The United Kingdom and the Death of Boris Johnson as we know it.

CB Fry

SWF (Non Legally Binding) General Election  

193 members have voted

1. 1. SWF (Non Legally Binding) General Election

• Conservatives
    • Labour
    • Liberals
    • UKIP
    • Green
    • Brexit
    • Change UK
    • Other

58 minutes ago, whelk said:

Safe to say won’t be Oliver Dowden as the media guy. Although resigning now shows no sort of backbone more political survival 

The letter was clear. He's had enough, and that he recognises that the party are on the slide. Resigning immediately has more impact than delaying it imo. Hopefully others follow. It shows the idiocy of having the confidence vote when they did though, should have waited until after this. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, egg said:

The letter was clear. He's had enough, and that he recognises that the party are on the slide. Resigning immediately has more impact than delaying it imo. Hopefully others follow. It shows the idiocy of having the confidence vote when they did though, should have waited until after this. 

Dowden is a weasel who apparently is quite the bully to cultural institutions but agree mad how they are so disorganised with timing. If vote of confidence was today he would be out

• Like 1

Wakefield was no surprise because everyone expected the Northern red wall to revert once Johnson had 'got Brexit done'. But losing a safe SW seat in a 30% swing to the LDs is catastrophic whichever way you look at it. I can't wait to see how they are going to spin this.

• Like 1

Sounds like good riddance then. Even if the party and a number of ministers turn on Boris, I reckon he'll cling on. No obvious mechanism now for getting rid of the idiot now. 

The real coward here is Boris hiding in Rwanda during the aftermath.

• Like 3

The Tories are screwed. SW turning yellow again (delighted as a Lib Dem voter), Red Wall rebuilt brick by brick and their traditional SE seats alienated by a catastrophic hard Brexit costing thousands of jobs and harming living standards. East Anglia will vote for them regardless but tricky for them to win anywhere else. If Tiverton and N Shropshire, with huge Tory majorities can go, any other rural seats could. Delighted to see the return of tactical voting as well after a long absence.

They are a corrupt populist rabble, worst in living memory and the sort of government we’d malign if it was in the global south as the inevitable product of an unstable and poor country. Disgrace for the western world. Large numbers on food banks, people earning north of £30k needing two jobs to heat and eat. Some of it is Ukraine and pandemic but a lot is also self inflicted by cheap and nasty nationalism. 

Even if the 1922 is in action again in 12 months to oust him, damage is done. 

Edited by saint1977
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, egg said:

Sounds like good riddance then. Even if the party and a number of ministers turn on Boris, I reckon he'll cling on. No obvious mechanism now for getting rid of the idiot now. 

TBF he is at Commonwealth summit that he should be at. As Alistair Campbell said he won’t be giving any sort of shit about what is on the agenda

• Lighthouse changed the title to The United Kingdom and the Death of Boris Johnson as we know it.

Raab on R4 earlier claiming the by-election results were due to voters being "distracted".

Yeah Dom. Sure. Can see it now in the polling booth...

"OK so where do I place my cro.... OOOH LOOK! A SQUIRREL! 

Oh damn, I voted for the wrong candidate. Oh well, it's done now".

• Like 2

Interesting way this is being spun by the tories.  The electorate in the two constituencies were distracted.

Distracted from what and distracted by what?

Distracted from the right wing press, the no.10 spin machine, the relentless sloganeering?

Distracted by the economic mismanagement, the lack of leadership, the immigration fascism?

What have I missed?

And the whole distraction narrative speaks volumes for the patronising and dismissive way the electorate is viewed by those in the cabinet. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, egg said:

The Tory candidate in Tiverton locked herself in a room and refused to come out and face the press. 

This has already been posted. How do you delete posts?

Edited by ecuk268
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ecuk268 said:

The Tory candidate in Tiverton locked herself in a room and refused to come out and face the press. 

This has already been posted. How do you delete posts?

