Saints 3 Burnley 1 - Post Match Reaction

St Chalet

MOTM  

374 members have voted

1. 1. MOTM

So can all the bedwetters please take note!!

Next time we change a manager, can you all please realise that if takes time to get ideas across & for a team to play as he wants.

You make yourselves look rather silly every time with your knee-jerk reactions!!

All of our wins have come against teams in the lower half of the table .

I would wait for another 4 weeks when we will have played quality sides ( who we beat last year ) before getting to carried away .

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

I would wait for another 4 weeks when we will have played quality sides ( who we beat last year ) before getting to carried away .

Ever the glass-half-full man!

Ever the glass-half-full man!

Not at all . I just want to see how we go against quality sides . If we play the same way as we played first half against City we will get slaughtered .

With Puel we have often had a poor first half and then improved.

The resident happy clappys ignore this and only focus on the score .

I want to see us start and finish well . I feel our defence has looked shaky although hasn't conceded . Saying that we have not played anyone of quality yet so the threat is reduced .

Against a decent team we can see if we have improved over the last few seasons . I don't think we have yet .

Hopefully as the season progresses we will do .

You mean the Koeman who gave us wins against Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, Man Utd, Man City and Spurs last season? If you feel Puel will 'certainly' do better than that, it's going to be an amazing year. I'm hoping with you.

I did not say Puel will do better than last season but I feel that he will be better than Koeman in taking the club forward

Not at all . I just want to see how we go against quality sides . If we play the same way as we played first half against City we will get slaughtered .

I want to see us start and finish well . I feel our defence has looked shaky although hasn't conceded . Saying that we have not played anyone of quality yet so the threat is reduced .

Against a decent team we can see if we have improved over the last few seasons . I don't think we have yet .

Except we weren't that poor first half yesterday we were the dominant team from start to finish. We should have gone in three up (twice for Austin and once for Tadic) the only thing poor about us yesterday was our finishing.

Getting better!

Although we still look like we run out of ideas in the last third. Puel still vacant for most of the game from the touchline. Redmond lightweight, but a tricky player to play against when he gets going - play him on the wing please. Austin needs to be more clinical... but you can't fault them both for scoring today!

For me MOTM was Heaton (!) but on our side I'm going for Classie. He was awesome in the centre today, creative. Deft touches. Easy to miss his contribution.

Overall, Burnley were shocking don't forget - less their keeper - we need to be more clinical upfront and work on some ideas for the last third. But our Defence is sound, Keeper didn't make a save, midfield is largely improved.

I'm starting to believe again. Roll on Thursday!!!

Does anyone take Garth Crooks seriously?

Was pleased to see this response just as I was thinking of posting a mildly dismissive comment of my own about Garth Crooks, but then I thought, sod it, I'll post one anyway. So long a has been, few can remember when he could fit inside a football shirt, now making comments that don't fit either ? .

Getting better!

Although we still look like we run out of ideas in the last third. Puel still vacant for most of the game from the touchline. Redmond lightweight, but a tricky player to play against when he gets going - play him on the wing please. Austin needs to be more clinical... but you can't fault them both for scoring today!

For me MOTM was Heaton (!) but on our side I'm going for Classie. He was awesome in the centre today, creative. Deft touches. Easy to miss his contribution.

Overall, Burnley were shocking don't forget - less their keeper - we need to be more clinical upfront and work on some ideas for the last third. But our Defence is sound, Keeper didn't make a save, midfield is largely improved.

Check out this video Saint Robbie another SW poster put it up a while back but many may have missed it, it's very good and explains our system in good detail. No outfield player sits in a fixed position, at times Redmond will play 'on the wing', at other times so will Tadic and Charlie. You will also see them dropping deeper into midfield at times for this reason as its all part of the cycles of the formation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXWq34XByjc

I note that you responded to the bedwetter challenge, as did Saint Robbie below. Interesting how you miss the irony that you were prepared to go off at half cock a short while ago following a slow start to the season when wiser counsel was advocating that you waited to see how a few more matches panned out, and here you are now taking the position that we should await the outcome of a few more matches before assessing the team and manager.

