Virgil Transfer Rumours - Summer 17

wild-saint

Had it every occurred to anybody that he might actually want to stay here for a few years and help build the champions of tomorrow. In my experience Dutch people are very honest and very loyal and amongst the most honest in the world. I'll wager he is nowhere near as mercenary as some on here and in the media seem to think. Even Les & Kat will not dare to put money first as VVD is the very heart of Puel's new team and without him we really would be a candidate for relegation.

Had it every occurred to anybody that he might actually want to stay here for a few years and help build the champions of tomorrow. In my experience Dutch people are very honest and very loyal and amongst the most honest in the world. I'll wager he is nowhere near as mercenary as some on here and in the media seem to think. Even Les & Kat will not dare to put money first as VVD is the very heart of Puel's new team and without him we really would be a candidate for relegation.
Koeman is Dutch lol

You a deluded if you think he will want to stay should the opportunity to go to a top team and a substantial pay rise occur.

We couldn't keep our captain who was produced as part of our youth system and arguably owed us everything for him being where he is, we will not be able to keep someone of VVD class who arguably owes us nothing.

Doesn't mean hes a mercenary for wanting to leave for a top CL team. If he goes to a club in the city of Liverpool then yes, he is a mercenary.

If (big if as it won't happen) we sold our best player to Everton I would imagine it will be the last straw for most of our fans.

I think Les has done a fantastic job and I can just about stomach loosing players to Liverpool and understand the reasons for letting Koeman walk, but if we were to sell our best player to a direct competitor (if not lower), I would seriously start to doubt the board.

VVD will go, if not this summer then next, I just hope it's to a top team i.e Madrid, Barca ect...

No, it really wouldn't - and there will probably never be a last straw for most fans.

If you support a club, you do so for life. IF we sold VvD to Everton, most fans would be pretty hacked of - but we move on - always. Go back to Ken Monkou, Mark Wright, Dean Richards, Killer, Clause, Lovren even, and many, many more - we go on, irrespective.

Everton can have him for £70 million, but I seriously doubt he'll want to go, even if they throw money at him. Koeman made that sideways (if not downwards) move, but he was given a little nudge, Van Dijk will know his reputation is growing and growing and a truly big club is not beyond him.

I think he may go in the summer, but I'm hoping it will be upwards of £50 million and out of the league, I personally think he is the best centre-back in the league and will get better, I can see him at Madrid or Barca.

If a prem club come knocking then the fee should have £20 million slapped on top instantly, but a Barca or Real then I'd happily sell for £40 million and a promising youngster from them.

:lol:

We always sell cheap so would be surprised if we didn't this time too....

VVD is better than Stones. The funny thing about that sentence is that Stones is really not that good. All hype and no substance.... So VVD is worth 60 plus why would we sell for less???? We are completely in the driving seat... ..

IMO there's more chance of me crapping out solid gold nuggets for the rest of my life than of VVD going to Everton. His consistancy is astonishing and he's still at a great age to improve further. Virgil is going to the very top. The best bit? We got him tied down to a six year contract this year so he leaves when we say so. Fantastic business by the club.

The worst thing? He'll be a ***** to replace. Especially as we'll be looking for 2 CBs as Fonte isn't getting any younger...

There's drivel and then there's drivel.

He's infinitely better than Stones but Stones is English thus the price tag. No way was Sterling worth what they paid either. Man City pay a premium on young english talent.

Realistically you can't expect £60m for a defender. I'd value him more at £40-45m. Hopefully we can keep him till the 2018 summer at which point he'll be approaching his peak and ready for that galactico move.

He's infinitely better than Stones but Stones is English thus the price tag. No way was Sterling worth what they paid either. Man City pay a premium on young english talent.

Realistically you can't expect £60m for a defender. I'd value him more at £40-45m. Hopefully we can keep him till the 2018 summer at which point he'll be approaching his peak and ready for that galactico move.

Why can't you expect £60 for one of the best defenders in the world?

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Why can't you expect £60 for one of the best defenders in the world?

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Napoli rejected £60m for koulibaily in the summer and Bonnucci is rated at £60m+. That's before you get into the current defenders in their prime at big clubs.

We sold mane around the same price as sissoko.

VvD will not go for £60m

Sissoko was overpriced as hell.Crazy there even was two interested buyers at that price..

Mané price was marketvalue at that time, but he has improved and is probably worth a couple of million pounds more today.

Napoli rejected £60m for koulibaily in the summer and Bonnucci is rated at £60m+. That's before you get into the current defenders in their prime at big clubs.

I dont believe that for a second. All these numbers the media, agents and clubs throw around are a bunch of nonsense really. Same with the 'bidding' nonsense, there are no such thing as bidding wars for players. Its just a matter of offering higher wages cause the player picks where he wants to go, not the club.

Virgil is earning how much? 2/3m a year? Well multiply that with how much years he got left on his contract and add 150% of his last transfer fee. Basic rule of what a player is worth and then 40 million sounds about right. Other factors can jack up the price a bit more (merchandise sales, transfer window summer/winter, performance on international tournaments etc) but 40 million would be a fair and good deal for him in the summer, 50 if anyone comes knocking this winter.

