Virgil Transfer Rumours - Summer 17

wild-saint

Virgil van Dijk is wanted by both Manchester City and Chelsea but defender’s preference is to work with Guardiola

The former Celtic centre back has been sounded out by two Premier League giants over a move from Southampton.

Manchester City and Chelsea have sounded out Virgil van Dijk over a move from Southampton.

The Premier League rivals are interested in the former Celtic centre-back, who is expected to leave St Mary's by the summer.

Van Dijk joined Southampton in September 2015 following two Scottish Premiership-winning campaigns at Celtic.

It is understood that the 25-year-old’s current preference would be to work with Pep Guardiola at City.

Any move will earn Celtic 10 per cent cut of the transfer fee due to a sell-on clause being inserted into his contract at St Mary’s.

It has been reported van Dijk also has a £25million buyout clause in his deal, which means Celtic would command another £2.5m on top of the initial £13m they raised from selling the Dutchman to Southampton in the first place.

However, Saints manager Claude Puel has since dismissed the clause, with a £40m valuation now being placed on the defender.

Source: http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/virgil-van-dijk-wanted-both-9450496

Pep wants VVD in January if City's defensive issues persist:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/12/16/manchester-city-consider-virgil-van-dijk-bid-defensive-problems/

There seems to be an underlying assumption that we would just sell in the January window if offered the appropriate amount by one of the big boys of the premier league (40 mill is the appropriate amount according to this article), which irritates me. We don't tend to sell big players in January.

Pep wants VVD in January if City's defensive issues persist:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/12/16/manchester-city-consider-virgil-van-dijk-bid-defensive-problems/

There seems to be an underlying assumption that we would just sell in the January window if offered the appropriate amount by one of the big boys of the premier league (40 mill is the appropriate amount according to this article), which irritates me. We don't tend to sell big players in January.

Not too concerned about that. It's another nothing article. It says "if" City's defensive problems continue over Christmas then City will "consider" making an "offer". So three conditions to Van Dyke going. 1. Their defensive problems may not continue. 2. They will "consider" making an offer (they may not make one). 3. If they make an offer, Saints may well reject it, probably would imo.

Personally I don't think we'll sell Virgil in January or next summer. I think the plan is to make him our next captain and we'll hold onto him for at least another season.

Hopefully! He looks like a natural leader and is clearly the first name on the team sheet.

All depends on Fonte I'd say. I'd be very surprised if we sell our 2 CB's in one transfer window.

Personally I don't think we'll sell Virgil in January or next summer. I think the plan is to make him our next captain and we'll hold onto him for at least another season.

I think that is THE plan. But I'll believe he stays when I see it!

I'm going to enjoy watching him this season & we can see where it goes from here. Ron's agent doesn't exactly feel me with confidence!

This is what I gleaned from my mates today. I don't think it's anything new.

1) Club has told everyone that VvD is going nowhere in Jan' but offers over £50m will be listened to in the summer. VvD has said he wants a move. Players agent involved.

2) City and Chelsea are both very interested but Dippers and Utd think better value elsewhere but that my change depending on UCL qualification.

3) Fonte; they'd heard nothing bar the gossip that he wanted a longer contract etc and was being hawked about my agent. General consensus was Everton maybe stupid enough.

4) Berihino; Stoke still really want him but he as he's free in the summer they expect WHU to wave the biggest wage packet. Stoke are willing to make him joint highest player.

Nothing exciting I'm afraid.

This is what I gleaned from my mates today. I don't think it's anything new.

1) Club has told everyone that VvD is going nowhere in Jan' but offers over £50m will be listened to in the summer. VvD has said he wants a move. Players agent involved.

2) City and Chelsea are both very interested but Dippers and Utd think better value elsewhere but that my change depending on UCL qualification.

3) Fonte; they'd heard nothing bar the gossip that he wanted a longer contract etc and was being hawked about my agent. General consensus was Everton maybe stupid enough.

4) Berihino; Stoke still really want him but he as he's free in the summer they expect WHU to wave the biggest wage packet. Stoke are willing to make him joint highest player.

Nothing exciting I'm afraid.

Good to hear about stuff anyway.

Berahino will have no shortage of interest both home & abroad. As you say, Stoke have wanted him for a very long time. I would add West Ham & Palace to the list of admirers too.

Before he threw his 2 year mega-strop, BIG teams wanted him. Ironically, he's probably better off staying @ WBA.

I am happy with Virgil being with us for a short period as I just appreciate how awesome he is but I will be upset if he does not go to a Real Madrid, Barcelona, Munich or at a push new rich clubs like PSG and City.

He is too good for us and is the best defender in the premier league bar NONE.

If we get 50M for him that is a ROI I would take every day of the week :-)

Edited by Convict Colony
grammar

I wonder how much Van Dijk is on per week? A six-year contract was signed in May. Technically he's under contract until May 2022. It's very rare you see a contract of that length.

I can't see us selling for a penny under 50 million.

I actually think we ought to be holding out for 60 million+ considering the contract situation and that there isn't a better central defender out there. Genuinely think no central defender in the world is better than him.

It is written by Sami Mokbel, IMO he has a very poor record for getting stories about Saints correct.

He is usually WRONG about Timescale; WRONG about the Club; and WRONG about the money.

Here are some of his classics :-

1/ 6th Nov 2012 he told us that Nigel "was in crunch talks" over his job, with comments like :- "could be gone as early as TODAY" and "inevitable that the ex-S****horpe boss will be axed sooner rather than later"

Nigel was still in charge for 2 months later.