The least you could do is to show some humility and admit that your knee-jerk reactions earlier were premature and acknowledge that any sensible person would wait for a decent slice of the season to pass before criticising the club/players/manager. But then again, there are certain posters who have not learned this lesson from precedents set in previous years, so it is probably asking too much for them to change their ways now. Maybe it's just trolling.

Getting better!

Whereas you post as if you are vacant all of the time... ;)

I note that you responded to the bedwetter challenge, as did Saint Robbie below. Interesting how you miss the irony that you were prepared to go off at half cock a short while ago following a slow start to the season when wiser counsel was advocating that you waited to see how a few more matches panned out, and here you are now taking the position that we should await the outcome of a few more matches before assessing the team and manager.

The least you could do is to show some humility and admit that your knee-jerk reactions earlier were premature and acknowledge that any sensible person would wait for a decent slice of the season to pass before criticising the club/players/manager. But then again, there are certain posters who have not learned this lesson from precedents set in previous years, so it is probably asking too much for them to change their ways now. Maybe it's just trolling.

I dont rate Puel yet . Its that simple . Didn't rate Koeman either . Maybe Puel will win me over , maybe not .

Either way , we beat some poor teams . Surely even you can see the merit in seeing how we react against a better team ?

The second half performance was good. Redmond is a huge asset on the ball, as is Austin around the penalty area. All the players put a shift in a comfortable win. I just wish Forster wouldn't go so early when facing penalties. I just wonder if more saves would be made by forcing the taker to have to pick a spot and execute rather than pass the ball into the empty net vacated by the keeper.

Whilst I see Redmond as an asset, his best work is done playing his natural game. He has a long way to go if he is to make a striker as he lacks the instinct and anticipation to get into the box and finish. His two goals to date were more wingers goals hit well whilst hanging back near the edge of the area. One instance yesterday summed up his lack of instinct. Forster cleared long, Tadic and Redmond were both level, Tadic went for the ball and tried to beat the keeper, Redmond let him go and jogged until the ball came back off the keeper but by then he was too far from it to do anything. If he is going to be a striker he had to follow Tadic in anticipating the probability of the ball coming back off the keeper and be in a position to be first to the rebound. Austin would have seen that but Redmond didn't even consider it.

Wes, St Robbie and the odd fool Kermit are allergic to the words " i was wrong"... must be real problem for them as they are wrong virtually all the time

Except we weren't that poor first half yesterday we were the dominant team from start to finish. We should have gone in three up (twice for Austin and once for Tadic) the only thing poor about us yesterday was our finishing.

The first half yesterday we were awful after Targett was injured (14 minutes). We had looked OK before then. Not clear what happened after the substitution but the team just lost their way and Burnley got into the game, it may have been partly due to the reluctance to get Sam McQ into the game, he hardly got a touch after he came on, and that's not necessarily a criticism it is good tactics to ease a youngster in to the gamein such situations (second half he was an absolute star, instrumental in 2 of our 3 goals). We were fortunate that Burnley were appalling throughout the 90 minutes though, one of the worst displays I have ever seen by a visiting team, goalkeeper excepted. We were excellent in the second half and should have scored 6 or 7, but to say that we were brilliant yesterday (as some have) is an over-reaction. Our manager seems to agree with this view that first half we were poor, it is testament to his ability to motivate and re-organise that we looked so different second half.

A couple of observations. I have never see Virgil lose so many challenges as yesterday, it was quite a shock. Redmond had a lot of touches and got involved a lot, but he seems to lack the confidence to attack defenders and most of his offloads are sideways or easy - he could learn from McQueen who drove at the defenders and got his reward. Very well struck goal though, most players balloon chances like that. Austin is scoring a lot of goals and long may it continue, but he still looks agricultural to say the least, will be great when he is and looks fit. Romeu was excellent yesterday, so much improved on the first couple of games of the season, now back to how he was at best last season. Can't comment on their pen as I did not see it and had no idea what happened, the McQueen pen was a stonewall and any suggestions he went to ground are well wide of the mark in my view, the first half shout against VvD? must have missed it, nothing I saw that warranted a pen. Good to see JRod actually looking fit.

Getting better!

Although we still look like we run out of ideas in the last third. Roll on Thursday!!!

We are better when forwards cause havoc though the middle because teams are wise to our crosses from near the corners, and find it easy to block, as Burnley did time after time.

But a great day fellers. Relentless pressure paid off.

