Puel out

Lastman73

Now you're unwittingly or wilfully conflating issues: your claim isnt that we should have gone through based on the superiority of our squad; its that based on performances, we had plenty of opportunities to win games (Prague being a case in point) and thus qualify.

So what if we had 70% possession, we never looked like scoring despite chasing the game for over 80 mins. Prague got an early goal, they didn't need to press or take risks, so the fact they managed 3 shots on target had as much to do with the game situation and is largely irrelevant.

This is not an anti-possession argument. There are plenty of times this season where we've dominated possession and been desperately unlucky (Hull (a), Swansea (a), Everton (a), Leicester (a) etc). But Prague is not an example -and just makes those defending it look like the types who'd insist the Emperor was wearing clothes (fwiw the Prague supporters were over the moon because by beating us, they qualified as group winners, not because they had got away with daylight robbery).

You remind me of a less ludicrous The9 who believes to this day that we were a Yoshida header and post away from qualifying and vindicating everything Puel had done. Horses**t. Over a six game campaign, we should have never been in a position where we reliant on such margins. There was nothing unlucky about our elimination.

Christ, you're weird.

It seems to be an age old dilemma. "Surely professional players will always give their all? You don't get to that level unless your the sort of person who always gives 100%." That's pretty obviously untrue to me. Look at Chelsea and Mourinho last season, and Leicester this season. End of the day it's up to Les, are we going to ship out the manager, or the players the manager feels aren't putting the effort and belief into his system.

Coz you're talking ****. My pleasure pal.

I wasn't, pal.

I said we should have got out of the group. I mean "should" in the sense that it was an underachievement not to. Do you disagree?

The Prague game is, whilst a sample of one and therefore not at all statistically significant, at least some evidence that even when we played ****, the opposition had very little to offer. I think that reinforces the suggestion that we "should" have got out of the group because if we had played a bit nearer a reasonable standard, for us, we would have beaten them.

With the attacking players we have, we "should" have been able to manage a goal in one of our away games.

I don't think you disagree.

I think you're just being a supercilious ****, pal.

Good grief, this thread has exploded. I couldn't be bothered to read through the dross, but I'm sure it's full of anti-Puel drivel fueled by a recent down turn of a team at the beach not doing well against motivated teams with everything to play for.

Any news if Bertrand has head-butted Puel, or vice versa? :lol:

Good grief, this thread has exploded. I couldn't be bothered to read through the dross, but I'm sure it's full of anti-Puel drivel fueled by a recent down turn of a team at the beach not doing well against motivated teams with everything to play for.

No but there might have been a rumour that Fonte wanted out after Puel knobbed his wife...

K

Apparently Puel had a go at him.... real face to face stuff. Bertrand tried to butt him but missed! Not Puels fault he did everything he could to set it up but he can't be held responsible when players miss a blatant opportunity.

Any news if Bertrand has head-butted Puel, or vice versa? [emoji38]

Damn, I wish I had followed your lead, unfortunately I twas the whole lot. Just to update you, it would appear that all of the season ticket holders on here won't be renewing. Nor will any others who sit within two hundred metres of them. SMS will be virtually empty next season. Oh apparently a good few players have dissented and said they have no faith in the manager. Nothing on the press yet, but set to be all over social media soon, allegedly.

Apart from that, everything is fine.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Damn, I wish I had followed your lead, unfortunately I twas the whole lot. Just to update you, it would appear that all of the season ticket holders on here won't be renewing. Nor will any others who sit within two hundred metres of them. SMS will be virtually empty next season. Oh apparently a good few players have dissented and said they have no faith in the manager. Nothing on the press yet, but set to be all over social media soon, allegedly.

Apart from that, everything is fine.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Seem to have dropped a clanger. I renewed.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Both have now lost a testicle after a particular nasty grapple after rolling around on the floor. Think it started with a throat grab......again.

There was me thinking the point of a season ticket was to go and watch the club you support, not the manager.

I can't buy a season ticket because I can only make a few games because of location, but when I did I went because I supported Southampton, not just because of who was in the dugout...

Wouldn't be surprised to see him quit or be sacked if we lose ground in the league in the run in, personally I don't rate his tactics, or the way he comes across in his interview's hardly inspiring stuff to the fans...... wonder how he motivates players to perform?? and just how much influence Eric Black has in team selection tactics etc.

