Puel out

Lastman73

Unlucky to have Van Dijk injured and not bother to mark Ibrahimovic in the last 5 minutes in the box more like. :/

We could have played Cáceres of course.

It wasn't a case of not marking Ibrahimovic, more a case of running away from him when it mattered. That really was bad luck.

Incidentally, United had 4 days before, they moved their game forward to the Wednesday to give them an extra day over what they'd have had if they'd played on the Thursday.

And they were already 3-0 up in the game played on the Wednesday, so they were able to rest 6 players, making the following changes:

S Romero/D de Gea

D Blind/M Rojo

M Carrick/A Herrera

A Young/J Lingard

H Mkhitaryan/L Valencia

M Fellaini/A Martial

Now I'm fairly sure if we had the likes of Carrick, Mkhitaryan and Blind in reserve we'd probably be doing better too. But that's basically the point, money buys better players.

Edited by The9

We could have played Cáceres of course.

It wasn't a case of not marking Ibrahimovic, more a case of running away from him when it mattered. That really was bad luck.

The main element of luck in the whole final goal was the touch they got on the edge of the box to stop us clearing it before it broke to the right wing. Still, we SHOULD have been the stronger side.

There's usually at least one of the top 6 underperforming and catchable. That didn't happen this season, partially because two of the clubs who were cack the year before didn't have Europe and were able to focus entirely on their domestic campaigns.

Next season the whole of the "elite" top 6 will be playing in Europe, and Spurs will have a new ground, which gives the rest of the league half a chance of competing with the ones underperforming. In addition, we've been the top performing not "elite" side over the past 4 seasons (along with Leicester by virtue of their title season) and we won't be in Europe, so you'd also expect us to be one of the challengers.

Then again, if the top 6 are able to balance Europe with domestic competitions and take advantage of their final advantage it might be more of the same.

Exactly - which is why I'm happy with my lot and happy for Puel to take another season. Top 7 or 8 is pretty much where we are in the football pyramid.

Unlucky to have an invisible goalkeeper

Nothing much he could do about the winner, free header from rapidly delivered cross he'd never have got to anyway and no time to react to it after the header either.

Irrespective of the 'luck' element or 'non luck' element, whichever way you want to see it, I was actually very proud of the way we played at Wembley. If you want to retrospectively sit and knit pick about preparation time or how Fraser shouldn't have let in 3 goals, or how a young up and coming center back got done in the last 5 minutes - then feel free.

As I say - we don't get to too many finals, never mind win them, so I'll stick with my original assessment that we played really well and did the club proud irrespective of luck.

Nothing much he could do about the winner, free header from rapidly delivered cross he'd never have got to anyway and no time to react to it after the header either.

Rubbish - he should have held it surely. :D

The free kick is on Forster. Should have been saved.

Don't disagree with you on this, but I'm struggling to see how some may see this and other individual failings as a stick to beat Puel with.

Not a Puel fanatic by any means but he did have some pretty blunted tools to work with at times.

Honestly, what's the point of harping on about not getting beaten by Liverpool when we got absolutely spanked by Man City, Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal & Everton at various points of the season. Is there now a special award for going unbeaten against Jurgen Klopp?

The free kick is on Forster. Should have been saved.

Agreed. I was there, looking at the free kick being lined up and I knew exactly what was going to happen. Not just it going in but Forster not getting close enough to it.

To sack a manager who got us to a cup final and finished eighth sets a very dangerous precedent by the powers to be.

Normally I would agree with you BUT when was the last time the club's paying customers chanted "you don't know what you're doing" at, as well as booing the manager ?

It certainly hasn't happened since the Liebherr takeover of the club so it's a fair bet to say the club have been stung a little by that.....add to which their struggle to stay awake during home matches as most of us were bored into submission.

Sometimes there is more to a decision being made than the cold hard facts of a Cup Final and 8th in the League which we all know is a false position - 46 points averages 14/15th place.

We still don't know for sure if there is player unrest about the manager and/or his assistant, you can be sure the board know however.

This club do not do things by knee jerk reaction. Many things would have been taken into consideration IF they have relieved him of his job.

WBA picked up 5 points (1 win) from their final 13 games.

Thats how and why we finished 8th.

Lowest points for 8th placed team in 30+ years

So I assume Pulis has been sacked and their fans are looking forward to a new manager

So I assume Pulis has been sacked and their fans are looking forward to a new manager

depends if the WBA objective is European qualification and to be "champions league ready"?

not too sure it is to be honest

Les will sack Puel - will give the chumps their sacrificial lamb ("Uncle Les is listening") and take scrutiny off his and wee Ross less stellar recent record in the transfer market.

Seems like the wee lad is sunning himself in Portugal at the moment.

Very questionable record (and suits) yet gained a big promotion recently.