Puel still vacant for most of the game from the touchline.

SaintRobbie how can you write such a ridiculous statement. I spent a lot of the match watching Claude Puel.

He has got our team playing fantastic football. He orchestrated from the touchline. Claude is a quiet man who doesn't rant and rave like lesser coaches, but make no mistake the players who played yesterday new exactly their positions, responsibilities and roles in the team. This performance with clinical finishing could been 10-1.

Anyone who still is in doubt about Redmond please count his touches and influence in our team. Yes he isn't clinical, but he also isn't the finished article.

If you complained about the colour of his car then I would agree with you.

The first half yesterday we were awful after Targett was injured (14 minutes). We had looked OK before then. Not clear what happened after the substitution but the team just lost their way and Burnley got into the game, it may have been partly due to the reluctance to get Sam McQ into the game, he hardly got a touch after he came on, and that's not necessarily a criticism it is good tactics to ease a youngster in to the gamein such situations (second half he was an absolute star, instrumental in 2 of our 3 goals). We were fortunate that Burnley were appalling throughout the 90 minutes though, one of the worst displays I have ever seen by a visiting team, goalkeeper excepted. We were excellent in the second half and should have scored 6 or 7, but to say that we were brilliant yesterday (as some have) is an over-reaction. Our manager seems to agree with this view that first half we were poor, it is testament to his ability to motivate and re-organise that we looked so different second half.

A couple of observations. I have never see Virgil lose so many challenges as yesterday, it was quite a shock. Redmond had a lot of touches and got involved a lot, but he seems to lack the confidence to attack defenders and most of his offloads are sideways or easy - he could learn from McQueen who drove at the defenders and got his reward. Very well struck goal though, most players balloon chances like that. Austin is scoring a lot of goals and long may it continue, but he still looks agricultural to say the least, will be great when he is and looks fit. Romeu was excellent yesterday, so much improved on the first couple of games of the season, now back to how he was at best last season. Can't comment on their pen as I did not see it and had no idea what happened, the McQueen pen was a stonewall and any suggestions he went to ground are well wide of the mark in my view, the first half shout against VvD? must have missed it, nothing I saw that warranted a pen. Good to see JRod actually looking fit.

I would normally be classed a bed wetter on here but can't hold a candle to this post.

Personally don't agree with most of the negative stuff in this post. At no stage were we awful..... I thought VVD was aweSOME ...... Burnley were terrible of that there is no doubt but just maybe that was a testiment to how good we are. We will find out in the next two games to some degree....

You mean like at the Emirates a few weeks back, where we more than matched Arsenal and should've got at least a point?

Fu_ck me there are some seriously dumb tw_ats on here all waiting, desperately, for the manager to fail.

Not sure it's quite that, most of them are waiting for the club to fail, and have been since the god of all things NC left. Then they can cry as to how right they were, even though they weren't.

The second half performance was good. Redmond is a huge asset on the ball, as is Austin around the penalty area. All the players put a shift in a comfortable win. I just wish Forster wouldn't go so early when facing penalties. I just wonder if more saves would be made by forcing the taker to have to pick a spot and execute rather than pass the ball into the empty net vacated by the keeper.

Whilst I see Redmond as an asset, his best work is done playing his natural game. He has a long way to go if he is to make a striker as he lacks the instinct and anticipation to get into the box and finish. His two goals to date were more wingers goals hit well whilst hanging back near the edge of the area. One instance yesterday summed up his lack of instinct. Forster cleared long, Tadic and Redmond were both level, Tadic went for the ball and tried to beat the keeper, Redmond let him go and jogged until the ball came back off the keeper but by then he was too far from it to do anything. If he is going to be a striker he had to follow Tadic in anticipating the probability of the ball coming back off the keeper and be in a position to be first to the rebound. Austin would have seen that but Redmond didn't even consider it.

Agree with this. Has Forster ever got even close to saving a penalty?

He'd have more chance if he just stood still.

I would normally be classed a bed wetter on here but can't hold a candle to this post.

Personally don't agree with most of the negative stuff in this post. At no stage were we awful..... I thought VVD was aweSOME ...... Burnley were terrible of that there is no doubt but just maybe that was a testiment to how good we are. We will find out in the next two games to some degree....

