The World Cup Thread

Lighthouse

Is there anyone still saying we should have gone all out against Belgium.

Sweden or Brazil, let me think. Which one do we want?

When I I’ve got a bit of time I’ll look back through some posts and see who the idiots were

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A bit smug considering England won a sudden death skills contest at the end. It's not like they on 3-0 or anything.

imagine Shrek skippering our lot last night. Probably would have sparked up his fag before swearing at England fans after ballooning his penalty

...........having spotted a cheeky old Babushka in the crowd giving him the eye and distracting him with thoughts of banging her like a loose screen door in a Tornado later that evening!!

A bit smug considering England won a sudden death skills contest at the end. It's not like they on 3-0 or anything.

I was one of the "idiots" who didn't care what side we went on, as we found out last night, every game is hard. I always prefer a team that attacks you anyway, much more chance of breaking and having an opening. :scared:

Edited by Cabbage_Face

Yes but they now have Sweden, not Brazil.

Not smug, sensible.

We Swedes looking forward to the game on sat - you are big favourites and IF - a big IF we should beat England it would be such a big thing for Swedish football it would be unbeliveble huge for us. At least I hope we will not see one singe player doing a VAR sign to the ref or trying to do a Ronaldo and get penalties by diving. That would just be embarrising ; )

Worth pointing out that Sweden beat out Holland to second place in the UEFA qualifying stages, went through Italy 1-0 on aggregate in the subsequent playoffs, lost a heartbreaker to Germany in the group rounds, and stuffed Mexico 3-0 before making it to the round of 16 top of the group. Sweden has a decent record against supposedly favoured teams.

They are of the exact same quality as Colombia, minus the foul play. So no won't be easy. They are not going to be open and expansive, attack all game, they will sit in and wait for the one or two chances they will get. We can beat them, we have Kane.

I get excited when England are in a QF even if we had beaten, Hedge End Rangers, Isle of White and the North Pole, try it, let your hair down and have fun.

its weird, he demanded people got of Saints players back and enjoy the ride when puel bored the place out with 1-0 defeats at home or games where we would be lucky to have 1 shot on target

Edited by Batman

its weird, he demanded people got of Saints players back and enjoy the ride when puel bored the place out with 1-0 defeats at home or games where we would be lucky to have 1 shot on target

Maybe unlike England, ALWAYS has never been disappointed by Saints before, so isnt the glass half-empty type.

Edited by shurlock

I have not got on any players back regarding the tournament just not overly excited by what i`ve seen and would not condone doing so ..good try but wrong again.

I have not got on any players back regarding the tournament just not overly excited by what i`ve seen and would not condone doing so ..good try but wrong again.

most people were not overly excited about the last two saints seasons. Didnt stop you being a ***t

Edited by Batman

Sweden is the most boring team in this World Cup but as there are almost no teams anymore capable to play a very defensive opponent, they are tough to beat. They beat The Netherlands and France in their qualification round and beat Italy in the final qualification. In Russia they beat Mexico and lost the game against Germany in injury time. As England doesn't have a creative player like de Bruyne, I guess it will be another really boring game to watch but you need to win those too to get to the final...

Hopefully England will try some shots from outside the box and one will get in. That should be enough.

most people were overly excited about the last two saints seasons. Didnt stop you being a ***t

Never bothered you either even when you had you previous name Delldays or was it Dulldays

Again i don`t care about how i`m perceived unlike you who want to be liked... keep trying you have a long way to go...

Do we still miss Pelle or is he Shyte still... :lol:

Edited by ALWAYS_SFC

That’s been the problem for years, people still wet their pants over us beating Cameroon in ‘90. Still bang on about ‘96, when the truth is we underperformed in both tournaments. If you don’t get to the final, you might as well go home with the Germans, losing in a quarter or semi should be meaningless, not open top bus parade time ala ‘90.

You said in Italia 90 (Semi-final) and Euro 96 (Semi final) England underachieved and as far as you're concerned if we don't win the whole thing we might as well have gone home in the group stage like Germany.

We're still three more wins away from getting out of the underachievement zone, right?

As you well know I actually said “if you don’t get to the final, you might as well go home with the Germans”.

Do you understand that underachievement is measured against what you should achieve as opposed to what you did achieve. We should have won ‘96 with the players we had, the average opposition and the home advantage, that doesn’t mean not winning the tournament is underachieving every time. Liverpool of Bob Paisley would think losing a European cup final as underachieving, doesn’t mean Klopp’s mob underachieved last season does it?

As average as this lot are they should be good enough to get to the final. We’re the highest ranking side left in our half of the draw. It’ll be embarrassing if a load of soppy arses get all emotional and soft like they did in 90 & 96 if we get knocked out in the semi final.

Perhaps that is where we have been going wrong all these years? Maybe we should have been looking at throwing certain matches in order to proceed? As for Brazil or Sweden, have you stopped to think how we struggle to break down strongly defensive teams and maybe, just maybe, a team that comes at us might just leave some space for our poorly formed attack to get some chances? None of us knows if we would have played better last night if we had put out a strong team against Belgium. Those rested certainly didnt look any fresher but who knows, with another game under their belts playing in the strongest team, maybe they would have won it without the penalty lottery?

I'm impressed! A post that not only argues that the other half of the draw may be as good or better, but also that penalties are a lottery. :thumbup:

It was a poor and boring game we played, with not much in the way of goal threat and too much of the Puel/Pellegrino p*ssing about at the back. Thankfully when we play teams like Colombia, Tunisia, Panama, their defences gift us chances to score from the penalty spot, which has lifted Kane's chances of the Golden Boot no end. We should be thankful that James Rodriguez wasn't fit to play. Maybe the Colombians' cheating was increased accordingly because of his absence, but it certainly was very bad, and I'm surprised that they ended the match with still 11 players. Apart from the usual play-acting and niggly fouls of the Latin teams, there was the incident of one of their players scuffing the penalty spot. As the offence was viewed by us on the box, then presumably it was also observed by VAR. Why wasn't this brought to the attention of the referee and the player sent off? That would stop this dead in its tracks.

It was great that we won and buried the curse of the penalty shoot-out in the process, but I don't personally think that Southgate's team choice was great, nor the tactics, or the substitution timing or choices. And I also think that Japan would have beaten us on that performance. We will have to have much more of a cutting edge to beat the Swedes and they won't be gifting us penalties to get us over the line. Sorry to put a damper on the euphoria, but we are more limping along rather than flying. That isn't to say that the forthcoming matches can't be won, but we need to buck up our ideas if we want to go all the way.

Worth pointing out that Sweden beat out Holland to second place in the UEFA qualifying stages, went through Italy 1-0 on aggregate in the subsequent playoffs, lost a heartbreaker to Germany in the group rounds, and stuffed Mexico 3-0 before making it to the round of 16 top of the group. Sweden has a decent record against supposedly favoured teams.

Yes indeed. England are certainly not big favourites. Of course, the Swedes would love us to think that! ;)

As average as this lot are they should be good enough to get to the final. We’re the highest ranking side left in our half of the draw. It’ll be embarrassing if a load of soppy arses get all emotional and soft like they did in 90 & 96 if we get knocked out in the semi final.

Rankings are bs. Germany No 1, out. Portugal no 4, out. Argentina no 5, out. Poland No 8, out. Chile No 9, Out. Peru No 10, Out. Denmark No 11, out. Russia rank 70, in QF, no one would've put any money on that if they looked it on paper.

As we all know with Cup comps, rankings mean Zero. Its all about momentum, turning up on the day and loads of luck.

I won't get Soppy if Sweden beat us, they are beatable.

if seedings meant anything, no way would a Puel team nearly win the League Cup or (ffs) a Pellegrino side get to an FA Cup semi final

I know those competitions do not have seedings but if they did, no way would we be in the top 4 or top 2

FIFA Rankings are a mess, Argentina being 5th for example.

Poland are what, 9th? they are fecking shyte

Peru are 11th lol

6 of the top 10 are our or did not even qualify

obviously, the rankings will change in a few weeks and we will probably go back into the top 10

Peru are 11th lol

6 of the top 10 are our or did not even qualify

obviously, the rankings will change in a few weeks and we will probably go back into the top 10

Excatly. Anyone that uses Fifa rankings has a problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maradona says Colombia were robbed, England are thieves, Kane dived for the penalty and should have been carded, and that he cheered when Henderson missed.
Very upsetting that, coming from such a paragon of honesty.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Poland cheated the system to ensure they were seeded for the WC by deliberately not playing any friendlies. Their ranking points came exclusively from comforably topping a weak qualifying group.

The FIFA rankings are and always have been farcical.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

What has any of the above 10 posts to do with the theme?

Nothing will happen fella, the same handful of boring ****s go round and round in circles ruining this site for anyone that likes the odd mooch on here. Mods do nothing about it so no one bothers to pay a fiver anymore.

Can people please stay on topic. Steve and I are slightly busier these days than when we first set up Saintsweb, so moderation hasn't been what was. It also means we're more likely to just mass delete comments rather than take a considered approach. Please take anything off-topic to an off-topic area.

Moving on to Sweden...

Can the team now advance to making some chances from playing attacking football and not rely on WWF moves for goals

We created more chances in open play in the last 15 minutes of extra time than Spain did in 120 against Russia, who are worse than Colombia.

And overall have created more chances than I have seen Brazil create.

You can only try and beat what is in front of you and if the opposition play the whole game basically trying to stop you playing by any means possible and show next to no intent to win the game themselves then you take what you can get whether it's a penalty or whatever.

England's tempo and positive play at this World Cup has been the best I have seen from an England team since Euro 96.

However long you have been watching England, the lesson must surely be well learned that enjoying the rare good moments is the only way to go.

Can't remember when I last actually looked forward to an England game so much as the one coming up.

If we lose trying to play decent football, and giving it our all, we can't ask more than that.

I wasn't looking forward to this world cup at all but now I can't wait for the England games and as each match passes I feel more optimistic! Still think we'll lose in the final though but you never know .

I wasn't looking forward to this world cup at all but now I can't wait for the England games and as each match passes I feel more optimistic! Still think we'll lose in the final though but you never know .

I think anything Semi-Final on-wards would represent a great WC. I'd be disapointed if we don't at least get to the semi! (and then a third place playoff as well)