The United Kingdom and the Death of Boris Johnson as we know it.

CB Fry

SWF (Non Legally Binding) General Election  

193 members have voted

1. 1. SWF (Non Legally Binding) General Election

• Conservatives
    • Labour
    • Liberals
    • UKIP
    • Green
    • Brexit
    • Change UK
    • Other

5 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

When the transfer windows opens, can we just trade BoJo for Estonia’s PM?

He’s like a saints transfer at the end of Les reeds era so useless and overpaid we can’t even give him away

43 minutes ago, whelk said:

His masters fear for a Labour Govt. Upcoming By Elections will give a stark message that this is a realistic possibility. He’s gone

It's too soon to worry about the GE - a week is a long time in politics!

He'll stay for another year before he's replaced (probably by Sunak once he's sorted out how to pay tax), when they will claim to have cleaned house and replaced him with credibility.

In a twist of fate, we may yet see more chaos within Labour if Starmer is found guilty, that investigation is certainly taking a long time given how clear it was that he didn't break any rules....

8 hours ago, warsash saint said:

75% of backbenchers voted against the criminal - time is surely up!

That's assuming that he won 100% of the payroll vote. There were numerous claims on Twitter last night that there will be several resignations this morning, so let's wait and see.

34 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

That's assuming that he won 100% of the payroll vote. There were numerous claims on Twitter last night that there will be several resignations this morning, so let's wait and see.

Would be quite something, he has the most loyal (sycophantic) cabinet I think I've ever seen.  I can only imagine there will be resignations if someone (Truss) thinks they can take his job.

Whilst I expected him to win it was always about the size of the revolt.  As has been said he is in  “borrowed time”  territory.  Johnson’s leadership and government is a total disaster.  This conservative government is beyond doubt the most incompetent in living memory.  I have lived through 7 previous Tory PMs and administrations. I have never voted for any of them, however I readily excepted and respected their tenure of office, they were in the main honourable and as one would expect had a one nation conservative vision.  This excuse of a leader and administration has no vision, and hence no policies to deliver a vision, it has no morals, no dignity, no shame and very little intellect.  Their policies are; reactionary (it’s how you react that counts), populist (aimed at their dwindling core vote and ex swivelled eyed kippers) or simply vindictive (e.g. Channel 4).  When 70% plus of your foot soldiers decide your time is up, then your time is up all that remains to be decided is the moment of your leaving.  Apologists scream Corbyn would have been worse, again I did not support him, however counter factual history is not evidence of fact, just the final refuse of the indefensible 

• Like 4

oh FFS, its not about "bringing back the imperial system" its about being able to legally sell items in a format thats still widely used.

there's a reason we don't call the area in football a 16.4592 Metre Box. So why should shops be obliged to sell items as 454g when 1Lb suffices. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Nolan said:

oh FFS, its not about "bringing back the imperial system" its about being able to legally sell items in a format thats still widely used.

there's a reason we don't call the area in football a 16.4592 Metre Box. So why should shops be obliged to sell items as 454g when 1Lb suffices. 

You can still legally sell items using imperial, beer is still universally and legally sold in Pints in pubs and bars.  It is only pre-packaged goods that must be in metric (imperial can be included as as well if desired) as major business has pointed out having common system with the vast majority of our trading partners reduces costs and simplifies production.  So yet another myth about the big bad EU.

Edited by moonraker
  • Like 2

Hearing Raab parroting the line it was more than when he was elected is comical.

Their spin doctors must think they are so clever but massively underestimating voters intelligence. Anyway this is fun watching them eat themselves whilst they think they know how to manage the message. Shame have to wait over two weeks for the by elections when they are hopefully savaged.

Edited by whelk

13 minutes ago, moonraker said:

You can still legally sell items using imperial, beer is still universally and legally sold in Pints in pubs and bars.  It is only pre-packaged goods that must be in metric (imperial can be included as as well if desired) as major business has pointed out having common system with the vast majority of our trading partners reduces costs and simplifies production.  So yet another myth about the big bad EU.

image.thumb.png.806039f2c2538a05109642df91ac089e.png

Weights and measures: the law: Units of measurement - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

8 minutes ago, Nolan said:

Common we all know that this is pandering to the “take back control” crowd and has nothing to do with practicality. Yet another ploy along with a conveyor belt of ploys to distract the great unwashed from the Tory Party’s lack of vision and real policies to take us forward post Brexit.I wonder what the next stunt will be? Bringing back  £.S.D?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nolan said:

its about giving freedom of choice. why not allow shopkeepers to sell in whatever unit their customers feel comfortable with?

If it’s freedom of choice just let them make up their own systems.  Universal Controlled weights and measures were introduced in the Middle Ages to prevent fraud and mis selling, why are you so obsessed with an outdated arithmetically illogical system that the majority of people today neither understand or desire.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Nolan said:

its about giving freedom of choice. why not allow shopkeepers to sell in whatever unit their customers feel comfortable with?

Because 100% of their customers under the age of 60 are most comfortable with metric. Only the US use a corrupted version of imperial, the rest of the world is metric.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, igsey said:

Because 100% of their customers under the age of 60 are most comfortable with metric. Only the US use a corrupted version of imperial, the rest of the world is metric.