Absolutely! As we were against West Ham, Palace, Sparta, Swansea... hmm, surely not all of these teams can have had an 'off' day against us? We even 'held our own' against the current PL champions, Beer-Sheva & Arsenal [til THAT pen decision]. We were not awful against Burnley, at any time; we were good, especially in the 2nd half.

So, 8 recent games when, according to some, we've been 'alright' and the opposition have been 'dreadful' and that's why we did well? I think not!

We have a good team. We're playing well. Other teams don't enjoy playing against us. We're not the last-10-minute-pushovers we used to be. We're 8th (and heading up) for a reason.

Edited by 5string
strange language censorship

Nah you lost me at awful.........

Wes, St Robbie and the odd fool Kermit are allergic to the words " i was wrong"... must be real problem for them as they are wrong virtually all the time

Wrong about what exactly ?

Having a different opinion to a dirty old man like you doesn't make me wrong .

I don't feel we have progressed . At this point I don't see anything to suggest that appointing Puel has improved the team over last season .

I have different expectations and demands to you . Thats actually allowed in real life . You have low standards and thats fine . Im happy for you

Austin is on 6 league goals now. 2nd top with Lukaku and 1 behind Costa

yet Steve McMahon said a couple of times that he is top half Championship at best

cheers you scouse ****

As far as I'm concerned the scouse c*nt can keep playing down our players. Maybe the dippers won't raid us as readily next window.

So a bore-draw between two useless sides with clueless managers was rated more worthy of top of the bill than lucky Saints who cheated their way to victory - MotD! Usual BBC impartiality. "Our main rivals for the title all have easy games next weekend" - who said that? Effing Mourinho, arrogant thick tw*t.

So a bore-draw between two useless sides with clueless managers was rated more worthy of top of the bill than lucky Saints who cheated their way to victory - MotD! Usual BBC impartiality. "Our main rivals for the title all have easy games next weekend" - who said that? Effing Mourinho, arrogant thick tw*t.
Oh behave, the game was played last night and was still pertinent. Saints game was played sunday and most football fans would have seen the goals etc in the previous 24hours. I would have been annoyed had ours been first up as it was stale in comparison to a game that had only been played 2-3 hours previous

I don't feel we have progressed . At this point I don't see anything to suggest that appointing Puel has improved the team over last season .

I have different expectations and demands to you . Thats actually allowed in real life . You have low standards and thats fine . Im happy for you

I thought professional footy was supposed to be an entertainment. You seemed to be determined to find something to be constantly unhappy about. Try to enjoy life a little more.

I thought professional footy was supposed to be an entertainment. You seemed to be determined to find something to be constantly unhappy about. Try to enjoy life a little more.

You're entitled to your opinion . I'm entitled to mine ?

I think the weaknesses in our style of play is that if Tadic is neutralised, we're going to look pretty toothless (like Arsenal without Özil) and dependant on our fullbacks to play the ball forward. It's going to work out against defensive teams because they're probably going to let us play our game more and we can deal with set pieces and long balls quite well.

However, I feel clubs like Liverpool and Spurs who press a lot are going to give us a hard time. Harrying our midfield and defense, forcing Romeu to make fouls and take cards, not letting us build anything. We might be okay against the likes of Arsenal and United though, it was early in the season when we lost to them after all.

Kind of excited how we play against tougher teams, I think we are going to cause some upsets this year.

Are you as obnoxious, gobby and negative in real life as you are on the internet? Of course not, because if you were you'd be filled in regularly. Most of what you post is drivel.

ps Can I come to your 'We got beat by Man City because we haven't progressed' party if it goes ahead?

Are you as obnoxious, gobby and negative in real life as you are on the internet? Of course not, because if you were you'd be filled in regularly. Most of what you post is drivel.

ps Can I come to your 'We got beat by Man City because we haven't progressed' party if it goes ahead?

:lol:

Outspoken on the internet but a mummys boy at all other times......

Haha so another poster who can't handle someone having a different opinion .

Why does it offend you so much that as of yet I don't rate Puel ? I am interested to see how we perform against higher quality teams who are on form . That will be the real test to see if we have progressed . The point of changing the formation/style/tactics etc is for us to improve . As yet I don't think we have and thats proven with out attacking statistics .

