Puel

9-3

The players he had been left with you can hardly say it's entirely down him even if we are bottom in 10 games time.... Let's face it it is a poison Chalis this year and fair play to him for taking it on...

Can barely be arssed to tune into it at all and even less offer critism of the Manager when the Directors have so

completely managed to succeed in steadily dismantling a very good team. Hats off to them for some incredibly bad business management. Sell your best assets even in Monopoly and you won't win with Whitechapel and Old Kent Road!

In football you need assets not cash. I feel for Puel ......

The players he had been left with you can hardly say it's entirely down him even if we are bottom in 10 games time.... Let's face it it is a poison Chalis this year and fair play to him for taking it on...

Can barely be arssed to tune into it at all and even less offer critism of the Manager when the Directors have so

completely managed to succeed in steadily dismantling a very good team. Hats off to them for some incredibly bad business management. Sell your best assets even in Monopoly and you won't win with Whitechapel and Old Kent Road!

Captainchris in actually defending the manager shocker...

Spot on! I wasn't happy with the appointment of Puel and I've seen absolutely nothing that would change my opinion. I cringed when Eddie Howe was linked with the job but on reflection I honestly believe he'd have been a better appointment. At least he seems to be able to motivate players and he actually understands the English game. If the appointment of Puel wasn't disappointing enough, we then employed Eric Black!

Any way, enough of that... Out of interest, what do people think about the point at which the club say that enough is enough? If we're 10 games in with 8-10 points and bottom of the group in the EL, what do they do? Act fast and try and salvage something from the season or persist and hope that he comes good?

To be frank, I think that even if we are in the relegation spots at Christmas Krueger and Reed may attempt to 'tough it out' as sacking Puel will be an admission of mistake, and they are used to getting plaudits, not brickbats - at least it may see the end of this 'Southampton way' PR and 'blackbox' nonsense. For me, the most telling thing at the moment is not the formation or indeed the results, it's the players' body language and the bickering on the park. We were told (or perhaps spun) that Koeman had 'lost the dressing room' at one point last season, but I rarely recall his sides propelled by what looks like frustration, heads dropping, and senior players arguing with one another. Despite the sales, we still have some very good players, but are lacking drive and spark - Mane, Wanyama, and Pelle on their day, had that and as the weeks go by with Boufal sitting in the stands the pressure increases on him to be a saviour, not just a good player, more pressure. Our signings all look to have decent potential, but how many would have been automatic choices in last year's side or the year before that, per se? Puel may yet come good, and I hope he does. I am sure that he is a decent man trying his best, but today's English top flight is unique and unforgiving, requiring character and credibility as well as nous.

I think the ten games point you mention is the point where we will be able to see with reasonably clarity where we might be headed with Puel and the players - expect activity and PR drive if that trajectory is upwards, and inactivity and stonewall silence, if it's downwards. Never a dull moment...

The worrying thing is even if we were are in or hovering dangerously close to the relegation zone at xmas I can't see the board accepting they've made a mistake with his appointment, I personally think they will stick with puel whatever the consequences are!

The worrying thing is even if we were are in or hovering dangerously close to the relegation zone at xmas I can't see the board accepting they've made a mistake with his appointment, I personally think they will stick with puel whatever the consequences are!

Funnily enough I was discussing this with a friend at weekend - Reed had a fairly poor reputation, sacked by Charlton and the FA and has somewhat redeemed himself and built a decent reputation in football past 3-4 years especially. He gets a lot of credit (media) for buying and selling players at profit and seems to have avoided any blame for Osvaldo, Ramirez, Mayuka ect ect.

He has now got this reputation for finding good managers and will be difficult and a real test for him to accept he got this one wrong (if in fact he has - time will tell) I’m with you - I think he will watch the ship go down rather than man up and accept this time he picked a dud. Hopefully he has more to him?

He is not particularly experienced and we need not forget that he was hired to look after the youth Academy, Scouting and Recruitment and 6 years on he’s been quickly promoted to Executive Director of the Club and one of four members on the Board. It’s all happened very quickly and accepting defeat on something like Puel might be hard

Has he sacked a manager before? Assume Nigel A was Cortese

Funnily enough I was discussing this with a friend at weekend - Reed had a fairly poor reputation, sacked by Charlton and the FA and has somewhat redeemed himself and built a decent reputation in football past 3-4 years especially. He gets a lot of credit (media) for buying and selling players at profit and seems to have avoided any blame for Osvaldo, Ramirez, Mayuka ect ect.