Don't worry, some things are worth repeating.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Lazy woke leftie snowflake pinko lawyers promoting the so-called law and wanting to be paid - if they had their way all foreign-looking criminals would be pardoned and given the houses of our evicted war heroes! 😡

I think we've heard enough from these experts, the militant traitors need putting in their place, we have a perfectly good system where Braverman is clearly in control and hasn't been overpromoted as a yes-woman, she advises the government really accurately, and definitely shouldn't be restricted to assisting a proper solicitor by passing them the office stapler when they ask her.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, whelk said:

If ‘levelling up’ was a Labour tag line then it would be seen as communist ideology at odds with market forces.

Its a moronic soundbite, equivalent to the 'Big Society' or 'Silent Bat People'. 

The only place you level-up is in a computer game. Ken the Tesco shelf-stacker gets qualified, or gets an increase in his hourly pay, or has a better work/life balance. He doesn't get more XP.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Daily Mail: "Waaaaaaa it's not fair. They're ganging up on the Tories!"

Screenshot_2022-06-27-13-38-22-480.thumb.jpeg.4e43f7d423ae16a6d3481a790c4a1127.jpeg

Also the Daily Mail:

Screenshot_2022-06-27-13-32-20-153.thumb.jpeg.47c0060bc90e1a78064c2e7fd54fcbc0.jpeg

I genuinely don't understand the logic behind being opposed to tactical voting.  We have FPTP, it's literally the right thing to do.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

I genuinely don't understand the logic behind being opposed to tactical voting.  We have FPTP, it's literally the right thing to do.

Daily Mail: Labour's 'grubby backroom pact' with the Liberal Democrats could lead to a 'coalition of chaos' with Sir Keir Starmer as Prime Minister, Tories warn

Totally different to the fantastic squeaky clean coalition of charisma that Cameron's Conservatives had with the Liberal Democrats ofc.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, buctootim said:

Daily Mail: Labour's 'grubby backroom pact' with the Liberal Democrats could lead to a 'coalition of chaos' with Sir Keir Starmer as Prime Minister, Tories warn

Totally different to the fantastic squeaky clean coalition of charisma that Cameron's Conservatives had with the Liberal Democrats ofc.  

Or the Tories' pact with Farage's UKIP, who only stood in places where the Tories were unlikely to win...

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Daily Mail: "Waaaaaaa it's not fair. They're ganging up on the Tories!"

Screenshot_2022-06-27-13-38-22-480.thumb.jpeg.4e43f7d423ae16a6d3481a790c4a1127.jpeg

Also the Daily Mail:

Screenshot_2022-06-27-13-32-20-153.thumb.jpeg.47c0060bc90e1a78064c2e7fd54fcbc0.jpeg

Labour and the Lib Dems stood against each other in both seats anyway so not sure what they are crying about?

Edited by aintforever
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Labour and the Lib Dems stood against each other in both seats anyway so not sure what they are crying about?

I don’t think you understand how the media works. They can’t rely on substance 

More Commies undermining the country.....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-61957154

"Doctors are calling for significant pay rises to make up for what they say amounts to a 30% pay cut since 2008.

Medics at the British Medical Association (BMA) annual conference said salaries had not kept up with inflation for more than a decade.

And they warned industrial action could be on the cards if the government does not act."

• Like 1

You can try the American free market approach to Healthcare which has clearly held the price down through competition. Oh sorry it is governed by the other market force no one likes to mention when advancing the cause of capitalism every where, known as what the market will bear. Ie you charge as much as you can and will still get payed. Normally comes into play when you have a limited amount of resource such as oil, seats on trains at a certain time of day, or trained professionals, that also control how many others will be allowed in to become qualified.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mystic Force said:

You can try the American free market approach to Healthcare which has clearly held the price down through competition. Oh sorry it is governed by the other market force no one likes to mention when advancing the cause of capitalism every where, known as what the market will bear. Ie you charge as much as you can and will still get payed. Normally comes into play when you have a limited amount of resource such as oil, seats on trains at a certain time of day, or trained professionals, that also control how many others will be allowed in to become qualified.

It's also knowledge and power over vulnerable and often desperate people. If a doctor tells a patient with a life threatening illness they should have another expensive scan and blood test and follow up appointment they will do it, even if they have to sell their house and spend their kids college fees.  Its the same with advertising drugs on tv, creating demand and profit through fear 

I had a taste of profit driven healthcare in the UK when a vet tried to emotionally blackmail me into paying £1,500 for investigations on my 18 year old cat with intestinal cancer. Even though it clearly wasnt the best thing for the cat or me, it was the best thing for him.   

