Puel out

Lastman73

Another way of looking at the Premier Table as at 2 May puts the team's performance this year in perspective.

81 Chelsea

77 Tottenham

69 Liverpool

66 Man C

65 Man U

60 Arsenal

58 Everton

44 West Brom

41 SAINTS; Bournemouth

40 Leicester; Stoke; Watford

39 Burnley; West Ham

38 Crystal Palace

34 Hull

32 Swansea

28 Middlesbrough

21 Sunderland

Would we be even worse off if we'd had a different management team? Can't say Puel and Black come out of this with enhanced reputations, unlike our previous managers. On balance of probability, it looks like a change would be for the better.

Or, just look at a normal league table and notice, pretty easily, that the teams around us have similar numbers of points?

Totally agree. I wonder if our resident stat people can tell me how much mopo and puel spent in their first full seasons?

When they do come up wth that stat, make sure it is net spend recognising the sale of Big Vic, Pelle and Mane. I don't recall any major exit in the summer with MoPo. We signed Big Vic and Lovren

VVD, Bertrand, Redmand or Puel

I think its pretty much proven that at Southampton it doesn't make any difference who the manager is if players gets a better offer else where. You really think bringing in Silva will make any difference to VVD and Bertrand if Citeh come calling ?

The issue isn't players leaving ( its going to happen regardless) its about replacing them properly something Les failed to do last summer and Jan.

Or, just look at a normal league table and notice, pretty easily, that the teams around us have similar numbers of points?

Of course, the word 'perspective' is a bit complicated for the small minded but most other people will understand.

Of course, the word 'perspective' is a bit complicated for the small minded but most other people will understand.

For what it's worth, I found it a revealing picture of the gulf between us and the top teams this season. Fortunately also quite a gap to the bottom two, but it emphasises that we have achieved emphatic mediocrity, along with several other teams.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Another way of looking at the Premier Table as at 2 May puts the team's performance this year in perspective.

81 Chelsea

77 Tottenham

69 Liverpool

66 Man C

65 Man U

60 Arsenal

58 Everton

44 West Brom

41 SAINTS; Bournemouth

40 Leicester; Stoke; Watford

39 Burnley; West Ham

38 Crystal Palace

34 Hull

32 Swansea

28 Middlesbrough

21 Sunderland

Would we be even worse off if we'd had a different management team? Can't say Puel and Black come out of this with enhanced reputations, unlike our previous managers. On balance of probability, it looks like a change would be for the better.

Yes spot on. I think a number of us have made the above point. But the visual helps illustrate the point.

Finishing 8th or 9th should not be celebrated if you're 20 points behind 6th place.

Bigger picture

What's the fascination in the difference between home and away form? All games are played on a similar size pitch and worth the same number of points. If we won all our away games but only 5 at home and finished in the top 4 we'd still have people moaning. Mainly, I presume, because the wins didn't come when they were watching!

It's a observation. Far more supporters watch home games than away ones. If you have a season ticket and don't/can't do away games then you will have a totally different view of the season than someone who mainly goes to away games. For home supporters this has been a crap season with boring football and a desperate lack of goals. If all you care about is league position and points then maybe attractive football in front of 30,000 of your paying customers is not your priority.

Bertrand at Chelsea? With the amount of crosses we seem to want to blast in from all angles though you'd think a pelle type player would have been on the agenda.

Yes Bertrand, but his was a subtle glancing header. We are lacking an extra dimension if we always have to play on the ground. Austin and J-Rod would add an extra option, when available.

It's a observation. Far more supporters watch home games than away ones. If you have a season ticket and don't/can't do away games then you will have a totally different view of the season than someone who mainly goes to away games. For home supporters this has been a crap season with boring football and a desperate lack of goals. If all you care about is league position and points then maybe attractive football in front of 30,000 of your paying customers is not your priority.

I'm a ST its not been much worse than previous seasons for entertainment some good games some **** ones (winning normally being the correlation between the two). I haven't been bored at many games more than frustrated at how many bloody chances we haven't put away. I have left to many games at SMS this season talking about the "if only moments" and the second lowest conversion rate of shots to goals in the league tells its own picture. So I've not been bored just frustrated but then I pay my money I take my choice a ST, or any match ticket, makes no guarantee to the purchaser of the entertainment of a game all it does is entitle you to a seat at the match.

I'm a ST its not been much worse than previous seasons for entertainment some good games some **** ones (winning normally being the correlation between the two). I haven't been bored at many games more than frustrated at how many bloody chances we haven't put away. I have left to many games at SMS this season talking about the "if only moments" and the second lowest conversion rate of shots to goals in the league tells its own picture. So I've not been bored just frustrated but then I pay my money I take my choice a ST, or any match ticket, makes no guarantee to the purchaser of the entertainment of a game all it does is entitle you to a seat at the match.

