Puel

9-3

Puel will come good if the fans give him and the players time. Led Reed on the other hand has a lot to answer for this summer. He's been very quick to take all the credit for our rise and past successes where frankly he deserves little pre koeman. But now he is in the firing line. The team is weaker, we aren't playing kids, and he has hired a manager who goes against his "4-3-3" throughout all age groups. The club looks disjointed atm, departments aren't performing and it stems from Reed's need to be the centres of attention, in charge of everything and taking all the credit. Koeman was too strong willed and let jumped at the chance to get paid to lose him.... Now he must live with the consequences because this summers frankly appalling window is all on led reed.

A solid view, except for the fact we no longer play 4-3-3 through the age groups. If you choose to believe those apparently ITK, we have switched to the diamond across the board.

In what way does 'the club look disjointed'?

Can you provide some factual expansion on 'departments aren't performing'? Which departments specifically? Aren't performing how?

He has to stop playing Redmond as a striker, Jay Rod and Long would be a partnership I would like to see him try as IMO them two looked the deadliest in the 15-20 they played against Sunderland with link up play.

The next two will make or break him, if we fail to beat Sparta and Swansea and I think he has to go before it gets too bad.

Clearly this is a transitional period for the team under Puel and his new philosophy. There was a big step forward yesterday if you look past the result. Some of the play at the Emirates was superb, and had Long finished clinically a couple of times we would all be hailing the new regime as messianic.

Claude now starting to come across as sophisticated, reserved and intellectually thoughtful in post match interviews as his working English improves rapidly. Overall, the signs are that things are steadily coming together.

Clearly this is a transitional period for the team under Puel and his new philosophy. There was a big step forward yesterday if you look past the result. Some of the play at the Emirates was superb, and had Long finished clinically a couple of times we would all be hailing the new regime as messianic.

Claude now starting to come across as sophisticated, reserved and intellectually thoughtful in post match interviews as his working English improves rapidly. Overall, the signs are that things are steadily coming together.

I agree, i was a lot more encouraged after yesterday, even the interview clip on MOTD seemed better as he gets to grips with the language etc.

No manager can legislate for an international striker having what can only be described as a nightmare in front of goal, i mean honestly Shane, FFS !!

still think he will have heavily contributed to a team challenging for Europe via the league to one happy to survive

I agree, i was a lot more encouraged after yesterday, even the interview clip on MOTD seemed better as he gets to grips with the language etc.

No manager can legislate for an international striker having what can only be described as a nightmare in front of goal, i mean honestly Shane, FFS !!

The manager might not have been aware of Long's limitations in front of goal, but Reed most certainly should have been and addressed it.

If we're relying on Longs goalscoring we're in trouble.

firstly I'm not in any way saying that four or five games is enough of a fair chance for any manager it clearly isn't, but does anyone truly believe puel is the right manager for us? somehow the appointment just doesn't seem the right fit for us from the beginning, all the talk of next level, will puel ever be at the level of koeman or poch? (i know they had there own faults) Does anyone truly believe he can offer the passion & motivation to win the players over?

Why do people still carp on about 'passion' in interviews? It's what he does as a coach that matters. Kevin Keegan had that. Won Jack Schitt. Would you rather have Mark Hughes' boring, saying nothing almost 'management speak', Mourinho's garbage, Aguero's 'been here 6 years and still speak only in Spanish', Adkins' robotic non-speak, Pulis' first-name terms with the interviewer but wholly biased speech, Howe's say nothing but "I thought we were fantastic" clappy drivel, etc? If those who can't look beyond the superficial want entertainment they should go back to watching crap BBC kids' TV which is probably their level.

And yes, Puel's English has improved in a short space of time. It is unlikely he will be sufficiently proficient even at the end of his 3 years here to be able to explain himself, however, if he is the 'deep thinker' he might well be. Listen to Wenger. He's been here 20 years and he still substitutes French syntax for English (as does Henry) and his intonation is largely flat. That's cause it takes ages to learn a language sufficiently well to be considered 'native' (provided you put the effort in and don't stop when you reach a level that is 'functional') and that is how the French speak. Go and listen to the news in French online or watch a few telly programmes. Then do it with other nations e.g. Brazil, Argentina, Germany etc and you will, assuming you are even slightly observant, notice they all have a different intonation, most of which is better than the crap served up by e.g. Sky, the Beeb, CNN, ABC in terms of content (and that actually says very little at all).

