The World Cup Thread

Lighthouse

Someone needs to shut that dopey bird on BBC highlights up. Her and that stuffed shirt Upson are hopeless

I don't share your contempt for women in general but I agree she was annoying.

I assume she is in the England women's team and has played at what would be non-league level in the men's games and it showed in her analysis. She offered expert insights such as "part of a fullback's games is to put crosses in but they've also got to defend."

Upson was just bland and forgettable.

He's right about high-pitched commentators being annoying - both male and female.

There are plenty of women commentators on the cricket, for example, whose voices are low enough and it's no issue at all.

Having all these chicks on is just a tick box, they’re on because they’ve got a vagina, no other reason. None of them have played men’s football at any level and this is a men’s football competition. How would they feel if a bloke was a pundit on netball, they’d be kicking off about that. I’ve no problem with them hosting the show, but commentating and punditry, not for me. I would be insulted if I only got my job because I’ve got a co-ck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Having all these chicks on is just a tick box, they’re on because they’ve got a vagina, no other reason. None of them have played men’s football at any level and this is a men’s football competition. How would they feel if a bloke was a pundit on netball, they’d be kicking off about that. I’ve no problem with them hosting the show, but commentating and punditry, not for me. I would be insulted if I only got my job because I’ve got a co-ck.

Football commentary is almost never insightful or original. In fact, due to their commitment to always sticking with their first reaction to an incident regardless of what subsequently becomes clear, much of what commentators say bears almost no relation to what's taking place on the pitch, making questions of authority and experience pretty moot.

If you don't like listening to women's voices while watching sport, at least have the balls to be honest about it.

Having all these chicks on is just a tick box, they’re on because they’ve got a vagina, no other reason. None of them have played men’s football at any level and this is a men’s football competition. How would they feel if a bloke was a pundit on netball, they’d be kicking off about that. I’ve no problem with them hosting the show, but commentating and punditry, not for me. I wouldn’t be insulted if I only got my job because I am a co-ck.

Must have missed all the women kicking off about men commentating on women’s tennis, women’s athletics, women’s swimming...etc etc.

Do you feel threatened by it? Bless.

Do you feel threatened by it? Bless.

Of course and he’s the type who’d get all up in arms and ask, “why don’t we have straight people parade” or “why don’t we have white lives matter”, “why isn’t there international men’s day” etc.

Must have missed all the women kicking off about men commentating on women’s tennis, women’s athletics, women’s swimming...etc etc.

You’ve missed all the feminism stuff going in lately?

Steph McGovern on the Beeb had a right gripe (and threw in a bit of the class system for an added bonus)

Now her Lego head is never off the BBC

Steph McGovern on the Beeb had a right gripe (and threw in a bit of the class system for an added bonus)

About tennis, athletics and swimming commentary?

Yeah that was an ugly dive. Making the deliberate decision to trail a leg in the direction of the oncoming defender rather than shooting is pretty ****ty

They are easily the best shyt-house side in the competition

All over the park they have horrible players who - in some case - are bloody good

About tennis, athletics and swimming commentary?

Sports broadcaster Jacqui Oatley was the first female commentator to appear on Match of the Day in 2007. She presents and commentates for the BBC, Five Live and ESPN.

“When I first started, there were so few women in the press box at football matches and that had to change. There was an assumption that you were in there because you were someone's girlfriend or from the press office. I also think is it about time women had the opportunity to work the top footballing commentator jobs in the country and I will continue to be the champion of that.”

There you go.

Sports broadcaster Jacqui Oatley was the first female commentator to appear on Match of the Day in 2007. She presents and commentates for the BBC, Five Live and ESPN.

“When I first started, there were so few women in the press box at football matches and that had to change. There was an assumption that you were in there because you were someone's girlfriend or from the press office. I also think is it about time women had the opportunity to work the top footballing commentator jobs in the country and I will continue to be the champion of that.”

There you go.

That doesn’t sound like “kicking off” to me, she sounds quite calm and collected.

I think some of you metro sexuals don’t get it.

Women pundits- Played or managed zero games in men’s football, chick football is ****ing woeful, it’s not the same sport. They’ve done nothing to deserve being a pundit, if they didn’t have a vagina they wouldn’t be doing so.

Women commentators- Don’t need any game experience, but their annoying whiny voices don’t suit football commentary.

Women presenters- Just as good as men.

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

Of course and he’s the type who’d get all up in arms and ask, “why don’t we have straight people parade” or “why don’t we have white lives matter”, “why isn’t there international men’s day” etc.

And why do I have I repressed feelings and want to do it with men?

No problem with female commentators in principle. However, the ones that have been used thus far in football have irritating, too-high voices. It ends up sounding like a kid's homework project.

Grating.

Agree with that. Why not have a selection of male and female commentators and then let people vote for the ones they find less irritating- plenty of male commentators just as annoying. Let the people decide.

Agree with that. Why not have a selection of male and female commentators and then let people vote for the ones they find less irritating- plenty of male commentators just as annoying. Let the people decide.

Many find their way after a while.

However there is an appalling female one but I actually like hearing her now for the laughs. Beyond dreadful takes some doing

Having all these chicks on is just a tick box, they’re on because they’ve got a vagina, no other reason. None of them have played men’s football at any level and this is a men’s football competition. How would they feel if a bloke was a pundit on netball, they’d be kicking off about that. I’ve no problem with them hosting the show, but commentating and punditry, not for me. I would be insulted if I only got my job because I’ve got a co

This x100. Female pundits are doing my head in

Many find their way after a while.

However there is an appalling female one but I actually like hearing her now for the laughs. Beyond dreadful takes some doing

Yep. It's weird though because I think gabby logan is superb and she's undoubtedly female. I think it's true that the register of the female voice does not lend itself well to a game with loads of excitement but then Victoria Pendleton was brilliant at the Olympics so maybe they just need a better female commentator. Choosing one on competence rather than because it fulfills a quota would help.

Why should competence play a part in choosing women? It doesn’t appear to do so with many men.
Competence should play a part with any commentator appointment regardless of sex. Appointing some decent men and then some terrible ones doesn't mean it's then OK to appoint some terrible women. Most women just appointed because they have some connection to football. Personally. I'd hold some open auditions and appoint the best commentator that way. Would solve a lot of the accusations of quotas. Edited by hypochondriac

I would have had you down for a Piers Morgan fan.

Agree about Steph but that isn’t a gender thing. Naga and Louise are excellent.

Competence should play a part with any commentator appointment regardless of sex. Appointing some decent men and then some terrible ones doesn't mean it's then OK to appoint some terrible women. Most women just appointed because they have some connection to football. Personally. I'd hold some open auditions and appoint the best commentator that way. Would solve a lot of the accusations of quotas.

I didn’t say it did. It is just that people with vagina are just as capable as commenting and commentating on football as men. What anyone has between their legs shouldn’t be an issue.