The January 2017 Transfer Window Thread

SuperSAINT

For those that haven't watched him much, Gabbiadini is much better than the stats suggest...

Some reading for you:

http://readsouthampton.com/2017/01/17/scouting-report-manolo-gabbiadini/

Plus....

A few interesting articles on him. Certainly the goal record is a bit of a red herring because he is often used as a sub by Napoli. He goal return when starting is very good albeit with a smaller sample.

http://www.italianfootballdaily.com/manolo-gabbiadini-solution-striking-problems/

http://www.thesirenssong.com/platform/amp/calciomercato-napoli-transfer-rumors/2015/1/6/7498409/transfer-scouting-manolo-gabbiadini-forward-new-signing-sampdoria?

Feel for Marco Silva, gone into a club, made a decent impression already and the clubs being asset stripped right in front of him.

Yes but if he holds himself well he'll find another (better) job here soon enough. No-one will pin Hull's relegation on him

I still can't quite get over the fact we lost to that shower

tariq panja ‏@tariqpanja 7m

Feeling at Inter is that defender Andrea Ranocchia will be a Southampton player for about €10m by end of month. Let's see what happens

Looks like this could be the fonte replacement

In the Inter home game, wasn't he the fella who got away with wrestling VVD at every corner kick?

Proper old school Italian, we could do worse!

Feeling at Inter is that defender Andrea Ranocchia will be a Southampton player for about €10m by end of month. Let's see what happens

Interesting linked with several PL clubs (though not us)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4151536/Swansea-enquiry-Inter-Milan-defender-Andrea-Ranocchia.html

That has total panic buy written all over it - hoping this is just agent talk

Hes been offered to all Premier league clubs and Hull and Swansea were interested at £5m

Agent then tried to get some Spurs hype/ hope once Vertonghen was injured

This guy was loaned out to Sampdoria and now cant get anywhere near the Inter starting 11 despite injuries.

Think hes been on the bench for last 20 odd games and got on once or twice in last 5 minutes

Let Hull take him

That has total panic buy written all over it - hoping this is just agent talk

Hes been offered to all Premier league clubs and Hull and Swansea were interested at £5m

Agent then tried to get some Spurs hype/ hope once Vertonghen was injured

This guy was loaned out to Sampdoria and now cant get anywhere near the Inter starting 11 despite injuries.

Think hes been on the bench for last 20 odd games and got on once or twice in last 5 minutes

Let Hull take him

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/club/internazionale/110/blog/post/2910101/inter-milan-must-learn-from-falls-of-andrea-ranocchia-and-juan-jesus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would rather have Jeison Murillo of the Inter defenders. Another decent bet would be the other Colombian centre back Yerry Mina. Good player, expect him to come to Europe soon in one of the big leagues.
listened to talkSPORT with Phil Vickery earlier eh.

Much prefer us to be spending money this summer when better deals are available.

Players showed tonight we can cope with the injuries. Boufal is back soon and charlie is a month away.

Only doubt for me would be center back with Virgil probably out for a while. Let s get a loan and give the opportunity to Jack to play.

Anthony Martial has apparently told Man U he'd like to go out on loan for the rest of the season. Might be a good way to add a bit more to the squad, upfront, for the rest of the season without a massive cash layout

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/football/anthony-martial-rift-with-jose-mourinho-and-other-manchester-united-transfer-rumours/ar-AAmakMe?ocid=spartandhp

Anthony Martial has apparently told Man U he'd like to go out on loan for the rest of the season. Might be a good way to add a bit more to the squad, upfront, for the rest of the season without a massive cash layout

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/football/anthony-martial-rift-with-jose-mourinho-and-other-manchester-united-transfer-rumours/ar-AAmakMe?ocid=spartandhp

That would be a massive coup, but if Utd do go for it I expect they'd send him abroad.

JESE TO BORO?

They might be losing Gaston Ramirez, but Middlesbrough are reportedly set to sign Jese.

According to French newspaper L'Equipe, Goncalo Guedes' arrival at PSG has paved the way for former Real Madrid winger Jese to join Boro on loan until the end of the season.

It is reported that Jese preferred Las Palmas, but they were only able to pay 20% of his wages.

Its interesting the number of "we need a new striker" quotes out there. I wouldnt mind an upgrade on Jrod or Long but am realistic about gettng one in Jan. The main thing is that id like to see the stats on which position has missed our main chances this season. When you look at the likes of the liverpool games they fell more to the attacking midfielders (Tadic / redmond / davis) than the main striker i thought. Is this why we are looking for a wider type fwd? That said he doesnt score lots anyway so what do i know!

So hard about a CB. The rib crunching to Maya shows how precarious our position is at CB and it would likely be foolhardy not to sign someone with half a season to go but not someonewho pushes Stephens further down the pecking order. To that end the Jag link is actually a decent one - he may not play, pick up a few quid but is there if needed. We'll get hammered if we sign him but maybe its the level we need. Or if VVD is off in teh summer teh somone awesome please!!