Any paying customer has a right to demand and expect some sort of effort and entertainment. Otherwise you might as well take a crossword or puzzle book to the game.

These games have been especially poor. Man City, WBA, Bournemouth, Hull

Any paying customer has a right to demand and expect some sort of effort and entertainment. Otherwise you might as well take a crossword or puzzle book to the game.

You forgot Boro , Spurs , Liverpool and west ham !

I hate the whole player power thing, but if it's a toss up between losing key players or keeping Puel....Puel should go. I don't get the impression that we have a squad full of stroppy divas, so if rumours of unrest are true then maybe there's a good reason for it. Plus, the football has on the whole been quite dull this season.

You forgot Boro , Spurs , Liverpool and west ham !

It looks like the manager may be toast if the newspapers are right. We have gone backwards and the only reason the pressure is not greater is that we have little in the way of ambition either at fan or board levels. Les will be laughing mind since he sold the best players off, did not buy a striker last summer when any idiot new we needed one and sold are only fit regular CB!

I would be happier if Puel took Les with him

If your going to the theatre or a comedy club maybe but live sport doesn't (can't) work like that.

Hull was terrible (from both teams to be fair), WBA to (though we were the better side for long periods but as usual didn't make it count), I enjoyed Bournemouth (more for the "its not a" derby atmosphere) and man city were just to good for us (and man city played some great stuff that I would have enjoyed had not been my team they were doing it to).

First time since administration that I wouldn't be bothered in the slightest if our manager left. To be fair though, I don't think he's necessarily been given the best hand to succeed, with injuries to key players and having been stitched a bit in both transfer windows.

I also think some of the players need to take a look at themselves. Yes, of course of the manager needs to be able to motivate etc, but you can't tell me many of the players in recent weeks/months have been giving their all. They showed in the cup matches what they can do if they really wanted to.

However, some of the tactics in recent matches have been bizarre. When he's made subs, they've made no impact other than given impetus to the opposition. There's been a few too many performances, especially at home, which just haven't been anywhere near good enough and unless we have a revamp of tactics/style, I cannot see that changing next season.

If I was making the decision, I'd get rid at the end of the season - however I fully anticipate he will still be here. The only caveat to that is if Koeman was as close to the sack midway through last season as alleged, I cannot see how the board will accept the limp end to this season we are having.

Like the wonderous Pep has found at Man City life is is not easy in the premier league as it is elsewhere in Europe, where you have leagues with a couple of dominant forces and the rest are cannon fodder, the "cannon fodder" in the premier league has teeth sharp enough to bite back. If you look at the FA Cup there are teams from the nether regions of the four divisions who can bloody the nose of the big boys through sheer bloody minded endeavor. I doubt you will find any other football pyramid in Europe where the little fish can be so problematic.

Leaving the ground on Saturday I felt like I had just watched a Ligue 1 performance, it reminded me of when Chelsea played PSG a few seasons ago in the Champions League, Chelsea played the kind of high tempo game we are use to, and for 90 minutes PSG played the almost laissez faire tempo the French league seems to play at. As a result Chelsea won. PSG played Chelsea again in the CL, possibly the following season, this time they turned up with a bit more gusto and drive and beat Chelsea.

Seems like after 30 odd games Claude still wants to play at Ligue 1 pace and does not seem to have learned that the Premier League runs at a high tempo for pretty much 90 minutes (and this tiredness cobblers is also allowing players to hide behind it as an excuse), as we saw on Saturday on the rare occasions when we did put our foot on the gas we were effective. I have watched him on the sidelines a few times doing his nut at players not doing what they should be. Maybe he has lost the dressing room, there was talk at the beginning of the season that he made an impassioned speech to the players before one of the games that cleared the air a little and our performances picked up. But on Saturday there was so much negative conversation between the players, the more you think it could be possible, we have just done the reverse of Leicester who fumbled the league but played like demons in the CL, we have got to the magical 40 points and the Deck Chairs and Flip Flops are out.

The next few games will be interesting as aside from Stoke everyone we play has something to play for, just as Hull did. Will we get the return of the rotation, and as we are playing Arsenal and Man U, games we normally get ourselves fired up for, will we see the mindset of the playing staff.

I just wonder how much of a negative influence Eric Black has on things................ you never see him come to the touchline.

Like the wonderous Pep has found at Man City life is is not easy in the premier league as it is elsewhere in Europe, where you have leagues with a couple of dominant forces and the rest are cannon fodder, the "cannon fodder" in the premier league has teeth sharp enough to bite back. If you look at the FA Cup there are teams from the nether regions of the four divisions who can bloody the nose of the big boys through sheer bloody minded endeavor. I doubt you will find any other football pyramid in Europe where the little fish can be so problematic.