He has now got this reputation for finding good managers and will be difficult and a real test for him to accept he got this one wrong (if in fact he has - time will tell) I’m with you - I think he will watch the ship go down rather than man up and accept this time he picked a dud. Hopefully he has more to him?

He is not particularly experienced and we need not forget that he was hired to look after the youth Academy, Scouting and Recruitment and 6 years on he’s been quickly promoted to Executive Director of the Club and one of four members on the Board. It’s all happened very quickly and accepting defeat on something like Puel might be hard

Has he sacked a manager before? Assume Nigel A was Cortese

Is this just a sequence of back handed compliments?

Thought it was about time this thread was revived.

Lots of people were pretty scathing about CP's appointment at the start of the season. Comments like 'clueless', 'out of his depth', 'cheap option from a sh*t league' and 'toilet' spring to mind but there were many more. Still standing by these comments are we ?

For me, Claude Puel's looking every bit the coach Les Reed assured us he would be. He's showing tactical nous, good with team selection and looks more than capable of coping with the pressure of the Premier League and our high expectations. On top of that he appears to be liked and respected by the players and he's giving the kids a go.

On the negative, his interviews are dull but who gives a f*** !!

I know it's early days but he looks like the real deal to me.

Lots of people were pretty scathing about CP's appointment at the start of the season. Comments like 'clueless', 'out of his depth', 'cheap option from a sh*t league' and 'toilet' spring to mind but there were many more. Still standing by these comments are we ?

For me, Claude Puel's looking every bit the coach Les Reed assured us he would be. He's showing tactical nous, good with team selection and looks more than capable of coping with the pressure of the Premier League and our high expectations. On top of that he appears to be liked and respected by the players and he's giving the kids a go.

When you look at his past record , he has always improved the clubs he was at and his teams played good football. I had no doubt he would do a good job. Whether he can cut it against the superstar managers with unlimited budgets we will have to wait and see!

tbf they are improving, as is his English. One of the biggest concerns I had was that if he came across as tongue tied and passionless in interviews then he might be the same on the training ground. If you can communicate well everything else becomes less difficult. We are still a goalscorer short, but whether that is his fault or not is moot.

Puel speaks good English for someone who hasn't lived or worked here as far as I know. His interviews are dull because he has a limited vocabulary and I'm sure that if he was speaking in French he would be saying a lot more and with more expression. Being exposed to the language every day will be a big help in bringing on his English but hopefully he isn't just relying on picking it up and is also getting professional help. Its not just about communicating through the media, but also being sure he gets complex messages over to the players, many of whom also don't have English as their first language. Eric Black will be helping but direct communication with the squad is obviously better.

tbf they are improving, as is his English. One of the biggest concerns I had was that if he came across as tongue tied and passionless in interviews then he might be the same on the training ground. If you can communicate well everything else becomes less difficult. We are still a goalscorer short, but whether that is his fault or not is moot.

That was a big concern of mine as well but 7 games in, we don't seem to be lacking in passion and it hasn't taken long for the players to adapt to his system so he's obviously communicating with them well enough.

He is a good manager and develops players we have a good squad with young players who want to succeed so I think if we finish in the top ten get through to the next stage of the Europa League and do well in a Cup competition I think he will have done well then hopefully next season we could do really well as the squad will be more experienced .

Puel has humbled many who thought they new better. The slagged off players will humble many negative posters. It is ok to be wrong, but to not learn from your mistakes is the real sin. Each manager has come and imposed their style, each time I have learned something. Peul is no different, his variations on the diamond, compact paying game will be a joy to watch, saw quite a few Nice games before he came and liked their style. If he can produce that kind of football, Barcelona, man c style!! I will learn even more. We can now see how the team is coming together Puel style! As they shed the Koman skin and embrace the new.

The Manager,senior team, young players, results, cup draws.......all good!! And Boufal still to come! Can't even the most pessimistic fan crack a smile and sing "Saints go Marching in!!!!!!"

Look out top 6, wez a comin.

I thought it would be reasonable to make some sort of judgement of Puel at the end of September.

I feared the worst after 2 lacklustre performances against Watford and Sunderland, but things are definitely looking better now. To me, we look to be playing more 4-3-3 than the dreaded diamond. Fair play to him.

