The World Cup Thread

Lighthouse

So now that’s done, it’s our turn. Hope we win, we could give France a good game. Whatever the result tomorrow, this side has made me interested in English National Side and done a cracking job considering the age. It’s coming home?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always fancied france to go far tbh. They're not the most explosive team, which is a surprise given the players they have, but they're very resolute and effective in the moments they need to be.

Tactically astute team and very, very difficult to break through. Bobby just didn't have any real idea how to effect it.

Haha. It’s weird how you go on as if it is a dig. Chefs are pretty well respected at work.

Most could not and would not do their job

Each to their own. But carry on as miles off what i really do and where I work. Which is good news. So cheers

France much better than England but anything can happen on the day. Croatia first up.

Exactly so. I've been following Saints long enough to recall some unlikely wins that we've pulled out when very few gave us a chance. 1976 for example?

There was me thinking Belgium were going to go all the way. Shows that I know absolutely zilch about football.

Me too. So much quality in the team. But Lukaku and De Bruyne were below par tonight. Had they been been on form I think they would have done it. Fair play to the French though, the did a job on Belgium and defended very well. Croatia will be tough. No point in thinking about France just yet!

Is there any button on the controller which turns Danny Murphy off? Absolute dullard and for a former player, not very insightful. Oh, and a dullard. Dullard dullard dullard.

I believe that if you use the red button on BBC, you can have Radio 5 Live commentary with the game instead.

France were incredibly well organised at the back tonight and gave Belgium very little in the way of chances despite their possession. When you consider the attacking talent Belgium have in Hazard and De Bruyne, and a finisher like Lukaku, snuffing out their threat is no mean feat. Add in the explosive pace of Mbappe on the break and they will be very hard to beat in the final, and would be worthy winners of the cup IMO.

France were incredibly well organised at the back tonight and gave Belgium very little in the way of chances despite their possession. When you consider the attacking talent Belgium have in Hazard and De Bruyne, and a finisher like Lukaku, snuffing out their threat is no mean feat. Add in the explosive pace of Mbappe on the break and they will be very hard to beat in the final, and would be worthy winners of the cup IMO.

Think despite all the snappy play Belgium were so desperate to score they lost any finesse that their individuals were capable of De Brunye looked at times like he just done the broom race with his shooting and passing towards the end.

Think despite all the snappy play Belgium were so desperate to score they lost any finesse that their individuals were capable of De Brunye looked at times like he just done the broom race with his shooting and passing towards the end.

That last ball for Lukaku was a peach, though.

Nowhere near as close but reminded me of Gascoigne's lunge for that cross in Euro '96.

I felt Lukaku should have thrown himself at that ball as Gazza did all those years ago.

Ever since the final whistle on Saturday, I have felt confident and calm. Until this morning. Woke up and immediately felt nerves and butterfly's. Almost exactly the same feeling as the Swansea game in May. How can football do this to someone!?

Same here. I keep trying to rationalise things by reminding myself that we've already got further than anyone hoped or predicted and, as such, winning tonight is just a bonus, but the rest of my molecules aren't interested in such pragmatisim and are pumping away as if this is the most important game in the world ever.... :)

It was! It seemed to surprise Lukaku. I think someone like Kane would have made more of an effort to get his head on the end of it. It was screaming out for a diving header. When Mertens came on he put some great crosses into the box but Lukaku didn’t get a sniff.

Ever since the final whistle on Saturday, I have felt confident and calm. Until this morning. Woke up and immediately felt nerves and butterfly's. Almost exactly the same feeling as the Swansea game in May. How can football do this to someone!?

Same. I'm useless today, can't do anything. roll on 7pm

Lets hope for a Sterling one. If Sterling turns up, we go through.

If he could just learn to pass to a team-mate who is in a better position to score, it would drastically improve our chances.

I was quite literally screaming at the TV on saturday when he looked up, saw Kane in space inside the box, and then tried to turn back outside and lost the ball. Such an infuriating player.