The World Cup Thread

Lighthouse

It’s bizarre.

He has been very poor again. As has young.

Gareth for some reason, likes them both

Both have offered nothing. If Sterling can't boost his confidence against this level of opposition, it's time for a change.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Should get a relatively soft L16 game but I still fully expect us to be annihilated by the first decent team we face, which is looking like the quarters. (Belgium is a bit of a nothing game now).

But honourable exit at quarter final stage is just fine by me as a significant improvement on recent tournaments.

Should get a relatively soft L16 game but I still fully expect us to be annihilated by the first decent team we face, which is looking like the quarters. (Belgium is a bit of a nothing game now).

But honourable exit at quarter final stage is just fine by me as a significant improvement on recent tournaments.

Tend to agree. We were good up top today, but even against Panama we had some pretty dodgy moments at the back. Also, when we made changes we looked significantly weaker.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Took our chances today unlike against Tunisia which was great. However Sterling needs to be benched - goal scoring is mandatory in my book if you want to be considered an England striker - plus I'm not atall convinced by the defence. I reckon they'd wobble badly against decent opposition.

That said so far I'm enjoying this England team far more than any of the others that I've endured over the last 15 odd years. At least they look lively.

Took our chances today unlike against Tunisia which was great. However Sterling needs to be benched - goal scoring is mandatory in my book if you want to be considered an England striker - plus I'm not atall convinced by the defence. I reckon they'd wobble badly against decent opposition.

That said so far I'm enjoying this England team far more than any of the others that I've endured over the last 15 odd years. At least they look lively.

This.

Soon as we face some quality our left side will get ripped apart

We still need more. We're level on goal difference but Belgium are ahead of us on goals scored. A draw with Belgium would see them win the group.

Incorrect. GD is the same so it goes on disciplinary. We have less yellows so a draw and a better fair play position would see us top the group.

Incorrect. GD is the same so it goes on disciplinary. We have less yellows so a draw and a better fair play position would see us top the group.

It is now, but at the time it was written (half time) we were 5-0 up and both teams were +6 goal difference. Belgium were 8 scored v 2 conceded and we were 7-1. You are right as we are now 8-2 at the end of the game, it does go on disciplinary record, whic we lead we 2 yellow cards to Belgium's 3.

Columbia have woken up now. James, falcao, Mina, caudrado, Quintero. Class in that side.

Expect them to beat Senegal and Japan to best Poland. I have a hunch we’ll end up playing Columbia you know.

Forgetful tournament for Poland. Absolutely dreadful. Was embarrassing watching bedernak knowing he is one of ours.

Bednerak is a kid in defenders terms , he is playing in the premier league as a beginner , learning his trade , called up for his country in the World Cup and his team is woeful , shall we all give him a chance to improve or shall we agree with the jaded old has been doing the commentary ?

Bednerak is a kid in defenders terms , he is playing in the premier league as a beginner , learning his trade , called up for his country in the World Cup and his team is woeful , shall we all give him a chance to improve or shall we agree with the jaded old has been doing the commentary ?

Or we could agree that unless Hughes wants to carry on with 5-3-2 that he continues his development at a side pushing for promotion as Targett did?

Certainly, whilst Jan has made some good progress, the pathetic back patting article in the DT after the Swansea game on buying him and Hoedt (!) looks horribly premature. Surprised Les could put his fork down long enough to dictate some copy to Jeremy Wilson who seems unable to develop his own.

Who was the ITV commentator covering the Poland vs Colombia game? Dreadful. Non-stop barrage of statistics and cheap editorializing—making obvious points over and over. Why not just describe the game and tell us who has the ball—you know, the basic stuff.

Jon Champion. I think he and Ally Mccoist work pretty well together.

Funny you were talking about CB - Yosh is in the said Guardian team

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jun/24/world-cup-team-so-far-cristiano-ronaldo

Maya Yoshida, Japan centre-half

Outstanding in the win over Colombia, who were reduced to 10 men but still exerted plenty of pressure, which Yoshida helped to repel, negating any aerial threat from the South Americans. He was also a menace when he went forward for set pieces. An honourable mention must also go to Croatia’s Dejan Lovren. Rating 7

(note the last bit - Lovren gets a mention too - don't believe it myself)

Had to drive a fair way after the game and listening to the phone-ins after our game today.

A fair few mentioned that sterling was brilliant and got two assists.

I know he passed the ball 5 years for Lingard to score a belter....: but the rest of it????

Why are there always genuine hotties at the world cup? I've seen one or two nice girls at Saints matches over the years but never anything close to some of the scorchers you get at the World Cup Finals. Are they FIFA stooges? Do they get Blattered at the after party? Do Maradonna and Valderama snort lines off their tits?

Senegal v Columbia is going to be quite a game. Too close to call.

It promises to be a cracker. Two very good attacking sides, with both needing to win. I'm really looking forward to this one.

Edit: Correction, Senegal only need a draw, but Colombia need a win. So still set up very nicely for a great match.

Edited by Dark Munster