Their fans may be a little more realistic than ours, coupled with the fact that Pulis comes with a reputation for a certain style of football, so it's highly likely they got what they were expecting. We on the other hand.... finished 8th and got to a cup final, but this appears to be not enough for some of our fans.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Edited by Micky
Forgot a bit, but luckily Greenrich reminded me - phew..!

Their fans may be a little more realistic than ours, coupled with the fact that Pulis comes with a reputation for a certain style of football, so it's highly likely they got what they were expecting. We on the other hand....

Micky, may I be the first to congratulate you for making a post that doesn't contain the phrase 'we were 8th and got to a final'. Super.

Honestly, what's the point of harping on about not getting beaten by Liverpool when we got absolutely spanked by Man City, Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal & Everton at various points of the season. Is there now a special award for going unbeaten against Jurgen Klopp?

I found him not being able to beat, us or even score against us, in four attempts very rewarding can't stand the clown or his ****ing club...

If people want to criticise Forster at Wembley, Davis had a part in all three MU goals, Davis bent his knees whilst the others in the wall jumped, the ball went over Davis, MU left side, Davis let Lindgard go and left him unmarked free to score, then Davis again on the left side of our penalty area stood with both hands behind his back, made no attempt to close down Herrera and gave him the room to cross to Ibrahimovic for the third goal.

Against WBA without Gabbiadini, Romeu and Davis, Hojbjerg, Long and Clasie who scored, did well, resulting in three points, next game Davis and Gabbiadini in, Clasie and Long out lose 3-0 to Man City. Middlesbrough, in come Hojbjerg, Clasie, Long and Rodriguez, great move by the last three results in the vital first goal and three more points, next game back in the usual Puel team at home, no goals and lose to Stoke.

Take away those two wins, six points provided by players Puel wouldn't play whilst his 'best' team grubbed around and probably wouldn't have won either of those games. That would have left us with a very poor 40 points and 16th place. Puel is not a good manager.

If people want to criticise Forster at Wembley, Davis had a part in all three MU goals, Davis bent his knees whilst the others in the wall jumped, the ball went over Davis, MU left side, Davis let Lindgard go and left him unmarked free to score, then Davis again on the left side of our penalty area stood with both hands behind his back, made no attempt to close down Herrera and gave him the room to cross to Ibrahimovic for the third goal.

Against WBA without Gabbiadini, Romeu and Davis, Hojbjerg, Long and Clasie who scored, did well, resulting in three points, next game Davis and Gabbiadini in, Clasie and Long out lose 3-0 to Man City. Middlesbrough, in come Hojbjerg, Clasie, Long and Rodriguez, great move by the last three results in the vital first goal and three more points, next game back in the usual Puel team at home, no goals and lose to Stoke.

Take away those two wins, six points provided by players Puel wouldn't play whilst his 'best' team grubbed around and probably wouldn't have won either of those games. That would have left us with a very poor 40 points and 16th place. Puel is not a good manager.

So you're saying you DON'T think playing Man City is more difficult than playing West Brom?

I should also point out that one of the only criticisms of anything specific Puel has done this season earlier in the thread was picking a weak side against West Brom at Xmas. So those would be the same second stringers you're saying should be the first team, right?

Such random scatterbomb complaints. People moaning he rotates, people moaning he doesn't pick enough backups.

Edited by The9

So you're saying you DON'T think playing Man City is more difficult than playing West Brom?

I should also point out that one of the only criticisms of anything specific Puel has done this season earlier in the thread was picking a weak side against West Brom at Xmas. So those would be the same second stringers you're saying should be the first team, right?

Such random scatterbomb complaints. People moaning he rotates, people moaning he doesn't pick enough backups.

I do not rate him as his football is shyt and I believe we will be in a genuine relegation scrap if he was to stay all next season.

Should he start the season with us, he would probably wont last past xmas and we would be stuck with Allardyce

Sorry, but I still don't see how sacking someone who finished 8th in the EPL, and replacing him with someone who finished 7th in the Championship makes any kind of sense.

I agree but I wouldn't be surprised if Saints are looking at Monk. The likes of Mancini as an example will demand much more as far as funds for players are concerned, backroom staff and possibly may not buy into the youth policy setup etc.

So you think dropping Clasie for 4 games after scoring the winner and playing well was correct ?

Dropping Jayrod after scoring and making another is correct?

Can you name me one home game he changed us tactically for the better when it was going wrong?

In French or English is ok I have CSE in it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I am not in the know... Ever.

However, these 2 bits of info came to me today. Can't openly reveal source, but it comes from inside the club.

1. Dusan's falling out with CP is widely reported even amongst the tabloids. However what is not openly reported is a number of players 'silent protest' of CP. This protest includes turning their backs on him in the dressing room, as well as non-communication with him.

