The World Cup Thread

Lighthouse

I don’t think there is a single side on the left that we would beat, Uruguay maybe. Tonight should be both teams trying to lose.

Belgium will be if they make the amount of changes expected.

We on he other hand seem to have an eye on Harry Kane scoring all the goals

You’ve missed all the feminism stuff going in lately?

Steph McGovern on the Beeb had a right gripe (and threw in a bit of the class system for an added bonus)

Now her Lego head is never off the BBC

Lego head is on the main sofa this morning.

Good morning Britain it is....

I don’t think there is a single side on the left that we would beat, Uruguay maybe. Tonight should be both teams trying to lose.

Erm what? Argentina are shocking, France have the players but not looked at all good at any point. Brazil have hardly set the world alight. Mexico looked good but got smashed by Sweden. No side has looked incredible. We havent got past the last 16 in years, so i dont know why people are worried about the next round already, and if you want to win the thing you've got to beat the best.

Erm what? Argentina are shocking, France have the players but not looked at all good at any point. Brazil have hardly set the world alight. Mexico looked good but got smashed by Sweden. No side has looked incredible. We havent got past the last 16 in years, so i dont know why people are worried about the next round already, and if you want to win the thing you've got to beat the best.

I guess you’ve not supported England at a tournament before? It’s 16 years since we beat anyone above us in the fifa rankings, and all those teams are better than us, we’ve only beaten Tunisia and panama, and suddenly people think we can beat anyone!

You have to beat the best, but take the left side and we likely have to beat Brazil, Argentina or France, AND Spain. No chance. The other half at least gives us a chance to get to the semis, maybe even a final, although I think we go out before or in the quarters.

I guess you’ve not supported England at a tournament before? It’s 16 years since we beat anyone above us in the fifa rankings, and all those teams are better than us, we’ve only beaten Tunisia and panama, and suddenly people think we can beat anyone!

You have to beat the best, but take the left side and we likely have to beat Brazil, Argentina or France, AND Spain. No chance. The other half at least gives us a chance to get to the semis, maybe even a final, although I think we go out before or in the quarters.

Academic argument. England's defence probably isn't good enough to beat anyone with a serious striker or two. Doesn't matter which side of the draw we may be on. See a Brazil-Argentina final myself. Group games mean nothing, seen so many good looking sides fall at the first real hurdle and so many shockers in group games progressively raise their level.

Lol, watched us loads of times and i can safely say this is the best i've seen us play since Euro 96, we honestly shouldnt be scared of any of those lot bar Spain & Brazil. France are a con, negative dull ****e football. Argentina have the average age of 302 and rely on Messi, pace will destroy them. Brazil are good, they will probably win it. I'm not saying England will win it, but it annoys me that people don't just want us to win every game possible.

This England side has one key factor, Pace and a Goal Scorer, our defence is shocking mind. Argentina vs France will probably be the worst game in the tournament.

Edited by Cabbage_Face

Let's be honest here. We all know that we aren't going to win it. But I would rather we win as many games as we can, rather than trying to 'tactically lose'. Pretty sure FIFA would have no qualms in throwing us or Belgium out of the competition if we did try anything anyway. It would amount to match fixing for starters. Any possible chance of hosting a World Cup in 2030 would be down the drain. FIFA could even ban England from entering the 2022 World Cup (see Chile in 1994 - one of the best football stories around by the way).

If England get through to the Quarter Finals, that would be a success in my eyes. Any further and I would be ecstatic. I honestly think 2020 Euro's or even 2022 is where we will see the end product of the recent developments in the youth sides. I think we will win tonight, play either Senegal or Japan in the 2nd Round - hopefully win and then it's going to be a one off game against Brazil (likely). Even last night the Serbs had chances, if that had been Kane rather than Mitrovic it may have been a different result. Neymar doesn't look right, Coutinho is currently their key player.

I just hope Southgate has got the lads practicing Penalties every training session. No stupid run ups, no Panenka's, just run up and smash the f*cker into the corner a la Kane. Make sure we have 7 or 8 players who want to take them (unlike Paul 'the Choker' Ince). Pickford and the GK team clearly do their homework - before the Tunisia penalty, Henderson had a word with the coaching staff and gave Pickford the info on which side the player was likely to go. On that occasion, to be fair to the Tunisian, it was an excellent pen but Pickford wasn't far away. For those old enough, I remember watching Shilton in 1990 and he never looked like saving a pen. Seaman always seemed to save at least one too.

