Saints 0-0 Liverpool - Reactions

Dalek2003

MotM vs Liverpool (Home 2016/17)  

243 members have voted

1. 1. MotM vs Liverpool (Home 2016/17)

A very good point against a team that is flying and brimming with confidence. One again, I think that Puel had it spot on tactically. Fast attacking teams like Liverpool need to be closed down and not allowed the space and time to play to their strengths. This we did very well, with Romeu and Davis in particular and Hojbjerg to a lesser degree. If the midfield was breached, the back four stood firm and put in a magnificent shift. There are not many CB pairings better than VV-D and Fonte, nor many full backs better than Bertrand and Cedric when it comes to pace out wide. Considering that both of them had only recently returned from injuries, they both put in a very good shift.

Effectively though, to a large extent both teams nullified each other's efforts when the ball got to the final third of the pitch. Granted that Liverpool had more clear cut chances and could have scored had they been more clinical, but had that been us failing so miserably to put the ball in the net, there would have been many on here calling our strikers useless. There were a couple of really good saves from Forster, but again, a really good shot is one beyond the reach of a keeper of his standing.

There were a couple of occasions when we put the ball clean through their midfield and ran towards their goal with a good chance to score had Austin had more pace, if Redmond had been more decisive, or if other players

ran quickly into areas where they could receive a defence-splitting pass. Understandable that Long wasn't deemed ready to start the match and was probably held in reserve to bring on against tiring Liverpool legs, but one feels that those opportunities were just what he thrives on. On the Liverpool side, Mane was their equivalent threat and it was testament to our tactics that he really didn't get a look in. On a couple of occasions when he did break through with the ball at his feet, I was surprised and delighted to see that Virgil outpaced him both times and took the ball off him. Virgil also produced a couple of superb last ditch tackles in the box when their strikers were just pulling the trigger and for me was MOTM.

After the Hull result, and with the returns of Bertrand, Cedric and Long, I think our confidence will have had a real boost. Liverpool's will have received a bit of a dent.

Fonte not happy in his interview, says we were poor and need to do better with the quality

Nor van Dyke who said much he same! That joint interview said it all really, neither player wants to be here because they both think they are far too good for the rest of the team. Obviously they feel let down by the attackers who contributed little to hold the ball up create an attacking threat and reduce the pressure on the back line. I've been reluctant to even consider we might lose them both in January but they are in no mood to stay beyond June.

Nor van Dyke who said much he same! That joint interview said it all really, neither player wants to be here because they both think they are far too good for the rest of the team. Obviously they feel let down by the attackers who contributed little to hold the ball up create an attacking threat and reduce the pressure on the back line. I've been reluctant to even consider we might lose them both in January but they are in no mood to stay beyond June.

There's some very special people on this forum.

Good point against a Liverpool side that had been flying the last month . Tactically I thought Puel got it spot on , anyone who thinks we could have gone toe to toe with them is deluded .

Next Sunday we'll know just how good a point this was. Draw in Prague beat Everton and it'll look like an excellent point

Few points from yesterdays game from my perspective.

We looked incredibly solid at the back, VVD is far too good for us and Fonte is coming back to form. Also the return of Cedric has improved us at right back and Romeu is an utter beast of a player in the middle (though i'm worried he's playing too much).

The midfield looked good, Hojbjerg is a great signing and Boufal looks impressive already, although he needs to learn the game here a bit more and not try and do everything himself.

Upfront though we're sadly toothless and need a new striker in Jan if we are to do anything. Austin will be a streaky player but take him out and i just can't see where goals come from to be honest.

Liverpool, and this bit is through gritted teeth, look really good this season. Mane has been an excellent addition for them and i have to say i was really impressed by Can yesterday. He seemed to be involved in everything Liverpool did and gave an extra bit of bite they've often seemed lacking to me.

One last point that needs making is what the hell has happened to Liverpool's support? It was absolutely bloody woeful yesterday and i don't think i've ever seen so many tourists in an away end in my life. At £20 a ticket and on a saturday at 3pm i expected them to make a racket but instead there was a weird attempt to sing "oh when the saints" (why the hell other clubs do this at St Mary's i will never, ever understand. It's like us singing you'll never walk alone at Anfield) and a couple of lacklustre "liverpool's" a that was it.

I probably shouldn't be massively surprised given that the train down from London was packed with people in Liverpool shirts but the only Scouse accent i heard was the woman working the drinks trolley.

Stuff like this shows that media pundits are worth paying - they know how good Redmond is and a lot of us don't. He was pretty poor going forward last night but so was everyone.

Tbf pundits will say anything they can , it doesn't matter what it is .

Redmond is an average lower prem player . Its little surprise our attacking is poor when we are relying on players like this . Its unfair to expect more from him . He has his level and we are used to expecting better . Personally I'm stunned he gets picked each week as a striker

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Just watched the game again . Nice to see Fonte playing well again. Romeu was excellent. Vvd was fantastic but looks very frustrated. Bertrand also looked frustrated.

Sad to see how far we have fallen behind Liverpool though . Yes they have spent big but we are so painfully average now .

Just watched the game again . Nice to see Fonte playing well again. Romeu was excellent. Vvd was fantastic but looks very frustrated. Bertrand also looked frustrated.

Sad to see how far we have fallen behind Liverpool though . Yes they have spent big but we are so painfully average now .

Behave we've finished above them once in our entire history. They had a poor season last time out (if you class two cup finals as poor) but it was hardly like the worm had turned and we were massively better than them.....

Behave we've finished above them once in our entire history. They had a poor season last time out (if you class two cup finals as poor) but it was hardly like the worm had turned and we were massively better than them.....

The last few seasons we actually had a go though . We were never terrified of them . Last few seasons we were not really scared of anybody . We had our areas of strength and played to them .

We don't seem to have any dominant part of our game now . Just a bit average now .

The last few seasons we actually had a go though . We were never terrified of them . Last few seasons we were not really scared of anybody . We had our areas of strength and played to them .

We don't seem to have any dominant part of our game now . Just a bit average now .

yeah you could tell that by the way Koeman reverted to five at the back every time we had a poor spell....

yeah you could tell that by the way Koeman reverted to five at the back every time we had a poor spell....

Yet even with 5 at the back we still much more attacking than we are now .

Apparently Puel set us up to play negative football . Koeman ( who I was never a fan of ) may have played 5 at the back but the team still pushed forward when attacking .

Yet even with 5 at the back we still much more attacking than we are now .

Apparently Puel set us up to play negative football . Koeman ( who I was never a fan of ) may have played 5 at the back but the team still pushed forward when attacking .

I really loved that League Cup game, where we played open creative football and attacked them from the first minute. Wish we'd played like that yesterday.

The fact we need to celebrate a HOME draw with Liverpool :?

Another game with serious questions about our attacking play

There isn't any attacking play under Puel. We were lucky yesterday - very lucky. Still think we'll finish 14th. Puel has taken a team of good players and made them into mediocre ones. No flare - no chance of scoring more than one in a game if we're lucky with Puel's system. Useless coach IMHO. No-one listens to him Only time we looked dangerous was when Jay Rod and Longy came on and ignored Puels system.

Well done to JVD and Forster without them we'll be joining Swansea... wonder if they'll stay much longer.

... bored of watching our team slow down and let the opposition regroup when we can break out. Puel hasn't got a clue.

That's not true, he's an expert at what he does it's just that it is so numbingly defensive that we play one of the best finishers around as an auxiliary full back. What the hell happened to the Southampton way because this isn't it. This isn't about yesterday, it's about the way we play. If we don't get players into the box and get the ball to them we aren't going to score goals. Four from play in 12 matches is a massive criticism. I'd prefer 40% possession and four goals to beat Arsenal over 65% possession and lose to Hull.

Everyone is pleased with the result;

But let's just say that if a poster expressed Fonte's views on yesterday's performance, they would have been savaged by the usual dullards on here.

It was a good result against a top of the table side while being poor ourselves (defence apart) can't help but be pleased... but than I'm I fan not a player.

Yeah...it's highly likely we'll sell our two first choice CBs in January....jeez, how come there are so many fücktards on this board!?

There isn't any attacking play under Puel. We were lucky yesterday - very lucky. Still think we'll finish 14th. Puel has taken a team of good players and made them into mediocre ones. No flare - no chance of scoring more than one in a game if we're lucky with Puel's system. Useless coach IMHO. No-one listens to him Only time we looked dangerous was when Jay Rod and Longy came on and ignored Puels system.

Well done to JVD and Forster without them we'll be joining Swansea... wonder if they'll stay much longer.

:mcinnes:

http://www.footcharts.co.uk/index.cfm?task=basics_shotsontarget

We didn't lose, so how come you're on here posting your usual negative claptrap. There isn't any attacking play under Puel? You really are a troll of the highest order and that is quite some feat considering some of the competition you have on here.

It's a disgrace how we've fallen below Liverpool. Their only major trophy is the FA cup, won decades ago. We've won the English League Championship eighteen times, the FA Cup seven times and the League Cup a record eight times. We've accumulated more top-flight wins and points than any other English team, and have the highest average league finishing position for the 50-year period to 2015. We've also won the European Cup five times, an English record and only surpassed by Real Madrid and A.C. Milan. We've also won the UEFA Cup three times.

But now Liverpool are better than us. Puel out! :hunt:

was the first time since december 2004 that we failed to get a shot on target in a game

Sod that I want to know the pass completion rate of our left back and how that compares to Stoke's LB?

Liverpool only had 2 btw. One a fantastic save, the other was something a 12 yo could've saved.

Redmond is, in my view, a pointless addition to the squad. Les Reed bought him b4 Claude joined, cos he knew Claude wouldn't have wanted the useless headless chicken.

Rubbish, he was very good today, especially defensively. We just didn't have the ball up front enough.

Redmond is, in my view, a pointless addition to the squad. Les Reed bought him b4 Claude joined, cos he knew Claude wouldn't have wanted the useless headless chicken.

yeah you can tell Puel doesn't like Redmond...

