The January 2017 Transfer Window Thread

SuperSAINT

Glad i'm not a Sunderland fan. Selling a player to a relegation rival no matter how many toys he was flung out of his pram is just crazy.

Not just them either - Hull are doing the same although put up a good display last night. Jim White will be happy - looks it'll be the busiest deadline day on a January for years with plenty of last ditch trolley dashes. Always risky - Niasse the classic example but Henri Camara in 2005 nearly kept us up so it can be a positive boost.

Saints are clearly looking for CB and urgently need one if VVD prognosis poor. ST looks close to completion though.

Question; if Virgil is out, how much of a priority is a new centre back that isn't cup tied?

Will a players eligibility to play in the final eliminate the priority of the transfer?

Harry Maguire (cup tied)

Mamadou Sakho

Andrea Ranocchia

Tasic

Jagielka (named in squad but didn't play)

Update from Spain bascially saying Mariano Diaz is our alternative and would be a good fit for the Saints.

"A new exit ramp opens to Mariano Diaz absence of a few days for the transfer market closes. As reported by Radio CrC , the last club that has knocked the hispanodominicano has been the Southampton English. The squad of the Premier League looking for a striker and have two names on the table.

The first is Manolo Gabbiadini. The player Naples is the leading candidate and the British and have offered up to 16 million euros to the Italian club. However, it appears that the operation will not be simple and therefore have a plan B. If finally confirmed that Gabbiadini not leave Naples, Southampton would go for Real Madrid.

The front 23 like it in the English team . His physical portentous and his goalscoring ability would fit perfectly into the team Saints . Since last summer market crowd of equipment, most notably Sevilla, Alaves, Valencia, Deportivo de La Coruna, UD Las Palmas, Espanyol, Leganés or Eintracht Frankfurt , have been interested in the striker.

Remember that DIARIO MADRIDISTA and told the intention of Mariano Diaz and Real Madrid itself. The scorer wants to continue fighting for his dream of succeeding in the entity of Concha Espina and if he finally had to pack his desire is to get sold."

https://okdiario.com/real-madrid/futbol/2017/01/26/southampton-llama-puerta-mariano-159403

Question; if Virgil is out, how much of a priority is a new centre back that isn't cup tied?

Will a players eligibility to play in the final eliminate the priority of the transfer?

Harry Maguire (cup tied)

Mamadou Sakho

Andrea Ranocchia

Tasic

Personally I don't think it will be a factor at all. Stevens was good enough in the semi, so if push comes to shove he will be given his head in the final too. Any signing will be looked at in terms of a multi year contract. How he can help the club over an extended period not one game

Update from Spain bascially saying Mariano Diaz is our alternative and would be a good fit for the Saints.

"A new exit ramp opens to Mariano Diaz absence of a few days for the transfer market closes. As reported by Radio CrC , the last club that has knocked the hispanodominicano has been the Southampton English. The squad of the Premier League looking for a striker and have two names on the table.

The first is Manolo Gabbiadini. The player Naples is the leading candidate and the British and have offered up to 16 million euros to the Italian club. However, it appears that the operation will not be simple and therefore have a plan B. If finally confirmed that Gabbiadini not leave Naples, Southampton would go for Real Madrid.

The front 23 like it in the English team . His physical portentous and his goalscoring ability would fit perfectly into the team Saints . Since last summer market crowd of equipment, most notably Sevilla, Alaves, Valencia, Deportivo de La Coruna, UD Las Palmas, Espanyol, Leganés or Eintracht Frankfurt , have been interested in the striker.

Remember that DIARIO MADRIDISTA and told the intention of Mariano Diaz and Real Madrid itself. The scorer wants to continue fighting for his dream of succeeding in the entity of Concha Espina and if he finally had to pack his desire is to get sold."

https://okdiario.com/real-madrid/futbol/2017/01/26/southampton-llama-puerta-mariano-159403

Get the feeling this is just to apply pressure to Napoli... pretty similar to what their doing by saying other clubs interested. A lot of game playing on both sides.

I reckon that he'll sign, a deadline day deal would be my guess.

