The World Cup Thread

Lighthouse

VAR hasn't been anywhere near perfect, but one thing I've liked is that referees have been more willing to give penalties against the big teams, knowing they've got VAR to bail them out of mistakes.

Before they'd have been scared to give them and more often than not unjustly given the benefit of the doubt.

As an example the ref clearly had a good view of the soares handball. Ordinarily he would have waved away the penalty and carried on but the presence of var makes it too tempting to just use the technology and then he ended up reversing his decision which was correct in the first place. If the ref doesn't see something then that's different.

Refereeing error then

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

Good stuff

Round 2 could have France v Argentina with Brazil v Germany... and Uruguay v Portugal

Some big hitters going out

The ducks are lining up in a..........

All those six teams on the same side of the draw as well! England will be if we finish first, if we end up second, the only tricky teams really will be Spain, Croatia and Mexico

I know people harp on about momentum, but I think it’s important to finish second in the group. Much better chance of a semi final appearance on that side of the draw.

Agree. Thursday could be a very boring game.

I know people harp on about momentum, but I think it’s important to finish second in the group. Much better chance of a semi final appearance on that side of the draw.

That's fine in theory but what exactly do we do to ensure that? Throw the game? We will rotate that squad and so will Belgium and those players who come in will want to show the manager they should be in the starting eleven.

That's fine in theory but what exactly do we do to ensure that? Throw the game? We will rotate that squad and so will Belgium and those players who come in will want to show the manager they should be in the starting eleven.

Get a few early yellow cards and then play for the draw. It's easier to try and not particualrly attack, you only had to watch the France Denmark horror show yesterday!