Why do people have two accounts..he made the mistake yesterday as signing himself off as Ludwig on his other account? Is it a bit sad or is everyone at it?

What's his two accounts? Ludwig and?

No idea why anyone would want or need two accounts. Would imagine Mods would close multiple accounts fairly quickly so doubt it's very common

The manager might not have been aware of Long's limitations in front of goal, but Reed most certainly should have been and addressed it.

bloody hell you are augmentative aren't you ?

ok it's Les Reed's fault that Long was ****e yesterday.

There. Better ?

Long averages a goal every 5 games while Redmond averages a goal every 11 games....

Statistically that's possibly the worst partnership in the premiership right now?

bloody hell you are augmentative aren't you ?

ok it's Les Reed's fault that Long was ****e yesterday.

There. Better ?

No, not saying Reed is at fault for Long being sh!t yesterday, but the fact we're without better and more reliable goalscoring options after the closure of the summer window is something he should have addressed.

Perhaps the post below yours will help make it a little clearer for you. Set out again below:

Long averages a goal every 5 games while Redmond averages a goal every 11 games....

Statistically that's possibly the worst partnership in the premiership right now?

We needed a proven striker but didn't get one.

I feel a little sorry for Puel as he has to work with what he has inherited.

I thought Long was 1 in 4. Redmond, I didn't know his scoring record, but doesn't breed confidence does it?

I believe we need to revert to a system wth Austin up top and just feed him chances. For me that's a 4-2-3-1. I also prefer this system defensively to the current one. He's a proper and proven goal scorer unlike the rest of them. He would bag more on his own in a system like that than Redmond and long will combined in the current one.

For me the first thing is Tadic on the left. He can create all sorts from there for Austin. Boufal comes in asap in the number 10 position and probably Redmond plays wide right.

I believe we need to revert to a system wth Austin up top and just feed him chances. For me that's a 4-2-3-1. I also prefer this system defensively to the current one. He's a proper and proven goal scorer unlike the rest of them. He would bag more on his own in a system like that than Redmond and long will combined in the current one.

For me the first thing is Tadic on the left. He can create all sorts from there for Austin. Boufal comes in asap in the number 10 position and probably Redmond plays wide right.

Puel has come from the French league and never managed outside the French league. In france the diamond can be successful but the premiership is very very different and there is no evidence the diamond can be successful here.

Puel I suspect/hope will eventually realise this.

Problem is our season and European campaign could already be over by the time he accepts the reality or is sacked. All IMHO

With due respect you are living in cloud cuckoo land:arrow: A manager that joins a new club, in a new country, in a league he has no experience of and was surprised by Watford's physicality, with players he has no relationship with decides to rip up a system that got the club into sixth place the previous season for which all the players were bought in to play is either a genius or a ****ing idiot. I can see no signs of him being a genius.

Our present situation is self inflicted. Thierry Henry AKA Nathan Redmond looks lost as a striker but talented on the ball, probably the most natural finisher in the league is sacrificed for the system, Long isn't a reliable main goal scorer he is a disrupter not a finisher. Rodriguez is showing signs of coming back. Our record signing has missed the first two months of the season they hope,

If the diamond was the answer every team would be playing it instead of Saints swimming against the tide. It's going to save legs we are assured, but it doesn't seem to save much in the way of legs in the ultra physically competitive Premier League.

Redmond is a winger who throughout his career so far is an occasional goal scorer not a regular starter as a striker. The manager has opted for style over substance. the team works hard but the players don't sit well with this system especially the three small midfielders Davis, JWP and Clasie.

Now that the manager has imposed this system only poor results, obvious fan disillusionment, and a board running for cover will resolve this one. I hope for everybody's sake the results improve and the system works but the manager doesn't seem to be helping himself.

Edited by derry

The personality thing is a concern. No it shouldn't matter in interviews etc, but is he inspiring to the players? It's a new situation for us. Poch came in and immediately got us playing pretty well, so the fans were won over. We were also in our first season, so expectations were limited.

Koeman came in and most were just impressed to have one of the world's greatest players here. That will have the fans on your side more. Plus koeman was likable and sometimes funny in interviews.

