Puel out

Lastman73

Think the big issue with Puel is the style of football he has implemented - an obvious point probably but specifically...

When it is good, it's very good. The style is such that when all the players deliver a top performance, it's very difficult for the opposition to live with and as a result, some of the games we have won have been really good performances to boot. Earlier in the season we were missing the type of striker that Puel really wanted to fit the system, so a few good displays ended up not being turned into wins too.

The problem for me is that if a few players aren't 100% on top of their game, which is normal for most games, the style requires things to be so perfect that the performance dips dramatically and we look very average all of a sudden, our game becomes very predictable and we're easy to play against.

This is the biggest issue - Puel doesn't then seem to be able to change style in game to do something different. So pretty much any game we don't play superbly we don't win, can hardly thing of any examples where we have won without playing particularly well and clearly you can't play brilliantly week in week out.

The loss of VVD has hardly helped - feel certain we would have a few more points and very possibly a cup win too if he had stayed fit - Puel would be viewed quite differently then.

Bit of a ramble, but essentially I'm not that fussed if he stays or goes. If he stays, he needs to learn the lessons of this year and I think he quite possibly could, he seems like a smart guy. If he goes, I'm sure there are plenty of decent options out there who could do a very good job for us too.

Big summer ahead across the whole club - players, management, board

Something is brewing I think, but I just hope the 'new' owners (if it happens) aren't the sort who will just fly names about and advertise interest in anything that moves. I kinda like how we do things at the moment (bar the selling..!)

I've got a feeling a lot of those who have been calling for Kat/Les/Ralph to go the last few years are going to realise just how lucky we were the last few years if these new owners take over...

I was told on Sunday that for the first time in the clubs history we are about to complete a season without winning a home match on a Saturday (in league or cup), ok that is not a fair comparison as so many games are on a Sunday now but that is quite a stat.

Saturday games;

Watford - draw

Sunderland - draw

Liverpool - draw

WBA - lose

Arsenal - lose

West Ham - lose

Bournemouth - draw

Man City - lose

Hull - draw

Shocking stat,what price would you have got on that at the start of the season?

I've got a feeling a lot of those who have been calling for Kat/Les/Ralph to go the last few years are going to realise just how lucky we were the last few years if these new owners take over...

I agree and think they just want someone to come in and splash the cash on transfers and wages but they may be very disspointed.

I much prefer the controlled way we operate now and understand we won`t become world beaters overnight but perhaps i `m a happy clappy ;)

I must admit, I'm very very nervous about the intentions and strength behind them. Careful what you wish for and all that.

I agree and think they just want someone to come in and splash the cash on transfers and wages but they may be very disspointed.

I much prefer the controlled way we operate now and understand we won`t become world beaters overnight but perhaps i `m a happy clappy ;)

Bullshine and lazy posting thats complete rubbish and you know it. There is a minority that always want to stir thats not changed since SISA but most that have been complaining on here have stated reasons - I have not seen one post that wants us to be world beaters, the majority do realise how lucky we have been since Marcus/Kat took over just this year there have been some big howlers that the happy clappers ignore....shall we talk about Stuart Taylor thats a favourite of mine!

Ive said all along I'd only want new owners to come in, if they keep current structure (i.e Les).

Unfortunately for us to proceed we will need further investment and I don't think Kat has this. Which I think she has pretty much confirmed herself.

Les / board members will have targets to act within the means of the owner. If further investment comes and targets change, so will the way Les acts in the transfer market.

Think the big issue with Puel is the style of football he has implemented - an obvious point probably but specifically...

When it is good, it's very good. The style is such that when all the players deliver a top performance, it's very difficult for the opposition to live with and as a result, some of the games we have won have been really good performances to boot. Earlier in the season we were missing the type of striker that Puel really wanted to fit the system, so a few good displays ended up not being turned into wins too.

The problem for me is that if a few players aren't 100% on top of their game, which is normal for most games, the style requires things to be so perfect that the performance dips dramatically and we look very average all of a sudden, our game becomes very predictable and we're easy to play against.