You really are dense if you think I want us to lose to City or any team . I want us to start well , control the game and be incisive and attacking in our goal attempts and solid in our defence . Not just in sections of the game but consistent through out . I'm more impressed by an all round performance than the end result .

So MOTD2 after wasting 25 minutes on Dead Monday thought Mike Dean got all 3 penalty claims wrong, even saying McQueen dived. I thought he got 2 correct, those that he gave and we got lucky with VVD turning his back, (crafty foul Virgil!). We would still have battered them even if that had been given and scored.

Upwards and onwards!

So MOTD2 after wasting 25 minutes on Dead Monday thought Mike Dean got all 3 penalty claims wrong, even saying McQueen dived. I thought he got 2 correct, those that he gave and we got lucky with VVD turning his back, (crafty foul Virgil!). We would still have battered them even if that had been given and scored.

Upwards and onwards!

sadly McQueen will now be branded as a diver due to comments on TV etc and may in future have trouble getting a decision. There was contact but he made sure by falling down. In real time his dive was not so obvious but replays made it look bad.

..if the ball came straight down the middle?

That is not what is being suggested. Like many goalkeepers he goes before the taker has even touched the ball going to ground and leaving the taker who is watching, the empty net. The suggestion is that he waits until the taker is committed then go, making the taker make a decision not based on the keeper committing ridiculously early. It is almost impossible to save the perfect by the post firm penalty but often the ball is placed between the goalkeeper and the post giving the keeper a chance. If the taker is waiting for the goalkeeper to commit he can't be ready to hit the target if the goalkeeper doesn't commit first because he has to make a last minute adjustment.

Edited by derry

A colleague at work that supports Wigan said he saw the Saints/Burnley game on Sunday and was amazed how good we are. He remarked how our club gets it right in the transfer window every summer after big sales. I remarked that Redmond aside, those were players at the club already from last season.

Great coaching I think. Looking forward to seeing Boufal in action too.

Haha so another poster who can't handle someone having a different opinion .

Why does it offend you so much that as of yet I don't rate Puel ? I am interested to see how we perform against higher quality teams who are on form . That will be the real test to see if we have progressed . The point of changing the formation/style/tactics etc is for us to improve . As yet I don't think we have and thats proven with out attacking statistics .

You really are dense if you think I want us to lose to City or any team . I want us to start well , control the game and be incisive and attacking in our goal attempts and solid in our defence . Not just in sections of the game but consistent through out . I'm more impressed by an all round performance than the end result .

You don't offend me pal, but maybe you should alter your online attitude, quit throwing insults at people, it's a bit pathetic because as I said, if you went around speaking like that in real life you'd be getting battered on a daily basis. It's not always possible to play well throughout a game, what's important is to win, different opponents present different challenges at this level, we are doing well so why not champion that? Anyway, try not to make too much of a tit of yourself if we lose the next to eh...

You don't offend me pal, but maybe you should alter your online attitude, quit throwing insults at people, it's a bit pathetic because as I said, if you went around speaking like that in real life you'd be getting battered on a daily basis. It's not always possible to play well throughout a game, what's important is to win, different opponents present different challenges at this level, we are doing well so why not champion that? Anyway, try not to make too much of a tit of yourself if we lose the next to eh...

Too late....

A colleague at work that supports Wigan said he saw the Saints/Burnley game on Sunday and was amazed how good we are. He remarked how our club gets it right in the transfer window every summer after big sales.

I get this all the time too. And the crux of it is these opinions are from neutrals, not so called happy clappers or bedwetters.

I sometimes wonder what their reactions would be (especially if they're fans of leeds, sheff weds etc) if we showed them some of the dribble posted on here - every outsider thinks it must be a dream supporting saints atm!

I'd say we're c25th biggest club in england atm so finishing any higher than that should be considered success by definition. Just enjoy it, it's only football ffs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get this all the time too. And the crux of it is these opinions are from neutrals, not so called happy clappers or bedwetters.

I sometimes wonder what their reactions would be (especially if they're fans of leeds, sheff weds etc) if we showed them some of the dribble posted on here - every outsider thinks it must be a dream supporting saints atm!

I'd say we're c25th biggest club in england atm so finishing any higher than that should be considered success by definition. Just enjoy it, it's only football ffs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25th!?