He also said that "Swindon manager Paulo Di Canio, ..., could be in line for a move up to the Premier League, if Adkins goes and inevitably former Saints and Cheats manager xxxxxx (cannot mention his name) will be linked with any vacancy."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2228682/Nigel-Adkins-Southampton-talks-future.html

2/ 1st Jan 2013 He told us that Luke was going to Arsenal for £5 Million (It was 18 months later to Utd for £27-32M)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2255426/Arsenal-talk-Southampton-Luke-Shaw-transfer.html

3/ 9th Jan 2013 He told us that Gross or Di Matteo were going to take over, within days Poch took over (? Did he see Les at an Airport and put 2& 2 together and get 5 ?)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2259795/Southampton-consider-Christian-Gross-Roberto-Di-Matteo.html

4/ 20th Jan 2013 He told us that Pochettino lack of English on the Training ground was a problem getting the message across

He also said "Pochettino could be faced with a torrent of ill-will from the St Mary's crowd during his first game in charge against Everton on Monday."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2265624/Southamptons-new-boss-Mauricio-Pochettino-needs-interpreter-speak-English.html

5/ 25th Feb 2013 He told us that Chelsea were "set to land Luke for £10m" (It was 15months later to Utd for 27-32m)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2284192/Chelsea-set-land-10m-Southampton-teenager-Luke-Shaw-replace-Ashley-Cole.html

Real need to think about a replacement for Pepe (soon) and Ramos (in 3 or 4 years). Their embargo is up in the summer. I'd wait and go there.

Real or Barcelona, £50m is peanuts for both. We lost out seeing Gareth Bale to Spurs who then up-loaded him to Real at considerable profit to themselves and of course the three wise Saints forget to write in a sell on clause. Once bitten twice shy so the club should say "nothing doing" to all PL rivals and go for the real big-time bucks once and for all.

Real or Barcelona, £50m is peanuts for both. We lost out seeing Gareth Bale to Spurs who then up-loaded him to Real at considerable profit to themselves and of course the three wise Saints forget to write in a sell on clause. Once bitten twice shy so the club should say "nothing doing" to all PL rivals and go for the real big-time bucks once and for all.

There was a sell on clause for Bale - We ripped it up in exchange for Forecast.

Take a Premier League player who's also an established international. Amongst us mere mortals he is a hero, almost otherworldly in his gifts and abilities on the pitch, but to his peers he is no more otherworldly or gifted than they are. Pretty much to a man they are driving around in fabulously expensive cars and living in large and expensive houses in the most desirable areas whether they play in London, the South Coast or in the North West. Perhaps the only thing that marks a player's status amongst those peers is the size of the wage he gets. In the bubble that they exist in it is probably the only tangible thing that marks their career progression as most other things are taken care of and secured for life.

The club have been scouting Sporting Lisbon's Ruben Semedo over a long period.

Semedo has many similar qualities to van Dijk and is 3 years younger...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yYSbtgGjAA

Ooh, very nice... how about a straight swap with Fonte, allowing him to end his career back home in Portugal on a high and giving Cedric another Portugese buddy ?

Bit rose tinted glasses 'best in world ' yes the guy is awesome but there are little traits to cut out before being one of the very best, granted he is probably at present best in epl

Who is a better all-round centre back than Van Dijk in a back four? Can you name one? I watch a hell of a lot of champions league and European games, big clubs in other leagues and have done for years. There isn't a better centre back that Van Dijk, he won't go for under 50million

A good example is how VVD's making Alderweireld not look close to as good as he once did in the PL. VVD is now considered the best CB in the league, loads of games this season he's stood out massively for us from CB. He's a monster. And VVD's physicality in terms of height, strength and aerial ability/presence is huge compared to Alderweireld. He's faster too and a winner and a leader. He has everything, the complete CB

Edited by FriendlySaint

No reason to sell him in January. Douby we will, if we do then its just for the money but that would be available in the summer too, and the Jan/summer 2018.

Don't think we will either unless someone bids over 60 million considering the length of his contract. I wouldn't sell him for under 70. His contract was a huge six year deal until May 2022. Mane would have cost 60 million on a similar contract

Real need to think about a replacement for Pepe (soon) and Ramos (in 3 or 4 years). Their embargo is up in the summer. I'd wait and go there.

Real already have Jesus Vallejo who is one of the best centre backs in the Bundesliga to replace Pepe this summer, expect their big signing will be an upgrade on Benzema.

Who is a better all-round centre back than Van Dijk in a back four? Can you name one? I watch a hell of a lot of champions league and European games, big clubs in other leagues and have done for years. There isn't a better centre back that Van Dijk, he won't go for under 50million

A good example is how VVD's making Alderweireld not look close to as good as he once did in the PL. VVD is now considered the best CB in the league, loads of games this season he's stood out massively for us from CB. He's a monster. And VVD's physicality in terms of height, strength and aerial ability/presence is huge compared to Alderweireld. He's faster too and a winner and a leader. He has everything, the complete CB

Talk about red & white glasses. There's not much between them , but Toby receives rave reviews from neutrals. He's been injured this season that's the only reason he's not getting much publicity lately, nothing to do with VvD making him making him "not look close to as good as he once did ". Toby can play in midfield & full back & doesn't switch off like VvD does occasionally . I reckon if you took 100 neutrals 50 would pick Toby & 50 VvD ( I would choose Toby btw) , certainly nothing as overwhelming as your post suggest.Hes certainly not considered the best centre half in the league by everyone .

Edited by Lord Duckhunter