2. A meeting has been called tomorrow to formally decide/declare CP's future.

Believe it or not as you will, but this is my 3rd post today, so I can't comment more till tomorrow.

I am not in the know... Ever.

However, these 2 bits of info came to me today. Can't openly reveal source, but it comes from inside the club.

1. Dusan's falling out with CP is widely reported even amongst the tabloids. However what is not openly reported is a number of players 'silent protest' of CP. This protest includes turning their backs on him in the dressing room, as well as non-communication with him.

2. A meeting has been called tomorrow to formally decide/declare CP's future.

Believe it or not as you will, but this is my 3rd post today, so I can't comment more till tomorrow.

I wonder does the source use the Rockingham Arms?

I do not rate him as his football is shyt and I believe we will be in a genuine relegation scrap if he was to stay all next season.

Should he start the season with us, he would probably wont last past xmas and we would be stuck with Allardyce

You didn't address the issue, which was someone complaining we didn't play the reserves often enough, because the reserves are better than the first team. Also that we should expect to beat Man City more than we should expect to beat West Brom. And, implied, that we shouldn't bother picking the best players against Man City because it's a waste of time.

Oh, and of course Saints appointing Allardyce absolutely isn't happening at any point under the current structure.

Edited by The9

So you think dropping Clasie for 4 games after scoring the winner and playing well was correct ?

Dropping Jayrod after scoring and making another is correct?

Can you name me one home game he changed us tactically for the better when it was going wrong?

In French or English is ok I have CSE in it.

Yes, I absolutely agree that not picking Clasie and Rodriguez was correct. Clasie was rotated in to rest the players who I'm pretty sure everyone agrees are first choice to play against the better sides. Not sure which game you're referring to re: Rodriguez, but he's clearly equal third choice behind Gabbiadini and Austin and alongside Long, so I wouldn't expect him to start often either. He also got to keep his place after the Bournemouth game when he scored a hat-trick, and was pretty dire against Spurs despite that being one of the few games last season where we were as rested as they were (albeit with another match 3 days later).

We were losing to Inter at home and he switched Rodriguez for Austin, then when we went ahead pulled Tadic for Davis, does that count? I think it's the only time we came from behind all season, which is not entirely surprising given that we either didn't go behind to begin with, were playing sides we'd usually lose to, or were already at a disadvantage regarding fatigue before we started, in numerous cases. Though there is Long for Rodriguez half time and Sims for Redmond with 10 minutes to go up at Liverpool in the EFL semi...

Edited by The9

Yes, I absolutely agree that not picking Clasie and Rodriguez was correct. Clasie was rotated in to rest the players who I'm pretty sure everyone agrees are first choice to play against the better sides. Not sure which game you're referring to re: Rodriguez, but he's clearly equal third choice behind Gabbiadini and Austin and alongside Long, so I wouldn't expect him to start often either. He also got to keep his place after the Bournemouth game when he scored a hat-trick, and was pretty dire against Spurs despite that being one of the few games last season where we were as rested as they were (albeit with another match 3 days later).

You think its correct not to give a player 1 minute in the next 3 games after playing well and scoring something our midfield don't do?

We scored so many goals at home that we could drop the one player that did score at Boro?

You missed the tactically improvement at home games...its hard I agree....he didn't and that's my issue not just him his staff too.

Their fans may be a little more realistic than ours, coupled with the fact that Pulis comes with a reputation for a certain style of football, so it's highly likely they got what they were expecting. We on the other hand.... finished 8th and got to a cup final, but this appears to be not enough for some of our fans.

Do you think we're going to get a cup final every year? If not, then getting there once is not really a factor.

We were losing to Inter at home and he switched Rodriguez for Austin, then when we went ahead pulled Tadic for Davis, does that count? I think it's the only time we came from behind all season, which is not entirely surprising given that we either didn't go behind to begin with, were playing sides we'd usually lose to, or were already at a disadvantage regarding fatigue before we started, in numerous cases. Though there is Long for Rodriguez half time and Sims for Redmond with 10 minutes to go up at Liverpool in the EFL semi...

We were behind to Watford at home. The examples you gave were just rotation to stop fatigue weren't they? Oh and I said home not away as that's my issue with him.

So out of what 23 + home games where we scored so few goals you can not think of any tactics where we improved.

Glad you agree.

Not matter who the manager is we should be getting to a cup final every season because its easy and no big deal apparently...

Nothing but a mere formality, a given, a no brainer.

I pointed out on another post that we rarely get to finals (once every fifteen years if we are very lucky, and that's being generous). So for something that's allegedly so easy to achieve, we appear to fail pretty spectacularly every year. When you consider that winning a cup is probably our only real opportunity for honours (we ain't winning the league) it's pretty amazing that people are willing to write it off as pure luck.