One thing that really irritates me during listening to his interviews (when they haven't sent me to sleep) are the constant nasally discharges he does as though he has trouble breathing, its really annoying, has anyone else noticed that??? its in every interview he does.......

Regards the season ticket renewal dilemma i am deciding at the end of the season, although after Saturday's disappointing performance i'm sure the style of football played under Puel throughout the majority of this season would try the patience of most Saints.

In the past you could see the manager (Poch and Koeman) having a plan to improve us thus I fear this season we seem to be heading the opposite way and unfortunately I can't see him turning it around, if he does stay, this summer will be a massive transfer window for us as surely the annual player exodus will happen and getting in the right replacements will be a challenge im not sure Puel/Les can get right this time.

Recent downturn that's lasted the majority of the season. We are lucky that there has been some poor teams in the league this year otherwise we'd be right in the relegation scrap.Can anyone actually say they've been inspired by the football we've played.

Daily Mail reporting we keeping an eye on Silva :lol:

It is like they read here

If , and at the moment it is only if, we part company with Puel then the obvious contender as far as the press are concerned is Silva who they know will have other offers than Hull. A flaw in this theory though is that we don't go for the obvious stand out candidate and are likely to have another 'Les list' at the ready.

No but there might have been a rumour that Fonte wanted out after Puel knobbed his wife...

:lol:

Badgers onto something here. Fonte was a mainstay of the squad, captain, well respected by all, settled in the area, seemingly happy here...... in swans some smooth talking gallic lothario puffing on a gauloise and spouting existential philosophy and off goes Jose. Coincidence? I think not.

In terms of what we have seen this season, I'm in two minds about Puel, and can see arguments both ways. But what we don't know is what is happening off the field. Some of the reports coming out could just be rumours with little substance, equally they could point to a big problem.

I imagine Reed would be quite stubborn in admitting defeat over an appointment, so if Puel leaves it will suggest a major problem and disconnect between him and the players (not just one or two), and therefore it will be the right decision to get rid of him. If we stick with Puel, it doesn't necessarily mean it's the right decision though!

Put simply , a top Chef can make a great meal out of average ingredients.

Same applies to Football Managers .

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

That's funny all the chefs I watch on the telly always tell you to use the best quality ingredients for best results...

In terms of what we have seen this season, I'm in two minds about Puel, and can see arguments both ways. But what we don't know is what is happening off the field. Some of the reports coming out could just be rumours with little substance, equally they could point to a big problem.

I imagine Reed would be quite stubborn in admitting defeat over an appointment, so if Puel leaves it will suggest a major problem and disconnect between him and the players (not just one or two), and therefore it will be the right decision to get rid of him. If we stick with Puel, it doesn't necessarily mean it's the right decision though!

If Puel 'resigns' because of his wife's inability to settle, then Les comes out of it ok.

Imagine Puel losing at home to Sunderland lol

I enjoyed my coach journey back having watched Puel's Saints knock four past Sunderland. In the minds of the knee jerk brigade on here, presumably this immediately rules out the Great Marco Silva......?

Is the new benchmark "at least were not as bad as Hull"

We drew at home to Sunderland.... Puel must be good

Today's results increase the chances of a top eight finish, four points off eighth place with two games in hand. And a cup final. You must be devastated. Good luck in your home game against Cheltenham later today, hope you enjoy League One next season.

Today's results increase the chances of a top eight finish, four points off eighth place with two games in hand. And a cup final. You must be devastated. Good luck in your home game against Cheltenham later today, hope you enjoy League One next season.

Two games in hand versus top 6 teams. How many wins have we got against teams that high up this season?

There is a high chance we could equal the amount of losses we had in our relegation year. Of you think that means a good season then fair play to you. Personally I would say losing nearly 50% of your games is pretty bad.

Two games in hand versus top 6 teams. How many wins have we got against teams that high up this season?

There is a high chance we could equal the amount of losses we had in our relegation year. Of you think that means a good season then fair play to you. Personally I would say losing nearly 50% of your games is pretty bad.

But you have form Saint Benali don't you? Check out your posts in July 2014 when you told everyone we wouldn't maintain Poch 8th position. We didn't... we finished 7th. Then 6th. So you are kind of half glass empty aren't you?

Be good for you to clarify whether or not you think 8th and a cup final is a damn good season? Then we can find out in three weeks time how happy you are.