This is the biggest issue - Puel doesn't then seem to be able to change style in game to do something different. So pretty much any game we don't play superbly we don't win, can hardly thing of any examples where we have won without playing particularly well and clearly you can't play brilliantly week in week out.

The loss of VVD has hardly helped - feel certain we would have a few more points and very possibly a cup win too if he had stayed fit - Puel would be viewed quite differently then.

Bit of a ramble, but essentially I'm not that fussed if he stays or goes. If he stays, he needs to learn the lessons of this year and I think he quite possibly could, he seems like a smart guy. If he goes, I'm sure there are plenty of decent options out there who could do a very good job for us too.

Big summer ahead across the whole club - players, management, board

100% this, although I can't see it being a 'big' summer, personally.

We all know that Crook just reads everyone else's stories and then puts one together himself. I think all this 'chat' came from that L'Equipe article, but then wasn't that just speculating anyway?

Still, no smoke without fire and all that.

I've translated the actual article

https://www.lequipe.fr/Football/Actualites/Claude-puel-sera-t-il-la-pour-une-deuxieme-saison-a-southampton/797506

The actual article contains some errors (like saying our match against Hull was 1-1 rather than 0-0) but there are zero sources at all and it seems to be merely speculating if he will be in charge, rather than offering anything concrete.

I've also translated the comments

Did you translate all the comments or only the ones you agree with ?

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

I could have written that myself :)

"...the man regarded in his homeland as Arsene Wenger's protegé" ? I see a solution coming up. If only we could persuade Wenger to stand down.

said the same a while back. Could be great timing. Would have him in a flash. Thierry as striker consultant. David Seaman as goalie coach (with a keeper). Or just bumble on with old 'interesting' chops as the trickle of players to the out door continues. Mind you, maybe we need a young, charismatic manager instead. What's the Hoffenheim dialling code? (as if)

They won't because there is no response to it. With this group of players he's doing a decent job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You both fail to realize that you can't force fans to like him . You can mention anything you like but you are in the minority here .

Poch was way superior to Puel and you both know it . You can keep mentioning us being in 9th but its not the end of the season yet and chances are we could just as easily finish in 16th . You ignore this because it doesn't fit your agenda .

You both fail to realize that you can't force fans to like him . You can mention anything you like but you are in the minority here .

Poch was way superior to Puel and you both know it . You can keep mentioning us being in 9th but its not the end of the season yet and chances are we could just as easily finish in 16th . You ignore this because it doesn't fit your agenda .

What part of my post where I said Poch was clearly a better manager did you not understand. You just ignored it because it didn't suit your agenda. The point I was making was if Poch, a better manager, could only get a group of better players to 8th, why on earth do people think Puel can do as well with this bunch. Perhaps you think Poch underachieved. But if you think he did a great or good job with that group, judge Puel against that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

100% this, although I can't see it being a 'big' summer, personally.

A relatively quiet summer would be fine for me, retaining our players, a couple of additions, keep Puel and hope he improves in second season now he's had a year to bed in.

However, if we get taken over, sell VVD, Bertrand and Soares and bin off Puel there is quite a lot to get right in order to be successful next season!

I'm a ST its not been much worse than previous seasons for entertainment some good games some **** ones (winning normally being the correlation between the two). I haven't been bored at many games more than frustrated at how many bloody chances we haven't put away.

Sorry but I have to disagree with this. I have had a ST ever since we moved to SMS and this season has been by far the worst for entertainment imo. Of course every season you have some dull games but this year I struggle to think of more than three home games I have really enjoyed, the whole mentality of the team under Puel is just so negative.

It was notable on Saturday that near the end when Hull had a corner, JRod was looking towards the bench to see if CP wanted him to stay forward, but Puel waved him back to defend meaning we had no one in a forward position in the event of a counter attack. That to me just sums the guy up.

I hate sacking managers and really wanted it to work with Puel so we had some stability, but I have to say reluctantly I am in the Puel Out camp. The thought of having to sit through another season of slow, backwards football is frightening. He seems like a decent bloke, and not a terrible manager, but he's just not right for us.

Sorry but I have to disagree with this. I have had a ST ever since we moved to SMS and this season has been by far the worst for entertainment imo. Of course every season you have some dull games but this year I struggle to think of more than three home games I have really enjoyed, the whole mentality of the team under Puel is just so negative.

It was notable on Saturday that near the end when Hull had a corner, JRod was looking towards the bench to see if CP wanted him to stay forward, but Puel waved him back to defend meaning we had no one in a forward position in the event of a counter attack. That to me just sums the guy up.

I hate sacking managers and really wanted it to work with Puel so we had some stability, but I have to say reluctantly I am in the Puel Out camp. The thought of having to sit through another season of slow, backwards football is frightening. He seems like a decent bloke, and not a terrible manager, but he's just not right for us.

So how mad would you have been if we conceded from that late corner? Also Koeman did the same thing I use to complain that we never left Mane up field at opposition corners to break on teams if the ball fell kindly.

I think it was Erick Black stood up doing the waving at that point, not Puel. But I did see Jay Rod looking for instruction.

That said, his role was to mark their chap who kept making the near-post runs and, funnily enough, he won the header that they then nearly scored from. Seeing as no one else was marking him, it's probably a good job Jay did stay back!

It hasn't worked, it's fine for the club to get one wrong, admit it and rectify their mistake.

We can't always strike gold.

You make it sound like we escaped relegation by the skin of our teeth. It could have been better (it can always be better unless you win the league) but mid table and a cup final is a decent return for a club like ours.

So how mad would you have been if we conceded from that late corner? Also Koeman did the same thing I use to complain that we never left Mane up field at opposition corners to break on teams if the ball fell kindly.

"Why don't we leave more players up the pitch when we defend corners" has been said about every Saints manager I can ever remember.

Well as he didn't change anything tactically all game that was hardly likely was it ? :-) I am with you and annoys the hell out of me as the ball just comes straight back.

And we could finish in 8th place.

You're right, I'm not saying the fans HAVE to like him. Like that idiot who thinks Nigel Adkins did nothing for us, whoever that is... :uhoh:

"Why don't we leave more players up the pitch when we defend corners" has been said about every Saints manager I can ever remember.

I remember discussing this with Ivan Golac. He said that as a manager he liked to leave three players up front so that the other team would have to keep four back to counter them.

You make it sound like we escaped relegation by the skin of our teeth. It could have been better (it can always be better unless you win the league) but mid table and a cup final is a decent return for a club like ours.

We're only mid table AT THE MOMENT. Three points off 16th with Liverpool and Arsenal up next. It might very well be escaping relegation by not much

Lets face it, it was always going to be a dull season because Puel was the only guy who agreed to be a yes man to Reed and that was why he was employed.

Reed obviously does not want a manager who calls the shots and this is why we ended up with mediocre Puel.

Lets face it, it was always going to be a dull season because Puel was the only guy who agreed to be a yes man to Reed and that was why he was employed.

Reed obviously does not want a manager who calls the shots and this is why we ended up with mediocre Puel.

Facts ? Nope, just speculation.... you have no proof that Reed wants yes men ..... none at all...

I would like to see a change for next season, I have not been happy with Puel all season was not keen on the change of formation or the style of play. He has managed to cling on this season several times we have lost 3/4 games in a row and just as the pressure builds we have got a result that has bought him more time.

It is fair to say that a significant number of supporters are not happy with him, there is some player unrest and for much of the season it has been poor to watch. The Saints fans I know are a fairly level headed lot and not one of them wants Puel next season

And we could finish in 8th place.

You're right, I'm not saying the fans HAVE to like him. Like that idiot who thinks Nigel Adkins did nothing for us, whoever that is... :uhoh:

Like we could still be relegated

Like we could still be relegated

Not really.

Finishing in 8th is reasonably likely. Probably less than 50%, but not an outrageous suggestion.

The idea that we will be relegated is completely outrageous. Less than 1% chance I expect.

So nothing like at all.

In the same way that Mane is like Ali Dia, on the one hand, (African footballer, plays as a forward, played for Saints) but nothing "like" Ali Dia on the other (clearly far, far better, unless you are a completely clueless cretin).

Edited by benjii

Facts ? Nope, just speculation.... you have no proof that Reed wants yes men ..... none at all...

As you well know, it was mentioned by the media at the time of Puels appointment that he was happy to let Reed handle the transfers and also happy to fall in with saints youth policy and this is why Pellegrini did not get the job.

As you well know, it was mentioned by the media at the time of Puels appointment that he was happy to let Reed handle the transfers and also happy to fall in with saints youth policy and this is why Pellegrini did not get the job.

I see he is ripping up the Chinese super league now played 30 won 11 finished 7th in a league of 16...

Not really.

Finishing in 8th is reasonably likely. Probably less than 50%, but not an outrageous suggestion.

The idea that we will be relegated is completely outrageous. Less than 1% chance I expect.

So nothing like at all.

In the same way that Mane is like Ali Dia, on the one hand, (African footballer, plays as a forward, played for Saints) but nothing "like" Ali Dia on the other (clearly far, far better, unless you are a completely clueless cretin).

The fact is we could still be relegated!

it will be a disgrace if Puel goes. He hasnt had time to get the team together to his wishes.

LM got relegated in his first season, Im so glad the board didnt buckle to the fans then.

The best we can ever get now is 7th unless the bigger clubs take their eyes off the ball again like they did for the previous 3 seasons. We had our chance for real glory when had we invested instead of selling we may have pushed on. Now we haev to fight to stay in the middle part of the table, and hope for good cup runs.

Puel got us to a final and all the great feeling that went with it, he should be given the chance to do similar again.

If Puel did great after match interviews by telling the fans how great they are he would have lots behind him, but all it seems to matter is that he is not a big personality.

What a load of garbage. Have you been to St Marys this season? I couldn't care less what his interviews are like if we are playing decent stuff. We have no obvious style and are becoming increasingly boring to watch. His substitutions are poor and they rarely influence the game. Why not try Long up front with Gabbiadini on Saturday? Instead he just made a like for like substitution. Probably because he was worried we would concede and lose the game. Far too negative.

The fact is we could still be relegated!

But it's nothing like the prospect of finishing 8th.

The fact is that any club could still be relegated for a number of non-sporting reasons but no one mentions it because it is minimally likely to happen. We have no realistic chance of being relegated. In fact, any of the big six getting relegated for some sort of rule infringement is probably more likely than us getting relegated on league points alone this season.

So, it was a completely pointless point to make, and worthy of some derision.

But it's nothing like the prospect of finishing 8th.

The fact is that any club could still be relegated for a number of non-sporting reasons but no one mentions it because it is minimally likely to happen. We have no realistic chance of being relegated. In fact, any of the big six getting relegated for some sort of rule infringement is probably more likely than us getting relegated on league points alone this season.

So, it was a completely pointless point to make, and worthy of some derision.

No its not at all you said we could finish 8th , I said we could get relegated no difference at all !

Lol it's not like you don't speculate and put words in others mouths is it?

Of course, the word 'perspective' is a bit complicated for the small minded but most other people will understand.

This from the guy blubbering like a baby every sodding week about what a TV pundit says about us.

I believe Claude will still be our manager next season. Club to back him in the summer by keeping and signing the players he wants. He has done ok in his first ever season in the toughest league in the world and a new culture.

Good news IMO.

The 'keeping players he wants' line is interesting.

I believe Claude will still be our manager next season. Club to back him in the summer by keeping and signing the players he wants. He has done ok in his first ever season in the toughest league in the world and a new culture.

Good. A little bit of stability is required imo.

After a series of very good appointments I'm not too bothered that we got this one wrong. It was a worthy appointment and normally I'd say that one season is not enough, however in this case I've seen enough (too much!) already and it is clear that the team is going backwards and the tactics/formations/substitutions are predictable and ineffective. The signings have been hit and miss. We're now less than the sum of our parts. He'll be gone soon, I think we'll pull another rabbit out of the hat, someone less dogmatic about playing a certain way all the time.