Edited by buctootim
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, badgerx16 said:

After lawyers and doctors, the next Trotskyites to threaten industrial action are the Police.

The thing that all these groups have in common is that they continued to get paid throughout the lockdowns. Now they want to bite the hands that feed them.

• Confused 1

38 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

The thing that all these groups have in common is that they continued to get paid throughout the lockdowns. Now they want to bite the hands that feed them.

What most doctors (imo) really want is less constant pressure and rushed, ill thought through treatment.. That means either more NHS staff or some kind of prioritisation so they arent being forced to offer everything to everybody against a backdrop of ever increasing demand. It's not about salary its about quality of life. Clinicians can't control workload so they demand more cash for putting up with often unbearable conditions. The more salary they get enables them to work part time, which just increases the pressure elsewhere. 

What we really need is to get better at accepting that there is no point giving 85 year old patients a third bout of intensive cancer treatment, for example. 

Edited by buctootim

1 hour ago, Whitey Grandad said:

And continued to work so sort of justified. And paid taxes to subsidise all those pointless jobs that took furlough money

• Like 1

1 hour ago, whelk said:

Got to be fair to Johnson, it’s hard to fault him on his Ukraine rhetoric

Indeed, as he tried to suggest in the commons, the opposition would have supported Russia...

About the same time that he said he was the first one to support Ukraine, when he wasn't.

Do we really believe that the UK could only support this cause with him at the helm? I think any British PM would have done this, and probably more.

Boris the plucky war leader is just another cartoon PR soundbite - filed along with big decisions right, leading the world, bonfire of red tape, arms around business, rolled-out the vaccine, unprecedented, global Britain etc, yawn, etc.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, rallyboy said:

Indeed, as he tried to suggest in the commons, the opposition would have supported Russia...

About the same time that he said he was the first one to support Ukraine, when he wasn't.

Do we really believe that the UK could only support this cause with him at the helm? I think any British PM would have done this, and probably more.

Boris the plucky war leader is just another cartoon PR soundbite - filed along with big decisions right, leading the world, bonfire of red tape, arms around business, rolled-out the vaccine, unprecedented, global Britain etc, yawn, etc.

I am not talking about that bs more his words that are what I want to hear. Not this off ramp bollocks but yes forgot about the Labour slur and by no means do I still not I think he is a complete untrustworthy cunt not fit for office.

Edited by whelk
  • Like 1

I think the handling of the Ukraine war has been Boris's finest hour so to speak, assuming you agree with helping Ukraine that is. He is an extremely popular figure in Ukraine and to them perhaps symbolizes the west's solidarity for Ukraine. Sadly his domestic shit-shows means he is on borrowed time, there's been too many fuck ups, obfuscations, economies of truth etc. Ministers used to resign at the mere whiff of scandal, there used to be a sort of unwritten code of acceptable behaviour, dear me, what ever happened to Eton. Thinking back to the Thatcher years, regardless of your politics, her cabinet were talented honourable people with a certain gravitas, perhaps it's just the times we live in but very few of our politicians seem to possess any redeeming characteristics.

As long as his deputy chief whip doesn't join the government's ever growing sexual predator team and has to resign, Boris will be fine.

Even when the other parties try to do scandal they just can't compete.

Chuck in the PM's fancy bit and their antics in his office and it's like 1970s Soho - Confessions of an Eton Twat.

We can't carry on like this, it's ridiculous.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

Tory MP Chris Pincher resigns as a Whip because he "embarrassed" himself by getting drunk in the Carlton Club. No mention of the allegation that whilst pissed up he sexually assaulted 2 men.

Badger,

I heard the assault against two men on the BBC news just now as part of their coverage

21 minutes ago, spyinthesky said:

Badger,

I heard the assault against two men on the BBC news just now as part of their coverage

Yes, but he hasn't apologised for, or even mentioned, the assaults, he only says that he has 'embarrassed myself".