But you have form Saint Benali don't you? Check out your posts in July 2014 when you told everyone we wouldn't maintain Poch 8th position. We didn't... we finished 7th. Then 6th. So you are kind of half glass empty aren't you?

Be good for you to clarify whether or not you think 8th and a cup final is a damn good season? Then we can find out in three weeks time how happy you are.

You are going to a lot of trouble doing your research for an occasional poster on this site.

Just saying.

If we finish 8th I would say that is an ok season. But it isn't really about our league position for me. These are the teams we have beat

West Brom

Palace

Watford

Sunderland

Leicester

Bournemouth

Borough

Everton

West Ham

Not exactly a stellar list is it? Especially when most of those teams also beat us? If we finish 8th I will be amazed. But it's more about the football we play and at times its been awful. We have had many games without even having a shot on goal. Mopo proved me wrong and has gone on to be one of the best young managers out there. I hope Puel can too. As you mentioned I was skeptical going into the final run of games that season and I am again this season.

So on the flip side if we don't finish 8th, say we finish 12th or lower will you still consider that good?

But what about super Marco today....... :scared:

I didnt watch the game and assume you didn't either?

Hard therefore to comment.

I also don't judge players or managers on single games, prefer to rate and review over a period of games.

Hull should be dead by now, the fact they have even a fighting chance of staying up with 2 games left is a miracle.

Marco has done an outstanding job and defeat today doesn't change that.

I didnt watch the game and assume you didn't either?

Hard therefore to comment.

I also don't judge players or managers on single games, prefer to rate and review over a period of games.

Hull should be dead by now, the fact they have even a fighting chance of staying up with 2 games left is a miracle.

Marco has done an outstanding job and defeat today doesn't change that.

He`s done a fair job... they are up to 18th now....

How would you judge Puel? 6th last year, 12th at the moment. Must be less than fair surely?

Even if we were relegated ALWAYS_SFC would be happy. He'd be content with failure and anyone who wants more is an umgrateful sod.

Even if we were relegated ALWAYS_SFC would be happy. He'd be content with failure and anyone who wants more is an umgrateful sod.

If people like Always and Duckhunter had prevailed in the Stone Age, we'd still be living in caves and they'd be sitting around moaning about some ungrateful bastard trying to invent the wheel.

Is the new benchmark "at least were not as bad as Hull"

We drew at home to Sunderland.... Puel must be good

I didn't set the benchmark,it was others calling for a manager who in the most important game at home against a dire team losing to replace ours.

Why do fans think that we would do any good this season when we replaced Wanyama with Romeau (a downgrade) and Mane with Redmond (not yet as good but will be very good) add to that losing VVD, Fonte and Austin.

A Portsmouth fan would....

- be fine with us getting relegated

- would want us to keep a duff manager for as long as possible

- would accuse all Saints fans with ambition of being a skate

- would try to derail all threads

- would post alot on our Portsmouth dedicated thread

- would be aggressive and abusive when challenged

#justsayin

No i would`nt at all but we were never ever in danger of it so it did not enter my thoughts.

I think some would actually want it to suit there " i was right2 view...

I am realistic about our success as i understand the loss of players and large fixture list has hampered us but some refuse to acknowledge this..

O

No i would`nt at all but we were never ever in danger of it so it did not enter my thoughts.

I think some would actually want it to suit there " i was right2 view...

I am realistic about our success as i understand the loss of players and large fixture list has hampered us but some refuse to acknowledge this..

I respect your view but mine is that I think Puel is an ok manager but is more likely to take us down then keep us mid table.. I think all the things you list above are just excuses for his deficiencies.

Why can't YOu acknowledge I am perfectly entitled to my opinion and stop name calling, putting words into people's mouths and accusing people with a different opinion to you of being skates or idiots?

Puel was`nt here last year..

He has done ok considering the amount of matches and player losses and got to a cup final

And Marco only joined Hull in January. He had improved them even though he lost some of his better players. You can't say the same about us and Puel.

S

O

I respect your view but mine is that I think Puel is an ok manager but is more likely to take us down then keep us mid table.. I think all the things you list above are just excuses for his deficiencies.

Why can't YOu acknowledge I am perfectly entitled to my opinion and stop name calling, putting words into people's mouths and accusing people with a different opinion to you of being skates or idiots?

Where have I said you weren't entitled to an opinion, you are of course but so am i