Harry Maguire (cup tied)

Mamadou Sakho

Andrea Ranocchia

Tasic

If he's out for 3 months as reported, do you think we will get 2? 1 on loan (VVD cover) and 1 permanent (Fonte cover). If we do, I would say its for them to fight over 1 place, next to yoshida if he continues his form this season.

If he's out for 3 months as reported, do you think we will get 2? 1 on loan (VVD cover) and 1 permanent (Fonte cover). If we do, I would say its for them to fight over 1 place, next to yoshida if he continues his form this season.

I'm thinking we will only get 1 defender in.

Crystal Palace agreed to pay an initial £14m for van Aanholt. Paniiiiiic.

£14 million for Van Aanholt is insane. Sure he gets a few goals from left back but defensively he's poor. There's a reason Sunderland struggle defensively. Sunderland have the better end of that deal, especially if they invest the money wisely. As for Palace, they seem to love throwing huge money at players. They overpaid for Benteke too.

As for the Mariano Diaz link for us, I'd never heard of him, but at first glance he looks to have a promising future with a decent pedigree. However if the club think Gabbiadini can offer us something, I'm behind it.

Maybe 1 perm and 1 loan could be the plan if Gardos goes as well? Not much point in gardos staying if still not being considered at the moment?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

@SouthamptonFC: Puel on transfers: "We will see in the next few days if some players can join this squad." #saintsfc

Plural! Gotta love it.

£14 million for Van Aanholt is insane. Sure he gets a few goals from left back but defensively he's poor. There's a reason Sunderland struggle defensively.

I try not to spend time analysing Sunderland's defence but given they've been awful for years it wouldn't surprise me if Van Aanholt could do better with proper coaching from an Allardyce type.

Edited by DuncanRG

Failed a medical at Boro didn't he? I would presume his injury record was why Saints would stay clear.

Not injured enough, you mean?

This fellow sounds a much better prospect for our treatment room:

"Spartak Moscow's Serdar Tasci could be arriving at St Mary's on loan for the rest of the season according to media reports this morning.

The German who won 14 caps for his country between 2008-10 won the 2006-07 with his first club VFB Stuttgart and played over 200 games before joining the Russian club in 2013 although due to an injury in training it would be several months before he made his debut."

i only saw a little bit of the game tbf, but if you type Fat & Slow into black box, it comes back Harry McGuire, just between Tommy Huddlestone + Gareth Barry, that's all I'm saying.

Apologies if this is old but I'd never heard it before, what do Liverpool fans call Gareth Barry?

Barry island, made I chuckle.

Not injured enough, you mean?

This fellow sounds a much better prospect for our treatment room:

"Spartak Moscow's Serdar Tasci could be arriving at St Mary's on loan for the rest of the season according to media reports this morning.

The German who won 14 caps for his country between 2008-10 won the 2006-07 with his first club VFB Stuttgart and played over 200 games before joining the Russian club in 2013 although due to an injury in training it would be several months before he made his debut."

Does not compute, Captain.

'Loan for the rest of the season' and 'several months' are much the same.

The text is ambiguous. 'Would be several months' is a future tense and does not differentiate between 'could be arriving at St. Mary's' and 'before joining the Russian club'.

Nice try Fry ;)

1. It's not ambiguous.

2. He was injured for several months after he signed for Spartak Moscow which is what the text is about. Which is obvious if you, like, read it.

3. He isn't injured now and even if he was that sentence still wouldn't make sense.

"Made" is past tense.

No it isn't. It's actually a future conditional and could be substituted by 'were to make' or 'would make'.

Whether it means to say it or not is moot given that most people can't speak English but it actually says that he is injured and so would not be available to make a debut until such time (in the future) that he is no longer injured.

No it isn't. It's actually a future conditional and could be substituted by 'were to make' or 'would make'.

Whether it means to say it or not is moot given that most people can't speak English but it actually says that he is injured and so would not be available to make a debut until such time (in the future) that he is no longer injured.

OK, whatever, have we bought a bloody striker yet (and CB)?

I'd have liked Snodgrass. Could have been just that little bit of creative spark from midfield that we lack.

So would I, just so that he can't score against us again!

That said, I did read in the Scottish press on Thursday that he was after £80k per week wages so on that count, no thanks. He's good but not that good.