Its interesting the number of "we need a new striker" quotes out there. I wouldnt mind an upgrade on Jrod or Long but am realistic about gettng one in Jan. The main thing is that id like to see the stats on which position has missed our main chances this season. When you look at the likes of the liverpool games they fell more to the attacking midfielders (Tadic / redmond / davis) than the main striker i thought. Is this why we are looking for a wider type fwd? That said he doesnt score lots anyway so what do i know!

So hard about a CB. The rib crunching to Maya shows how precarious our position is at CB and it would likely be foolhardy not to sign someone with half a season to go but not someonewho pushes Stephens further down the pecking order. To that end the Jag link is actually a decent one - he may not play, pick up a few quid but is there if needed. We'll get hammered if we sign him but maybe its the level we need. Or if VVD is off in teh summer teh somone awesome please!!

This.

I'm not convinced its a CF we need. Look at Liverpool... Mane, Coutinho and Firmino aren't out and out strikers, but they're (especially Mane) vital to Liverpool scoring goals.

I wouldn't mind a target man for us to hit for a plan B, but for me, we're lacking creativity / composure (in front of goal) in midfield. This is why I think Gabbiadini would be a cleaver move.

If we want to genuinely adopt the Dortmund/Atletico approach, we probably should be looking to bring in Gabbiadini and Diaz - developing one promising player at a time per position isn't really a scalable solution, as you can see by Dortmund's attempts to buy every promising youngster in Europe.

Seen a report saying we've agreed terms with Gabbiadini but I can't remember where

I saw that also. Interesting as I thought the protocol was to agree a fee with the club and then talk to the player - but who knows, its probably agree a fee with the agent first and take it from there!

If we want to genuinely adopt the Dortmund/Atletico approach, we probably should be looking to bring in Gabbiadini and Diaz - developing one promising player at a time per position isn't really a scalable solution, as you can see by Dortmund's attempts to buy every promising youngster in Europe.

The difficulty of this is that Dortmund and Atletico are generally massive clubs who have previously won European trophies and pretty much secure European football every year. The model works for them as they are able to attract the best youngsters in the world and have the status to command an exceptional fee and they can attract the top players from their respective league to complement their youngsters. Unfortunately we just don't have that kind of pulling power so for us, it is much more of a gamble. That being said it appears to be working, just on a much lesser scale! My concern is when that gamble

The Dortmund/Atletico approach would work well for someone like Spurs or Liverpool.

Ignore that - I just realised that its some sort of parody account. However' date=' Jese Rodriguez anyone?[/quote']

yes yes yes and yes.

Massive coup for Middlesbrough who have done very well in the transfer market imo.

Martial to us would be great on loan, would make sense for United as well surely... Better chance of us taking points of their rivals? For that reason it definitely won't happen.

Two more goals for them and they'd have topay another €10m

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2017/01/09/31306252/martial-two-goals-away-from-costing-manchester-united-10m

Martial on a 6 month loan is an interesting one, usually I'm anti loans unless there is a buy clause if they work out because they just block first team opportunities for our youngsters and are not a long term solution. In this case though we are short a striker and our top prospect is out on loan so he wouldn't really be blocking anyones progress and would be great competition/cover in the meantime.

Sadly it won't happen though!

I'm not convinced on the Jesse thing either, there is a reason he is looking likely to land up at Boro and that's not because he's a world beater on current form.

With Southampton pushing for Manolo Gabbiadini, their official offer to Napoli is already on the table: 16 million Euro plus an extra four million based on goal-related bonuses in the Premier League.

The first of the four bonus million would apparently come in to play after Gabbiadini’s eventual 10th goal in the league, and the second million by the 15th goal.

In addition, Napoli may get the guarantee of receiving 10% of an eventual future sale of Gabbiadini: Another clause used by Southampton in hopes of convincing Napoli and president De Laurentiis to reach an agreement.

The difficulty of this is that Dortmund and Atletico are generally massive clubs who have previously won European trophies and pretty much secure European football every year. The model works for them as they are able to attract the best youngsters in the world and have the status to command an exceptional fee and they can attract the top players from their respective league to complement their youngsters. Unfortunately we just don't have that kind of pulling power so for us, it is much more of a gamble. That being said it appears to be working, just on a much lesser scale! My concern is when that gamble

The Dortmund/Atletico approach would work well for someone like Spurs or Liverpool.

Spurs and Liverpool already kinda do do it- it's just there is 4 clubs better than them already here in England ;)

Dortmund also poach from smaller clubs in Germany let us not forget, with their last two managers coming from Mainz I think.

I don't think we are that interested in loans where there is not a realistic chance of signing the player later. With loan-fees and wages for players like Jese and Martial there's a very high cost without the chance of making a profit if they do well. Its not really how we do business.

JESE TO BORO?

They might be losing Gaston Ramirez, but Middlesbrough are reportedly set to sign Jese.

According to French newspaper L'Equipe, Goncalo Guedes' arrival at PSG has paved the way for former Real Madrid winger Jese to join Boro on loan until the end of the season.

It is reported that Jese preferred Las Palmas, but they were only able to pay 20% of his wages.

Who wouldn't prefer Las Palmas to Middlesbrough if you're getting paid the same amount of money. :lol: