrong" ???? ...... not everyone wrote him off before a ball was kicked !!

Is there a chance he isn't an amazing manager, or a bad manager - but more aptly, just a kind of good manager for a club of our size. Just looking at the season overall and where we are so far in the table. Don't get me wrong I like what I see so far, and I don't like the negativity some have shown previously but on the other side of that coin, when we do okay for a few games we shouldn't get too carried away!

So in essence you want him to do what no other Saints manager has ever done in one season to convince you? Who the **** do you think you are (its ok you can name your multiple personalities/personas)? You need to have a word with yourself and stop posting ****e.

Is there a chance he isn't an amazing manager, or a bad manager - but more aptly, just a kind of good manager for a club of our size. Just looking at the season overall and where we are so far in the table. Don't get me wrong I like what I see so far, and I don't like the negativity some have shown previously but on the other side of that coin, when we do okay for a few games we shouldn't get too carried away!

Cheer up we are only -3 points from what we had at this stage last season, and we didn't have a semi final and Europe looming.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
The VVD interview was ominous. We can speculate all we like on here but that was hard evidence from the heart of the team - shockingly frank and not subject to the usual media-trained filter of platitudes and cliches.

I don't think that this Puel odyssey will end happily I'm afraid.

VVD was already unhappy back in August....

http://www.leparisien.fr/sports/sa-nouvelle-vie-a-southampton-02-01-2017-6514626.php

I've translated it. It's a bit rushed but you get the gist of it.

For the first time since signing his three-year deal in the South of England, Claude Puel had his three children over. They were able to spend Christmas together as a family, before a succession of three matches which has started badly with two home defeats. "Southampton is building itself, little by little, thanks to good management and a good organisation" explains the Tarnais [someone who comes from the Tarn département]. "With excellent results in recent seasons - 8th, 7th and 6th. A family club which has served as a springboard for players to play at a higher level. A club which develops its players, such as Bale, Chamberlain and Walcott. Very structured with a medium-size budget although there are 340 staff members. That shows a bit of the economics of the Premier League." He has big ambitions: "To win a title and even look to qualify for the Champions League. When I arrived at Nice, a club which at the time was worn out, unable to sign any expensive players, I said I wanted us to be in Europe in 5 years' time. Everyone laughed in my face."

He works ten hours a day, at a high-tech training centre which is alongside a country road in the outskirts. He doesn't take any particular lessons in English because he does not have the time. Eliminated from the Europa League, Southampton have been playing every three days since the start of the season. "I started without taking any lessons. From the very beginning, it was very tough, with a three-hour meeting with the board followed by two hours face-to-face in Zurich with the chairman. When I finished, I had a headache [he smiles]! You've got to get straight into it. I'm doing this at 55 years of age. After, it would have been too late. I needed a new challenge that excited me."

He has no life outside of football, but it is hardest for Corine, his wife. "She is learning English but she has no social life," he says. "It is a challenge for her as well. Our apartment gives both a view of the stadium and the pleasure boats. It reminds me of Monaco. The people are very friendly and considerate but I do not know anyone here."

Said this in the new new manager thread in the summer:

"Pellegrini was my choice from day one. He will turn us into top four challengers.

Whatever you say about City's form last season, this guy has won the Premier League and would become out-and-out the club's most illustrious managerial appointment in history."

If only.

BTW - also said this in August:

I have a feeling it won't be long until there's a Paul Sturrock-style mutiny within the camp. If after five games there's still no win, the board has to be asking questions.

Club majorly screwed up not getting Pellegrini.

"Puel will be a disaster"

Thanks.

"Pellegrini was my choice from day one. He will turn us into top four challengers.

Whatever you say about City's form last season, this guy has won the Premier League and would become out-and-out the club's most illustrious managerial appointment in history."

If only.

Thanks.

What do you want? A medal?

There's only so much a manager can do, we're normally in the game for the whole 90 minutes, bar Spurs where we completely capitulated. We play some decent football but find it hard to break some teams down or even when we do we can't finish (see last Wednesday). Yesterday VVD and Tadic both should have done better with their opportunities. One signing I'd like to see made that not many others would is a new keeper, Forster has his good moments but he lets too many poor goals in, getting beat at the near post, poor distribution at the best of times and refuses to come of his line 9 times out of 10.

If only.

Thanks.

Pellegrini is doing a great job at Hebei China Fortune F.C.......:rolleyes: