Virgil Transfer Rumours - Summer 17

wild-saint

May as well put it on here - I think we'll sign a Fonte replacement this summer (which will cause a meltdown with everyone thinking we're selling Van Dijk), and then we'll sell Van Dijk summer of 2018. We haven't just hoiked his wages up and given him a 6 year deal just to let him go with 5 years left, but we won't allow both Fonte and Van Dijk to leave a gap at the same time, it doesn't give us the continuity we need.

Mlt saying if Liverpool come with the right money in January we'll sell !

it's what we do

No, what we do is hold onto players until we've guaranteed replacements we're satisfied with - it's why the Alderweireld loan-to-buy hijack left us scrambling for a while, because he was clearly part of the longer-term plan.

May as well put it on here - I think we'll sign a Fonte replacement this summer (which will cause a meltdown with everyone thinking we're selling Van Dijk), and then we'll sell Van Dijk summer of 2018. We haven't just hoiked his wages up and given him a 6 year deal just to let him go with 5 years left, but we won't allow both Fonte and Van Dijk to leave a gap at the same time, it doesn't give us the continuity we need.

Exactly!

I reckon if we are to keep Van Dijk for another year, we might have to "do a Spurs/Bale" and keep topping it up at the end of the season.

No, what we do is hold onto players until we've guaranteed replacements we're satisfied with - it's why the Alderweireld loan-to-buy hijack left us scrambling for a while, because he was clearly part of the longer-term plan.

you think we will keep VvD should we receive a record breaking bid for a Saints player this summer?

really?

we sold lallana and shaw after just signing long term deals

you think we will keep VvD should we receive a record breaking bid for a Saints player this summer?

really?

we sold lallana and shaw after just signing long term deals

Summer no, probably not. But we won't sell him in january unless it really is something absurd like £80million.

Getting him to sign that six year deal was one of the best bits of business the club has ever done.

I doubt very much he signed it because he wants to stay for 6 years. I reckon the contract was renegotiated so that Saints were able to ask more for him and so that Virg gets paid more and has the clauses he wants (e.g.- regarding certain clubs bidding for him, Madrid/Barca etc.).

This was my suspicion as well, but after seeing all the paper talk (one thing I have learnt over the last couple of years is there's no smoke without fire) I suspect VVD may go in the summer. Really hope it's not to Liverpool as it's getting embarrassing loosing our best player to them every summer.

Awful business sense, so the club would do it, but I'd sell him to someone in Europe for a cut fee just to ensure he doesn't go to a competitor!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/12/01/ranking-20-best-players-premier-league-november-2016/virgil-van-dijk/

"There is absolutely no way that Southampton won’t make a massive profit on Van Dijk at some point very soon. Tall, strong, great in the air and even better on the ground, he is the ball-playing centre-back of Man Utd’s dreams. Or Arsenal’s. Or Man City’s. Or [insert rich team]’s [repeat]."

I doubt very much he signed it because he wants to stay for 6 years. I reckon the contract was renegotiated so that Saints were able to ask more for him and so that Virg gets paid more and has the clauses he wants (e.g.- regarding certain clubs bidding for him, Madrid/Barca etc.).

He didn't. Even in an interview after he said something like "another couple of years". Who knows if we will even see that extra year.

When he signed the 6 year deal, I just thought we at LEAST get him for this season. Which I'm fine with. I love watching him defend.

We are not going to sell him in January.

Correct. We do not sell in January.

I'm fully consigned to losing him next summer and if he goes to Man City or one of the big Spanish clubs he'll have my blessing as I feel lucky to have had him.

I'll be annoyed if he goes to a Liverpool or Man Utd

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/12/01/ranking-20-best-players-premier-league-november-2016/virgil-van-dijk/

"There is absolutely no way that Southampton won’t make a massive profit on Van Dijk at some point very soon. Tall, strong, great in the air and even better on the ground, he is the ball-playing centre-back of Man Utd’s dreams. Or Arsenal’s. Or Man City’s. Or [insert rich team]’s [repeat]."

