The World Cup Thread

Lighthouse

I have noticed that our chick supporters are pretty ugly compared to the rest of the world, don't know if this is editorial bias , or a fact, but the cameraman does have a job picking out decent English fillies.

They're also rude and standoffish. If you want to talk to normal women, go anywhere other than the south of England.

I have noticed that our chick supporters are pretty ugly compared to the rest of the world, don't know if this is editorial bias , or a fact, but the cameraman does have a job picking out decent English fillies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Truly bizarre. You know that the 70s ended years ago?

Dunno Mrs JBS in her Saints shirt.........out of ten I would give her one!!:D

All joking aside, here on our holibobs in Spain we have been watching the games with a few intelligent chaps that actually go and watch footie, one of them has a Wife with zero interest in footie (Harry Potter plays up front for England!!!). Chatting the other day she pipes up and says “does Mrs JBS like football?”. To which her husband said before I could answer “yes” he said “ I had a most informative conversation with her at half time in the Columbia game”.

So before you tar all treacle’s who “pollute” football with the same brush Ducky, just be warned there are a few who know their onions out there.

All joking aside, here on our holibobs in Spain we have been watching the games with a few intelligent chaps that actually go and watch footie, one of them has a Wife with zero interest in footie (Harry Potter plays up front for England!!!). Chatting the other day she pipes up and says “does Mrs JBS like football?”. To which her husband said before I could answer “yes” he said “ I had a most informative conversation with her at half time in the Columbia game”.

So before you tar all treacle’s who “pollute” football with the same brush Ducky, just be warned there are a few who know their onions out there.

Yeah, but do they know how to spell "Columbia" (sic)? ;)

There are some that are extremely knowledgable about football, they’re not the ones I’m moaning about, it’s the dopey birds who’ve suddenly decided “it’s coming home”. Personally I’m glad Mrs Duck is clueless and hates the game as I wouldn’t want her tagging along, but if your Mrs likes the game and you don’t mind that’s great. Occasionally Mrs Duck used to watch me play but I banned her after she embarrassed me in the pub. We’d just played & lost 2-1 in an important end of season game. I’d scored a penalty, which had to be retaken again for encroachment, and the second one also went it. The other lot came back to score 2 and win 2-1. Mrs Duck went ahead to the pub whilst we were showering, and the team arrived a few minutes later to the landlord and assorted locals congratulating us on securing a 2-2 draw. When they can’t even get the fundamentals right it’s pointless trying to educate them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There are some that are extremely knowledgable about football, they’re not the ones I’m moaning about, it’s the dopey birds who’ve suddenly decided “it’s coming home”. Personally I’m glad Mrs Duck is clueless and hates the game as I wouldn’t want her tagging along, but if your Mrs likes the game and you don’t mind that’s great. Occasionally Mrs Duck used to watch me play but I banned her after she embarrassed me in the pub. We’d just played & lost 2-1 in an important end of season game. I’d scored a penalty, which had to be retaken again for encroachment, and the second one also went it. The other lot came back to score 2 and win 2-1. Mrs Duck went ahead to the pub whilst we were showering, and the team arrived a few minutes later to the landlord and assorted locals congratulating us on securing a 2-2 draw. When they can’t even get the fundamentals right it’s pointless trying to educate them.

Are you a time traveler? This post is surely from 1901.

I took my daughter to a few Saints games when she was younger but she was never really interested, she once said to her Mum "I only go to keep Dad happy". However she did come and watch the Sweden game with me, even the wife came in to watch the second half. It shows that people who normally have no interest in football suddenly want to watch when the national team is doing well, I really don't see a problem with it.

Bloody hell! I came on here to catch up on world cup talk, and all I get is a load of guff from someone with latent mother/sister issues!

From someone who was not dressed up as a girl by his parents, can we talk about the footy now?

:lol:

I took my daughter to a few Saints games when she was younger but she was never really interested, she once said to her Mum "I only go to keep Dad happy". However she did come and watch the Sweden game with me, even the wife came in to watch the second half. It shows that people who normally have no interest in football suddenly want to watch when the national team is doing well, I really don't see a problem with it.

My daughter sometimes likes to come to St Mary's with me, and she really enjoyed watching the Colombia match - although got very stressed during the penalty shoot-out. But I wouldn't say she is really in to football. However, I have a couple of nieces who are season-ticket holders; one of whom also has her FA coaching badges and manages a local team. She is certainly more knowledgeable about Saints, and football in general, than many who post on here. Oh, and she looks far more like an average Swedish female football fan than an English one.

Mrs Minsk is Belorusian and has only ever been to a couple of international matches with me; but she has really got into this World Cup (supporting England first, Russia second). I think it's great that she's getting more into football, not that she has ever complained about me watching every match possible - whether it be on TV, online or going to a stadium.

Bloody hell! I came on here to catch up on world cup talk, and all I get is a load of guff from someone with latent mother/sister issues!

From someone who was not dressed up as a girl by his parents, can we talk about the footy now?

It makes a change for you to want to talk about football. ;)

I'm with you in wanting Belgium to win. Mainly because, if we get there, I couldn't handle England losing the final to the French.

I think the French are mentally weaker than the Belgians, they don't seem to handle pressure very well, so I'd prefer to face them personally.

Yeah, I agree.... Its just that i was living in France when they won it. They were such ungracious winners that the memory is clouding my own self interest.

And were they excessively dismissive of the qualities of the other teams?

When you stroll to a 3-0 victory in a WC final, I guess it's hard not to! But no I remember a lot of doubt around the game and criticism of the national side after it had spluttered through the earlier rounds.

From my time living in Southampton I found the attractive women tended to pop out on Southampton Common when the sun came out. This leaves me to believe that they must hibernate under the grass only to appear when the temperature reaches 26 C. As you are currently experiencing a heat wave I suggest that you head there.

Football is not that complicated. You have to hit the round ball thing in to the rectangular netted thing. It seems to be basically understood by men who can no longer walk straight due to excess alcohol consumption. I am sure the woman can cope.

Sounds like you embarrassed yourself. Fancy letting the other team win. I thought you were a manly man with superior football knowledge.

I heard a fact today, that I couldn't believe until I looked it up and got confirmation. Alf Ramsay in 1966 was younger than Gareth Southgate is now.

The older you get, the fuzzier time and space becomes - Steven Hawkwind.

I am guessing she had a burqa and entered the pub 5 paces behind you so damage was limited? You know you build up a profile from snippets of posts and just get that feeling that you are a Muslim - am I right?

I heard a fact today, that I couldn't believe until I looked it up and got confirmation. Alf Ramsay in 1966 was younger than Gareth Southgate is now.

He seemed like an old man to me, when I followed the World Cup campaign back in '66. But I was only 13 at the time. Your perspective certainly shifts as you get older!

Is there any button on the controller which turns Danny Murphy off? Absolute dullard and for a former player, not very insightful. Oh, and a dullard. Dullard dullard dullard.

I assume you didn’t pîss your pants laughing over his Mick Jagger gag?

Cashed out my Belgian WC bet at HT and just used £50 of the winnings to back a Belgium equalizer.

Probably pushing my luck, but still have my England WC bet open.

It's coming home.

#cheekyinsurancebet

giphy.gif

None of this happened.