40m would get him in the top 3 highest transfers ever for defenders and the highest fee ever for a Dutch player. Im a massive Virgil fan but that already makes is sound ridiculous to me.

60m are De Bruyne, Di Maria, James fees, thats not realistic. If Napoli rejected that for Koulibaly then they are ****ing crazy.

Sissoko was overpriced as hell.Crazy there even was two interested buyers at that price..

Mané price was marketvalue at that time, but he has improved and is probably worth a couple of million pounds more today.

He couldn't have been over priced as two teams were willing to pay it

Surely a release clause triggers tranfer activity. If there are two or more clubs interested then they all fight it out. We are not bound to sell to any club that meets the release figure.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Man City make a bid. They do things on a fairly low key basis and they have struggled with Kompany for some time now. VvD would seem to be a great fit for them and they certainly have the money to make it happen if they decide to.

I would imagine somewhere 45-50 mill.

http://metro.co.uk/2016/11/30/liverpool-will-blow-everton-out-of-the-water-to-sign-southampton-defender-virgil-van-dijk-6291965/

According to Micky on talk****e( yeah I know) Liverpool are prepared to blow Everton and their 40million out of the water to land VVD. I suspect he is just on a wind up but I bet VVDs agent is licking his lips at the prospect of several big clubs ( and Everton) courting VVD.

Surely a release clause triggers tranfer activity. If there are two or more clubs interested then they all fight it out. We are not bound to sell to any club that meets the release figure.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Man City make a bid. They do things on a fairly low key basis and they have struggled with Kompany for some time now. VvD would seem to be a great fit for them and they certainly have the money to make it happen if they decide to.

I would imagine somewhere 45-50 mill.

It would be gutting to see him go for less than Stones but guess that's the English premium thing.

Cheers to ADutchSaint above, sort of what I was asking yesterday, looks like people expecting 60m-70m are going to be disappointed.

looks like people expecting 60m-70m are going to be disappointed.

I'd guess most aren't expecting £60-70m, more that if the club are serious about keeping him a bit longer, and he doesn't have a release clause, then by slapping a massive figure out, while reminding everyone about the length of his contract, they may just fend off bids.

Or some crazy big club decides he's worth going balls-out for...?

I'd guess most aren't expecting £60-70m, more that if the club are serious about keeping him a bit longer, and he doesn't have a release clause, then by slapping a massive figure out, while reminding everyone about the length of his contract, they may just fend off bids.

Or some crazy big club decides he's worth going balls-out for...?

That assumes the club don't want bids...

I dont believe that for a second. All these numbers the media, agents and clubs throw around are a bunch of nonsense really. Same with the 'bidding' nonsense, there are no such thing as bidding wars for players. Its just a matter of offering higher wages cause the player picks where he wants to go, not the club.

Virgil is earning how much? 2/3m a year? Well multiply that with how much years he got left on his contract and add 150% of his last transfer fee. Basic rule of what a player is worth and then 40 million sounds about right. Other factors can jack up the price a bit more (merchandise sales, transfer window summer/winter, performance on international tournaments etc) but 40 million would be a fair and good deal for him in the summer, 50 if anyone comes knocking this winter.

40m would get him in the top 3 highest transfers ever for defenders and the highest fee ever for a Dutch player. Im a massive Virgil fan but that already makes is sound ridiculous to me.

60m are De Bruyne, Di Maria, James fees, thats not realistic. If Napoli rejected that for Koulibaly then they are ****ing crazy.

If a team were to swoop in for an important player like VVD, presumably having already tapped him up via his agent so that he designates them as the team he wants to go to, I would not be looking for a fair deal. I'd want to take them to the cleaners.

We aren't as big a club as Napoli, hence they have more bargaining power and can slap £60m-£70m price tags. It explains why Klopp said that it was easier to buy Mane from Saints then it would have been if he was at Dortmund.

For example, if we had a Higuain type player regularly scoring, we would probably sell him for £45m, but Napoli can exert power and sell him for like £75m which they did.

I do gather this isn't always the case e.g. Dortmund losing Lewandowski on a free/other examples

We will sell if we get at £40m I reckon, still presenting a £30m profit, so don't expect a £60m transfer- this would only happen if there was a bidding war, but even then I only see City willing to part with that much.

I'll bury my head in the sand and hope he'll realise he still has a lot to learn here for a few more seasons. Next season he'll be fulltime captain, I'm guessing. If we manage to have a promising season this year and look to want to do business and keep our other best, I can see it happening.

At least I can see it in my dreams.

If a team were to swoop in for an important player like VVD, presumably having already tapped him up via his agent so that he designates them as the team he wants to go to, I would not be looking for a fair deal. I'd want to take them to the cleaners.

Well maybe i think that way because i do business that way, i learned pretty quickly that its better to get a fair deal for all parties then to try and squeeze everything out of it and deals fail. That only causes issues in the future and what ever you sell or lose in the deal, there's always more out there.

