Saints 1 West Brom 2 Reaction

Mr X

Does anyone honestly think that with the likes of Wanyama, Mane, Pelle or even Lallana still at the club we would really be any different under Puel?? I agree that the calibre of player we now have isn't anywhere near on a par with what we have let go over the last few summers, but I just don't see how, with the turgid, pedestrian, defensive style of football Puel has us playing that things would be any different if we had retained that talent. What brings out the best in Mane & Lallana, in particular at Liverpool now, is the pace at which the team plays and turns defence into attack allowing them to showcase their skills in the right area of the pitch against defences that are on the retreat not through slow, ponderous build-up play that allows defences to get organised and into position.

This is the crux of the problem. Even if you had Man City's attacking riches they'd struggle with this safety first approach. You don't need to have good quality players to be a threat in an attacking sense, look at Burnley for example who put 4 past a woeful Sunderland team that we only scored against as a result of a goalkeeping howler.

That would be surrender and suicide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As he stormed down the tunnel after being subbed he threw a Boufelesque type strop too.

Know you don't like tadic. Towards the end of last season was as good as anyone in prem in his position, 7 goals 12 assists last season is good. However, the style of play and not having a cross to Pelle or through ball to mane is making it tough. He's having to hold on to ball or pick out one midgit in the box.

Hojbjerg needs a serious run in this team. Not sure how he can be expected to adapt to a new league by being taken in and out. I really, really hope the 2nd half of the season will see us field consistent sides as we'll have plenty of free weeks. Hoj is exactly the sort of player who will benefit from a sustained run in a side. He clearly has all the tools.

Hojbjerg needs a serious run in this team. Not sure how he can be expected to adapt to a new league by being taken in and out. I really, really hope the 2nd half of the season will see us field consistent sides as we'll have plenty of free weeks. Hoj is exactly the sort of player who will benefit from a sustained run in a side. He clearly has all the tools.

He's not alone, Long and Jay Rod need a run, similar to Lambert who used to get better the more games he played. I suspect Long is the same.

Krueger ? He still even at the club ?

For me its clear; no more expenditure, liquidate some assets while on paper not fundamentally affecting business viability, sell.

We no longer have a board that are interested in the football.

Although we don't know this for a fact, it seems probable. Doubt there will be any money spent in January; maybe a few attempts at loans till end of the season. if this happen it adds further evidence for me that they are planning to sell in the summer.

We actually played well until we took the lead. At this point I said to my son 'now it's our game to lose'. We'd carved out the opening now we had to stay compact and well organized and stop WBA having time on the ball and space. I'm thinking of our we shut up the game against Arsenal when we got beaten 2-1.

What we did was just dumb and unprofessional. We were 2v2 at the back for their first goal. Martinez had pushed up and allowed his man to get behind him, causing a 3v2 overload. The shot wasn't clinical and Forster should have done better.

It's the way we lost upsets me. It wasn't disciplined. It wasn't organized and that's not the 'Southampton Way'.

VVD has been a shadow of himself in last few games. Flat footed and lacking concentration and discipline.

We've been lightweight in midfield for quite a while and we need to immediately change this.

Sometimes we need to change to 2 defensive midfielders and this is where I begin to question our playing style.

The diamond has attacking limitations. In the end Puel looked desperate of ideas in this match.

We beat ourselves yesterday and that's what hurts!

I can see why people want Morgan back, but even if he did come back we'd still need another type of midfielder as he's not the sort we're missing. He'd be a perfect replacement for Clasie/JWP with Romeu sitting deep. But we're not looking to replace those players, so it's a mute point.

Then you get someone else along side him who can drive.

A pal of mine had non football business with one of the squad recently. The conversation quickly turned to Saints and the player said many of the squad were unhappy with the safety first tactics and style of play. Just passing on what I'm told. Don't shoot me, please.

None of our players could score a goal like Arsenal have just scored . Puel out .....

Breaking quickly from own penalty area with several players busting a gut to get up in support? Nope. Not the current Saints style I sad to say.

Breaking quickly from own penalty area with several players busting a gut to get up in support? Nope. Not the current Saints style I sad to say.

That sort of behaviour is not possible if you have European competition to worry about as well..it would tire players needlessly.

A pal of mine had non football business with one of the squad recently. The conversation quickly turned to Saints and the player said many of the squad were unhappy with the safety first tactics and style of play. Just passing on what I'm told. Don't shoot me, please.

Why do these 'friend of a friend' style claims never actually name names?

Why do these 'friend of a friend' style claims never actually name names?

I knew Norm years ago and as far as I'm concerned if he says something I believe him 100%. How could they be happy forced to play the dross they are playing. Saints are the only team I've seen playing 4-5-1 attacking with one in the box and five further back.

Edited by derry

We do seem to have been saved from the normal gushing "best ive worked with" type comments you normally get with a new manager

Thank you derry (Happy New Year). Re naming the player, I know his name and I trust the person that told me of the conversation. It really must be obvious why I haven't mention him by name, surely?

Happy New Year to you Norm.

Hearing similar whispers. Players not being happy is nothing new and not terminal but nevertheless something to ponder

Hearing similar whispers. Players not being happy is nothing new and not terminal but nevertheless something to ponder

That's why teams that have struggled, bring in a common sense manager and the players are suddenly performing like potential champions. It often gets a lot worse before it get's better a la Swansea.

I knew Norm years ago and as far as I'm concerned if he says something I believe him 100%. How could they be happy forced to play the dross they are playing. Saints are the only team I've seen playing 4-5-1 attacking with one in the box and five further back.

Fair enough.

I'm still unsure how we can be at home against an opponent so obviously playing for a draw and still end up losing.

What's a common sense manager?

One that knows how to get the players onside and provides a new start putting square pegs in square holes and playing a way that suits the players at his disposal. Unlike Puel who insists the players play his way.

One that knows how to get the players onside and provides a new start putting square pegs in square holes and playing a way that suits the players at his disposal. Unlike Puel who insists the players play his way.

This rather ignores the fact that Puel has changed the way he plays during the season. Not sure what the better way is for our players, either. The team needs to play better but I'm not sure Puel defies common sense.

This rather ignores the fact that Puel has changed the way he plays during the season. Not sure what the better way is for our players, either. The team needs to play better but I'm not sure Puel defies common sense.

Bringing on Rodriguez then moving Long out wide left and JWP replacing Martina, chasing the game, not a lot of common sense there. Against Spurs again chasing the game three changes like for like changed nothing. Saving legs meant nothing at that point. Wholesale changes time and again and Long is saying the players are still struggling trying to play the managers way, no wonder. Changing the way a successful team played and making it worse is far from common sense. The diamond was dire the 4-3-3 with one striker is just as bad. 11 goals from play in 19 matches is disgraceful with the players available.

Funny how the snippets people hear from the dressing room always tallies with their opinion of the manager.

I'd keep Puel for now but have heard similar.

Some of the players really aren't keen.

Glad to hear it. The sooner player power gets rid of this Goon the better. This is the bloke that attacks on the basis of whats going to happen when we lose the ball. To fail is acceptable but to repeatedly fail having never tried is inexcusable.

That sounds like 'arry talk

With our recent play in front of goal, you don't need to be afraid of shooting. ;)