The World Cup Thread

Lighthouse

I wasn't looking forward to this world cup at all but now I can't wait for the England games and as each match passes I feel more optimistic! Still think we'll lose in the final though but you never know .

I think this is why most of us are enjoying it. Expectation was so low, not just with England but the whole farce of giving it to Russia in the first place. Ignoring the rights and wrongs of awarding it to them and also Qatar, the organisation, stadiums, massive South American support and, most of all, the football has put the spark back into football for a lot of us. And 2 mostly sh*te years watching SFC are fading by the day.

n2yces.jpg

Another disgraceful display by a South American team at the World Cup. It reminds me of Argentina vs England in 1966.

The ref was partly at fault for not cracking down early on and establishing his authority. He lost control and it only encouraged the Colombians to try the familiar tricks of gamesmanship and cheating.

A stain, unfortunately, on what has been a World Cup free of most of that type of nonsense.

I think this is why most of us are enjoying it. Expectation was so low, not just with England but the whole farce of giving it to Russia in the first place. Ignoring the rights and wrongs of awarding it to them and also Qatar, the organisation, stadiums, massive South American support and, most of all, the football has put the spark back into football for a lot of us. And 2 mostly sh*te years watching SFC are fading by the day.

n2yces.jpg

Spot on!

Columbia are moaning seriously? Ffs cry me a river. I'm guessing they are oblivious to the penalty spot scuffing. Couldn't watch the game but I saw that on twitter and its a disgrace.

250,000 clicks isn’t hard to get these days. I means it about how many times Donald Trump gets called a cnt after each of his Tweets.

The sheer front of this guy in calling our win a "monumental theft", with seemingly no hint of irony whatsoever :x

Come on, Diego's getting a rough ride here, it's not like he was ever banned from football for drug abuse, or cheated to win a football match (that really was divine intervention) and his nation's alleged dirty, cheating antics in 1966 were just all made up. He's just misunderstood.

#prayforElPibedeOro

However long you have been watching England, the lesson must surely be well learned that enjoying the rare good moments is the only way to go.

Can't remember when I last actually looked forward to an England game so much as the one coming up.

If we lose trying to play decent football, and giving it our all, we can't ask more than that.

I really hope we do but we will need less passengers in the team like we had against Columbia, Henderson offers nothing, Alli has been poor in all his appearances this tournament,

Young does nothing so i hope they are dropped but i feel it will be the same side.

Time for a petition from the indignant Columbia supporters. 250,000 signatues so far...

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/england-vs-colombia-over-170000-12858463

Moaning about our players going down in the box? Or wrestled to the ground? If their players weren't so thick, they would have noticed from past matches that referees would not tolerate that sort of behaviour and that if they wished to give away penalties, that was one way to go about it. I wonder how many signatures an English petition would attract if it suggested that the Colombian team should have been forced to take their penalties in the shoot-out from the spot that their player had badly scuffed up?

I watched the game with my Nipper and grandsons and am of the opinion that the Referee should have reached in his pocket, withdrew the yellow card and held it up into the faces of the screaming whinging Colombians and said"Back off or else. I'm the Referee and I make the decisions" How different that match would have been.I remember the Manure players doing the same thing in the Fergie years and he backed off from the confrontation.

Maguire dived and was lucky not to get booked but it's not like we were awarded a pen so it's not a big deal. Apart from that, I'm not sure what we are supposed to have done wrong.

They should have had two red cards, at least.

They were lucky the referee was so lenient with them.

I really hope we do but we will need less passengers in the team like we had against Columbia, Henderson offers nothing, Alli has been poor in all his appearances this tournament,

Young does nothing so i hope they are dropped but i feel it will be the same side.

Henderson offers nothing? What game did you watch on Tuesday night? He broke up Colombian attacks, linked well between the defence and Sterling/Lingard. I agree that his final ball can be poor at times but we don't have a really creative player in the squad (Lallana was rightly left at home after having no game time this year and Wilshere would have broken something by now). His direct replacement is Dier or possibly Delph.

Alli looked lacking in fitness, but he also was doing a number on Quintero. People forget that occasionally you have to deal with the opposition threats too. I would like to see Rose brought in ahead of Young, only because it gives a more natural balance to the side. We might see RLC in for Alli based on a possible injury, maybe starting Rashford ahead of Sterling (although I thought Sterling had a good game on Tuesday - we need to give him the ball in more space if possible).

If you had told me that England needed to beat Sweden and then one of Croatia or Russia to reach a World Cup Final before this tournament I would have bitten your hand off. This is the best opportunity since 1966 and the good news is that the Swedes realise this too. Looking through the squad we have got plenty of players who have played in big Premier League and European games already - check out the Swedish squad. I am not underestimating them, they play to a structure and pattern which is difficult to break down - but so far this tournament no team has had a go at them (other than Germany in the last 20 minutes). Blitz them like Spurs, City, Liverpool do - play at a Premier League pace and see how they cope?

I am probably being overly positive, but I do feel that if we play at or near our best tomorrow we will win comfortably.

I watched the game with my Nipper and grandsons and am of the opinion that the Referee should have reached in his pocket, withdrew the yellow card and held it up into the faces of the screaming whinging Colombians and said"Back off or else. I'm the Referee and I make the decisions" How different that match would have been.I remember the Manure players doing the same thing in the Fergie years and he backed off from the confrontation.

What referees need to do, and so rarely actually do it, is call either one or both captains across, and give them a little talking to. If they do that, then authority is maintained/regained and there can be little complaint with subsequent punishments.

Maguire dived and was lucky not to get booked but it's not like we were awarded a pen so it's not a big deal. Apart from that, I'm not sure what we are supposed to have done wrong.

They should have had two red cards, at least.

They were lucky the referee was so lenient with them.

He signalled to the ref that it wasn’t a pen. Their guy should have gone for the head butt and so should have Henderson. Agree that the ref should have called the captains together and warned them both that red cards are on the way if the crazy stuff continues. Columbia should face some action for their poor behaviour and post match comments. They really seem to believe that their behaviour was ok!

The sheer front of this guy in calling our win a "monumental theft", with seemingly no hint of irony whatsoever :x

When you consider he was probably one of Pablo Escobar's best customers you can see why the coke-head loon was getting so upset (he was actually known for visiting Escobar when he was banged up)

Time for a petition from the indignant Columbia supporters. 250,000 signatues so far...

Some are suggesting the game should be replayed, this may not be such a bad idea, could we get the 'Hand of God' game replayed?

He signalled to the ref that it wasn’t a pen. Their guy should have gone for the head butt and so should have Henderson. Agree that the ref should have called the captains together and warned them both that red cards are on the way if the crazy stuff continues. Columbia should face some action for their poor behaviour and post match comments. They really seem to believe that their behaviour was ok!

Agree this, and that thought was going through my mind Tue night. Call either the captains together or the respective managers and make that point!

Stupid, just send people off straight away for gobbing back, diving or play acting. Would soon stop it when they get banned for a few games. No other sport tolerates this sort of ****e.

I will tell you what...that dominant centre half Caceres would be handy....unlucky not to score too.

Why did we let him go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Might not have been an option. The real question is, "why the **** didn't we play him?". Could have been the difference that won us the League Cup.

Careres has looked good in the games I’ve seen... and I don’t remember him being especially crap in the few games he played for us.... anyone know why we didn’t sign him..?

Few? He played once, against the worst attack in the League.

I don't get why the club gets any criticism over Caceres. He was brought in as cover and hadn't played a competitive match in about a year. If he had started instead of Stephens, a lot of people would be upset that we were giving game time to a short term stop-gap player instead of one of our academy prospects.

Few? He played once, against the worst attack in the League.

I don't get why the club gets any criticism over Caceres. He was brought in as cover and hadn't played a competitive match in about a year. If he had started instead of Stephens, a lot of people would be upset that we were giving game time to a short term stop-gap player instead of one of our academy prospects.

Some on here just jump on anything they can to knock the club. They allegedly support. All a bit strange really. (I’ll await the normal guff from the abnormal few).

As you say stop gap and in no way should he have got in the way of Stephens progressing and learning his trade as a defender.

Looks like the Uruguay keeper came over all Forster at one point. Concussion? Flight of the ball?

Ball did swerve a bit but wow, he really read it badly.

Cacares didn't impress me much today either.