40m in the summer or 50m this winter is a ****load of money for a defender, the club gets a good return on their investment and can put that money to good use with getting a replacement (and there are many options out there) and do what ever else, the player gets a pay raise and the move he wants and the buying club has the player they want. Win, win, win really.

Plus delivering players to the top clubs in the world is the best PR you can get. Just like we do with our academy, there's a pathway to the first team and for players coming from outside the club i think the club should make it clear that we are a pathway to the top for players. And hopefully the club can grow to the status of a top club one day while delivering players.

As long players from outside the club weren't dreaming of playing for the club when they were young kids then you will be never be able to hold those players for long. So why not take advantage of that and show that its probably better to come to Southampton as a young and talented player for a few years then sitting on the bench at City, United or what ever club.

We aren't as big a club as Napoli, hence they have more bargaining power and can slap £60m-£70m price tags. It explains why Klopp said that it was easier to buy Mane from Saints then it would have been if he was at Dortmund.

For example, if we had a Higuain type player regularly scoring, we would probably sell him for £45m, but Napoli can exert power and sell him for like £75m which they did.

I do gather this isn't always the case e.g. Dortmund losing Lewandowski on a free/other examples

We will sell if we get at £40m I reckon, still presenting a £30m profit, so don't expect a £60m transfer- this would only happen if there was a bidding war, but even then I only see City willing to part with that much.

You are overestimating Napoli really, they arent that much bigger then us. Historically yes but not in figures. They pay lower average wages, they have lower annual revenues and they dont sell more tickets. They were able to sell Higuain for that amount because they paid 30+m for him and 5m or so in wages every year. Juve needed a striker after selling Morata and Juve has the cash. Plus Higuain is a name who sells and not to mention and he had a insanely good season.

For example if we would have bought Mané for 30+m and he became one of the top scorers in the league then you would be looking at figures like 60/70m as well. Thats why Everton can demand 60m or what ever for Lukaku even in a ****ty year, they already paid half of that amount when they bought him. And we paid 12m? or so for Mané. Thats the difference. We wont sell players for 45m when we bought them for 30m and with 3/4m annual wage. Just like we wont sell Boufal when he comes good for 25 or 30m.

And of course its easier to buy players from us then Dortmund, they play in a different league and are a giant club who double our annual revenue.

Barcelona, Real Madrid should be VVD's target. Saints should state that they won't sell to a PL club. That would jack the price up.

No, it would just seriously **** off Virgil I expect and mean that if Barca or Real are interested they are likely to offer a much smaller amount.

Well maybe i think that way because i do business that way, i learned pretty quickly that its better to get a fair deal for all parties then to try and squeeze everything out of it and deals fail. That only causes issues in the future and what ever you sell or lose in the deal, there's always more out there.

40m in the summer or 50m this winter is a ****load of money for a defender, the club gets a good return on their investment and can put that money to good use with getting a replacement (and there are many options out there) and do what ever else, the player gets a pay raise and the move he wants and the buying club has the player they want. Win, win, win really.

Plus delivering players to the top clubs in the world is the best PR you can get. Just like we do with our academy, there's a pathway to the first team and for players coming from outside the club i think the club should make it clear that we are a pathway to the top for players. And hopefully the club can grow to the status of a top club one day while delivering players.

As long players from outside the club weren't dreaming of playing for the club when they were young kids then you will be never be able to hold those players for long. So why not take advantage of that and show that its probably better to come to Southampton as a young and talented player for a few years then sitting on the bench at City, United or what ever club.

You are overestimating Napoli really, they arent that much bigger then us. Historically yes but not in figures. They pay lower average wages, they have lower annual revenues and they dont sell more tickets. They were able to sell Higuain for that amount because they paid 30+m for him and 5m or so in wages every year. Juve needed a striker after selling Morata and Juve has the cash. Plus Higuain is a name who sells and not to mention and he had a insanely good season.

For example if we would have bought Mané for 30+m and he became one of the top scorers in the league then you would be looking at figures like 60/70m as well. Thats why Everton can demand 60m or what ever for Lukaku even in a ****ty year, they already paid half of that amount when they bought him. And we paid 12m? or so for Mané. Thats the difference. We wont sell players for 45m when we bought them for 30m and with 3/4m annual wage. Just like we wont sell Boufal when he comes good for 25 or 30m.

And of course its easier to buy players from us then Dortmund, they play in a different league and are a giant club who double our annual revenue.

You don't understand how Saintsweb works. The fair market value of any player is always £10m more than we sold him for.

VVD is indispensible at the moment. In the past few years, Fonte was indispensible and whoever playing along side with Fonte would come good (Lovren, ALD and VVD). But now, it appears that whoever playing along side with VVD will come better. You can see Yoshida who plays with VVD is a much better Yoshida who plays with Fonte. Therefore, it is high time for us to build our defence around VVD, instead of Fonte. Keep VVD for whatever costs!