The World Cup Thread

Lighthouse

Lawro wants it settled by goals scored in qualifying. That will be welcomed by Asians and South Americans who play many more matches than European sides.

The man remains a feckin genius.

I only turned on at the end and he was doing my ****ing head in. After goal difference, goals scored, head to head, yellow cards is better than tossing a coin. Mind you, Lawro could do it as he’s a top tosser

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I fancy us to beat Japan so I hope we win the group. If we get to the quarter finals then we shouldn't fear Brazil (or Mexico, no disrespect here!) so I hope we win tonight and win the group. While the quarter final might be easier if we finish as runners up, I don't fancy us to beat Columbia. Decent players. And Barcelona don't want Yerry Mina, we should be all over that!

Well done to Bednarek too, scored the winner. Hope he gets better for us next season and plays a key role.

So "bilan comptable" for the group stage. European teams 10, South American teams 4, traditional football nation from Central America 1, Asia 1...rest just there to make up the numbers and draw sponsorship and TV deals. FIFA needs to go back to the old values. Europe and South America 25 spots, others 7.

I’d rather see England top the group and play Japan in the next round than Columbia, who look like a very dangerous side. If we get past Japan, the QF will be more difficult against Brazil/Mexico but with Spain or Croatia likely to make the semis in the “easier” half of the draw, we’re looking at a difficult path to the final wherever we go. Our dodgy defence will play teams well-equipped to exploit it, on either half of the draw.

They look miles better than us in all areas. First real test we’ve had, Panama and Tunisia are really pure trash.

Not sure what they expect is going to happen. With Deplh and Dier against Dembele and Fellani. Totally being bossed out of it.

A very changed side this, all we are learning here is that Belgium have greater squad depth. That is not a surprise.

Reserve squads or not, a performance as bad and as lifeless as this kills momentum, confidence and fan morale. That’s a killer in tournament football.

What are your expectations of England? Genuine question

We’re not as good as the media have claimed. We beat two amateur outfits, but that still gave us momentum and sort of galvanised the country. Should never have made 8 changes. A performance like this kills it. I expect us to get to the quarters or semis tbh. But there’s no denying that momentum can take you into unexpected territory.

I know he is young but that Trent - Alexander kid can't cross to save his life he is no JWP on dead balls either.

Tbf some of his deliveries in a Liverpool shirt this year have been brilliant. Hasn’t had a good game tonight though for sure. Good talent though.