Leaving the ground on Saturday I felt like I had just watched a Ligue 1 performance, it reminded me of when Chelsea played PSG a few seasons ago in the Champions League, Chelsea played the kind of high tempo game we are use to, and for 90 minutes PSG played the almost laissez faire tempo the French league seems to play at. As a result Chelsea won. PSG played Chelsea again in the CL, possibly the following season, this time they turned up with a bit more gusto and drive and beat Chelsea.

Seems like after 30 odd games Claude still wants to play at Ligue 1 pace and does not seem to have learned that the Premier League runs at a high tempo for pretty much 90 minutes (and this tiredness cobblers is also allowing players to hide behind it as an excuse), as we saw on Saturday on the rare occasions when we did put our foot on the gas we were effective. I have watched him on the sidelines a few times doing his nut at players not doing what they should be. Maybe he has lost the dressing room, there was talk at the beginning of the season that he made an impassioned speech to the players before one of the games that cleared the air a little and our performances picked up. But on Saturday there was so much negative conversation between the players, the more you think it could be possible, we have just done the reverse of Leicester who fumbled the league but played like demons in the CL, we have got to the magical 40 points and the Deck Chairs and Flip Flops are out.

The next few games will be interesting as aside from Stoke everyone we play has something to play for, just as Hull did. Will we get the return of the rotation, and as we are playing Arsenal and Man U, games we normally get ourselves fired up for, will we see the mindset of the playing staff.

I just wonder how much of a negative influence Eric Black has on things................ you never see him come to the touchline.

I know no one actually listens to Puel's interviews but this is what he said after the game which doesn't really tally with what you are saying

"Our game was too poor today, without the good intensity, the good rhythm of the passes, without the possibility to find the good space and the good situations.

"We were too slow – too slow to take the decisions, to take the good information, to play good football and it was simply not enough today.

"It's a good lesson, because if we didn't give the good intensity of the game, with good quality and good pressing, it's not possible to win.

If anything it suggests the manager knows what he wants and what is needed and the players aren't doing it which of course is a worry in itself...

Everyone who has a different opinion to Always and Whelk are skates or trolls .

Didnt you know ?

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

That would be the same way that people who don't agree with you are "Happy Clappers" then?

Oh and as for Long and his purple patch and your assertion that Puel isn't getting the best out of him. All I would say is that Puel is no worse than most of Long's previous managers because as far as I can see, he has only had one purple patch in his whole career.

If the club have a name in mind with 5 games to go, and he is free, I'd be inclined to do it NOW.

Gives the new boy a few weeks to see what hes got, what is missing, and work his charisma on any wavering players.

half of which he won't have a few weeks in to the transfer window if previous summers are anything to go by.

There's been quite a bit in all the papers over the last 24 hours. It's clear a number of seniors aren't keen on him and it appears like he's on borrowed time.

Have the papers provided reliable sources for these rumours or are they just spreading fake news? I'd like to see some proper evidence about these senior players who apparently are clearly not happy with him. It wasn't that long ago we had precisely the same rumours about some players and Koeman.

There's been quite a bit in all the papers over the last 24 hours. It's clear a number of seniors aren't keen on him and it appears like he's on borrowed time.

Ship them out then, regardless of weather Puel is good enough or not, if the players are allowed to dictate to the club what a manager can or can't do we are on a slippery slope.

That would be the same way that people who don't agree with you are "Happy Clappers" then?

Oh and as for Long and his purple patch and your assertion that Puel isn't getting the best out of him. All I would say is that Puel is no worse than most of Long's previous managers because as far as I can see, he has only had one purple patch in his whole career.

WhoScored ratings:

2013: 6.8 season average (WBA)

2014: 6.8 season average (Hull)

2015: 6.7 season average (SFC)

2016: 7.0 season average (SFC)

2017: 6.3 (Puel)

Ship them out then, regardless of weather Puel is good enough or not, if the players are allowed to dictate to the club what a manager can or can't do we are on a slippery slope.

I agree, and this is the stance that I took with Fonte. However the players that want out (from what I know of) aren't usually one to act like this. You could understand it with Tadic for example, but not when it comes from Bertrand and Long (and others). It's more than just 'player power' if they generally do not respect / like playing for our current coaching staff.

Get rid of one manager or several players? It's a lot cheaper to change the boss.

What struck me on Saturday was the number of our players who had their heads down and were just strolling through the actions.

I was told on Sunday that for the first time in the clubs history we are about to complete a season without winning a home match on a Saturday (in league or cup), ok that is not a fair comparison as so many games are on a Sunday now but that is quite a stat.