I thought it would be reasonable to make some sort of judgement of Puel at the end of September.

I feared the worst after 2 lacklustre performances against Watford and Sunderland, but things are definitely looking better now. To me, we look to be playing more 4-3-3 than the dreaded diamond. Fair play to him.

There's a lot more going on than 4-3-3. Often you can only see it at live games, so for those who watch on tv (not a criticism) it's hard to see what position players are adopting when the ball is on the other side etc etc. The pattern of our play is definitely progressing. As has been shown already, we will dominate all but a few games this season - arguably we dominated at Old Trafford, and if we improve our goals to chances ration, we will finish top8 for definite, maybe 6th again.

What I like is that even when we make wholesale changes to the team, positionaly everyone knows what is expected of them. Puel is a good coach. We're organised, efficient, and Boufal perhaps will provide the spark ( I think Redmond has what it takes too).

:lol:

Gotta love the bedwetters! By the way, is Chalis some kind of French wine?

That potty chap at Spurs was pretty boring when he was here and Koeman did not say too much to excite me.

To be honest, I can't think of a single footballer that has had anything interesting to say.

Jason Puncheon is fun to listen to when he responds to every question with 'definitely'. This makes me laugh over a typical two minute period when a footballer has to speak.

That potty chap at Spurs was pretty boring when he was here and Koeman did not say too much to excite me.

To be honest, I can't think of a single footballer that has had anything interesting to say.

Jason Puncheon is fun to listen to when he responds to every question with 'definitely'. This makes me laugh over a typical two minute period when a footballer has to speak.

Joey Barton fancies himself as a philosopher.

Time to remind Claude what his name stands for:

P = Please

U =Use

E = English

L = Language

Language aside we have a manager who really knows the game, who is active, inspires and believes in what he's doing. He's going to take us to new levels and into whole new realms of football.

U23s played the standard 4-2-3-1 at Charlton. So that means the club bring in a manager that brings in a new system that not all the players brought in for the old system suit and furthermore the academy and development sides won't play. Any players that come through the academy when they get into the first team squad will have to adapt to a completely different system.

I thought the whole idea was to bring in managers that conformed to the club thinking so that there wouldn't have to be a rethink on the players needed and there would be continuity all the way through the club.

I don't buy this assertion from Puel that to be able to play two games a week we have to play a diamond midfield and keep the ball when patently the full backs aren't good enough, the midfielders can't keep the ball and none of our strikers have a clue how to adapt. Most of our possession statistics come about knocking the ball around between the goalkeeper and the centre backs. If the first three games are anything to go by we aren't doing much saving of legs far from it. Few of the other teams that play in Europe if any play a diamond to save legs, they rotate their players. The problem is we are set up to play one competition whilst the better teams pretty much have two teams within their squads.

We are going to have to make a success of this diamond pretty damn quick otherwise we are going to be out of the cups and struggling in the league. Then we won't need to save legs. How did we let ourselves get in this mess having identified continuity as the club plan?

What do think now we are still in the League Cup and won our Europa League game and beat Swansea?

I know you cant bear to be wrong but love a bit of pedantry as your such a clever little chappy

Appointed by the club...

So they appoint Ronald Koeman and then by a miraculous coincidence the senior leadership of the club just happened to appoint Erwin Koeman to the coaching team without any input whatsoever from the manager they'd just brought in.

You really, really sure about that?

So they appoint Ronald Koeman and then by a miraculous coincidence the senior leadership of the club just happened to appoint Erwin Koeman to the coaching team without any input whatsoever from the manager they'd just brought in.

You really, really sure about that?

You are a strange one thats for sure.

The club appointed both, they did not wait to ask Koeman " should we appoint your brother" they appointed both at same time

Hth

The club appointed both, they did not wait to ask Koeman " should we appoint your brother" they appointed both at same time

Hth

He was clearly appointed as part of the Koeman package though, along with Jan. New managers are often asked who they want to bring in as their backroom staff, the club wouldn't have appointed Ewin if Koeman wasn't lined up to be our manager.

Players are trained not to say anything interesting. They follow the party line.

That's why I never listen to official Saints interviews - dull as dishwater.

Hth

They would not have appointed Erwin without Ronald. Ronald put his backroom team together, Ronald appointed Erwin Koeman to join him at Southampton.

My recommendation to you is don't try and act the clever fu ck and correct me when you're thick as mince.