Puel said: "It is two men with the same possibilities, quick, a good ability in the technical and the run also.

"I see similarities between the two with this ability to shoot with the right foot and to curl the ball.

"He (Redmond) has this particularly, and he feels too the play and he can make a combination with his partner and can dribble also and make the difference for me.

"(He's) a very good player and a very good surprise to find this player at this level.

"I can see a player with all these qualities, and all these qualities in front of the goal also, so it's for me a pity to leave him out wide.

"It's important I think to put this player on the better position for him and we will see in the future in the games he can play in this position with good talent."

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/southampton-boss-claude-puel-nathan-redmond-has-similarities-to-thierry-henry-34960135.html

Our best players today, imho, were Fonte, Cedric and Forster. Those 3 really were exceptional. Forster made several excellent saves, the best of which was a diving save of a powerful Mane shot heading for the top corner of the goal. Cedric showed great pace and skill, and Fonte made some unbelievable saving tackles and interceptions to keep us in the game.

Thanks for the description. Yep, seen MoTD highlights now. That save was incredible, wasn't it?

I agree, Fonte & Cedric were the stand-out 'outfield' players based on those highlights.

Romeu & VvD also looked pretty good, as usual.

Flipping 'eck - you're not just reading between the lines, you are reading between each individual letter.

That's not true, he's an expert at what he does it's just that it is so numbingly defensive that we play one of the best finishers around as an auxiliary full back. What the hell happened to the Southampton way because this isn't it. This isn't about yesterday, it's about the way we play. If we don't get players into the box and get the ball to them we aren't going to score goals. Four from play in 12 matches is a massive criticism. I'd prefer 40% possession and four goals to beat Arsenal over 65% possession and lose to Hull.

This is a load of drivel. Yesterday was the exception not the rule as to how we play. We are not clinical, but are not a defensive team. Full backs alone demonstrate that.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/nov/21/premier-league-10-talking-points-crystal-palace-arsenal-west-ham

"Van Dijk serves further notice of his rich potential

Southampton’s conveyer belt of talent has been in operation for some time now and it is tempting to wonder how long it will be before Virgil van Dijk is the next player to be signed by a high-profile club. Aged 25, Van Dijk is an opposing central defender who seems to be getting better and better. Claude Puel recently said that the Dutchman, who signed a six-year contract in May, has the potential to go on and become one of the top five defenders in the world and it was no surprise to hear the Southampton manager again being asked about those qualities in the wake of the goalless draw against Liverpool. It was certainly a brilliant piece of defending that denied Sadio Mané the chance of marking his return to St Mary’s with a goal as Van Dijk showed a turn of pace as well as expert timing to get back and block the Liverpool forward’s goalbound shot." (Stuart James)

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/nov/21/premier-league-10-talking-points-crystal-palace-arsenal-west-ham

"Van Dijk serves further notice of his rich potential

Southampton’s conveyer belt of talent has been in operation for some time now and it is tempting to wonder how long it will be before Virgil van Dijk is the next player to be signed by a high-profile club. Aged 25, Van Dijk is an opposing central defender who seems to be getting better and better. Claude Puel recently said that the Dutchman, who signed a six-year contract in May, has the potential to go on and become one of the top five defenders in the world and it was no surprise to hear the Southampton manager again being asked about those qualities in the wake of the goalless draw against Liverpool. It was certainly a brilliant piece of defending that denied Sadio Mané the chance of marking his return to St Mary’s with a goal as Van Dijk showed a turn of pace as well as expert timing to get back and block the Liverpool forward’s goalbound shot." (Stuart James)

I think we can look forward to endless articles like that....:(

My thoughts on the match ......

Defence we dont have any issues , fonte and VVD with Romeu playing in front are as solid as any defence in the league .

The full backs we have to come in are strongest with Bertrand and Cedric ....Targett and Mcqueen are fine a back up for Bertrand , martina is far to nervous at this level and constantly slows our momentum down by passing backwards ....need to be replaced.....its a shame we didnt take callum chambers on loan instead of him going to middlesborough he would have been back up for cedric and for the CBs hey ho .

Our problem currently is scoring goals , I honestly do not think its a personel problem I think our options are fine ! the issue is continuity .

Last season Leicester won the league playing virtually the same front four all season , liverpool play with mane coutinho firmino and Lalana every game they are available , the run chelsea are on has seen is be pedro moses hazard and costa .

The main area we have rotated because of the fixture pileup i up front and attacking midfileders , we need after we get the last two europas out of the and no european matches till March get some continuity up front . Let the players build partnerships with the FBs and get some fluidity into our play in the final third , i believe that will see the goals start to flow .

We have a superb defensive spine , we just need to cement the front end in place decide who the best four/three are and stick to it for a few matches .

All good overall and looking forward to the run to christmas , qualifying for the rest of the european tour and maybe nicking a semi final place from arsenal.

For the doom mongers ....please consider Liverpool have been steam rolling teams recently , we kept a clean sheet .