Ask anyone under 60 how big was the last TV they bought? or how big the small box in the penalty area is? or how much they weigh? or if they know their waist size?

27 minutes ago, moonraker said:

If it’s freedom of choice just let them make up their own systems.  Universal Controlled weights and measures were introduced in the Middle Ages to prevent fraud and mis selling, why are you so obsessed with an outdated arithmetically illogical system that the majority of people today neither understand or desire.

Its obviously only coming about because of brexit, but it doesn't overly bother me the way it does others - but then I use both regularly anyway.  

As for outdated? Imperial is still used by America... Its just not as clearly logical as metric. And let's be honest, its only not used in this country because EU legislation made it illegal and we suffer from over zealous enforcement. 

If they want to give people the freedom to also use imperial again then I don't have an issue myself - it's not going to replace metric is it?! 

I've seen a fair few people getting very upset by this proposal. The reality is they are getting rather swivel eyed about other people being allowed to simply use units of measurement that they are more comfortable with 🤷‍♂️. Which at worst is exercising petty control / restrictions over others, at best an irrelevance. It will fade away if it isn't used with no harm to anyone. 

Conversely, imagine what it was like for those people when they were forced to abandon imperial and adopt metric with no choice in the matter. This really is nothing to fret about in comparison?

As for costs - if a grocer wants to scribble on the price per lbs above his/her potatoes, what does it matter? We still use miles, our entire rail network is set out in chains and yards, height is mostly feet and inches, and babies are pounds and ounces... If anything, displaying both measurements might actually add better understanding and context between unit types for some people 🤷‍♂️

The only thing I can't countenance is Fahrenheit. Why! 

Edited by Saint86

1 hour ago, Nolan said:

Because in order to do so we would need a whole system of trading standard to support it.

34 minutes ago, Nolan said:

Ask anyone under 60 how big was the last TV they bought? or how big the small box in the penalty area is? or how much they weigh? or if they know their waist size?

Ask someone over 60. I’m nearly 73 and I can give you either version.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Because in order to do so we would need a whole system of trading standard to support it.

nope, because the measures are all still defined in the Weights and measure act.

Edited by Nolan

I remember the time that decimalisation was announced and we were all moaning about it to our Physics teacher. He said it was the best thing to happen to us and of course he was right. It is so much easier to work things out in decimals rather than fractions.

As for the systems nowadays, I think most of us use a bit of both. It seems to work pretty well so why change it? I fill my car up with litres of petrol. I but my jeans with a 36” waist. The speed sign are still in miles per hour. A bottle of wine is 75cls. When I use a recipe to cook my electronic scales are calibrated in both metric and imperial so whatever the measurements it doesn’t matter. I can’t even tell you the last time I heard someone say I wish we went back to imperial measurements. We were told that there are a lot more important things to worry about than Partygate. I would argue that there are a lot more important things to worry about than bringing back an archaic measuring system.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Nolan said:

Indeed. And many younger people buy their weed in ounces and their cocaine in grams (or fractions of).

I buy beer in pints and spirits in litres.

I put litres of fuel in my car, but look at miles per gallon when it comes to fuel efficiency

People should be able to buy/sell in whatever unit of measurement suits them or the customer. Has anyone refused to buy anything because it is not sold in their chosen system of measurement?

24 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I feel like the metric system is better for men's self esteem in general. Saying you have a 76mm ding dong just sounds more impressive than 3 inches.

Sexist bigot. 

Its “people” with a 76mm ding dong. People’s self esteem. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Bognor said:

Indeed. And many younger people buy their weed in ounces and their cocaine in grams (or fractions of).

I buy beer in pints and spirits in litres.

I put litres of fuel in my car, but look at miles per gallon when it comes to fuel efficiency

People should be able to buy/sell in whatever unit of measurement suits them or the customer. Has anyone refused to buy anything because it is not sold in their chosen system of measurement?

Ask any bloke how long their cock is, answer is always in inches.

Anyway, back on topic...

I've just been to visit my mum in hospital and she asked me to pick her up today's Daily Mail. I've told her on previous occasions that I would never dirty my fingers by even touching it let alone be seen buying it, but as she's in hospital and thoroughly bored I reluctantly agreed.

Fuck me. Every other paper (except the Express, of course) ran with a headline about how bad a result last night was for Johnson, and this is their take:

image.thumb.png.63b5bd13071af3198be098f60778f475.png

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Anyway, back on topic...

I've just been to visit my mum in hospital and she asked me to pick her up today's Daily Mail. I've told her on previous occasions that I would never dirty my fingers by even touching it let alone be seen buying it, but as she's in hospital and thoroughly bored I reluctantly agreed.

Fuck me. Every other paper (except the Express, of course) ran with a headline about how bad a result last night was for Johnson, and this is their take:

image.thumb.png.63b5bd13071af3198be098f60778f475.png

What it took 3 cunts to write that? Smug v Defiant - lol

25 minutes ago, whelk said:

They’re not called cocks anymore and the new term is ding dong

Some women have cocks too, i apologies for my sexism. I would request that the owners of this forum also apologies for any offence caused.

• Lighthouse changed the title to The United Kingdom and the Death of Boris Johnson as we know it.