Now expectations higher than ever, fans frustrated koeman and players left. And we get a manager many haven't heard of, not a big reputation as a player, and extremely boring to listen to. None of that means he isn't and won't be a brilliant manager, we don't know. But I don't think he's going to get much time or patience. He really needed a good start to win people over. Need to win the next couple otherwise his job is going to rest on boufal turning things around.

Good post agree with your summary & the bold bit may be our downfall if the players think it too, there's still plenty of time for puel to turn things around but i'm not convinced he will if he persists with a system that seems ineffective & without a proven striker that's fit

The personality thing is a concern. No it shouldn't matter in interviews etc, but is he inspiring to the players? It's a new situation for us. Poch came in and immediately got us playing pretty well, so the fans were won over. We were also in our first season, so expectations were limited.

Koeman came in and most were just impressed to have one of the world's greatest players here. That will have the fans on your side more. Plus koeman was likable and sometimes funny in interviews.

Now expectations higher than ever, fans frustrated koeman and players left. And we get a manager many haven't heard of, not a big reputation as a player, and extremely boring to listen to. None of that means he isn't and won't be a brilliant manager, we don't know. But I don't think he's going to get much time or patience. He really needed a good start to win people over. Need to win the next couple otherwise his job is going to rest on boufal turning things around.

Really? I really doubt Les cares about what our idiotic fans think. Maybe Puel should tell a joke about eating chips with Dijon mustard, that seems to be what some fans value in a manager, a rent-a-quote gobsh!ite.

With due respect you are living in cloud cuckoo land:arrow: A manager that joins a new club, in a new country, in a league he has no experience of and was surprised by Watford's physicality, with players he has no relationship with decides to rip up a system that got the club into sixth place the previous season for which all the players were bought in to play is either a genius or a ****ing idiot. I can see no signs of him being a genius.

Our present situation is self inflicted. Thierry Henry AKA Nathan Redmond looks lost as a striker but talented on the ball, probably the most natural finisher in the league is sacrificed for the system, Long isn't a reliable main goal scorer he is a disrupter not a finisher. Rodriguez is showing signs of coming back. Our record signing has missed the first two months of the season they hope,

If the diamond was the answer every team would be playing it instead of Saints swimming against the tide. It's going to save legs we are assured, but it doesn't seem to save much in the way of legs in the ultra physically competitive Premier League.

Redmond is a winger who throughout his career so far is an occasional goal scorer not a regular starter as a striker. The manager has opted for style over substance. the team works hard but the players don't sit well with this system especially the three small midfielders Davis, JWP and Clasie.

Now that the manager has imposed this system only poor results, obvious fan disillusionment, and a board running for cover will resolve this one. I hope for everybody's sake the results improve and the system works but the manager doesn't seem to be helping himself.

Totally agree

Be amazed if Puel lasts the season if he sticks to the stupid diamond set up

Absolutely no need for it what so ever

I only listened on radio 5, and they said we were playing with a diamond midfield...

What was your take on the system?

433 with Tadic right and Redmond left cutting inside. Rodriguez as false 9. Changed in second half with Redmond as false 9 and Long on the left.

See for yourself: https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1080546/MatchReport/England-Premier-League-2016-2017-Arsenal-Southampton

Big whoop. We're 4 games in and we've played 2 of the likely top 4 away. We'll be fine.

I agree we will be fine - however the counter to your away argument is that we have played probably one of the three worst teams in the league (actually on current form the worst) and a lower mid table team (at best) at home without looking like winning.

We should beat Swansea at home though so things might settle down then.

433 with Tadic right and Redmond left cutting inside. Rodriguez as false 9. Changed in second half with Redmond as false 9 and Long on the left.

See for yourself: https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1080546/MatchReport/England-Premier-League-2016-2017-Arsenal-Southampton

I like the "team has no significant strengths!"...who wrote that someone for here?

Spot on! I wasn't happy with the appointment of Puel and I've seen absolutely nothing that would change my opinion. I cringed when Eddie Howe was linked with the job but on reflection I honestly believe he'd have been a better appointment. At least he seems to be able to motivate players and he actually understands the English game. If the appointment of Puel wasn't disappointing enough, we then employed Eric Black!

Any way, enough of that... Out of interest, what do people think about the point at which the club say that enough is enough? If we're 10 games in with 8-10 points and bottom of the group in the EL, what do they do? Act fast and try and salvage something from the season or persist and hope that he comes good?