No denying this quote. I remember thinking Lovren was fairly special, and then Alderweireld who seemed a step up again, but Virgil Van Diik is almost your complete CB. My hope (forlorn) is we get one more season after this........he has to be a 50 million pound transfer, at least - notwithstanding Stones homegrown status, VVD is so much the better player - from what I've seen Joel Matip is the next best CB in the Prem.

Well Pelle left at the end of the season . Spurs never make huge offers for anyone . I can't remember the exact amount for Mane but it wasn't a huge/stupid bid .

I honestly can't see us turning down 60 million 'if' it was offered .

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Don't forget that there's also a sell on fee to Celtic which is reported at 10% which would reduce any profit that we make on him

Plus factor in our 20% undervaluing of Mane last summer. The big clubs have worked out how to prise away our best far too cheaply. In the past they were able to claim that out talent was unproven. VVD is not in this category. He has to be worth more than the erratic Stones.

Plus factor in our 20% undervaluing of Mane last summer. The big clubs have worked out how to prise away our best far too cheaply. In the past they were able to claim that out talent was unproven. VVD is not in this category. He has to be worth more than the erratic Stones.

Struggling to think who else we've undervalued, I think we've got very good prices for everyone. The only reason we might imagine Mane going for more is because the new TV deal threw out the rulebook, but according to your calculation he was worth £51m, not far off what City paid for De Bruyne.

Not sure what value you are attaching to Mané - is it £30m + 20%, £34.5m +20% or £38.5m +20%? I imagine that it is the £34.5m one, bringing things closer to £40m. The add ons are apparently very easy to meet bringing things up to a supposed £38.5m, and are not based on his performance but rather the club's. Then there is the fact that it was cash up front and not staggered payments (apparently). And then who knows what else is in the contract? What sell on fee there might be, or anything else.

Plus factor in our 20% undervaluing of Mane last summer. The big clubs have worked out how to prise away our best far too cheaply.

The Telegraph reported the deal for Sadio Mane is a figure which could rise to £38.5m. Not very many players in world football history have gone for more.

Which other players are you claiming we sold "far too cheaply"?

The Telegraph reported the deal for Sadio Mane is a figure which could rise to £38.5m. Not very many players in world football history have gone for more.

Which other players are you claiming we sold "far too cheaply"?

clyne and wanyama- but obviously i know it was because of their contract situations- think thats what eelpie means anyway, but obviously we've worked on that by giving many of our players new longer contracts.

So first everyone said we didnt do verbal agreements

Then everyone kinda acknowledged we do

Next everyone denied these release claues

Then this.......

We need new owners and a new set of bôllocks ASAP

It's easy to deny release clauses when we haven't had one for a single player we've sold over the last three years, and that's a fu ck of a lot of sales.

So, kinda acknowledge that we haven't had them, yeah?

2/10.

I doubt he has a release clause at all. Players know that if we receive the right offer then we are happy to accept. There's no need for him to have any release clause.

Why? Rationally if you're a player, you'd want a release clause. It avoids a bidding war which will drive teams out of the market. With a release clause, the player thus has greater choice -and can go to his preferred side rather than the highest bidder which aren't necessarily the same.

It's easy to deny release clauses when we haven't had one for a single player we've sold over the last three years, and that's a fu ck of a lot of sales.

So, kinda acknowledge that we haven't had them, yeah?

2/10.

Player release clauses would kinda explain the ease at which players leave this club and the reletive low end fees we receive on occasions?

Easier to pretend it doesnt happen though hey

Im sure you have a few copies of players contracts to prove it doesnt happen

Player release clauses would kinda explain the ease at which players leave this club and the reletive low end fees we receive on occasions?

Easier to pretend it doesnt happen though hey

Im sure you have a few copies of players contracts to prove it doesnt happen

a4ea568ab4ea4cf26d92a21f1e8c80d6.jpg

To persuade him to commit to signing a long contract. I think this is a true story. However if two clubs start a bidding war we could get a lot more

Is it me or is there a sense of irony here. You get a player to sign a long term contract and then put a low value release clause in the contract!!! So how does that benefit the club? Economics of the mad house :facepalm: