The World Cup Thread

Lighthouse

Same as every tournament, we go out to the first good side we play. I don’t see this England side is anywhere near as good as previous generations, and media baffles me. We scraped through against average sides with good set pieces, no more.

Croatia France should be good, but France should walk it...

Should have put the game beyond Croatia in the 1st half, made some good chances but where was our no 9? Everywhere except where we wanted him to be, in the penalty area. Good service let down by no-one in the box.

Overall the team played pretty well and with some half decent finishing we'd have won.

It's been a great world cup for England, let's be honest - no-one ever thought they'd get this far.

Trippier my pick of England's players and really warmed to Pickford as the tourno went on.

Enjoyable World Cup. England great and did better than expected and after some utterly pathetic tournaments it's nice to get deep into a tournament and just have tgat little bit of hope.

But we lost to a better side and a team that have got to the WC final in part by defeating Argentina. We did okay getting past the middling teams we were lucky enough to meet.

Enjoyable World Cup. England great and did better than expected and after some utterly pathetic tournaments it's nice to get deep into a tournament and just have tgat little bit of hope.

But we lost to a better side and a team that have got to the WC final in part by defeating Argentina. We did okay getting past the middling teams we were lucky enough to meet.

Yep

It feels like you know your girlfriend will go off with someone else, but you hope she won't, then she gives some guy a hand job right in front of you and you get a pretty good idea of the situation. Wait four years, the next girlfriend won't let you down.....

We knew the England defence was suspect from the start of the tournament and this time Pickford couldn't rescue them against a stronger Croatia side. If the plan was just to outscore them that failed on a string of missed first half chances.

Normal expectations can now hopefully resume.

Oh well, still a great world cup which will live long in my memory.

No doubts that the spread of the draw has flattered our progress somewhat. The two best teams we've faced in Belgium and Croatia have beaten us. We were lucky to face the likes of Panama, Tunisia, Columbia and Sweden.

These ‘better’ sides are just a little too shrewd for us, little bit more experienced and contain that little bit of extra quality in midfield which was always going to make the difference against us.

Still, you can only beat what's in front of you. To be in the World Cup to pretty much the end is still something to remember.

It's been a reasonable campaign by England but will no doubt be looked back on with nostalgia and rose tinted spectacles. We've been comfortably beaten by the first decent side we've played if we're being honest.

Still, no shame in what we've achieved, which is something after 2016, 2014, 2010 and 2008.

They did well enough

I think this was a success and they are just starting. They are young enough to be at the next world cup and hopefully they will learn from this and strive further.

I wanted to see this, a team of youngsters play their heart out for their country and each other and we got that.

Roll on the Euros

Fair assessment really. We're all pretty disappointed I guess and it's easy to be critical of players. Easy passage no doubt, but guys done good overall.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

A gutsy performance but ultimately we have too many weak links in our starting 11. Henderson has been around for years now and is never going to be a world class CM. Young was very poor. The creative players didn't show enough quality and we didn't deserve to go through.

Such a shame and I am really disappointed to lose tonight but one thing this defeat has shown me 100% is that I would have been far more upset if Saints has lost at Swansea on that Tuesday night sending us down.

Walkers defending for their equaliser was woeful. Typical full back defending a cross.

Such a shame and I am really disappointed to lose tonight but one thing this defeat has shown me 100% is that I would have been far more upset if Saints has lost at Swansea on that Tuesday night sending us down.

Walkers defending for their equaliser was woeful. Typical full back defending a cross.

Think he was carrying a knock. Didn't respond at all.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

And for all the Mancs screaming for Rashford instead if Sterling, I've got to admit Sterling, for all his frustrating tendencies, was way better.

The only comments I've ever seen from Manc's is calling him out as a poor player. They don't really rate him at Old Trafford.

He seems to lack a football brain to me.

And for all the Mancs screaming for Rashford instead if Sterling, I've got to admit Sterling, for all his frustrating tendencies, was way better.

I thought Rashford was awful, also, why was he taking free kicks. Surely he should be looking to get on the end off them.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Yup, I think I was more down after our semi-final defeat to Chelsea

The only comments I've ever seen from Manc's is calling him out as a poor player. They don't really rate him at Old Trafford.

He seems to lack a football brain to me.

That's true of Alli and Lingard as well. As I said after the Colombia game, they have a lot of energy but they're just too frenetic and raw on the ball.

Well the better side won, I’ve enjoyed the ride buts let’s be honest it’s still the same old England.

Come up against good teams and it’s goodbye, we were fortunate with the draw but just not good enough.

Please tell me Ashley Young will never play left back for England again.

Young looked injured from the first second. Taking off sterling changed the game, Vida and Lovren couldn’t cope with him at all. Also Kane miss was a massive moment. Oh well proud of what they achieved, for a moment we all believed we could win a World Cup again, and that has been missing for years. So in a way, it has come home. P.s. Trippier is incredible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Southgate has done really well to get us to the semi-finals. Fair play.

Thought Dele Alli and Lindgard were average at best for most of the tournament, certainly were tonight. We didn't have that creative spark in a game where Croatia stopped our defenders from bringing the ball out and starved us of space.

We were beaten by the better side. I think France will beat them comfortably.

Preinjury Lallana would have made a big difference.

F()cksake been saying this since the start of the tournament.. in the tight games playing a load of straight runners isn't going to work, we need someone with a bit of composure who can pick a pass and unlock a game. AL is that man. Shame there was 4-5 wasted spots in the squad but meh, as a whole, England have done well.

Never want to see Young at LB again though. Ever.

Southgate has done really well to get us to the semi-finals. Fair play.

Thought Dele Alli and Lindgard were average at best for most of the tournament, certainly were tonight. We didn't have that creative spark in a game where Croatia stopped our defenders from bringing the ball out and starved us of space.

We were beaten by the better side. I think France will beat them comfortably.

If we lose to Belgium again, we'll finish the tournament with 3 defeats. But, you're right, we've done well to reach the semi-finals.

For a large chunk of the first half we were going through comfortably but from the moment we allowed them to push us back we were screwed. If we had taken our chances who knows , but the longer the match went on the more Croatia looked better - and they are not a good side. Alli never liked fit enough and we were reliant on a few players when we needed everyone to step up. Our one ace card n Kane want used well enough. But wtf , we got to a semi final with a team no one rated, so fair play to Southgate and the squad. As for Lovren, what a tosser!