Saturday games;

Watford - draw

Sunderland - draw

Liverpool - draw

WBA - lose

Arsenal - lose

West Ham - lose

Bournemouth - draw

Man City - lose

Hull - draw

probably but manager has to able to manage what hope does anyone else coming in after Puel have if they now they will be undermined if some players take a dislike to them?

Conte and Shakespear have managed fine...

Sadly Puel is just a weak manager. He wrote his own resignation letter by capitulating to Tadic rather than dropping him. I was in favour of Puel before that, and I thought I would give him some time to see if it would work with Tadic... But now after several games of playing with 10men, and with Tadic never being substituted despite being ****e... It's clear that Puel is a weak man manager and that both him and Tadic should leave the club this summer.

Hopefully we can get Emery or Silva in.

I agree, and this is the stance that I took with Fonte. However the players that want out (from what I know of) aren't usually one to act like this. You could understand it with Tadic for example, but not when it comes from Bertrand and Long (and others). It's more than just 'player power' if they generally do not respect / like playing for our current coaching staff.

Well Long can **** off it would be a nice excuse for him to hide behind the manager to cover up how **** he has been this season if he could actually finish this thread probably wouldn't exist. I mean a 9% conversion rate for a striker dear God

probably but manager has to able to manage what hope does anyone else coming in after Puel have if they now they will be undermined if some players take a dislike to them?

What about expecting a manager to change tactics when its clearly not working - is it acceptable not to have 1 shot on target and just change personnel rather than formation? Romeu battled well but can't do it on his own...although he gave it a bloody good go!

He has undoubtedly lacked support from the board but on the pitch he can make things happen but he doesn't just stubbornly ploughs away like Saturday.

I'm pretty sure this quote is supposed to sound exciting

And with the new owners, there will be a new coach with a number of high-profile names in their sights

but it just fills me with visions of signing over the hill players who used to be good on one last pay day and some high profile ex player who is a crap manager but has a well known name. John Terry and Di Canio it is then...

I'm pretty sure this quote is supposed to sound exciting

And with the new owners, there will be a new coach with a number of high-profile names in their sights

but it just fills me with visions of signing over the hill players who used to be good on one last pay day and some high profile ex player who is a crap manager but has a well known name. John Terry and Di Canio it is then...

Like when Ronaldinho was linked with the Venkys at Blackburn...

What about expecting a manager to change tactics when its clearly not working - is it acceptable not to have 1 shot on target and just change personnel rather than formation? Romeu battled well but can't do it on his own...although he gave it a bloody good go!

He has undoubtedly lacked support from the board but on the pitch he can make things happen but he doesn't just stubbornly ploughs away like Saturday.

Not disagreeing that Puel has got things wrong (though the sub bench doesn't exactly give him many options presently) and Romeu shouldn't be doing things on his own but again the Puel's options are limited seeing as Romeu is the only proper DM in the squad. None of that though is really relevant to weather the club should bow to player pressure over who the manager is.

Football fans are fickle. If we go and win at Anfield, all of this talk will go away pretty rapidly.

Perhaps the board has seen morale is low, the players are on the beach, and have decided to use the media as an opportunity to fire a rocket up a few asses before Sunday.

Something is brewing I think, but I just hope the 'new' owners (if it happens) aren't the sort who will just fly names about and advertise interest in anything that moves. I kinda like how we do things at the moment (bar the selling..!)

it will be a disgrace if Puel goes. He hasnt had time to get the team together to his wishes.

LM got relegated in his first season, Im so glad the board didnt buckle to the fans then.

The best we can ever get now is 7th unless the bigger clubs take their eyes off the ball again like they did for the previous 3 seasons. We had our chance for real glory when had we invested instead of selling we may have pushed on. Now we haev to fight to stay in the middle part of the table, and hope for good cup runs.

Puel got us to a final and all the great feeling that went with it, he should be given the chance to do similar again.

If Puel did great after match interviews by telling the fans how great they are he would have lots behind him, but all it seems to matter is that he is not a big personality.

Not disagreeing that Puel has got things wrong (though the sub bench doesn't exactly give him many options presently) and Romeu shouldn't be doing things on his own but again the Puel's options are limited seeing as Romeu is the only proper DM in the squad. None of that though is really relevant to weather the club should bow to player pressure over who the manager is.

He had Hojberg or JWP he could have tried - he also could have gone 3-5-2 and pushed Long or Jayrod alongside Gabbi but just stuck same failing formation and not for the first time.

Its not about the entertainment its about seeing a manager change things when not working, being able to work with the squad you have and play that formation to get the best from them. Did Tadic deserve to stay on for 90 mins on Saturday...or Redmond yet they did that's my issue with him.

Boufal is wasted out wide, ,he did ok first half but all his work is done in front of Cedric not in an area that will hurt the opposition.

At every club there are players not liking the manager remember Mane and arsehat?