The World Cup Thread

Lighthouse

Surely being one of the best players in his position in the World Cup is the very definition of World Class.

Trippier has played very well so far but would anyone have said that he was world class before the WC? Yoshi played well for Japan in their 4 matches and now people are calling for him to be the Saints captain and , presumably, be first name on the team sheet when before he was seen as an adequate cover at CB and nothing more. Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar and Suarez are all definately world class players but none of them have played up to their standards in the WC. It is a one off competition where, at the most, you get to play 7 matches. Anyone can shine or look poorer than they are in a handful of matches. If Trippier is indeed a world class full back, he will need to demonstrate that in the Premiership and CL matches next season too. To be world class you have to do it week in, week out.

So what's the lineup? Can't say I've really warmed to many of the players. Doesn't help that there's no Saints involved. Pleased for Southgate though.

Southgate's stock has definately risen through this competition. He seems to have a blind spot as far as Sterling is concerned though. Having said that old jazz hands will probably we the match winner today! Good luck England.

As for Belgium, I dont understand why they get so much grief. So many class players, strong team belief and they are the ones to beat if you want to with the cup.

Can't see us keeping a clean sheet. Need the 2nd goal #saintssupportermode
As the Columbia game aptly proved. I do hope we don't try and sit on one nil.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Sterling is the one player Sweden don't know how to defend against, just needs to improve his finishing. Alli and Lingard have stuck out for me as poor.

Agreed, Sterling winds me up but he is causing them problems and asking the questions.

My gut feeling is still a draw though, think we'll flag and the Swedes will pop one in, then on to penalties.....