The World Cup Thread

Lighthouse

If you had to make a team from the best players of the tournament what would it look like?

Certainly have the following:

Pickford

Maguire

Alderweireld

(No idea)

(No idea)

Modric

Hazard

De Bruyne

Griezmann

Neymar

Kane

Trippier has to be in there. He has had a superb tournament so far.

They haven't been practising them apparently. Just like England of old. :mcinnes:
Criminal if true. You put all that effort in and get back in the game, to go out on a skill competition that you haven't prepared for.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

No room for Ronaldo?

I thought that. Coutinho maybe? It needs a defensive midfielder as well.

And Neymar would be absolutely nowhere near it. not even on the bench.

He has done serious damage to his nations footballing reputation in just 5matches. Embarrassment of a player.

If you had to make a team from the best players of the tournament what would it look like?

Certainly have the following:

Pickford

Maguire

Alderweireld

(No idea)

(No idea)

Modric

Hazard

De Bruyne

Griezmann

Neymar

Kane

Neymar?!

This is just a stream of consciousness, load of balls.

Criminal if true. You put all that effort in and get back in the game, to go out on a skill competition that you haven't prepared for.

If I had my way all past England managers who lost a shootout would be in jail. Well, the living ones anyway.

Real Madrid's Luka Modric is 32, Barcelona's Rakitic, 30, Juventus forward Mario Mandzukic is 32, and Inter Milan forward Perisic 29 , will they struggle after that Russia match (suggest BBC) ? They have a touch of class and this will be their last chance in a world cup plus , dare I say it , Lovren is back to his Saints form . I think England will need to tighten the defense and speed up when going forward to win this but they can do it Sterling gets it right for once !!!!

Real Madrid's Luka Modric is 32, Barcelona's Rakitic, 30, Juventus forward Mario Mandzukic is 32, and Inter Milan forward Perisic 29 , will they struggle after that Russia match (suggest BBC) ? They have a touch of class and this will be their last chance in a world cup plus , dare I say it , Lovren is back to his Saints form . I think England will need to tighten the defense and speed up when going forward to win this but they can do it Sterling gets it right for once !!!!

Very true.

It was interesting seeing 3 players on the floor struggling with injuries a minute before the extra time whistle went.

Come Wednesday I think the keeper is a non starter plus one who has a suspension.

Harry Kane the only England player who would make it into the Croatia first team, so we’ll do well to get through. This could be the first decent side we’ve played, which is when we usually go out, so this will be the first test of whether we are really any good, imo.

Having said that, it’s not just about individuals, maybe our team spirit is better.

Surely France will walk this cup though...

Harry Kane the only England player who would make it into the Croatia first team, so we’ll do well to get through. This could be the first decent side we’ve played, which is when we usually go out, so this will be the first test of whether we are really any good, imo.

Having said that, it’s not just about individuals, maybe our team spirit is better.

Surely France will walk this cup though...

Pony

Trippier

Maguire

Pickford

Would waltz into their side

Very true.

It was interesting seeing 3 players on the floor struggling with injuries a minute before the extra time whistle went.

Come Wednesday I think the keeper is a non starter plus one who has a suspension.

Modric was unbelievable last night - was still sprinting around like it was the first minute. There was one incident in ET where he literally sprinted 40 yards just to stop a ball going out for a goalkick.

Pony

Trippier

Maguire

Pickford

Would waltz into their side

Subasic is an excellent GK - would have him over Pickford, though it’s close.

Maguire is decent but not great - struggles mightily against pace. Fortunately Croatia don’t have the pace that France and Belgium do.

Kane is head and shoulders better than anything Croatia has.

Edited by shurlock

Subasic is an excellent GK - would have him over Pickford, though it’s close.

Maguire is decent but not great - struggles mightily against pace. Fortunately Croatia don’t have the pace that France and Belgium do.

Kane is head and shoulders better than anything Croatia has.

Trippier and Walker would get in at RB for them

Maguire might not be the quickest but would have him over Vida any day of the week

Agree about Kane

Such a brilliant striker.

My prediction, Belgium v England final. Premier league heavy match with two managers relegated and sacked from the top flight

I’d fancy our chances against Belgium more so than against France

Edited by Batman

Subasic is an excellent GK - would have him over Pickford, though it's close

He was seriously struggling towards the end yesterday. Had to get an outfield player to take his goal kicks for him and really should have been subbed, but they obviously wanted him in goal for the shootout so they nursed him through it. I wouldn't be surprised if he's not fit to start on Wednesday.

It's too close to call, England are better up front but Croatia are better in mid. Defences are close, gk's are also close esp in a penalty shootout. Croatia are older and have been through a couple of tough knock out games whereas England are younger and should be fresher. Both look the same standard from the penalty spot, i.e. capable of at least 1 miss from 5 pens.

However if Subasic is out on Wed then that's a huge plus for England, he's a damn good shot stopper in pen shootouts.

When England played Germany in 1990 I always had the background feeling the Germans were going to do it but this time round I really have no idea. If their GK is out though then that may swing it towards England.

Trippier has to be in there. He has had a superb tournament so far.

My word. Bookmark this. I AGREE WITH YOU :o

Trippier has been one of the standout players of the whole tournament. Genuine world class talent.

Can't help but actually like the England manager for once.

Edited by Batman

My word. Bookmark this. I AGREE WITH YOU [emoji5]

Trippier has been one of the standout players of the whole tournament. Genuine world class talent.

Can't help but actually like the England manager for once.

Yeah funny that they say ‘ you know the words’ I expect many don’t and assume they thought it was Football’s coming home.

Absolute legend

Trippier has been performing well, but Vrsaljko is a better player. Subasic is a better keeper than Pickford, and lovren is better than macguire. Their entire midfield would walk into the England side.

BUT, mandzukic, whilst top class, is not Kane, and as a team, England look more confident.

Should be a close game.

Trippier has been performing well, but Vrsaljko is a better player. Subasic is a better keeper than Pickford, and lovren is better than macguire. Their entire midfield would walk into the England side.

BUT, mandzukic, whilst top class, is not Kane, and as a team, England look more confident.

Should be a close game.

Vrsaljko is a proper player.

Should be a close game.

Trippier has been more than 'performing well'

madness