Just enjoy the ride. England has broken my heart too many times but this is the first time in 22 years where I am enjoying watching England in a tournament.

Just enjoy the ride. England has broken my heart too many times but this is the first time in 22 years where I am enjoying watching England in a tournament.

This 100%. I was so negative going into this, fully expected us to come out vs Tunisia and Panama all negative and set up not to lose, it was the complete opposite, first 45 mins vs Tunisia we were all over them, bar the dodgy peno by Walker, we were very good. Panama, i know they are probably the level of Eastleigh, but you have to beat whats infront of you and i reckon teams past would've scraped a 1v0 or 2v1, we demolished them and they were clearly trying to get a player sent off. Belgium will be interesting as clearly they will rest players and maybe so will we, but like Southgate says "just win it".

The team seem to be enjoying themselves, there is no pressure for us to win this World Cup, so try and win every game possible and take the experience and stop being pussies and trying for the "easy" route.

I was being sarcastic, personally.

There are some big names on the left but I'd take winning and confidence over an easy draw on paper any day.

Think this world cup has shown there are no easy games and you shouldn't take any side lightly. Germany for example. Argentina very lucky to get through.

I personally don't think Argentina, France, Brazil are any easier or harder than Switzerland, Croatia or Spain, based on what i've seen.

Edited by Cabbage_Face

Don't think it matters which side of the draw we're on to be honest, equally tough games. It's a very open world cup, no stand out sides, the surprise packages being the teams on the other side of the draw anyway.

Let's just see how it pans out in the last 16 before getting carried away with the further rounds.

Academic argument. England's defence probably isn't good enough to beat anyone with a serious striker or two. Doesn't matter which side of the draw we may be on. See a Brazil-Argentina final myself. Group games mean nothing, seen so many good looking sides fall at the first real hurdle and so many shockers in group games progressively raise their level.

Brazil - Argentina semi maybe, but I doubt we'll see them both in the final...

That's the same type of logic as "there's no point in practising penalties because you can't recreate the pressure of a real shootout."

An easier path to the final means you have a better chance of winning. Period. And that's true whether you're England or Brazil.

Don't think it matters which side of the draw we're on to be honest, equally tough games. It's a very open world cup, no stand out sides, the surprise packages being the teams on the other side of the draw anyway.

Let's just see how it pans out in the last 16 before getting carried away with the further rounds.

I disagree. Both England and Belgium have stood out so far. Uruguay looked good too.

Croatia have impressed me the most.

LFGULVUDFE7SND3T7LW3E5KXIU.jpg

If Japan wins group H (very possible) it would be insane to want to finish first and be on the left hand side.

It would then simply be a question of how badly we wanted to reach the final, A win v Belgium would throw away any realistic chance.

But, we'd still face the same problem that France faced v Denmark in a match neither team wanted to win. Belgium are already sitting in the coveted runners-up spot. It would be hard to dislodge them as all they need to do to stay there is draw. If it followed the example of the France v Denmark game, there would be minimal effort from both sides and we'd need something so obvious that we wouldn't get away with it, like a red card or an own goal, to displace Belgium.

It would then simply be a question of how badly we wanted to reach the final, A win v Belgium would throw away any realistic chance.

But, we'd still face the same problem that France faced v Denmark in a match neither team wanted to win. Belgium are already sitting in the coveted runners-up spot. It would be hard to dislodge them as all they need to do to stay there is draw. If it followed the example of the France v Denmark game, there would be minimal effort from both sides and we'd need something so obvious that we wouldn't get away with it, like a red card or an own goal, to displace Belgium.

True, I can't see Belgium scoring. And no-one is deliberately going to get a yellow and risk a ban (or at least get closer to one). At the end England may say sod this, we're going to finish top anyway, let's try to get a goal or two for Harry.

Nope. We'd need two yellow cards.

Who was the last Saints player (current at the time) to score in the World Cup Finals before Bednarek? (I'm sure it's more obvious than I think but mind's gone blank)

Still checking but looks like Jaidi in the 2006 WC. Delgado scored in that WC too but was nit current Saints at the time.

EDIT: sorry, Jaidi didn't join us until 2009. Can't read :lol:

Edited by OttawaSaint

Apparently Delgado scored on 8th June against Mexico and Anders scored against the Argies on the 12th.

I was thinking maybe a Rasiak, Stern John or Kenwyne more recently but apparently not.

Edit: sorry misread the date! :lol:

Edited by OttawaSaint